Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Perspective 01:34 - Feb 23 with 6306 viewsTangledupin_Blue

This morning my dad, aged 95, was taken ill. He has had a heart attack, he has pneumonia and is delirious with a UTI. The delirium has him thinking that we, the hospital staff and I, are all against him because we can't help him to his feet. He thinks that if only we would do that, he could walk out of here (Ipswich Hospital) and go home. He keeps trying to remove the various tubes; the oxygen mask, the catheter, the intravenous drip thing. At one point I took my eye off him and when I looked again he had the drip between his teeth trying to rip it from his wrist. The consultant thinks it unlikely that he will recover.

I have been sat beside him for most of the last 15 hours. At one point I popped home (I live a few minutes walk from the hospital) to find that the freezer has packed up and the food within is now soggy rather than frozen solid. It will just have to stay like that for now.

At some point a football match was lost.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Perspective on 10:13 - Feb 23 with 1700 viewsGuthrum

Best wishes and hope the situation improves markedly and soon. Dealing with someone delerious is a terrible thing, wanting to help, but there is literally nothing you can do, however much they plead. In reality, by being supportive, you are already doing the best thing you can.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Perspective on 10:22 - Feb 23 with 1689 viewsclive_baker

Really sorry to hear that. You’re right re. perspective, football really is unimportant in the context of life.

Stay strong, I hope things improve for you.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Perspective on 10:28 - Feb 23 with 1683 viewsclive_baker

Perspective on 05:15 - Feb 23 by Ryorry

Awful, so sorry to hear this.

Had been thinking along similar lines re perspective & unimportance of football earlier, when it was on news that a whole family had been wiped out in a RTA in Scotland - parents & their 2 young daughters. How the remaining extended family can even begin to cope with that I cannot imagine.

Also people whose homes, businesses & lives have been wrecked for 3rd time in 7 years from flooding, incl elderly & disabled people.

Properly horrible, tragic stuff going on out there. World can be a sh1t place.

Feel for you, Tangled.

Sure is. The speed at which life can be completely changed too, it’s mad really. Hit home recently as a colleague of mine is from a very wealthy family, and gets paid well, they’ve got a stunning house with indoor pool and all that jazz. In January their 12 year old son was running next to the pool to dive in which he had probably done many times before, he slipped and banged his head on the tiles and although he’s survived, he’s got no movement in his body and is severely brain damaged and currently in full time care at a brain rehabilitation centre in Surrey. It was a normal Saturday morning 30 seconds earlier, and now this for them.

Never take for granted those around you that you love kids, and be kind to people.

X

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Perspective on 13:02 - Feb 23 with 1647 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Thank you all for your kind messages. They are much appreciated.

Perspective on 13:29 - Feb 23 with 1634 viewsTractorCam

Sorry to hear mate, hope he makes a recovery! Like you say things like this really puts a pointless football game into perspective.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Perspective on 13:39 - Feb 23 with 1629 viewsPecker

Sorry to hear your sad news. Unfortunately, I am still furious about yesterdays match.
Perspective on 13:41 - Feb 23 with 1624 viewsfooters

Sorry to hear that, chap. Best of luck to you, your father and to a lesser extent your freezer. Keep your chin up :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Perspective on 13:53 - Feb 23 with 1607 viewsronnyd

Perspective on 02:35 - Feb 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

Thanks Jeera. Yes, he had a UTI some time ago and became convinced that everyone was stealing things from him. The reality was that, with his failing memory, he was forgetting where he'd left them. So, thinking he was being robbed, he started hiding things away and couldn't remember that he had hidden them. So more accusations.

Just now I couldn't give a stuff about the freezer but thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear about your Dad mate. My old Dad, now sadly gone, was exactly the same when he had his UTI,s. As others have said, it's a completely different persona. Hope things go for you whatever the long term outcome. Chin up mate.
Login to get fewer ads

Perspective on 16:46 - Feb 23 with 1570 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Perspective on 02:35 - Feb 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

Thanks Jeera. Yes, he had a UTI some time ago and became convinced that everyone was stealing things from him. The reality was that, with his failing memory, he was forgetting where he'd left them. So, thinking he was being robbed, he started hiding things away and couldn't remember that he had hidden them. So more accusations.

Just now I couldn't give a stuff about the freezer but thanks anyway.

It never rains but it pours.
My dad was convinced he was giving a nurse a piggy back due to his UTI when he was in a hospice a few years back! Fwiw the thoughts of Miss Slave and myself are with you.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 16:53]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Perspective on 17:26 - Feb 23 with 1542 viewsDarth_Koont

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there.

Pronouns: He/Him

Perspective on 19:26 - Feb 23 with 1491 viewsDebsyAngel

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and what a terrible situation you are in.

Football takes a back seat a lot of the times with me too - I have been constantly ill since March 2019 and I get to most games at home, but some I have to miss and although it saddens me, I have to put my health first.

I hope your Dad gets better and that things start to look up for you. x
Perspective on 19:37 - Feb 23 with 1476 viewsRyorry

Perspective on 19:26 - Feb 23 by DebsyAngel

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and what a terrible situation you are in.

Football takes a back seat a lot of the times with me too - I have been constantly ill since March 2019 and I get to most games at home, but some I have to miss and although it saddens me, I have to put my health first.

I hope your Dad gets better and that things start to look up for you. x

Really sorry to hear you've been ill, and for so long Debsy.

Hope you get a lot of improvement very soon.

hugs x
R.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Perspective on 19:42 - Feb 23 with 1466 viewsDebsyAngel

Perspective on 19:37 - Feb 23 by Ryorry

Really sorry to hear you've been ill, and for so long Debsy.

Hope you get a lot of improvement very soon.

hugs x
R.

Thank Ryorry - I don;t often post on here about it but I am sure most people know. I started some prednisolone today and just hoping they do something. Got terrible rib and side cramps already. I cannot get help on my other issue as there is a national shortage of the meds I need. Cheers for your kind words and don't mean to hijack the OP xx
Perspective on 19:50 - Feb 23 with 1449 viewsRyorry

Perspective on 19:42 - Feb 23 by DebsyAngel

Thank Ryorry - I don;t often post on here about it but I am sure most people know. I started some prednisolone today and just hoping they do something. Got terrible rib and side cramps already. I cannot get help on my other issue as there is a national shortage of the meds I need. Cheers for your kind words and don't mean to hijack the OP xx

Shocked to hear about the meds :(

You didn't hijack the OP btw.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Perspective on 19:52 - Feb 23 with 1446 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Perspective on 19:42 - Feb 23 by DebsyAngel

Again thank you all for the messages of support. I am proud and a little humbled to be part of this TWTD family.

And I hope you, Debsy, can continue to find strength.

Perspective on 19:58 - Feb 23 with 1425 viewsDebsyAngel

Perspective on 19:52 - Feb 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

Again thank you all for the messages of support. I am proud and a little humbled to be part of this TWTD family.

And I hope you, Debsy, can continue to find strength.

Thank you for being so kind, despite all your problems. I try to be this way to others also. Take care xx
Perspective on 21:19 - Feb 23 with 1390 viewsm14_blue

Best of luck mate, hope all goes well and he gets out of there.

My mum has a terminal condition and seemed to be going crazy in the immediate aftermath of the diagnosis (convinced all the doctors and nurses had it in for her and were conspiring against her). It was absolutely terrifying as it seems like the beginning of the end. Turns out it was a relatively common side effect of the ludicrously strong steroids she’d been prescribed.

Everything seems so much easier when you can at least talk rationally about things and face them as a family.
Perspective on 21:23 - Feb 23 with 1380 viewsSwailsey

Very sorry to read this. Sending best wishes and strength to you and yours.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Perspective on 21:29 - Feb 23 with 1370 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Thoughts and prayers with you. Nothing like feeling helpless in the situation.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024