Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes 15:06 - Mar 13 with 4414 viewsTerry_Nutkins

What do we realistically expect to get for him and what would we be happy with? (realistic rather than snipey comments)

I could see this being in region of £4 Milion + add ons. Would be low based on his ability but clubs will known we need the cash. I would be happy with £8-10mil minimum but don't think we'll get it.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Downes on 20:16 - Mar 14 with 860 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Downes on 18:33 - Mar 14 by Ace_High1

Sadly it will be undisclosed - does anyone think undisclosed should not be allowed for transfers,surely to be transparent we should know exactly what the deal is, always used to....

But back to Downes, I think around £1.5m plus lots of silly add ons, most of which will not happen.

I genuinely don't think Evans would sanction it. I would consider £3 Mil too low but could see it.

Downes on 20:30 - Mar 14 with 854 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Just to add. I would have him at a similar trajectory to someone like Dele Alli (Forget him being a household name now it was a surprise Spurs went for him at time) who spurs paid £5 Mil for 5 years ago (fees have significantly gone up since then). Dele played further up the field which always has a slight premium. He had only played up to U19 level for England when he went to Spurs. He had only played League 1 level (Downes has played at champ and L1).

In todays market we should get more than £5 Mil but this as a minimum.

Downes on 21:40 - Mar 14 with 827 views66notout

Downes on 18:11 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

That's an awful shout.

Why? Please show your workings.
Downes on 21:48 - Mar 14 with 825 viewsBluefish

Downes on 21:40 - Mar 14 by 66notout

Why? Please show your workings.

Because there is far far more to being a footballer than goalscoring stats. See also Cole Skuse

One of the best players I ever played with scored about 2 goals in 10 years but we won far more games than we would have done without him.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Downes on 22:42 - Mar 14 with 815 views66notout

Downes on 21:48 - Mar 14 by Bluefish

Because there is far far more to being a footballer than goalscoring stats. See also Cole Skuse

One of the best players I ever played with scored about 2 goals in 10 years but we won far more games than we would have done without him.

I didn’t base my argument solely on his goalscoring stats or perhaps you would have a point.
Downes on 22:59 - Mar 14 with 809 viewsBluefish

Downes on 22:42 - Mar 14 by 66notout

I didn’t base my argument solely on his goalscoring stats or perhaps you would have a point.

I didn't base you being clueless on just that either or you might have had a point

Downes on 23:00 - Mar 14 with 808 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Downes on 17:16 - Mar 14 by 66notout

A serious player? Really? I beg to differ on what I have seen so far this season.
Two goals in 32 appearances - very average.
Does he provide defence-splitting passes? No.
Is he a game changer? No.
Discipline. Very poor.
I would be very surprised if a Premier League club wanted to sign him at the moment and I see Woolfy as a much better prospect.

In fairness i think Downes has a lot of outstanding qualities you don't cover and a hell of a lot of potential.which a higher club would be paying for. It's potential with a tangible year on year improvement to go with it.

Two goals being very average. Ok let's accept that as he's increasingly box to box although i don't think it would worry any potential buyers as he won't be bought for his goals per se.

Defence splitting passes. He has developed this area of his game but ok. He's defo not a number 10. He can drive a team forward fairly well.

Game changer? No? Define it. I'd argue he can be.

Disipline. He's young and oversteps mark sometimes. Very poor is over the the top.

Brings: bags of energy. Genuine quality on the ball which i had question mark on before this season. He's adept at most parts of the game with few weaknesses which for his age is rare. Extremely combative.

Downes on 23:03 - Mar 14 with 806 viewsBluefish

Downes on 23:00 - Mar 14 by Terry_Nutkins

In fairness i think Downes has a lot of outstanding qualities you don't cover and a hell of a lot of potential.which a higher club would be paying for. It's potential with a tangible year on year improvement to go with it.

Two goals being very average. Ok let's accept that as he's increasingly box to box although i don't think it would worry any potential buyers as he won't be bought for his goals per se.

Defence splitting passes. He has developed this area of his game but ok. He's defo not a number 10. He can drive a team forward fairly well.

Game changer? No? Define it. I'd argue he can be.

Disipline. He's young and oversteps mark sometimes. Very poor is over the the top.

Brings: bags of energy. Genuine quality on the ball which i had question mark on before this season. He's adept at most parts of the game with few weaknesses which for his age is rare. Extremely combative.

I expect he says similar stuff about Jordan Henderson

Login to get fewer ads

Downes on 23:39 - Mar 14 with 803 viewsbournemouthblue

Downes on 23:08 - Mar 13 by Garv

It’ll be much more than that, in my opinion.

I can't see it, not yet but who knows.

Fees really are out of control nowadays, what is a bargain any more?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Downes on 10:27 - Mar 15 with 753 viewsstrikalite

Downes on 23:39 - Mar 14 by bournemouthblue

I can't see it, not yet but who knows.

Fees really are out of control nowadays, what is a bargain any more?

It's a tricky one, Jack Stacey went to Bournemouth in the summer last year for £4m, which seems low to me but we don't know about add ons etc and how desperate Luton needed to sell..

Yet Toney will leave P'Boro this summer for a reported £13m, and that will probably be to another EFL club too, don't think anybody can argue with that figure either, no I'm not comparing the two players here but just examples...
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:23 - Mar 31 with 680 viewssuffolkpoker

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Downes on 08:40 - Apr 1 with 609 viewsChateauWines

Downes on 19:59 - Mar 13 by bournemouthblue

Being in League One it's going to be a knock down price sadly

In the Championship you could double or triple that fee and that is the most disappointing element to this

Downes is going to be a serious player

I think Downes and Wolfendon have serious potential. However hardly pulled up trees in this division have they? When Dele Alli signed for Spurs from this league he ripped it at. Keep for another year.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Here's where Marcus can have an effect - Pay up front on 09:34 - Apr 1 with 594 viewsitfcjoe

Here's where Marcus can have an effect - Pay up front on 12:45 - Mar 14 by Herbivore

You are aware that we also structure our incoming transfers by paying in installments right?

I saw something about this the other day, whilst incoming transfers may be structured like this - we are still liable for the VAT element from that quarter so the up front cash cost to the club is always much higher than it looks

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Downes on 09:37 - Apr 1 with 594 viewsitfcjoe

Coventry got £3.5m for their full back from Norwich anda half season loan back, and whilst McCallum has been impressive, he doesn't have the pedigree of Downes

Downes has played a lot more first team football, in a much tougher role, and has played a decent amount at a higher level - plus he is a regular squad member for England U20s (having been so for the U19s). Those England call ups mean a great deal, because the talent ID of England and their age groups is really second to none in world football.

That £3.5m should be an absolute bottom line of what we get.

The only issue may be what Coronavirus does to the tranfer market

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Downes on 09:40 - Apr 1 with 593 viewsLeaky

As seems likely Downes goes to a Championship side. Once Covid 19 is sorted, who knows what the financial situation will be for Championship clubs. Derby already seem to be struggling. Some teams don't even know what league they will playing in. Could be the large majority of transfers will be dependant on and Prem. money filtering down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024