Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Likely extent of Coronavirus 15:54 - Mar 5 with 2833 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Trying to cut through the media exaggerations/truths and whilst it is abundantly clear that the answer is 'nobody really knows', but does anyone want to make an educated guess as to how Coronavirus will impact the UK?

Gone within the year and forgotten about?

Grips the nation and we have a summer of working from home/public services shut down?

Mutated virus that kills more people than Spanish Flu?

I suppose it distracts from our football related woes!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 15:59 - Mar 5 with 2792 viewsWD19

Grips the nation and we have a summer of working from home/shut down. Capacity pressure on old peoples homes will be eased for the foreseeable.

Global recession that is then blamed on the Chinese/virus (rather than the underlying true reasons the economy is/was not more resilient).
Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:00 - Mar 5 with 2777 viewsgordon

It's not that likely to mutate to become significantly more deadly, virus mutations which are more severe are less likely to be passed on because more severe symptoms are more likely to result in quicker isolation, lessening the chance of transmission.

I would have thought that a significant proportion of the population will be infected at some point over the next year, and lots of events will be cancelled over the summer, then we'll get a vaccine in a year or so, and in a couple of years people will have forgotten it ever happened.
Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 5 with 2756 viewsgordon

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 15:59 - Mar 5 by WD19

Grips the nation and we have a summer of working from home/shut down. Capacity pressure on old peoples homes will be eased for the foreseeable.

Global recession that is then blamed on the Chinese/virus (rather than the underlying true reasons the economy is/was not more resilient).

Yeah the global economy will absolutely tank, that's true.
Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 5 with 2755 viewsStokieBlue

This won't happen but it doesn't need to mutate to kill more than Spanish flu - the mortality rate in the same ballpark and it's r0 is a bit higher as well. It doesn't kill young people as easily as Spanish flu though.

It won't because we are much better prepared than 100 years ago but if you did the same numbers:

Spanish flu was thought to have infected 33% of the global population, nowadays that's about 2.8bn people and with the lower mortality rate of 1% that's 28m. With the WHO latest estimate (which seems very high) it's 84m.

As I said though, none of that will happen. Governments are taking it very seriously so that will help. It'll be a big economic hit this year with lots of people working from home and then fingers crossed a viable vaccine next year.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:03 - Mar 5 with 2732 viewsStokieBlue

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:00 - Mar 5 by gordon

It's not that likely to mutate to become significantly more deadly, virus mutations which are more severe are less likely to be passed on because more severe symptoms are more likely to result in quicker isolation, lessening the chance of transmission.

I would have thought that a significant proportion of the population will be infected at some point over the next year, and lots of events will be cancelled over the summer, then we'll get a vaccine in a year or so, and in a couple of years people will have forgotten it ever happened.

That all depends. If the more server symptoms are after the contagious incubation period like the current strain then it won't make any difference. Seems news out today says there are already two strains circulating and it's possible one is more deadly than the other. Nobody really knows yet though.

SB

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:06 - Mar 5 with 2724 viewsLord_Lucan

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:01 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

This won't happen but it doesn't need to mutate to kill more than Spanish flu - the mortality rate in the same ballpark and it's r0 is a bit higher as well. It doesn't kill young people as easily as Spanish flu though.

It won't because we are much better prepared than 100 years ago but if you did the same numbers:

Spanish flu was thought to have infected 33% of the global population, nowadays that's about 2.8bn people and with the lower mortality rate of 1% that's 28m. With the WHO latest estimate (which seems very high) it's 84m.

As I said though, none of that will happen. Governments are taking it very seriously so that will help. It'll be a big economic hit this year with lots of people working from home and then fingers crossed a viable vaccine next year.

SB

I literally just spoke with a friend who has recently come back from HK / Burma / Thailand. He got a call from Cathay the other day and they advised him that it is possible someone on the flight back had the virus.

He went for a check up and the nurse told him that they aren't overly concerned about it at the moment but are very concerned in case it mutates into something else.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:15 - Mar 5 with 2657 viewsStokieBlue

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:06 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

I literally just spoke with a friend who has recently come back from HK / Burma / Thailand. He got a call from Cathay the other day and they advised him that it is possible someone on the flight back had the virus.

He went for a check up and the nurse told him that they aren't overly concerned about it at the moment but are very concerned in case it mutates into something else.

Not sure that nurse is towing the official line or even fully understands about the virus then.

WHO put the mortality rate at 3.4%. They are always concerned about seasonal flu yet even the lowest estimates of this virus put the r0 infection rate at x2 seasonal flu and the mortality rate at x2 to x6.

SB

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:37 - Mar 5 with 2563 viewsLord_Lucan

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:15 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

Not sure that nurse is towing the official line or even fully understands about the virus then.

WHO put the mortality rate at 3.4%. They are always concerned about seasonal flu yet even the lowest estimates of this virus put the r0 infection rate at x2 seasonal flu and the mortality rate at x2 to x6.

SB

I don't pretend to know anything about the virus tbh, I'm just repeating what I was told by Fat Greg.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:09 - Mar 5 with 2425 viewsGuthrum

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 16:15 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

SB

Was talking to someone today who said there is some suggestion there may be slightly different strains, some with lower mortality but higher infection rates. The Wuhan version being more lethal, as possibly the Italian, others less so.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:14 - Mar 5 with 2391 viewsOxford_Blue

If 50% of population get the virus, which is a conservative estimate, and 1% die, that’s 400,000 dead which is going to hit certain groups (the elderly, young, those with pre existing conditions) hard.

We will all know someone who dies.

That’s very different to seasonal flu, which kills a fraction of that number in the UK.
Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 5 with 2357 viewsStokieBlue

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:09 - Mar 5 by Guthrum

Was talking to someone today who said there is some suggestion there may be slightly different strains, some with lower mortality but higher infection rates. The Wuhan version being more lethal, as possibly the Italian, others less so.

From what I read today it seems to be about a 30/70 split with most people having the worse one.

I do think it's fairly clear that nobody it really that sure at the moment.

Imagine what things must have been like when there weren't thousands of labs able to do quick genetic testing.

SB

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:24 - Mar 5 with 2319 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:26 - Mar 5 with 2306 viewsvapour_trail

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:20 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

From what I read today it seems to be about a 30/70 split with most people having the worse one.

I do think it's fairly clear that nobody it really that sure at the moment.

Imagine what things must have been like when there weren't thousands of labs able to do quick genetic testing.

SB

It has started to take up a significant amount of my time at work.

Completely agree re the facilities. However one of the people I have self isolating reported symptoms three days ago to 111 and is still awaiting a test, so if that is typical, the information flow we are receiving is well out of date at point of publication.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:31 - Mar 5 with 2268 viewsLord_Lucan

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:26 - Mar 5 by vapour_trail

Completely agree re the facilities. However one of the people I have self isolating reported symptoms three days ago to 111 and is still awaiting a test, so if that is typical, the information flow we are receiving is well out of date at point of publication.

Fat Greg got a call from Cathay at 10am and was seeing the nurse at 12.30 - and he had the results back the next day - mind you he is in Blandford Forum and I can tell you that they don't like anything foreign down there.

Apparently they stuck a cotton swab right up his hooter!

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:32 - Mar 5 with 2252 viewsvapour_trail

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:31 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Fat Greg got a call from Cathay at 10am and was seeing the nurse at 12.30 - and he had the results back the next day - mind you he is in Blandford Forum and I can tell you that they don't like anything foreign down there.

Apparently they stuck a cotton swab right up his hooter!

Are you sure Fat Greg’s not private? He has the means to be globetrotting in the first place.

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:57 - Mar 5 with 2160 viewsbluelagos

Sh1t just got real. Have booked ferries, hotel and MotoGP tickets for a week in Sept at Aragon and today they have moved the date by a week to fit in the postponed Thai MotoGP.

Right pain in the arse given I've booked a ferry, cabin, hotels and MotoGp tix for 6. Oh and the ferry is non refundable.

*Appreciate this is only a financial cost and not a loss of life which am sure could be real for many people.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:58 - Mar 5 with 2158 viewsStokieBlue

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:26 - Mar 5 by vapour_trail

The numbers are probably 14 days behind the real picture.

14 days contagious with no symptoms then 3-5 days to test.

The media don't highlight this at all though. They act as if people are only contagious when they have symptoms which is totally wrong for this virus.

SB

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:58 - Mar 5 with 2157 viewsLord_Lucan

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:32 - Mar 5 by vapour_trail

Are you sure Fat Greg’s not private? He has the means to be globetrotting in the first place.

Definitely, he's skint. He was using up his air miles (and spent half his trip in hospital with Noravirus and sunstroke) - plus he had all his cash nicked whilst he was moaning and groaning in hospital.

Fat Greg says Hi - yes this is him!

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 19:01 - Mar 5 with 2130 viewsvapour_trail

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:58 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Definitely, he's skint. He was using up his air miles (and spent half his trip in hospital with Noravirus and sunstroke) - plus he had all his cash nicked whilst he was moaning and groaning in hospital.

Looks in rude health!

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 19:07 - Mar 5 with 2101 viewsnoggin

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:58 - Mar 5 by Lord_Lucan

Why 'Fat' Greg?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 19:11 - Mar 5 with 2081 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ha, nice pants!

This is fascinating, Coronavirus versus other outbreaks.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 19:22 - Mar 5 with 2034 viewsStokieBlue

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 19:11 - Mar 5 by Swansea_Blue

Ha, nice pants!

This is fascinating, Coronavirus versus other outbreaks.

That's really interesting.

Given Covid19 has a higher r0 than either swine or Spanish flu it puts the response on perspective.

For those wondering, the r0 is the rate of infection per infected person. SARS was below 1 so that is why it died out, it killed people before they had infected others. Covid 19 is between 1.5 and 3 I believe.

SB

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 07:10 - Mar 6 with 1657 viewsgordon

Likely extent of Coronavirus on 18:58 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

The numbers are probably 14 days behind the real picture.

14 days contagious with no symptoms then 3-5 days to test.

The media don't highlight this at all though. They act as if people are only contagious when they have symptoms which is totally wrong for this virus.

SB

Not sure about that - there are obvious lags in symptoms developing, and patients getting tested, and getting the test results, but there are also an awful lot of negative nests being carried out.

In terms of understanding how prevalent the virus is in the wider population, the number of negative tests is key - we're testing a few thousand people most likely to have been exposed to the virus each day, and not getting much evidence of community transmission yet.

Also, I think the average asymptomatic incubation period is about 5-6 days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024