Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sobering, I warn you... 03:08 - Mar 19 with 2272 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615370/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing

I have warned you.

I’m now reading the full paper too.

At first I was like, wow, that’ll take some getting used to and it means football as we know it is gone for a long time (which may be a blessing in disguise the way the game is).

But almost in a matter of minutes, I felt calmer, as if knowing this now is better than not knowing at all. Clarity can hurt but can relieve at the same time.

I feel like it could make us appreciate the little things more, give us time to do the stuff we enjoy more.

But then I had a second wave of realising work and the economy as we know it is also gone. The whole system is practically going to need a global reset.

It’s a sh1tter, but honestly feels like this the closest outlook we have for the next 2 years at least. It’s going to drive most folk nuts, so look out for each other.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:12 - Mar 19 with 2236 viewsmonytowbray

Side note. Goodbye privacy!

This will have to be handled very sensitively.

TWTD never forgets…

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:14 - Mar 19 with 2242 viewstextbackup

I don't really like being near people anyway, so I can live with that.

already told the missus our new shagging way will be ill shoot it into my hand and chuck it at her across the room.....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:22 - Mar 19 with 2207 viewsSpruceMoose

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:14 - Mar 19 by textbackup

already told the missus our new shagging way will be ill shoot it into my hand and chuck it at her across the room.....

Fairly sure that's called 'The Peter Parker' round these parts.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:33 - Mar 19 with 2197 viewsmonytowbray

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:14 - Mar 19 by textbackup

Just test before you bang, or have annual time slots and go at it like mad.

Work as we know it is about to change. If this is truly what happens next then billionaires and an economy are virtually pointless. No one can win anything from this via hatred or separation and we’ll need to come together as a planet to solve it.

I’m looking for the positives.

TWTD never forgets…

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:43 - Mar 19 with 2182 viewsSpruceMoose

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:33 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

Just test before you bang, or have annual time slots and go at it like mad.

Work as we know it is about to change. If this is truly what happens next then billionaires and an economy are virtually pointless. No one can win anything from this via hatred or separation and we’ll need to come together as a planet to solve it.

I’m looking for the positives.

Give it a year or so. Things will be back to how they always were. It's a powerful tide to turn.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 3:44]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:50 - Mar 19 with 2152 viewsmonytowbray

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:43 - Mar 19 by SpruceMoose

Give it a year or so. Things will be back to how they always were. It's a powerful tide to turn.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 3:44]

Is it bad I don’t want it back to the way it was? That world sucked.

I’d really like to see it look similar with the same freedoms within reason, but none of the horrid nonsense.

TWTD never forgets…

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:53 - Mar 19 with 2143 viewsSpruceMoose

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:50 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

I’d really like to see it look similar with the same freedoms within reason, but none of the horrid nonsense.

I don't think most people would object to a world with less inequality. Unfortunately those people aren't the folk in charge.

Sobering, I warn you... on 05:55 - Mar 19 with 2060 viewstextbackup

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:50 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

its the social media influencers that I want to see fall on arse, the towie twots, love island louts....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:29 - Mar 19 with 1811 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article with some good points but it's entirely predicated by this huge assumption which I don't think many experts agree with at all:

until a vaccine is available, which will take at least 18 months (if it works at all).

They link to one article supporting it but it's not the mainstream view.

Given that it's a bit scaremongery. Certainly is going to be hard for quite a while though. If you believe the numbers from China (I know! They claimed no new domestic cases today) then it's possible to combat it in much less time.

It's unknown at the moment.

SB
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 7:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:32 - Mar 19 with 1788 viewsDanTheMan

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:29 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

Interesting article with some good points but it's entirely predicated by this huge assumption which I don't think many experts agree with at all:

until a vaccine is available, which will take at least 18 months (if it works at all).

Given that it's a bit scaremongery. Certainly is going to be hard for quite a while though. If you believe the numbers from China (I know! They claimed no new domestic cases today) then it's possible to combat it in much less time.

SB

Some interesting insights into the paper as well:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615377/coronavirus-model-london-vaccine-suppr

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:43 - Mar 19 with 1752 viewshomer_123

This information was in the public domain days ago callis.

A clear report from the group supporting the government had indicated 18 months as a timeline.

So, why are you now feeling calm whereas for the last few days you've been, shall we say, a little edgy and jumpy?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:50 - Mar 19 with 1726 viewsNewcyBlue

Sobering, I warn you... on 03:22 - Mar 19 by SpruceMoose

Fairly sure that's called 'The Peter Parker' round these parts.

The Spider-Man

You could try the Superman too. Where you shoot at the top of her back and then try to stick a pillow case to it so she stands up with a cape on.

You’re welcome.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:52 - Mar 19 with 1720 viewsBrixtonBlue

What had you warned us about that we didn't know already (not a dig, I genuinely might've missed it)?

As Stokie says, this article is a bit scaremongery. And you've done it yourself in the second to last line of your OP. We have no real idea what's going to happen, it "feels like this is the closest outlook we have for the next 2 years at least" is based on very limited data and is unnecessarily scaring yourself.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:53 - Mar 19 with 1713 viewsmonytowbray

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:43 - Mar 19 by homer_123

This information was in the public domain days ago callis.

A clear report from the group supporting the government had indicated 18 months as a timeline.

So, why are you now feeling calm whereas for the last few days you've been, shall we say, a little edgy and jumpy?

Was a personal thing more than anything I guess. Seeing it laid out like that it hit home (literally, London’s about to get WEIRD).

TWTD never forgets…

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:58 - Mar 19 with 1699 viewshomer_123

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:53 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

Was a personal thing more than anything I guess. Seeing it laid out like that it hit home (literally, London’s about to get WEIRD).

Fair enough.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:15 - Mar 19 with 1678 viewsmonytowbray

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:52 - Mar 19 by BrixtonBlue

What had you warned us about that we didn't know already (not a dig, I genuinely might've missed it)?

As Stokie says, this article is a bit scaremongery. And you've done it yourself in the second to last line of your OP. We have no real idea what's going to happen, it "feels like this is the closest outlook we have for the next 2 years at least" is based on very limited data and is unnecessarily scaring yourself.

The modelling and methods in the paper quoted don’t seem like scare mongering.

TWTD never forgets…

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:21 - Mar 19 with 1657 viewsOxford_Blue

Or as I posted before - and to be clear I’m not advocating it - after a while the majority won’t accept this total destruction of their lives and may accept 300,000 elderly and unwell dying if it means a return to some sort of normality. They may accept getting the virus being unwell for a week and then getting back to work. This is the reality.
Sobering, I warn you... on 08:26 - Mar 19 with 1644 viewsStokieBlue

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:52 - Mar 19 by BrixtonBlue

This is spot on.

A much maligned quote sums up the current situation perfectly:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns–the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones."

That is our exact situation at the moment.

SB

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:27 - Mar 19 with 1629 viewsSteve_M

Sobering, I warn you... on 07:29 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

SB

Indeed. The Spanish Flu of 1918 killed maybe 50 million, maybe a lot more and that was after a war that had killed 20 million. The world recovered from that to the point where a decade later it had an enormous financial crash.

There will be consequences of this but there's far too many 'takes' for which there is little evidence.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:30 - Mar 19 with 1613 viewsStokieBlue

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:15 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

The modelling and methods in the paper quoted don’t seem like scare mongering.

It's based on a whole raft of assumptions which most experts don't agree with - you've been pushing to listen to the majority view of experts all week. The vaccine caveat is absolutely massive.

I think you need to step back a bit from social media - you are stressing yourself and making huge assumptions based of very limited data sets:

"It’s a sh1tter, but honestly feels like this the closest outlook we have for the next 2 years at least. "

There is no evidence for that - it can't be good for you to keep drawing these sweeping conclusions which aren't really accepted.

Not a moan - just a worry about your wellbeing.

SB

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:32 - Mar 19 with 1603 viewsOxford_Blue

Sobering, I warn you... on 08:30 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

It's based on a whole raft of assumptions which most experts don't agree with - you've been pushing to listen to the majority view of experts all week. The vaccine caveat is absolutely massive.

I think you need to step back a bit from social media - you are stressing yourself and making huge assumptions based of very limited data sets:

"It’s a sh1tter, but honestly feels like this the closest outlook we have for the next 2 years at least. "

There is no evidence for that - it can't be good for you to keep drawing these sweeping conclusions which aren't really accepted.

Not a moan - just a worry about your wellbeing.

SB

Agree
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024