Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will it be today then? 08:04 - Mar 2 with 21657 viewsBluefish

Any later and it isn't worth it, it is debatable as to whether it is already too late. It should have been done after Lincoln.

If however the replacement is a progressive opposed to a quick fix appointment, it can be done anytime

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Will it be today then? on 11:26 - Mar 3 with 1663 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:20 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If we couldn’t get good enough players to help keep us up then he shouldn’t have signed them, quite simply. Doing so was a complete waste of money

I don’t really buy it though - we’d signed 4 players by the 9th day of the window and a further 2 followed in the next 5 days. That’s the business of a team that acted quickly on a list of targets, not scrabbling around desperately on 10th and 11th choices having been rejected by everyone else

Ultimately though either his job was to try and survive in which case he failed miserably, or it was to put his in position to bounce back in which case he has failed miserably

Yep, precisely this. If you try to say that we could have stayed up the Lambert Defence League will tell you we were dead and buried before he even put a foot through the door. If you then point out that it was a waste of a decent chunk of money to sign a load of overpaid loanees in January, after Lambert himself said having too many loanees was a bad thing, the the LDL will tell you we had to give staying up a real go. The mental gymnastics some are prepared to do to back someone who is now clearly one of our worst managers ever are really quite staggering.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Will it be today then? on 11:27 - Mar 3 with 1664 viewsPJH

Will it be today then? on 11:21 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

What? People can't have it both ways. Either we were down when Lambert arrived and the decent chunk of money he was given in January ought to have been used for longer term planning, or our season wasn't dead and it was the right thing to do to throw money at expensive short term signings to try and stay up.

It's Tuesday today isn't it?

I think Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and every other Sundays are the days that are set aside for us having been relegated in October last season.

The other days are those set aside for it having been possible for a competent manager to have closed the small gap between us and safety over a long period of time.
Will it be today then? on 11:29 - Mar 3 with 1651 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:20 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If we couldn’t get good enough players to help keep us up then he shouldn’t have signed them, quite simply. Doing so was a complete waste of money

I don’t really buy it though - we’d signed 4 players by the 9th day of the window and a further 2 followed in the next 5 days. That’s the business of a team that acted quickly on a list of targets, not scrabbling around desperately on 10th and 11th choices having been rejected by everyone else

Ultimately though either his job was to try and survive in which case he failed miserably, or it was to put his in position to bounce back in which case he has failed miserably

"If we couldn’t get good enough players to help keep us up then he shouldn’t have signed them, quite simply."

How on earth could you possibly know that?! You sign what you can get/think will keep us up. You can't guarantee anything.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Will it be today then? on 11:30 - Mar 3 with 1649 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:24 - Mar 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

This conversation seems to be going round and round. You are being a little bit silly.

Mathematically we weren't down, but it was a massive up hill task for Paul Lambert. Was a tricky window to do business, and to attractive any real quality.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:25]

How am I being silly? I keep hearing from the LDL that we were down when Lambert arrived, nobody could have saved us etc. I then keep hearing justifications for him spaffing a load of cash on loanees (which he said himself he doesn't like) in January at a point where we were even further out of the race to stay up. In terms of mental gymnastics you're currently scoring a 9.9 on the difficulty scale but about a 2.3 for execution.

Will it be today then? on 11:31 - Mar 3 with 1643 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:21 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

What? People can't have it both ways. Either we were down when Lambert arrived and the decent chunk of money he was given in January ought to have been used for longer term planning, or our season wasn't dead and it was the right thing to do to throw money at expensive short term signings to try and stay up.

If Lambert had said we can't stay up so we're giving up and planning for League 1 there would have been absolute meltdown, with you at the front of it.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Will it be today then? on 11:33 - Mar 3 with 1636 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:23 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

The team was pretty good as recently as two years ago. Good enough to finish above Leeds and Norwich and only just below Sheffield United in fact.

Erm it was r2d2 who originally said the team's been cr@p for years, why aren't you having a go at him?

Will it be today then? on 11:34 - Mar 3 with 1631 viewsPJH

Will it be today then? on 11:31 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

If Lambert had said we can't stay up so we're giving up and planning for League 1 there would have been absolute meltdown, with you at the front of it.

If Lambert had said that at any interview he should not have been employed.
Will it be today then? on 11:34 - Mar 3 with 1630 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:24 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I didn’t misunderstand I just disagree. Mainly because his trajectory as manager here rather belies that theory - after taking over Keane’s ‘mess’ he only suffered 1 defeat in his first 7 games and actually gained 31 points from his first 18 (PLAYOFF FORM!)

It was after his first Summer that the problems started, with the end result a couple of years later being cut adrift at the bottom of the table and a squad stuffed with loanees and no recognised right back. A far bigger mess left than he inherited for sure - but it was definitely all Keane’s fault

I didn't say it was all Keane's fault. Jesus, you are insufferable to have a debate with.

Login to get fewer ads

Will it be today then? on 11:35 - Mar 3 with 1628 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:33 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Erm it was r2d2 who originally said the team's been cr@p for years, why aren't you having a go at him?

I don't bother reading his posts.

Will it be today then? on 11:36 - Mar 3 with 1621 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:31 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

You do realise he didn't need to say it, but instead could have used the couple of million we ended up spending on loanees to sign a couple of promising League 1 players. It's quite possible to be planning for League 1 whilst publicly not giving up on relegation. I was resigned by January anyway by the way so would have been quite happy with a couple of permanent signings with potential rather than half fit loanees on £20k+ a week.

Will it be today then? on 11:37 - Mar 3 with 1622 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:25 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well this lasted long then

Herbi, CHealy, Bloots, Chickers, HaynesToe, & many others - I owe you an apology by BrixtonBlue 11 Feb 2020 21:54
I was wrong.

I guess hope ruled my head, but tonight's performance and result, has made me wobble. More than wobble. Maybe I just wanted Lambert to be the right man after so many false dawns. But now I'm wondering if this was another one.

That was carp. We are carp. Yes we are underfunded and I stand by that. But Lambert should be getting more out of this team against the likes of Wimbledon.

This, now, isn't good enough. I accept that. I was wrong.

Problem is, what do we do? Sack the manager? Lose the owner? Will any of these things actually turn us around? Football has died and us, or what used to be us, with it.

Where have I disagreed with that?

I've said several times over the last couple of weeks that we need a rebuild, that Lambert looks like he isn't the man for the job, but whoever comes in won't find the fans patient enough for the long job at hand.

Once again you just see my name and want to pick a fight.

Will it be today then? on 11:38 - Mar 3 with 1615 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:26 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We haven’t been cr*p for years though, 2 seasons ago we finished in the top half of the Championship which was the 4th time we’d done so in 5 years

And just like Herbs, you don't go for the poster who originally said we've been cr@p for years, you go for me. Standard.

Will it be today then? on 11:38 - Mar 3 with 1611 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:37 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Where have I disagreed with that?

I've said several times over the last couple of weeks that we need a rebuild, that Lambert looks like he isn't the man for the job, but whoever comes in won't find the fans patient enough for the long job at hand.

Once again you just see my name and want to pick a fight.

The fans would be patient if there was some evidence of a basic level of competence and signs of progress being made.

Will it be today then? on 11:39 - Mar 3 with 1608 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:38 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

And just like Herbs, you don't go for the poster who originally said we've been cr@p for years, you go for me. Standard.

Get over your persecution complex Dollers, it's not very becoming.

Will it be today then? on 11:41 - Mar 3 with 1602 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:26 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Yep, precisely this. If you try to say that we could have stayed up the Lambert Defence League will tell you we were dead and buried before he even put a foot through the door. If you then point out that it was a waste of a decent chunk of money to sign a load of overpaid loanees in January, after Lambert himself said having too many loanees was a bad thing, the the LDL will tell you we had to give staying up a real go. The mental gymnastics some are prepared to do to back someone who is now clearly one of our worst managers ever are really quite staggering.

You and Healy are a couple of absolute loons. It's you doing the mental gymnastics to satisfy your Lambert hatred.

Yes it was a very hard job but yes he still had to try and do it. It's not a difficult concept. You've lost all rationality. You're almost becoming Blubfish.

Will it be today then? on 11:44 - Mar 3 with 1595 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:34 - Mar 3 by PJH

If Lambert had said that at any interview he should not have been employed.

Absolutely. And he obviously didn't say it. But now we have the likes of Herbs and Healy saying we shouldn't have got players in short term in Jan to try and stay up, we should've just accepted our fate?! As if anyone would've accepted that!

Absolutely bonkers the pair of them.

Will it be today then? on 11:45 - Mar 3 with 1590 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:36 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

You do realise he didn't need to say it, but instead could have used the couple of million we ended up spending on loanees to sign a couple of promising League 1 players. It's quite possible to be planning for League 1 whilst publicly not giving up on relegation. I was resigned by January anyway by the way so would have been quite happy with a couple of permanent signings with potential rather than half fit loanees on £20k+ a week.

Everything's great with hindsight.

Will it be today then? on 11:48 - Mar 3 with 1584 viewsPJH

Will it be today then? on 11:44 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Absolutely. And he obviously didn't say it. But now we have the likes of Herbs and Healy saying we shouldn't have got players in short term in Jan to try and stay up, we should've just accepted our fate?! As if anyone would've accepted that!

Absolutely bonkers the pair of them.

So you are not one of the "we were relegated in October" brigade?

I am not sure whether you are or not so this is a genuine question.

If PL did make a serious effort to do what in my opinion was very doable he seems to me to have gone about it the wrong way, not in January but with his onfield approach.

edit-moved quotation marks.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:50]
Will it be today then? on 11:48 - Mar 3 with 1581 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:41 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

You and Healy are a couple of absolute loons. It's you doing the mental gymnastics to satisfy your Lambert hatred.

Yes it was a very hard job but yes he still had to try and do it. It's not a difficult concept. You've lost all rationality. You're almost becoming Blubfish.

No mental gymnastics required from me on this. And I don't hate Lambert, I just think he's totally incompetent.

Will it be today then? on 11:49 - Mar 3 with 1578 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:38 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

The fans would be patient if there was some evidence of a basic level of competence and signs of progress being made.

You've read TWTD for many years. Some of us are up for a long term build, but most aren't. And this isn't about Lambert. Whoever comes in, if he doesn't get us up straight away the bedsheets will be out (metaphorically and probably literally as well).

Will it be today then? on 11:50 - Mar 3 with 1573 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:45 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Everything's great with hindsight.

No hindsight required. After the loss to Millwall on New Year's Day I don't think anyone genuinely believed we could stay up. Do you really think that if we'd signed a couple of League 1 players on permanent deals that peoe would have been up in arms and asking why we didn't gamble on Colin Quaner? I can't see it, Dollers.

Will it be today then? on 11:51 - Mar 3 with 1570 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 11:29 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

"If we couldn’t get good enough players to help keep us up then he shouldn’t have signed them, quite simply."

How on earth could you possibly know that?! You sign what you can get/think will keep us up. You can't guarantee anything.

In which case you surely have to acknowledge that the aim was to stay up, the signings were made in an attempt to stay up and therefore he failed?

Miserably

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Will it be today then? on 11:51 - Mar 3 with 1567 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:39 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Get over your persecution complex Dollers, it's not very becoming.

Healy does it all the time. Sees my name and goes on the attack. I'll point it out every time it happens and thus prove it's real. He's not interested in debating the issues, he just wants to get one over on me.

Will it be today then? on 11:52 - Mar 3 with 1556 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 11:49 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

You've read TWTD for many years. Some of us are up for a long term build, but most aren't. And this isn't about Lambert. Whoever comes in, if he doesn't get us up straight away the bedsheets will be out (metaphorically and probably literally as well).

The problem is that many of our manages have been abject failures that aren't capable of building. Lambert was given a lot of good grace despite a pretty pitiful attempt at keeping us up last season. The issue has been that there has been no evidence at all this season that he's building anything or that he's remotely capable of doing a decent job either. Mick was allowed to rebuild and stayed for over 5 years because he was actually competent. It was only in the last 18 months that things started to go sour with the fans.

Will it be today then? on 11:53 - Mar 3 with 1553 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 11:48 - Mar 3 by PJH

So you are not one of the "we were relegated in October" brigade?

I am not sure whether you are or not so this is a genuine question.

If PL did make a serious effort to do what in my opinion was very doable he seems to me to have gone about it the wrong way, not in January but with his onfield approach.

edit-moved quotation marks.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:50]

No I don't think we were relegated in October, but I do agree that it was a very tough ask. Lambert's not blameless, but most of the blame for our relegation lies at Hurst's door. Quite obviously.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024