Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jon Nolan 08:22 - Feb 17 with 7671 viewsitfcjoe

Is he the Cole Skuse replacement?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jon Nolan on 11:11 - Feb 17 with 1852 viewsHullblue

Jon Nolan on 09:56 - Feb 17 by PJH

I agree with you completely on Nolan.

When we signed him he was (apparently) a top third division player, he seems to me to be a very ordinary third division player now.

He retains possession, which is a plus, but only by giving the ball to someone else usually within a few feet of him.

As I have said on another thread, I think he is a waste of a place in the team that could be given to someone that contributes more.

As virtually all he does is accept the ball from one player and give it to another why not cut out the middle man (Nolan) and player A give the ball straight to player C?

I know some see something in Nolan but I certainly do not.

“As virtually all he does is accept the ball from one player and give it to another why not cut out the middle man (Nolan) and player A give the ball straight to player C?“

Because short, sharp passes often create space. Obviously if you can play a forward pass then do it, but if not you need to keep the ball moving - Nolan does this better than most imo.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Jon Nolan on 11:17 - Feb 17 with 1847 viewsSamWhiteUK

Jon Nolan on 09:56 - Feb 17 by PJH

I agree with you completely on Nolan.

When we signed him he was (apparently) a top third division player, he seems to me to be a very ordinary third division player now.

He retains possession, which is a plus, but only by giving the ball to someone else usually within a few feet of him.

As I have said on another thread, I think he is a waste of a place in the team that could be given to someone that contributes more.

As virtually all he does is accept the ball from one player and give it to another why not cut out the middle man (Nolan) and player A give the ball straight to player C?

I know some see something in Nolan but I certainly do not.

As virtually all goals come from passing the ball at least once, why don't we just cut out all outfield players and just have Holy shoot at goal all game?
Jon Nolan on 11:20 - Feb 17 with 1844 viewsurbanblue

Jon Nolan on 11:11 - Feb 17 by Hullblue

“As virtually all he does is accept the ball from one player and give it to another why not cut out the middle man (Nolan) and player A give the ball straight to player C?“

Because short, sharp passes often create space. Obviously if you can play a forward pass then do it, but if not you need to keep the ball moving - Nolan does this better than most imo.

Of course, the thing that no one has mentioned in this thread is what Nolan is actually told to do by Lambert. His job may well be to keep things ticking along looking for the breakthrough, so to speak.

Last season, before his injury he was really starting to perform and seemed to be making some nice runs into the box and indeed got a couple of really good goals. I don't know why he doesn't appear to be doing that this year unless, as I said, he's been told to stay deeper.

I like him though, and think he has a part to play!
Jon Nolan on 12:09 - Feb 17 with 1810 viewsRegencyBlue

During his time here I have to say I've been pretty underwhelmed. He certainly has never been the player we were promised when he was signed.

During his better games there have been a few signs there is a decent player there but generally he seems to have little impact.
Jon Nolan on 12:11 - Feb 17 with 1810 viewsReuser_is_God

Jon Nolan on 10:02 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

Yeah, he was very clear that he's not a number 10. He's a box to box player, just not a brilliant one.

It's tough, we've got a few CMs that probably could do with a run of games to build match sharpness and confidence and to get the best out of them - I'm thinking young Dozzer here too - but such is the level of competition in that area that you have to play well to keep your place. It's a bit of a catch 22. I do think there's a player there in Nolan but he doesn't show it often enough. For me, Downes and Huws are out best pairing in CM. In the long run I'd love to see Bishop join them in a trio.

Agreed but I don't think there is a long run with Downes.

He's getting better & better each week, he's off in the summer.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Jon Nolan on 12:26 - Feb 17 with 1800 viewsHerbivore

Jon Nolan on 12:11 - Feb 17 by Reuser_is_God

Agreed but I don't think there is a long run with Downes.

He's getting better & better each week, he's off in the summer.

You may well be right. If we go up we might be able to keep him but I'm not sure I can see us pulling it off.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jon Nolan on 12:31 - Feb 17 with 1792 viewsReuser_is_God

Jon Nolan on 12:26 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

You may well be right. If we go up we might be able to keep him but I'm not sure I can see us pulling it off.

Yeah I'm not sure we'll keep him but we'd probably get a higher fee for him if we did go up.

Evans out

Jon Nolan on 12:36 - Feb 17 with 1784 viewsLankHenners

Jon Nolan on 12:31 - Feb 17 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah I'm not sure we'll keep him but we'd probably get a higher fee for him if we did go up.

Best case scenario if we went up would be holding onto him until January I reckon. And you know what will happen then - we'll still sell him for what will be considered an undervalued price then get a load of spiel from Evans and Lambert (who'll unfortunately still be here) about how difficult it is to get players in in January because they cost a lot of money.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Jon Nolan on 12:40 - Feb 17 with 1770 viewsReuser_is_God

Jon Nolan on 12:36 - Feb 17 by LankHenners

Best case scenario if we went up would be holding onto him until January I reckon. And you know what will happen then - we'll still sell him for what will be considered an undervalued price then get a load of spiel from Evans and Lambert (who'll unfortunately still be here) about how difficult it is to get players in in January because they cost a lot of money.

If that is the case then he will be a 7 figure player by then, anything less would be a disgrace.

Sell in summer if we stay down: £3-4m
Sell in summer if we go up: £5-6m
Sell in January 2021 as a Championship club: £10m

Evans out

Jon Nolan on 12:48 - Feb 17 with 1762 viewsFPL_Tractor

Kinda hoping Nydam and/or McGavin will gradually take over myself.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Jon Nolan on 14:18 - Feb 17 with 1703 viewsHerbivore

Jon Nolan on 12:36 - Feb 17 by LankHenners

It's not generally been our MO to sell our better players in January.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jon Nolan on 14:23 - Feb 17 with 1699 viewsLankHenners

Jon Nolan on 14:18 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

It's not generally been our MO to sell our better players in January.

No and I think he'll go in the summer regardless of which division we're in unfortunately. If we did go up, keep him and he maintains or improves his current performance level, I feel we'll be in 'offers we can't refuse' territory come January.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Jon Nolan on 14:34 - Feb 17 with 1671 viewsPJH

Jon Nolan on 11:11 - Feb 17 by Hullblue

I agree and he does keep the ball moving but almost all the time his only thought seems to be to give the ball to someone else. On the few occasions that he attempts a telling forward pass they more often than not seem to be over hit.

I said some people rate him but I do not, just my opinion.

I said yesterday that Bishop did more in his first 65 seconds on the pitch on Saturday than Nolan did in his 65 minutes or so.

I just think that he contributes very little worthwhile whilst I accept that he usually retains possession for the team because in that respect almost all of his passes are over such a short distance that there is very little chance of them going astray.
Jon Nolan on 14:46 - Feb 17 with 1652 viewsHullblue

Jon Nolan on 14:34 - Feb 17 by PJH

I agree and he does keep the ball moving but almost all the time his only thought seems to be to give the ball to someone else. On the few occasions that he attempts a telling forward pass they more often than not seem to be over hit.

I said some people rate him but I do not, just my opinion.

I said yesterday that Bishop did more in his first 65 seconds on the pitch on Saturday than Nolan did in his 65 minutes or so.

I just think that he contributes very little worthwhile whilst I accept that he usually retains possession for the team because in that respect almost all of his passes are over such a short distance that there is very little chance of them going astray.

I think that’s where we differ - for me that ability to keep it simple is so important and it gives the other ball players a chance to play.

I love Teddy too but if we had three players like him or Judge in our midfield then we’d be in trouble. They both take risks every time they get the ball, which is great, but if Nolan did that too then the ball would be less likely to end up at their feet in the first place.

Not saying he’s perfect - he is too conservative at times. As other people have said, I think he’s just a different player to the one we all expected.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Jon Nolan on 14:58 - Feb 17 with 1624 viewsPJH

Jon Nolan on 14:46 - Feb 17 by Hullblue

I think that’s where we differ - for me that ability to keep it simple is so important and it gives the other ball players a chance to play.

I love Teddy too but if we had three players like him or Judge in our midfield then we’d be in trouble. They both take risks every time they get the ball, which is great, but if Nolan did that too then the ball would be less likely to end up at their feet in the first place.

Not saying he’s perfect - he is too conservative at times. As other people have said, I think he’s just a different player to the one we all expected.

I agree with your last point because I think he got in the League One team of the year when Shrewsbury made the playoffs-I would assume and imagine that to do that he must of done more than make two yard passes almost all game almost every game.

I also agree that you need players with a variety of abilities to make a successful midfield combination but my personal opinion is that Jon Nolan should not be one of them because I think we have others that can do what he does PLUS a lot more.

I would say that Huws can make two yard passes but he can do a lot more besides.

It will be interesting, depending on fitness, what team gets selected next Saturday, particularly in midfield.
Jon Nolan on 18:09 - Feb 17 with 1549 viewsKeaneish

Jon Nolan on 09:58 - Feb 17 by TRUE_BLUE123

Think he said he wasn't a number 10 didn't he

Must have mis-read that then. Either way, if he’s box-to-box he needs to show a lot more in the final third. Struggling to think of any lung busting runs from one end to the other either starting in a ball winning tackle or endI got in an attempt on goal. There’s a chance for him to cement a place if he wants to be that player as we need it, he just needs to do it!

He does have a goal in him though and we need as many as we can get. PL rates him too. Expecting him to start more now as Huws has been hit and miss during a consistent run of games.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 18:09]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Jon Nolan on 18:16 - Feb 17 with 1539 viewsDoctor_Earman

He should be shipped out imo. Hasn't got anywhere near the heights of his Shrewsbury days and we are overloaded with midfield options anyway. Sell while we can.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024