Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starmer and Rayner elected 11:57 - Apr 4 with 3003 viewstractordownsouth

The #Nandwagon may not have rolled in but I’m hopeful for the future of the Labour Party under Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner. I was initially hopeful of the previous leadership and they garnered a lot of enthusiasm within the party, however after a massive defeat (and 4 overall) we clearly needed a change in direction.

Now’s a time for national unity and we should aim to help the government’s handling of this crisis while asking the difficult questions about the lack of ventilators etc. Then, when the time comes, we really need to challenge the Tories on the social problems caused by the 10 years of austerity and articulate why Labour is a better alternative. When the country’s going through upheaval with the virus and Brexit, that will likely have to be a more moderate one - and I’d urge those on the left of the party to support it if they feel that they can - it’s either Labour who will form the government, or we’re stuck with the Tories. And whilst the membership are valuable, often our views aren’t representative of the wider electorate, whom we need to win power. Of course we must ask questions of Starmer if the time comes but for now he needs the backing.

We now have 4 years to develop a policy programme, reconnect and deliver - whatever the policies are, we can’t do that in opposition.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:21 - Apr 5 with 695 viewssparks

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:11 - Apr 5 by Radlett_blue

Depends if Labour wants to be a protest party or a party of government.

Good grief.

No wonder they are so disfunctional as a political party.

"Class betrayal" indeed.

Presumably "Class betrayal" means working hard, being bright, succeeding... And then standing up for the idea that tehre should be equal opportunities for all.

However, once you have taken one of those opportunities, you betray your class and must be shunned.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2020 10:27]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:27 - Apr 5 with 683 viewsGlasgowBlue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:14 - Apr 5 by Herbivore

The fact she lumps Keir Starmer in with Boris Johnson shows a staggering level of ignorance. Keir is from a working class background and was fortunate and hard working enough to make something of himself. The likes of Johnson are from money and will be monied regardless of how inept they are.

Galloway is having a similar rant.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:30 - Apr 5 with 669 viewsHerbivore

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:27 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

Galloway is a tool.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:37 - Apr 5 with 662 viewsGlasgowBlue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:30 - Apr 5 by Herbivore

Galloway is a tool.

He’s set up a new Workers Party with Chris Williamson. Expect to see a migration there from some of those who joined the Labour Party post 2015.

Iron Lion Zion

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:14 - Apr 5 with 607 viewstractordownsouth

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:58 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

When you see the likes of Jackie Walker go into meltdown then you know Labour have made the right choice.

I know she's a leftie but it is is making me laughing seeing all the right wingers who supposedly hate 'identity politics' falling over themselves to condemn Labour for choosing a white middle class man.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:19 - Apr 5 with 596 viewstractordownsouth

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:37 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

He’s set up a new Workers Party with Chris Williamson. Expect to see a migration there from some of those who joined the Labour Party post 2015.

Hopefully the anti-semites go with them. Personally, I'm fine with having the Corbynistas still around, just not the racists and conspiracy theorists; it's a broad church but we've got to draw the line with them.

The fact that within hours of his election he spoke to Ruth Smeeth and managed to reassure her shows both compassion and political savvy. Margaret Hodge has also said she's encouraged by his words. Hopefully actions can follow.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:50 - Apr 5 with 567 viewssparks

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:27 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

Would that be the Galloway who has enjoyed the benefit of a 7 figure valued property?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:54 - Apr 5 with 562 viewsDarth_Koont

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:19 - Apr 5 by tractordownsouth

Hopefully the anti-semites go with them. Personally, I'm fine with having the Corbynistas still around, just not the racists and conspiracy theorists; it's a broad church but we've got to draw the line with them.

The fact that within hours of his election he spoke to Ruth Smeeth and managed to reassure her shows both compassion and political savvy. Margaret Hodge has also said she's encouraged by his words. Hopefully actions can follow.

As long as they don't whitewash a quite awful smear campaign in the process.

I know the pro-Israeli lobby seemingly has all the cards now but let's not forget that the collateral damage of this was to make pro-Palestinian support almost untenable in any meaningful sense. Which was certainly an aim.

It's time to be objective and truthful about this on all sides rather than just folding to the pressure.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:04 - Apr 5 with 473 viewsElephantintheRoom

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:45 - Apr 5 by Radlett_blue

"a time for national unity" - as long as everyone agrees with your views!

Not at all... if Starmer is serious about trying to re-establish Labour as a party someone sane would vote for he shouldn't be lying at us like the scandal going on at the moment - he should be doing his best to protect the public from the results of tory incompetence - and exposing what the current situation is in terms of death rates - not merely accept 'recorded deaths in hospitals' which do not tally with actual deaths in hospitals or even consider deaths in the community where the virus actually is. He is starting to do this perhaps... and even suggests that this lax government might actually try and work out a way out of this mess before civil unrest kicks in.

The point is the time for national unity is when this is over, when massive tax rises will be needed to restore services to safe levels before the current largesse is paid for - again by taxes.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:24 - Apr 5 with 457 viewsLord_Lucan

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:04 - Apr 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Not at all... if Starmer is serious about trying to re-establish Labour as a party someone sane would vote for he shouldn't be lying at us like the scandal going on at the moment - he should be doing his best to protect the public from the results of tory incompetence - and exposing what the current situation is in terms of death rates - not merely accept 'recorded deaths in hospitals' which do not tally with actual deaths in hospitals or even consider deaths in the community where the virus actually is. He is starting to do this perhaps... and even suggests that this lax government might actually try and work out a way out of this mess before civil unrest kicks in.

The point is the time for national unity is when this is over, when massive tax rises will be needed to restore services to safe levels before the current largesse is paid for - again by taxes.

Good job we had refilled our tank by the time we needed to.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:41 - Apr 5 with 447 viewsGlasgowBlue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:24 - Apr 5 by Lord_Lucan

Good job we had refilled our tank by the time we needed to.

I can't work out whether this bloke is a troll or if it's mad Harry under a new username.

Iron Lion Zion

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:42 - Apr 5 with 446 viewsLord_Lucan

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:41 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

I can't work out whether this bloke is a troll or if it's mad Harry under a new username.

I think you've nailed it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Starmer and Rayner elected on 18:56 - Apr 5 with 404 viewsBrixtonBlue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:58 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

When you see the likes of Jackie Walker go into meltdown then you know Labour have made the right choice.

She's bitter about him being made a knight isn't she!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 19:06 - Apr 5 with 395 viewsEnigma_Blue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:42 - Apr 5 by Lord_Lucan

I think you've nailed it.

He is Pundit who regularly posts drivel on the EADT disqus forum. If you ever compare his comments from there with the football comments he posts on here the similarity is too much of a coincidence.
Starmer and Rayner elected on 20:00 - Apr 5 with 374 viewsDarth_Koont

Starmer and Rayner elected on 18:56 - Apr 5 by BrixtonBlue

She's bitter about him being made a knight isn't she!

She's being silly here. But probably massively bitter about being thrown under the bus re: the sketchy AS accusation that ruined her career/life in the Labour Party.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024