Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge 08:36 - Mar 15 with 2210 viewsnoggin

"It's incredibly important to wash your hands while singing happy birthday." lol.

"If you're selling a ventilator, we'll buy it. No price is too high"
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 8:38]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:13 - Mar 15 with 1709 viewsSwansea_Blue

They’ve got nothing. People were easily impressed by a few pressers, but it increasingly looks like ‘wash your hands’ is the new mantra they can wheel out at interview whilst avoiding the responsibility of their position. There’s been a vacuum and people and organisations have been left to make their own decisions with very little information. I guarantee we’ll now start to see the government criticise some of those decisions. They’re incapable of taking responsibility.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:27 - Mar 15 with 1657 viewsElephantintheRoom

Did she ask him if the Tory Party regretted decimating the NHS over the last 10 years-and was it not a tad short sighted to have reduced the UK to also ran status with one of the lowest number of hospital beds per capita in the civilised world?

And wouldn't all the community nurses have been a bit useful?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:31 - Mar 15 with 1643 viewsWeWereZombies

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:13 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

They’ve got nothing. People were easily impressed by a few pressers, but it increasingly looks like ‘wash your hands’ is the new mantra they can wheel out at interview whilst avoiding the responsibility of their position. There’s been a vacuum and people and organisations have been left to make their own decisions with very little information. I guarantee we’ll now start to see the government criticise some of those decisions. They’re incapable of taking responsibility.

May I ask you to think again about what you have just posted, Swanners?

This is from a sheet of A4 paper given to me at the library yesterday and has been reprinted from Thursday's Guardian:

'So why does soap work so well on the SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies - or rather we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren't really alive.

The slightly longer story is that most viruses consist of three key building blocks: ribonucleic acid (RNA), proteins and lipids. A virus-infected cell makes lots of these building blocks, which then spontaneously self-assemble to form the virus. Critically, there are no strong covalent bonds holding these units together, which means you do not necessarily need harsh chemicals to split those units apart. When an infected cell dies, all these new viruses escape and go to infect other cells. Some end up also in the airways of lungs.

You can't, for any price, get a drug for the coronavirus - but your grandmother's bar of soap kills it.'

This is from a piece written by Pall Thordarson, a professor of chemistry at the University of New South Wales.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:36 - Mar 15 with 1621 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

We’ve gone from BJ telling the nation directly on Thursday, over 70s don’t go on a cruise to a private briefing on Saturday saying over 70s 4 months quarantine is coming.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:49 - Mar 15 with 1566 viewsGuthrum

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:36 - Mar 15 by WestStanderLaLaLa

We’ve gone from BJ telling the nation directly on Thursday, over 70s don’t go on a cruise to a private briefing on Saturday saying over 70s 4 months quarantine is coming.

One problem is for the elderly/infirm who require carers. There will still need to be very close contact with them. Those carers then going on from person to person, every day, often several times per day - an ideal transmission network for a virus.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:49 - Mar 15 with 1557 viewsHerbivore

Send them all on a 4 month cruise. Old people love cruises, keeps them all isolated. Job done.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:53 - Mar 15 with 1535 viewsWeWereZombies

That is not what has been said, and the position has just been clarified on 'Broadcasting House'. The advice is that over 70s may be asked to restrict their contact to around 70% of what they have now. The psychological danger of isolation for the elderly was emphasised as was the need for them to get supplies and home help.

[edit] Although in fairness to you I have just looked on the BBC website and they have copied how Sky News reported things so the website contradicts what has just been broadcast on the radio. Anyone who has had any dealings with a newsroom will probably not be surprised by the confusion though.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 9:57]

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:56 - Mar 15 with 1506 viewsSwansea_Blue

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:31 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

This is from a sheet of A4 paper given to me at the library yesterday and has been reprinted from Thursday's Guardian:

'So why does soap work so well on the SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies - or rather we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren't really alive.

The slightly longer story is that most viruses consist of three key building blocks: ribonucleic acid (RNA), proteins and lipids. A virus-infected cell makes lots of these building blocks, which then spontaneously self-assemble to form the virus. Critically, there are no strong covalent bonds holding these units together, which means you do not necessarily need harsh chemicals to split those units apart. When an infected cell dies, all these new viruses escape and go to infect other cells. Some end up also in the airways of lungs.

You can't, for any price, get a drug for the coronavirus - but your grandmother's bar of soap kills it.'

This is from a piece written by Pall Thordarson, a professor of chemistry at the University of New South Wales.

I’m not disputing the value of washing hands.

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:57 - Mar 15 with 1497 viewsnoggin

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:56 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

While singing happy birthday.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:59 - Mar 15 with 1492 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quite. We’ve also gone from herd immunity being key to it not being part of the plan.

The communication is poor at best and they’re not engaging with employer groups (at least not ours).

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:59 - Mar 15 with 1484 viewsBlueBadger

'Wash your hands' is the new 'but the match day experience is much better'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:01 - Mar 15 with 1483 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:53 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

That is not what has been said, and the position has just been clarified on 'Broadcasting House'. The advice is that over 70s may be asked to restrict their contact to around 70% of what they have now. The psychological danger of isolation for the elderly was emphasised as was the need for them to get supplies and home help.

[edit] Although in fairness to you I have just looked on the BBC website and they have copied how Sky News reported things so the website contradicts what has just been broadcast on the radio. Anyone who has had any dealings with a newsroom will probably not be surprised by the confusion though.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 9:57]

The problem with private briefings. It needs to stop. PM or HS to tell the nation directly.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:03 - Mar 15 with 1463 viewsWeWereZombies

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:56 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

You do seem to be belittling it though, it is a vital part of the strategy.

Here's some of that article:

'Alcohol-based products, which pretty much includes all "disinfectant" products, contain a high-percentage alcohol solution (typically 60-80% ethanol) and kill viruses in a similar fashion. But soap is better because you only need a fairly small amount of soapy water, which, with rubbing, covers your entire hand easily. Whereas you need to literally soak the virus in ethanol for a brief moment, and wipes or rubbing a gel on the hands does not guarantee that you soak every corner of the skin on your hands effectively enough.

So, soap is the best, but do please use alcohol-based sanitiser when soap is not handy or practical.'

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:09 - Mar 15 with 1438 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:03 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

'Alcohol-based products, which pretty much includes all "disinfectant" products, contain a high-percentage alcohol solution (typically 60-80% ethanol) and kill viruses in a similar fashion. But soap is better because you only need a fairly small amount of soapy water, which, with rubbing, covers your entire hand easily. Whereas you need to literally soak the virus in ethanol for a brief moment, and wipes or rubbing a gel on the hands does not guarantee that you soak every corner of the skin on your hands effectively enough.

So, soap is the best, but do please use alcohol-based sanitiser when soap is not handy or practical.'

Still no soap in the dispensers at Juniors school....you couldn't make it up!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:10 - Mar 15 with 1438 viewsWeWereZombies

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:59 - Mar 15 by BlueBadger

'Wash your hands' is the new 'but the match day experience is much better'.

Oh for goodness sake, Badgers

More from the Guardian article I have playing super boor at Swanners with:

'Washing the virus off with water alone might work. But water is not good at competing with the strong, glue-like interactions between the skin and the virus. Water isn't enough.

Soapy water is totally different. Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphile, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules "compete" with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from teh skin.

The soap not only loosens the "glue" between the virus and the skin but also the Velcro-like interactions that hold the proteins, lipids and RNA in the virus together.'

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:13 - Mar 15 with 1421 viewsWeWereZombies

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:09 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

Still no soap in the dispensers at Juniors school....you couldn't make it up!

They do seem to be rationing it beside the showers in the swimming pool I use, and that is also the pool for the Sixth Form college. But it isn't beyond the ken of man (or woman or child) to carry your own bar of soap in a polythene bag around with you, is it?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:15 - Mar 15 with 1420 viewsBlueBadger

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:10 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

'Washing the virus off with water alone might work. But water is not good at competing with the strong, glue-like interactions between the skin and the virus. Water isn't enough.

Soapy water is totally different. Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphile, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules "compete" with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from teh skin.

The soap not only loosens the "glue" between the virus and the skin but also the Velcro-like interactions that hold the proteins, lipids and RNA in the virus together.'

I'm not denying the vital role of handwashing to infection control, just the fact that like saying 'get Brexit done', this is all the government are really saying and doing.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 10:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:17 - Mar 15 with 1405 viewsSwansea_Blue

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:03 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

Not in the slightest. All I was saying is that this is the one thing they’ve fixated on at the cost of additional information. People have been left to try and work out what to do themselves. My 81 year old dad hasn’t a clue what to do. We’ve had people on here wondering what to do if one child is sick; keep siblings at home too or send them to school? We’ve spent days at work trying to formulate a plan when to close, whether staged, whether to cancel lectures, still keep meetings, or cancel those to - millions of people are having to make decisions with no information or guidance that is forthcoming in other countries.

In that respect it’s like another slogan to them they can hide behind (albeit a valuable one for once)

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:21 - Mar 15 with 1384 viewsmonytowbray

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:49 - Mar 15 by Herbivore

Send them all on a 4 month cruise. Old people love cruises, keeps them all isolated. Job done.

Boomers don’t take free handouts. PULL YOURSELF UP BY THE BOOTSTRAPS. SOMETHING ABOUT THE BLITZ DESPITE NOT BEING ALIVE AT THE TIME.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:22 - Mar 15 with 1377 viewsmonytowbray

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:57 - Mar 15 by noggin

While singing happy birthday.

Who to though? The government still haven’t told us who’s birthday it is.

TWTD never forgets…

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:25 - Mar 15 with 1361 viewsWeWereZombies

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:17 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

Not in the slightest. All I was saying is that this is the one thing they’ve fixated on at the cost of additional information. People have been left to try and work out what to do themselves. My 81 year old dad hasn’t a clue what to do. We’ve had people on here wondering what to do if one child is sick; keep siblings at home too or send them to school? We’ve spent days at work trying to formulate a plan when to close, whether staged, whether to cancel lectures, still keep meetings, or cancel those to - millions of people are having to make decisions with no information or guidance that is forthcoming in other countries.

In that respect it’s like another slogan to them they can hide behind (albeit a valuable one for once)

I don't feel like that about it, for once I think Johnson and Hancock was done a decent job and am not prepared to let my left of centre loyalties push me to decry a strategy that looks like it might keep things running whilst other nations build up a host of problems in a disproportionate set of actions to contain a single and as yet unquantifiable threat. A degree of sensitivity to personal circumstances and an upgrade in people's health regimes could just save us from descending into a police state, and to give the Conservatives a bit of credit there are sections of their party that do have reasonable form on this.

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:40 - Mar 15 with 1331 viewsGuthrum

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:10 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

Would gargling with shampoo* help if the infection gets into the throat?

* Not an entirely serious suggestion, but wonder if some similar procedure could be developed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:42 - Mar 15 with 1325 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Don't go on a cruise?

I should think a long sea cruise must now be one of the safest environments - provided there is no coronavirus on board at the time of departure and no trips ashore.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:47 - Mar 15 with 1306 viewsmonytowbray

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:42 - Mar 15 by Tangledupin_Blue

Don't go on a cruise?

I should think a long sea cruise must now be one of the safest environments - provided there is no coronavirus on board at the time of departure and no trips ashore.

They’d put some in the cakes just to be sure.

Eugenics Live is this year’s must-watch reality show.

TWTD never forgets…

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 10:49 - Mar 15 with 1295 viewsRyorry

Matt Hancock to Sophie Ridge on 09:31 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

I hope some good may come out of all of this & that companies like Lush, an excellent & ethical company who won't profiteer from the crisis, mint it (they might need to start online retailing tho, if they don't do that already).

Edit - link for those not already itk - https://uk.lush.com/
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 10:51]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024