Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of joined up thinking 13:04 - May 15 with 2797 viewsGlasgowBlue

The government are advising people to avoid public transport so Sadiq Khan reintroduces the congestion charge.

Absolute madness.

We know this “avoid public transport” message is a necessary and temporary one, so why not make it easier for people driving to work?

I’d also reduce parking charges during this period.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:09 - May 15 with 1437 viewsBloomBlue

For London I keep saying no congestion charge, reduce car parking charges but also apply Sunday parking rules ie parking on single yellows to all days for a couple of months and that will allow more people to use cars and remove pressure on public transport
Lack of joined up thinking on 13:12 - May 15 with 1409 viewsJosebadleg

The parking charges have effectively been nil recently. The traffic wardens have only cared about dangerous parking and have left the carparks well alone. At least this is the case in the boroughs of richmond and wandsworth.

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:19 - May 15 with 1381 viewsBrixtonBlue

To be fair to him, having read into it more;

"I want to be completely honest and upfront with Londoners," Mr Khan said."This is not the deal I wanted.But it was the only deal the government put on the table and I had no choice but to accept it to keep the Tubes and buses running."

TfL had said it would have been forced to issue a Section 114 notice - the equivalent of a public body going bust - if no deal had been reached by the end of Thursday."

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:27 - May 15 with 1347 viewsGuthrum

Because there isn't the space for the cars on the roads, or enough room to park them.

That's why they're pushing walking and cycling so hard.

Edit: Instant gridlock. Modern large cities in the developed world only really function with mass transit systems. Especially the ones with older centres, not designed and built for motor transport or current volumes of traffic.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 13:36]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:32 - May 15 with 1320 viewsSteve_M

I'm not sure TFL have much choice under the bailout offered by central government. That, in itself, was inevitable as TFL's funding model was changed by Osborne - nodded through by Johnson - removing the government grant element and making it dependent on fare revenue. It was already suffering because of the delays to Crossrail and, obviously, revenues have collapsed completely now.

The government seem quite happy to let Khan take the hit here but driving into London isn't an option for most people in inner London - they don't have cars - and if people can afford to park in central London they can afford the congestion charge.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2020/tfl-the-impossible-finances-of-fighting

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:47 - May 15 with 1285 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:32 - May 15 by Steve_M

I'm not sure TFL have much choice under the bailout offered by central government. That, in itself, was inevitable as TFL's funding model was changed by Osborne - nodded through by Johnson - removing the government grant element and making it dependent on fare revenue. It was already suffering because of the delays to Crossrail and, obviously, revenues have collapsed completely now.

The government seem quite happy to let Khan take the hit here but driving into London isn't an option for most people in inner London - they don't have cars - and if people can afford to park in central London they can afford the congestion charge.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2020/tfl-the-impossible-finances-of-fighting

I know it's hindsight and not that simple but Khan was warned the fare freeze wasn't a good idea that cost £600m - half of the bailout

Crossrail has required a £2b bailout on TFL and Khan's watch, some competency from the Mayor's office there would have helped.

Maybe Khan could reduce the near £1b he spends on PR each year

Khan can moan but he has to take some of the responsibility, the fare freeze wasn't forced on him
Lack of joined up thinking on 13:52 - May 15 with 1272 viewsgiant_stow

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:47 - May 15 by BloomBlue

I know it's hindsight and not that simple but Khan was warned the fare freeze wasn't a good idea that cost £600m - half of the bailout

Crossrail has required a £2b bailout on TFL and Khan's watch, some competency from the Mayor's office there would have helped.

Khan can moan but he has to take some of the responsibility, the fare freeze wasn't forced on him

£1b on PR?!

Got any evidence for yhat mr?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:54 - May 15 with 1265 viewsbluelagos

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:52 - May 15 by giant_stow

£1b on PR?!

Our clean roof is going to have "TFL" on it :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Lack of joined up thinking on 14:55 - May 15 with 1214 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:52 - May 15 by giant_stow

£1b on PR?!

you were correct my typo I meant £1m

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/north_london_news/18149842.sadiq-khan-spends-2
[Post edited 15 May 2020 14:56]
Lack of joined up thinking on 14:56 - May 15 with 1207 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of joined up thinking on 14:55 - May 15 by BloomBlue

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/north_london_news/18149842.sadiq-khan-spends-2

Um... where's the billion in that article?

The article also keeps saying 'Johnson's last year as mayor'. I'd be interested to know the total spends for both mayors over their tenures, and what is being counted as a PR expense exactly.

Also...

"The Mayor’s team say costs have increased because more powers are now devolved to the capital — including on housing, adult education and healthcare — so new staff are needed."

Sounds reasonable.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 14:59]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lack of joined up thinking on 14:59 - May 15 with 1190 viewsbluelagos

Only a thousand times out :-)

Fancy buying my old push bike off me? Yours for £200,000

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Lack of joined up thinking on 14:59 - May 15 with 1188 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 14:56 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

Um... where's the billion in that article?

The article also keeps saying 'Johnson's last year as mayor'. I'd be interested to know the total spends for both mayors over their tenures, and what is being counted as a PR expense exactly.

Also...

"The Mayor’s team say costs have increased because more powers are now devolved to the capital — including on housing, adult education and healthcare — so new staff are needed."

Sounds reasonable.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 14:59]

As I said it was my mistake it was £1m not £1b.

But still you have the fare freeze and the overspend of Crossrail which would easily cover the bailout
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:01 - May 15 with 1186 viewsDanTheMan

They are £12b in debt. The fare freeze cost them money, yes, but it's not the sole cause and it wouldn't have avoided this.

I suggest having a proper read of it, as it's way more complicated than you are making out.

But of course you're probably just trying to blame the Labour mayor for it because Labour.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:01]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:01 - May 15 with 1185 viewsSpruceMoose

So really, your point is pointless. Kahn is spending more than Johnson (in his last year) because his costs have gone up. The Conservative quoted in the article is putting out the shoitiest of smears.

Shocking.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:11 - May 15 with 1165 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:01 - May 15 by DanTheMan

They are £12b in debt. The fare freeze cost them money, yes, but it's not the sole cause and it wouldn't have avoided this.

I suggest having a proper read of it, as it's way more complicated than you are making out.

But of course you're probably just trying to blame the Labour mayor for it because Labour.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:01]

I did say it's not that simple but the overspend for example on Crossrail does come back to TFL and the Mayor's office and that is an additional loan which they have to service. Nearly every promise they made on delivery date has been missed.

As I said Khan has to take some of the blame putting all the blame on what Osborne changed in their funding is just tying to blame the conservatives for it because it's the conservatives.
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:15 - May 15 with 1154 viewsDanTheMan

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:11 - May 15 by BloomBlue

I did say it's not that simple but the overspend for example on Crossrail does come back to TFL and the Mayor's office and that is an additional loan which they have to service. Nearly every promise they made on delivery date has been missed.

As I said Khan has to take some of the blame putting all the blame on what Osborne changed in their funding is just tying to blame the conservatives for it because it's the conservatives.

But, again, they are significantly in debt and have been for some time, some of which has come from failed Boris infrastructure, some of which has come from being forced to borrow.

It's a mixed bag of blame, but I imagine it'll all be Khan's fault by the end. Khan bad.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:15 - May 15 with 1154 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:11 - May 15 by BloomBlue

Ah, the classic 'But Labour' Conservative argument. Good to see one in the wild.

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:19 - May 15 with 1136 viewsClapham_Junction

Crossrail was a project inherited from the previous mayor and going back even beyond him. The idea that Sadiq is significantly to blame for its failings is a bit silly.
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:21 - May 15 with 1115 viewsmonytowbray

A lot of people in London don’t have cars.

The logistics of actually going back to work haven’t been thought through.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:22 - May 15 with 1114 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:15 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

Ah, the classic 'But Labour' Conservative argument. Good to see one in the wild.

You're missing the point

My point is both sides have a responsibility for this situation, Khan is saying the Gov forced his hand but the fact is he has to take some of the responsibilities, even in that article they make the point they had been against Khan's fare freeze. His previous actions including the poor handling of Crossrail have placed extra pressure on TFL's resources
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:24 - May 15 with 1105 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:22 - May 15 by BloomBlue

You're missing the point

My point is both sides have a responsibility for this situation, Khan is saying the Gov forced his hand but the fact is he has to take some of the responsibilities, even in that article they make the point they had been against Khan's fare freeze. His previous actions including the poor handling of Crossrail have placed extra pressure on TFL's resources

Nope. See Clapham_Junction's post for reasons.

This is a classic 'But Labour' diversion.

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:27 - May 15 with 1098 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:24 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

Nope. See Clapham_Junction's post for reasons.

This is a classic 'But Labour' diversion.

Nope you're wrong
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:28 - May 15 with 1094 viewsBlueBadger

So, 100 times less than the government spent on Brexit propaganda only for it not to happen?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:30 - May 15 with 1085 viewsClapham_Junction

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:22 - May 15 by BloomBlue

You're missing the point

The removal of the central government grant (£600m) over just three years is the main reason behind TfL's financial problems.

When the cut in the grant was announced, they had to cut a forecast operating budget of £968m in 2018/19 to just £500m.
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:32 - May 15 with 1068 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:19 - May 15 by BrixtonBlue

To be fair to him, having read into it more;

"I want to be completely honest and upfront with Londoners," Mr Khan said."This is not the deal I wanted.But it was the only deal the government put on the table and I had no choice but to accept it to keep the Tubes and buses running."

TfL had said it would have been forced to issue a Section 114 notice - the equivalent of a public body going bust - if no deal had been reached by the end of Thursday."

Fair enough. I wasn’t aware that it was part of the bail out.

Then it would be sensible for the government to subsidise the loss of income from the congestion charge and reduced parking charges.

Otherwise we will see over crowded trains.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024