Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ryan Lowe? 14:16 - Feb 24 with 3587 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Would you take him?

Unbelievable job given circumstances at Bury, doing a good job at Plymouth, 4th in the league, only 4 points splitting the top four.

I know it is hypothetical, and someone will say "we already have a manager".

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Ryan Lowe? on 14:20 - Feb 24 with 2529 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Sadly, as much as I would love an up and coming manager to build us an identity, we couldn't have probably asked for a better manager on paper than Hurst.

The job he did Ilkeston was superb and then a great job at Grimsby and then took Shrewsbury to the brink of the Championship. Lowe under Evans could be another disaster.

Ideally we are going to be looking at free agents and largely League One players who are proven. We need a manager who knows this division, like a Nathan Jones, Phil Parkinson, Simon Grayson type (not actually him though - god no) that can assembly a team from free agents using the lure of us being one of the biggest few clubs in the division.

The dream is going to be a Phil Parkinson type building a team of players that consider themselves too good for Rochdale, Burton and Lincoln but aren't good enough for the Championship.

That's us now.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Ryan Lowe? on 14:22 - Feb 24 with 2516 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

I don't think his job at Plymouth is that remarkable when he took all of the players from Bury with him, to supplement an already strong squad. The real test will be whether he can keep them in League One should they be promoted

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Ryan Lowe? on 14:23 - Feb 24 with 2508 viewskizaitfc

Ryan Lowe? on 14:20 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Sadly, as much as I would love an up and coming manager to build us an identity, we couldn't have probably asked for a better manager on paper than Hurst.

The job he did Ilkeston was superb and then a great job at Grimsby and then took Shrewsbury to the brink of the Championship. Lowe under Evans could be another disaster.

Ideally we are going to be looking at free agents and largely League One players who are proven. We need a manager who knows this division, like a Nathan Jones, Phil Parkinson, Simon Grayson type (not actually him though - god no) that can assembly a team from free agents using the lure of us being one of the biggest few clubs in the division.

The dream is going to be a Phil Parkinson type building a team of players that consider themselves too good for Rochdale, Burton and Lincoln but aren't good enough for the Championship.

That's us now.

You could argue Lambert knows this league, when you look at his signings he hasn't done badly with the budget of £0.

McCarthy had the knowledge of the Championship and even he failed to really have us competing, with the exception of one year.

Most of our players are Hurst's signings, where it looked like he was putting together a L1 all star squad, so why are they not performing at this level???

For me this issue is far deeper than the man stood in the dugout

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Ryan Lowe? on 14:27 - Feb 24 with 2482 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Ryan Lowe? on 14:23 - Feb 24 by kizaitfc

You could argue Lambert knows this league, when you look at his signings he hasn't done badly with the budget of £0.

McCarthy had the knowledge of the Championship and even he failed to really have us competing, with the exception of one year.

Most of our players are Hurst's signings, where it looked like he was putting together a L1 all star squad, so why are they not performing at this level???

For me this issue is far deeper than the man stood in the dugout

Lambert knew the division ten years ago and his last visit to it was with a relegated side that should have bounced back.

You could argue the same applies here, but even Norwich supplemented their squad with some other players proven at this level.

We should really have been targeting outstanding performers at this level from the smaller clubs who are out of contract in the summer and picking them up for peanuts. Could easily have added 3 or 4 players for £100,000 each rather than Rochdale or Accrington losing them for nothing in July.

The issue is much deeper but at least with Mick he was kind of working against Evans by trying to defy his budget. Lambert seems happy to plod along with no planning. You only need to look at the end of last season and the start of this to see there was no correlation at all between the two or any evidence of planning.

If teams hadn't feared us and sat deep in August / September god knows where we'd be!

Ryan Lowe? on 14:27 - Feb 24 with 2480 viewsitfcjoe

It's taken him a long while to get going at Plymouth and they are one of the sides expected to be right up there so would keep powder dry on him for now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ryan Lowe? on 14:30 - Feb 24 with 2468 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ryan Lowe? on 14:20 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

That's us now.

Whilst I agree on the Hurst point, on paper he was just the man we need, and he possibly would have done a good job in League 1. He went about it the wrong way, or Doig did, but his idea that this club needed a shake up was correct and in my opinion still very much does.

I think people like Lambert/McCarthy/Jewell/Parkinson/Grayson/Adkins et al. is that ultimately they are on the managerial merry-go-round and are looking for another contract. I think with managers such as Hurst/Lowe/McGreal/Robinson and other younger managers that have been mentioned on here is that they want a project and still have much to prove.

That is what we need, because unfortunately this club needs a wake and shake up, very much a relaxed culture at Ipswich, it is a very easy ride with little ambition.

Ryan Lowe? on 14:32 - Feb 24 with 2452 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Ryan Lowe? on 14:30 - Feb 24 by TheTrueBlue1878

Whilst I agree on the Hurst point, on paper he was just the man we need, and he possibly would have done a good job in League 1. He went about it the wrong way, or Doig did, but his idea that this club needed a shake up was correct and in my opinion still very much does.

I think people like Lambert/McCarthy/Jewell/Parkinson/Grayson/Adkins et al. is that ultimately they are on the managerial merry-go-round and are looking for another contract. I think with managers such as Hurst/Lowe/McGreal/Robinson and other younger managers that have been mentioned on here is that they want a project and still have much to prove.

That is what we need, because unfortunately this club needs a wake and shake up, very much a relaxed culture at Ipswich, it is a very easy ride with little ambition.

We have that amazing ability of failing with a young and up and coming manager and an experienced manager.

We may as well give it to a kid that's got us into Europe on Football Manager now!

Ryan Lowe? on 14:34 - Feb 24 with 2443 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ryan Lowe? on 14:27 - Feb 24 by itfcjoe

It's taken him a long while to get going at Plymouth and they are one of the sides expected to be right up there so would keep powder dry on him for now

We are one of the sides that are meant to be up there, if that is even a thing. But we know that it doesn't work out like that.

You are where you are because you deserve, think he is doing a very credible job.

Login to get fewer ads

Ryan Lowe? on 14:36 - Feb 24 with 2438 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ryan Lowe? on 14:32 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

We have that amazing ability of failing with a young and up and coming manager and an experienced manager.

We may as well give it to a kid that's got us into Europe on Football Manager now!

We have an amazing ability to balls so much up at the club. It stems from the helm, but there simply isn't enough genuine football men at the club.

I think Bryan Klug is very credible and has done a very good job with Academy process, but you can't really look much further.

Ryan Lowe? on 14:38 - Feb 24 with 2429 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ryan Lowe? on 14:27 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Lambert knew the division ten years ago and his last visit to it was with a relegated side that should have bounced back.

You could argue the same applies here, but even Norwich supplemented their squad with some other players proven at this level.

We should really have been targeting outstanding performers at this level from the smaller clubs who are out of contract in the summer and picking them up for peanuts. Could easily have added 3 or 4 players for £100,000 each rather than Rochdale or Accrington losing them for nothing in July.

The issue is much deeper but at least with Mick he was kind of working against Evans by trying to defy his budget. Lambert seems happy to plod along with no planning. You only need to look at the end of last season and the start of this to see there was no correlation at all between the two or any evidence of planning.

If teams hadn't feared us and sat deep in August / September god knows where we'd be!

"We should really have been targeting outstanding performers at this level from the smaller clubs who are out of contract in the summer and picking them up for peanuts. Could easily have added 3 or 4 players for £100,000 each rather than Rochdale or Accrington losing them for nothing in July"

This over and over again, I am kicking and screaming for this sort of approach, begging for it. We will never be a club with mass spending under Evans, but the purse strings have to be loosened ever so slightly for these kind of lower league talents, otherwise where is the hope or ambition for fans?
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 14:57]

Surely Richie Wellens is.... on 14:39 - Feb 24 with 2422 viewsBloots

....doing a better job?

As per my previous post.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Ryan Lowe? on 14:48 - Feb 24 with 2387 viewshamburger_sv

Surely Richie Wellens is.... on 14:39 - Feb 24 by Bloots

....doing a better job?

As per my previous post.

David Artell at Crewe is another option.

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

Ryan Lowe? on 14:53 - Feb 24 with 2339 viewskizaitfc

Ryan Lowe? on 14:27 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Your third paragraph sounds like what we did last year

When did Mick defy Evans budget?

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Yep, not a lot between them..... on 14:55 - Feb 24 with 2328 viewsBloots

Ryan Lowe? on 14:48 - Feb 24 by hamburger_sv

David Artell at Crewe is another option.

....to be honest.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Ryan Lowe? on 14:56 - Feb 24 with 2328 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Ryan Lowe? on 14:53 - Feb 24 by kizaitfc

Your third paragraph sounds like what we did last year

When did Mick defy Evans budget?

He was given a budget that was nowhere near good enough for the Championship and signed £5m players to be like Waghorn for £250k.

He well and truly defied the budget with Mings for £10k and McGoldrick for free.

Surely Richie Wellens is.... on 14:56 - Feb 24 with 2324 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Surely Richie Wellens is.... on 14:39 - Feb 24 by Bloots

....doing a better job?

As per my previous post.

Quite possibly to be fair!

Didn't cross my mind, but indeed that is a very good shout.

I only thought Lowe because he's doing a good job this year, and an incredible one last year given circumstances, bit more consistency I guess.

Ryan Lowe? on 15:01 - Feb 24 with 2299 viewskizaitfc

Ryan Lowe? on 14:56 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

He was given a budget that was nowhere near good enough for the Championship and signed £5m players to be like Waghorn for £250k.

He well and truly defied the budget with Mings for £10k and McGoldrick for free.

That isnt defying a budget that is sticking to a budget!

Lambert has signed players like KVY, Holy, Norwood, Judge, Keane all on a smaller budget.

Yes not all of the above have proven to be as good as we hoped but they were good buys at the time and seen to be so by many on here.

With promotion I think we would have also seen Garbutt added to those but in L1 I just cannot see it.

Yes we are not playing how as well as we should but I don't think you can say Lambert has not been decent in the transfer markets he has had. Particularly given the fact he was given literally £0 in January

Ryan Lowe? on 15:04 - Feb 24 with 2283 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Ryan Lowe? on 15:01 - Feb 24 by kizaitfc

Lambert has signed players like KVY, Holy, Norwood, Judge, Keane all on a smaller budget.

Yes not all of the above have proven to be as good as we hoped but they were good buys at the time and seen to be so by many on here.

With promotion I think we would have also seen Garbutt added to those but in L1 I just cannot see it.

Yes we are not playing how as well as we should but I don't think you can say Lambert has not been decent in the transfer markets he has had. Particularly given the fact he was given literally £0 in January

In my view sticking to a budget is buying a £250k player for £250k.

Defying it is managing to get a much better player for the same.

Defying has more than one meaning in a footballing sense. I don't mean he got told he had £250k and went out and spent £8m.

Wellens was at Oldham.... on 15:05 - Feb 24 with 2276 viewsBloots

Surely Richie Wellens is.... on 14:56 - Feb 24 by TheTrueBlue1878

Quite possibly to be fair!

Didn't cross my mind, but indeed that is a very good shout.

I only thought Lowe because he's doing a good job this year, and an incredible one last year given circumstances, bit more consistency I guess.

...when it was a total basket case, so that can't really be held against him.

Noel Hunt is his assistant at Swindon, so technically that's two ex players.

Of course, if he brought his DoF with him things could be interesting!

.....I wonder.

Ryan Lowe? on 15:07 - Feb 24 with 2260 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ryan Lowe? on 15:04 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

In my view sticking to a budget is buying a £250k player for £250k.

Defying it is managing to get a much better player for the same.

Defying has more than one meaning in a footballing sense. I don't mean he got told he had £250k and went out and spent £8m.

We've been buying the Keane/Judge mould for years now. Good players, but it just stinks of same old same old pros.

Where the dynamic/young/attacking footballer we want to see - Kane Vincent Young, came from the lowest level club (Col U), but is our best player.

I guarantee, if you want to build that model and structure at the club then there is a market that we could and should be able to compete in.

If we want to continue with these standard pros, who only ever perform against Accrington, Lincoln and Burton then unfortunately, an average League 1 team is what we will become.

Wellens was at Oldham.... on 15:12 - Feb 24 with 2242 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Wellens was at Oldham.... on 15:05 - Feb 24 by Bloots

...when it was a total basket case, so that can't really be held against him.

Noel Hunt is his assistant at Swindon, so technically that's two ex players.

Of course, if he brought his DoF with him things could be interesting!

.....I wonder.

I completely agree, think it is a great case. Done a remarkable job no doubt.

Paul Jewell return as well, Boys are back in Town on the Open Day next year.

Ryan Lowe? on 15:15 - Feb 24 with 2233 viewsHerbivore

Ryan Lowe? on 15:01 - Feb 24 by kizaitfc

Keane, Judge and Norwood are on massive wages for this level and they've all disappointed on the whole. KVY cost £500k, not many sides at this level can spend that on one player. Let's also not forget that KVY, Norwood and Keane all had injuries when we signed them and that has limited their impact.

I know you hold on to some love for Lambert, mainly it seems because he's not Mick (which is a shame as Mick was a good manager who'd have walked this league) but you're having to do some serious mental gymnastics to paint him as anything other than incompetent.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It's so utterly ridiculous that.... on 15:16 - Feb 24 with 2232 viewsBloots

Wellens was at Oldham.... on 15:12 - Feb 24 by TheTrueBlue1878

I completely agree, think it is a great case. Done a remarkable job no doubt.

Paul Jewell return as well, Boys are back in Town on the Open Day next year.

....I now want it to happen and am totally convinced that it is.

I'm gonna start a new thread.

I'm so excited.

Ryan Lowe? on 15:24 - Feb 24 with 2201 viewskizaitfc

Ryan Lowe? on 15:15 - Feb 24 by Herbivore

Keane, Judge and Norwood are on massive wages for this level and they've all disappointed on the whole. KVY cost £500k, not many sides at this level can spend that on one player. Let's also not forget that KVY, Norwood and Keane all had injuries when we signed them and that has limited their impact.

I know you hold on to some love for Lambert, mainly it seems because he's not Mick (which is a shame as Mick was a good manager who'd have walked this league) but you're having to do some serious mental gymnastics to paint him as anything other than incompetent.

Are Keane, Judge and Norwood on more than Chambers and Skuse maybe even Sears is still on more?

£500k for KVY was a great price

Your obsession with Mick and having to mention him in every comment related to my posts is odd, yes you are correct he was a good manager. You cannot say he would have walked this league however because noone can know that for sure especially with the current crop of players.

My point with PLs signings is, it wasnt the signing that has disappointed it is the players, any team in this league would have loved to have signed these players

Ryan Lowe? on 15:45 - Feb 24 with 2167 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Ryan Lowe? on 15:24 - Feb 24 by kizaitfc

Are Keane, Judge and Norwood on more than Chambers and Skuse maybe even Sears is still on more?

£500k for KVY was a great price

Your obsession with Mick and having to mention him in every comment related to my posts is odd, yes you are correct he was a good manager. You cannot say he would have walked this league however because noone can know that for sure especially with the current crop of players.

My point with PLs signings is, it wasnt the signing that has disappointed it is the players, any team in this league would have loved to have signed these players

Keane/Judge/Chambers/Sears/Skuse - I am not saying they are a problem, but are they are not the players we should be buying. They are not dynamic, exciting, attacking footballers, they are solid, seasoned average footballers who take hefty wages, and that is reflected on the pitch.

500k for KVY, I'm pulling my hair out, genuinely pulling my hair out, there is a market for us to build this club!
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 15:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024