Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n/t) 22:41 - Mar 15 with 13734 viewsdominiciawful

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 00:38 - Mar 17 with 2967 viewsnorfsufblue

Standing on the platform edge at Fulham Broadway after the infamous semi final replay at Chelsea in 75.... genuinely thought I was going in the track as the train pulled in but thankfully I was hauled backed by my fairy godfathers until the doors opened and I cannoned into the train.

Wolves away was also very hairy on both occasions I have been to Molinuex
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:45 - Mar 17 with 2869 viewsrfretwell

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:09 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

I missed the 'glory days' of hooliganism in the 70s and 80s, I'm not sure I've ever been concerned for my safety at a game. I was there when Millwall decided our away end seats would look better on the pitch in 1996 but that wasn't especially terrifying.

Def Millwall away '78. Scenes everywhere. Coins, bottles, cans flying at our fans in the side stand seats nearest Millwalls yobs end. Couldn't cheer any of our goals as their cops had directed us into that end! Georgie Burleys 30 yard never to be forgotten pile driver.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 11:05 - Mar 17 with 2838 viewsIpswichKnight

Birmingham City in the Coca Cola cup semi, especially when Scowie equalised on the ploughed field they had prepared for us, the locals did not take kindly to that and the thought of trying to navigate St Andrews at night while trying to get back to New Street was not one I was overly looking forward to, luckily we reverted to type and rolled over in extra time.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 11:46 - Mar 17 with 2807 viewsHullblue

I’m a bit younger than most of the posters on this thread (30) but I’ve never had any trouble at a Town game really. Closest I’ve had was a large Millwall fan shouting ‘Baaaa, go shag some sheep’ at me and my mate after the 4-3 at their place under Mick. I think he had his stereotypes mixed up.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:11 - Mar 17 with 2783 viewsFifeITFC

I remember Leicester at home in the late 80s in our final home game of the season. Beat them 3-2 but they badly needed the win to avoid relegation.

Remember being on the pitch at full time (as you did on those final home games of the season) back then and was about in the centre circle heading towards the North Stand when there was a stampede heading away from there. Remember a Hare Krishna (fancy dress) running past with a knife shouting "we're Leicester, who wants it?"

I was only about 10 but remember it clearly.

Also remember being among a small contingent of Town fans in the seats in the main stand at Bradford (away terrace was a very shallow bit opposite us) around the same time on the last day. We beat them 3-2 and consigned them to the Play Offs when it all kicked off. Got locked in and eventually led across the pitch side to the opposite side stand over half an hour after full time.

Anyone else remember these?
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 12:14]

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:14 - Mar 17 with 2767 viewsChateauWines

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 11:05 - Mar 17 by IpswichKnight

Birmingham City in the Coca Cola cup semi, especially when Scowie equalised on the ploughed field they had prepared for us, the locals did not take kindly to that and the thought of trying to navigate St Andrews at night while trying to get back to New Street was not one I was overly looking forward to, luckily we reverted to type and rolled over in extra time.

Some twit nicked my hat on way back to car. Never liked Birmingham since

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:19 - Mar 17 with 2755 viewsgainsboroughblue

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:11 - Mar 17 by FifeITFC

I remember Leicester at home in the late 80s in our final home game of the season. Beat them 3-2 but they badly needed the win to avoid relegation.

Remember being on the pitch at full time (as you did on those final home games of the season) back then and was about in the centre circle heading towards the North Stand when there was a stampede heading away from there. Remember a Hare Krishna (fancy dress) running past with a knife shouting "we're Leicester, who wants it?"

Also remember being among a small contingent of Town fans in the seats in the main stand at Bradford (away terrace was a very shallow bit opposite us) around the same time on the last day. We beat them 3-2 and consigned them to the Play Offs when it all kicked off. Got locked in and eventually led across the pitch side to the opposite side stand over half an hour after full time.

I remember the Leicester one as I got caught up in the melee under Churchmans/Cobbold corner concourse. Wasn't particularly easy to make out who was who as not all of them were Krishnas. I swung my arms like a propeller machine in an effort to get out. I landed two hits to twenty swings from memory.

For the Bradford game, I was at PR at a Football Combination game and heard the score come in over the tannoy.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:20 - Mar 17 with 2752 viewsITFC_Forever

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:11 - Mar 17 by FifeITFC

The Hare Krishna Leicester away game was at the end of the 1990-91 season I think (Lyall's first season as manager).

Remember getting the bus in to town and there was a coach-load of the Hare Krishnas in the Suffolk Punch on Norwich Road, them running amok on top of the executive boxes towards the end of the game and also the charge across the pitch after the match ended.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:26 - Mar 17 with 2742 viewsgainsboroughblue

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:20 - Mar 17 by ITFC_Forever

The Hare Krishna Leicester away game was at the end of the 1990-91 season I think (Lyall's first season as manager).

Remember getting the bus in to town and there was a coach-load of the Hare Krishnas in the Suffolk Punch on Norwich Road, them running amok on top of the executive boxes towards the end of the game and also the charge across the pitch after the match ended.

There was trouble at the Brighton away game the next week too. Certainly an interesting end to that season.

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:44 - Mar 17 with 2722 viewsRadlett_blue

Not a Town game for me, but I used to go watch Southend sometimes when town were away so I went to Southend v Brighton on Good Friday in 1974. After the game I got on a train, not realising it was packed with about 500 Brighton hooligans who had got on at the previous stop. A harmless looking guy sitting about 5 feet from where I was standing was getting badly beaten up with blood pouring from his face while his girlfriend sitting next to him was screaming her head off. I tried to avoid eye contact with anyone & tried not to look like a football fan. I wasn't wearing any colours but did have a match programme. At the first stop the Brighton mob all invaded the platform & roamed up & down looking for likely Southend fans to attack. I stuck on the train but when they did the same at the next station I slipped off and hoped not to be noticed. I can still remember one big guy pointing at me and shouting "There's one!" but I managed to escape. I later found out there had been a lot of argy bargy at the game and after & one compartment of Brighton fans had been attacked by some West Ham fans along for some fun with an iron bar so they were looking for revenge. I was 16 at the time & have never been so petrified as to be trapped on that train.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:47 - Mar 17 with 2718 viewsITFC_Forever

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:26 - Mar 17 by gainsboroughblue

There was trouble at the Brighton away game the next week too. Certainly an interesting end to that season.

Yep, can remember watching that from the relative safety of the travel club coaches after the game.

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:04 - Mar 17 with 2700 viewsPlums

Would have been in 80/81/82 as a 10 year old at the front of the North when the sister botherers looked as though they were going to succeed in pulling the fence down between their section and ours. In those days it wasn’t unusual to see a scarf set on fire at the back of the stand so it was always lively. I can remember asking my dad if we would move across to the Cobbold but he just said ‘you’ll be OK’ and he was right. I spent most of the match watching events over my right shoulder.

The other occasion and it wasn’t me who was in danger was the opening home game against Sheffield Weds, the season after Hillsborough. They absolutely packed the away end which looked far too small for the huge numbers they’d brought.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:38 - Mar 17 with 2670 viewsITFC_Forever

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:04 - Mar 17 by Plums

Would have been in 80/81/82 as a 10 year old at the front of the North when the sister botherers looked as though they were going to succeed in pulling the fence down between their section and ours. In those days it wasn’t unusual to see a scarf set on fire at the back of the stand so it was always lively. I can remember asking my dad if we would move across to the Cobbold but he just said ‘you’ll be OK’ and he was right. I spent most of the match watching events over my right shoulder.

The other occasion and it wasn’t me who was in danger was the opening home game against Sheffield Weds, the season after Hillsborough. They absolutely packed the away end which looked far too small for the huge numbers they’d brought.

It wasn't technically the season after Hillsborough disaster, it was the start of the one after that (August 1990).

There were bloody loads of them that day. We returned from holiday in North Yorkshire on the morning of the game and went past hundreds of cars with their fans in them.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 19:40]

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 14:02 - Mar 17 with 2649 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Basically any time that I was with Lord Lucan.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 15:10 - Mar 17 with 2611 viewsjontysnut

one of the first games I went to on my own early 70s. I'd have been about 11/12. Stood outside Churchmans with a mate when a bunch of Burnley fans asked me where all the bovver boys were. I politely directed them towards the North Stand. As they headed off, one them turned back and went 'giz yer scarf'. Never liked them since.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 18:17 - Mar 17 with 2565 viewsPlums

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:38 - Mar 17 by ITFC_Forever

It wasn't technically the season after Hillsborough disaster, it was the start of the one after that (August 1990).

There were bloody loads of them that day. We returned from holiday in North Yorkshire on the morning of the game and went past hundreds of cars with their fans in them.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 19:40]

Apologies, that’s right. I’d never passed so many coaches on the way to PR

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 18:37 - Mar 17 with 2557 viewsjas0999

Quarter final of the FA Cup. Don’t remember the year - Arsenal beat us 4-1 and their fans were looking for fights on the way back to the train station.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 19:25 - Mar 17 with 2527 viewsgainsboroughblue

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 18:37 - Mar 17 by jas0999

Quarter final of the FA Cup. Don’t remember the year - Arsenal beat us 4-1 and their fans were looking for fights on the way back to the train station.

That would be 92/93. And it was 4-2.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 19:26]

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 19:28 - Mar 17 with 2524 viewsgainsboroughblue

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 18:17 - Mar 17 by Plums

Apologies, that’s right. I’d never passed so many coaches on the way to PR

They were all over the place. Royal William, Ipswich Arms and Three Jolly Sailors were packed full of them on my walk to ground.

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 19:35 - Mar 17 with 2519 viewsallezlesbleus

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 19:28 - Mar 17 by gainsboroughblue

They were all over the place. Royal William, Ipswich Arms and Three Jolly Sailors were packed full of them on my walk to ground.

I was still not a teenager at the time, but didn't it kick off with Arsenal 3 or 4 times a game for several seasons in the West Stand, after we beat them in the '78 cup final?

I remember being packed in, watching the match and then you just got the feeling it was slightly more packed......there was a strange silence for a few seconds and then chaos! 50 odd blokes on each side, going toe to toe with each other.....the old bill running over from the North Stand, trying to separate the 2 firms. Gradually the Arsenal hooligans would be hauled out along the side of the pitch and thrown into their enclosure in the North. 15 minutes later a new mob would sneak in and off it would go again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024