Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will it be today then? 08:04 - Mar 2 with 21652 viewsBluefish

Any later and it isn't worth it, it is debatable as to whether it is already too late. It should have been done after Lincoln.

If however the replacement is a progressive opposed to a quick fix appointment, it can be done anytime

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Will it be today then? on 06:44 - Mar 3 with 2705 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 12:34 - Mar 2 by TheTrueBlue1878

3 windows again doesn't really reflect the situation correctly though does it.

January 19' - Window 1 was a last minute rescue job in January where scraped the barrel for signings who wanted to come to bottom of the league relegated Ipswich.

Summer 19' was a good window - good signings - Holy, Norwood, Garbutt, Kane Vincent-Young. That is a good window for recruitment and building.

January 20 - Window 3, is that even a window for Ipswich Town, we don't do business as rule of thumb, due to financial constraints.

We do business in the summer, and its ridiculously tight budgets. Realistically at Ipswich you have to have longer to build a squad for yourself because of the financial constraints.

I understand you don't like Paul Lambert but my oh my, you really do seem to look at it through tinted glasses unfortunately.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 12:35]

I like the way you’ve listed January window 1 where we made 7 short term signings and then said for window 3 that we never do any business in January

Lambert either signed or gave new contracts to the vast majority of players used regularly this season. It’s firmly his side - and it’s a decent one at this level. The problem with Lambert isn’t so much his building of the squad but his complete inability to get the best of it, due to failure to implement any real style of play and constantly f*cking around with the formation and lineup

4 wins in 23 in the third division (or whatever it is now) is appalling, and it baffles me that people are still trying to defend the manager against that record quite frankly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Will it be today then? on 06:46 - Mar 3 with 2700 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 00:01 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

I was asking Mercian, but thanks for your contribution (unless you are Mercian and have two logins).

Having seen what he did in the short time he was here, I can believe he would do worse. They're not really comparable situations though.

He's also done terrible since he left.

History seems to be repeating in people's perceptions. Jewell was only as bad as Keane because he inherited Keane's mess. Similarly Lambert has had to play the hand Hurst left behind.

Some on here have such short memories. I feel sorry for the chap that comes after Lambert, if, as it seems likely, Lambert fails. Because he's going to take the rap for all our woes, whoever he may be.

‘Jewell was only as bad as Keane because he inherited Keane’s mess’

Nothing to do with being an absolutely clueless, washed up chancer then?

Will it be today then? on 08:18 - Mar 3 with 2665 viewsChrisd

Will it be today then? on 10:52 - Mar 2 by textbackup

the first goal Saturday saw Garbutt, Huws/Downes and Holy fck up.....

PL is crap, but even you cant blame him for the above situation, can u?

The second one was just as bad. Two Town players not capable of stopping the cross and allowing the Blackpool striker to have a free header in the 6 yard box, literally no Town defender in sight! Holy wasn't to blame for that, he's probably taken up a starting position in the middle of his goal expecting the cross into the middle of the penalty area and had to rush forward as no defender was anywhere near the attacker. The bloke has headed it outside the near post, that's a lot of ground to make up in a short space of time.

That's just basic defending that you learn as a child, that's not on the manager.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 8:41]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Will it be today then? on 08:46 - Mar 3 with 2640 viewsitfcjoe

Will it be today then? on 00:01 - Mar 3 by Melford

It's a big thing, pretty much anything built before 1999 may have it in it and any place that has it needs to be regularly needs to be surveyed and managed due to HSE regulations.

Where are you based? We use asbestos companies semi-regularly and seems so man fly-by-nights

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Will it be today then? on 08:54 - Mar 3 with 2631 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Will it be today then? on 06:44 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I like the way you’ve listed January window 1 where we made 7 short term signings and then said for window 3 that we never do any business in January

Lambert either signed or gave new contracts to the vast majority of players used regularly this season. It’s firmly his side - and it’s a decent one at this level. The problem with Lambert isn’t so much his building of the squad but his complete inability to get the best of it, due to failure to implement any real style of play and constantly f*cking around with the formation and lineup

4 wins in 23 in the third division (or whatever it is now) is appalling, and it baffles me that people are still trying to defend the manager against that record quite frankly

That isn't what I said though; "we don't do business as rule of thumb" were my words, and I think history would suggest this. Last season were exempt circumstances, Evans and Lambert were trying to salvage a relegation campaign by searching the bottom of the bins.

I think out of the 7 that were signed in January 19', only 2 are still here.

This still isn't his squad, given our financial constraints, it will take longer than a usual manager would need.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Will it be today then? on 08:57 - Mar 3 with 2615 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 08:18 - Mar 3 by Chrisd

The second one was just as bad. Two Town players not capable of stopping the cross and allowing the Blackpool striker to have a free header in the 6 yard box, literally no Town defender in sight! Holy wasn't to blame for that, he's probably taken up a starting position in the middle of his goal expecting the cross into the middle of the penalty area and had to rush forward as no defender was anywhere near the attacker. The bloke has headed it outside the near post, that's a lot of ground to make up in a short space of time.

That's just basic defending that you learn as a child, that's not on the manager.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 8:41]

The guy that scored was Earl's man. Earl rushed out wide to stop the cross coming in and failed to do so. Garbutt should never have let the ball get to that point in the first place. I'd be tempted to shift Earl to left back and move Garbutt back up the pitch. He's a good footballer but not a natural defender.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Will it be today then? on 09:00 - Mar 3 with 2605 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 08:54 - Mar 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

That isn't what I said though; "we don't do business as rule of thumb" were my words, and I think history would suggest this. Last season were exempt circumstances, Evans and Lambert were trying to salvage a relegation campaign by searching the bottom of the bins.

This still isn't his squad, given our financial constraints, it will take longer than a usual manager would need.

It is his squad. As has been pointed out, he signed or gave new contracts to virtually all of the players that have featured in more than a third of our games. Stop excusing the man. He's utterly clueless. And he probably could have done some more business this January if he wasn't targeting the likes of Connor bloody Wickham on £50k a week.

Will it be today then? on 09:19 - Mar 3 with 2588 viewsChrisd

Will it be today then? on 08:57 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

The guy that scored was Earl's man. Earl rushed out wide to stop the cross coming in and failed to do so. Garbutt should never have let the ball get to that point in the first place. I'd be tempted to shift Earl to left back and move Garbutt back up the pitch. He's a good footballer but not a natural defender.

Not disputing that, both goals were avoidable. Nevertheless, if Earl is pulled over to the wide area, then the next central defender moves across to fill the gap that’s been left. That’s basic defending.

Login to get fewer ads

Will it be today then? on 09:19 - Mar 3 with 2588 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 08:54 - Mar 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

Of the 7 that were signed in January, only 2 are still here

Isn’t that part of the problem? Despite making all those signings we were still relegated pitifully, and with very little long term benefit provided

And still it firmly is his squad, as per the comment that the majority of those featuring this year have either been signed or handed contract extensions by Lambert

Will it be today then? on 09:42 - Mar 3 with 2570 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 06:46 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Jewell was only as bad as Keane because he inherited Keane’s mess’

Nothing to do with being an absolutely clueless, washed up chancer then?

I think you misunderstand me. Jewell was bad, but he was extra bad because he was inheriting what Keane left behind. The same is happening with Lambert. Unfortunately people have short memories and just want to blame the incumbent.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Will it be today then? on 09:45 - Mar 3 with 2564 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Will it be today then? on 09:19 - Mar 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Of the 7 that were signed in January, only 2 are still here

Isn’t that part of the problem? Despite making all those signings we were still relegated pitifully, and with very little long term benefit provided

And still it firmly is his squad, as per the comment that the majority of those featuring this year have either been signed or handed contract extensions by Lambert

Personally, I think the damage was done before January. I think most could see the serious damage was done in the Summer under Hurst.

Lambert could only sign a certain player, and the constraints narrowed that even more. Realistically we had to look at second string players from other sides who hadn't been playing to date, and then try and get them to come to bottom of the league Ipswich, it really was a thankless task.

I would suggest (don't know the figures exactly) that only 30-40% of this squad are Lambert's men, of the remaining 60%, I don't know exactly who Lambert would ideally keep or offload, but only time will tell with continued transfer windows to shape his own squad.

In my honest opinion, this still isn't Lambert's squad.

Will it be today then? on 09:48 - Mar 3 with 2560 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 09:45 - Mar 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

Personally, I think the damage was done before January. I think most could see the serious damage was done in the Summer under Hurst.

Lambert could only sign a certain player, and the constraints narrowed that even more. Realistically we had to look at second string players from other sides who hadn't been playing to date, and then try and get them to come to bottom of the league Ipswich, it really was a thankless task.

I would suggest (don't know the figures exactly) that only 30-40% of this squad are Lambert's men, of the remaining 60%, I don't know exactly who Lambert would ideally keep or offload, but only time will tell with continued transfer windows to shape his own squad.

Yes I agree. Unfortunately today's modern football fan is impatient and expects everything to be fixed overnight.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Will it be today then? on 09:59 - Mar 3 with 2548 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 09:19 - Mar 3 by Chrisd

Not disputing that, both goals were avoidable. Nevertheless, if Earl is pulled over to the wide area, then the next central defender moves across to fill the gap that’s been left. That’s basic defending.

You've found a way to blame Chambers? How surprising.

Will it be today then? on 10:01 - Mar 3 with 2543 viewsHerbivore

If we were already down by January then surely he could have used the funds on players that might have been able to improve us for a League 1 promotion campaign rather than spaffing it all on expensive loanees?

Will it be today then? on 10:20 - Mar 3 with 2535 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 10:01 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

If we were already down by January then surely he could have used the funds on players that might have been able to improve us for a League 1 promotion campaign rather than spaffing it all on expensive loanees?

Come on Herb's, don't be silly.

Will it be today then? on 10:29 - Mar 3 with 2531 viewsChrisd

Will it be today then? on 09:59 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

You've found a way to blame Chambers? How surprising.

Avoid any blame of the players. How surprising!

Will it be today then? on 10:35 - Mar 3 with 2526 viewsr2d2

Will it be today then? on 09:48 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Yes I agree. Unfortunately today's modern football fan is impatient and expects everything to be fixed overnight.

Fixed over night? The team has been cr@p for years. But that wont alter until Evans gives some money to buy some decent player. Which wont happen. So we are scrambling around in pound land for poor/injured players.
Will it be today then? on 10:48 - Mar 3 with 2517 viewsBrixtonBlue

Will it be today then? on 10:35 - Mar 3 by r2d2

Fixed over night? The team has been cr@p for years. But that wont alter until Evans gives some money to buy some decent player. Which wont happen. So we are scrambling around in pound land for poor/injured players.

Yes the team has been cr@p for years - which is precisely why it won't be fixed overnight.

Will it be today then? on 11:20 - Mar 3 with 2495 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If we couldn’t get good enough players to help keep us up then he shouldn’t have signed them, quite simply. Doing so was a complete waste of money

I don’t really buy it though - we’d signed 4 players by the 9th day of the window and a further 2 followed in the next 5 days. That’s the business of a team that acted quickly on a list of targets, not scrabbling around desperately on 10th and 11th choices having been rejected by everyone else

Ultimately though either his job was to try and survive in which case he failed miserably, or it was to put his in position to bounce back in which case he has failed miserably

Will it be today then? on 11:21 - Mar 3 with 2492 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 10:20 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Come on Herb's, don't be silly.

What? People can't have it both ways. Either we were down when Lambert arrived and the decent chunk of money he was given in January ought to have been used for longer term planning, or our season wasn't dead and it was the right thing to do to throw money at expensive short term signings to try and stay up.

Will it be today then? on 11:23 - Mar 3 with 2483 viewsHerbivore

Will it be today then? on 10:48 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Yes the team has been cr@p for years - which is precisely why it won't be fixed overnight.

The team was pretty good as recently as two years ago. Good enough to finish above Leeds and Norwich and only just below Sheffield United in fact.

Will it be today then? on 11:24 - Mar 3 with 2480 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Will it be today then? on 10:01 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

This conversation seems to be going round and round. You are being a little bit silly.

Mathematically we weren't down, but it was a massive up hill task for Paul Lambert. Was a tricky window to do business, and to attractive any real quality.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:25]

Will it be today then? on 11:24 - Mar 3 with 2478 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 09:42 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

I think you misunderstand me. Jewell was bad, but he was extra bad because he was inheriting what Keane left behind. The same is happening with Lambert. Unfortunately people have short memories and just want to blame the incumbent.

I didn’t misunderstand I just disagree. Mainly because his trajectory as manager here rather belies that theory - after taking over Keane’s ‘mess’ he only suffered 1 defeat in his first 7 games and actually gained 31 points from his first 18 (PLAYOFF FORM!)

It was after his first Summer that the problems started, with the end result a couple of years later being cut adrift at the bottom of the table and a squad stuffed with loanees and no recognised right back. A far bigger mess left than he inherited for sure - but it was definitely all Keane’s fault

Will it be today then? on 11:25 - Mar 3 with 2470 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 09:48 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

Well this lasted long then

Herbi, CHealy, Bloots, Chickers, HaynesToe, & many others - I owe you an apology by BrixtonBlue 11 Feb 2020 21:54
I was wrong.

I guess hope ruled my head, but tonight's performance and result, has made me wobble. More than wobble. Maybe I just wanted Lambert to be the right man after so many false dawns. But now I'm wondering if this was another one.

That was carp. We are carp. Yes we are underfunded and I stand by that. But Lambert should be getting more out of this team against the likes of Wimbledon.

This, now, isn't good enough. I accept that. I was wrong.

Problem is, what do we do? Sack the manager? Lose the owner? Will any of these things actually turn us around? Football has died and us, or what used to be us, with it.

Will it be today then? on 11:26 - Mar 3 with 2465 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will it be today then? on 10:48 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

We haven’t been cr*p for years though, 2 seasons ago we finished in the top half of the Championship which was the 4th time we’d done so in 5 years

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024