Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from 03:21 - Mar 20 with 2804 viewsKilburnBlue

the virus in the Uk when Germany have had 6 times as many cases.

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 06:46 - Mar 20 with 2703 viewsEly_Blue

Because we have only been testing the really sick once they reach hospital, I suspect Germany either have access to more testing or have a different testing regime where they test anyone and everyone, a huge waste of time and resource IMHO

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 06:47 - Mar 20 with 2701 viewsWeekender

The numbers of cases is dependent on testing rates which differ between countries. We will have far more cases than have been identified.

Numbers of deaths is only reliable comparable

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 06:48 - Mar 20 with 2694 viewsWeekender

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 06:46 - Mar 20 by Ely_Blue

Because we have only been testing the really sick once they reach hospital, I suspect Germany either have access to more testing or have a different testing regime where they test anyone and everyone, a huge waste of time and resource IMHO

I think the WHO may disagree with you.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 06:53 - Mar 20 with 2688 viewsHerbivore

Maybe in Germany the most vulnerable are actually following government advice? I was pretty amazed by how many people aged 70+ were out and about yesterday like nothing was happening.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 07:22 - Mar 20 with 2635 viewsRadlett_blue

Teutonic resilience. That's why they always beat us in extra time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 07:38 - Mar 20 with 2612 viewsTractorWood

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 06:53 - Mar 20 by Herbivore

Maybe in Germany the most vulnerable are actually following government advice? I was pretty amazed by how many people aged 70+ were out and about yesterday like nothing was happening.

I drove through Newmarket yesterday and you honestly would have known anything was going on. People sitting outside wetherspoons having pints and OAPs wandering around.

Not sure if it's defiance or ignorance. Probably both.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 08:06 - Mar 20 with 2538 viewsEly_Blue

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 07:38 - Mar 20 by TractorWood

I drove through Newmarket yesterday and you honestly would have known anything was going on. People sitting outside wetherspoons having pints and OAPs wandering around.

Same in Ely too, market day and the town was full of old people, even in the supermarket I saw people taking their clearly elderly parents out to the supermarket.... FFS I know these people have to eat but at least make them stay home and insist on going out to get their groceries for them

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:13 - Mar 20 with 2521 viewsGuthrum

Nearly four times as many people per head of population have caught the disease in Germany than in the UK. Which is patently ridiculous.

Suspect we have 10k to 15k cases in the UK not severe enough for hospitalisation (isolated at home), thus have not yet been tested and do not make it into the official figures. Add those in and the mortality rate reduces to a much more reasonable 0.8% to 1.1%.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:16 - Mar 20 with 2500 viewsStokieBlue

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:13 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

Nearly four times as many people per head of population have caught the disease in Germany than in the UK. Which is patently ridiculous.

Suspect we have 10k to 15k cases in the UK not severe enough for hospitalisation (isolated at home), thus have not yet been tested and do not make it into the official figures. Add those in and the mortality rate reduces to a much more reasonable 0.8% to 1.1%.

Any idea why Germany aren't making the number of tests they have performed public?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-19-tests-country

There could also be categorisation differences, they could be logged deaths as the underlying condition rather than Covid 19 which would have been the guess - that's speculation though.

Could also be they are following the advice as Herb said.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 08:19 - Mar 20 with 2488 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jeremy Corbyn

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:20 - Mar 20 with 2490 viewsandytown

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:16 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

Any idea why Germany aren't making the number of tests they have performed public?

There could also be categorisation differences, they could be logged deaths as the underlying condition rather than Covid 19 which would have been the guess - that's speculation though.

SB

I don’t remember the actual figures but Germany have a higher number of intensive care places proportionally than the UK.
If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:24 - Mar 20 with 2482 viewsGuthrum

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:20 - Mar 20 by andytown

I don’t remember the actual figures but Germany have a higher number of intensive care places proportionally than the UK.

They do, but it's still not going to account for that much of a differential at this stage. It's almost certainly down to the two countries having different ways of logging the number of cases and/or different testing policies/numbers.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 8:24]

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:25 - Mar 20 with 2473 viewsStokieBlue

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:24 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

They do, but it's still not going to account for that much of a differential at this stage. It's almost certainly down to the two countries having different ways of logging the number of cases and/or different testing policies/numbers.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 8:24]

The numbers of tests from France in that chart is very poor considering where they are in the outbreak.

SB

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 08:26 - Mar 20 with 2468 viewsElephantintheRoom

Germany have a health care system designed to protect their citizens. They have 4 x the hospital beds that we do and far more doctors, nurses, carers etc. They also have care in the community and dont treat vulnerable and elderly as third class citizens. They have also not voted to shrink their economy and devalue their currency so they can afford vastly more healthcare to top up at a time of crisis.

They have also taken a more responsible stance - testing people who are at risk and attempted to stem the spread of the disease rather than encourage its spread which is the slightly deranged methodology the UK practiced until the abrupt (and way too late) U-turn. Nobody knows just how rampant the disease now is in the UK

The UK has the least prepared hospital care system in Europe... and has systematically dismantled care in the community. Never mind - we have 'fiscal headroom' and were even planning tax cuts whilst China showed the world just how serious this disease is by bulldozing vast acreages and building emergency hospitals in weeks

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:33 - Mar 20 with 2456 viewsGuthrum

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:16 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

SB

They might be using clinical diagnosis figures, rather than purely test results as we are.

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:35 - Mar 20 with 2446 viewsStokieBlue

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:33 - Mar 20 by Guthrum

They might be using clinical diagnosis figures, rather than purely test results as we are.

It says at the top of the dataset that is the number of tests performed. They could supplement that with clinical checks as you say.

Just put it for perspective given the daily repeated myth on here that the UK isn't testing much compared to the rest of the world.

SB

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:36 - Mar 20 with 2440 viewsGuthrum

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:25 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

The numbers of tests from France in that chart is very poor considering where they are in the outbreak.

SB

Indeed that chart makes us look very good compared with many other, quite populous, nations (tho by no means in the first rank).

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:37 - Mar 20 with 2439 viewsGuthrum

If you take the figures entirely at face value on 08:35 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

It says at the top of the dataset that is the number of tests performed. They could supplement that with clinical checks as you say.

Just put it for perspective given the daily repeated myth on here that the UK isn't testing much compared to the rest of the world.

SB

Yes, I meant for the German overall figure of known cases.

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 09:04 - Mar 20 with 2373 viewsSWGF

Going by this anyone know why more people have passed away from on 07:38 - Mar 20 by TractorWood

It's the latter.

Same in my town. Heaving when I'm doing school drop-off. SWGF Snr is indoors. I'm dropping off supplies, from a distance, most days.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024