Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of joined up thinking 13:04 - May 15 with 2821 viewsGlasgowBlue

The government are advising people to avoid public transport so Sadiq Khan reintroduces the congestion charge.

Absolute madness.

We know this “avoid public transport” message is a necessary and temporary one, so why not make it easier for people driving to work?

I’d also reduce parking charges during this period.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:32 - May 15 with 1352 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:27 - May 15 by BloomBlue

Nope you're wrong

Just keep telling yourself that buddy boy.

You've had it explained, yet you refuse to see. It's what we have come to expect from you.

[Post edited 15 May 2020 15:37]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:38 - May 15 with 1337 viewsClapham_Junction

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:32 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Fair enough. I wasn’t aware that it was part of the bail out.

Then it would be sensible for the government to subsidise the loss of income from the congestion charge and reduced parking charges.

Otherwise we will see over crowded trains.

The problem is that you can't suddenly have large numbers of people driving to work in central London because there isn't space for them all to park.

Plus it clashes with the ambitions to widen pavements to allow pedestrians to social distance, and to get more people cycling - several boroughs are restricting traffic to allow this to happen.
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:41 - May 15 with 1324 viewsjaykay

Lack of joined up thinking on 13:19 - May 15 by BrixtonBlue

To be fair to him, having read into it more;

"I want to be completely honest and upfront with Londoners," Mr Khan said."This is not the deal I wanted.But it was the only deal the government put on the table and I had no choice but to accept it to keep the Tubes and buses running."

TfL had said it would have been forced to issue a Section 114 notice - the equivalent of a public body going bust - if no deal had been reached by the end of Thursday."

good job you did fact checking , otherwise it would have been something to beat khan with.
you should get all them uppies the o.p. got. mind you you gave it a uppie lol.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:42 - May 15 with 1330 viewsBlueBadger

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:22 - May 15 by BloomBlue

You're missing the point

My point is both sides have a responsibility for this situation, Khan is saying the Gov forced his hand but the fact is he has to take some of the responsibilities, even in that article they make the point they had been against Khan's fare freeze. His previous actions including the poor handling of Crossrail have placed extra pressure on TFL's resources

'Yes, but her EMAILS'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:44 - May 15 with 1327 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:30 - May 15 by Clapham_Junction

The removal of the central government grant (£600m) over just three years is the main reason behind TfL's financial problems.

When the cut in the grant was announced, they had to cut a forecast operating budget of £968m in 2018/19 to just £500m.

But there is more than 1 issue, Khan is trying to put it all on the Gov. But Khan £600 million to freeze fares that was another £600m for TFL and there was no need to freeze fares especially in zone 1 and 2. The £2b additional loan + interest on Crossrail has to be serviced, all additional costs to TFL, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard on LBC or local London news of another Crossrail deadline missed. I also assumed lost income from ticket sales

I'm not saying it's all Khan's fault, as I said Khan has to take some of the responsibly
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:45 - May 15 with 1326 viewsBlueBadger

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:44 - May 15 by BloomBlue

But there is more than 1 issue, Khan is trying to put it all on the Gov. But Khan £600 million to freeze fares that was another £600m for TFL and there was no need to freeze fares especially in zone 1 and 2. The £2b additional loan + interest on Crossrail has to be serviced, all additional costs to TFL, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard on LBC or local London news of another Crossrail deadline missed. I also assumed lost income from ticket sales

I'm not saying it's all Khan's fault, as I said Khan has to take some of the responsibly

Which part of government policy should he be taking responsibility for?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:50 - May 15 with 1319 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:45 - May 15 by BlueBadger

Which part of government policy should he be taking responsibility for?

I'm talking about Crossrail and freezing fares

It's TFL and the Mayor's office which has responsibility for Crossrail

It's the Mayor who had responsibility for freezing fares
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:52 - May 15 with 1318 viewsBlueBadger

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:50 - May 15 by BloomBlue

I'm talking about Crossrail and freezing fares

It's TFL and the Mayor's office which has responsibility for Crossrail

It's the Mayor who had responsibility for freezing fares

Crossrail which he inherited from Boris Johnson?

Login to get fewer ads

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:56 - May 15 with 1303 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:52 - May 15 by BlueBadger

'Yes but OBAMAGATE!'

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:59 - May 15 with 1297 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Have you ever driven in London?? As someone who drove in London for a living for 10 years, before Coronavirus was ever a thing and public transport was running normally, it would take over an hour to get from e.g. Hackney to Lewisham at rush hour.

Sadiq Khan is doing exactly the right thing and encouraging people into walking and more importantly cycling. It takes me 30 minutes to cycle from Hackney to Lewisham. And if it was safe to do so I'm sure many more would.
Lack of joined up thinking on 15:59 - May 15 with 1297 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:38 - May 15 by Clapham_Junction

The problem is that you can't suddenly have large numbers of people driving to work in central London because there isn't space for them all to park.

Plus it clashes with the ambitions to widen pavements to allow pedestrians to social distance, and to get more people cycling - several boroughs are restricting traffic to allow this to happen.

Again, as a non London dweller I’ll bow your better knowledge.

No easy answer then.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lack of joined up thinking on 16:05 - May 15 with 1291 viewsBloomBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:52 - May 15 by BlueBadger

Correct Crossrail did start then but the targets being missed now are the targets Khan set, I remember sitting in that building when Khaq was running for Mayor and he gave the targets and what he would do to hit the targets and he missed them and it's on his watch the additional funding was required because of the missed targets.

If you're going to say you will hit this and that target and you don't and it leads to additional borrowing which reduces the overall revenue, then when that revenue isn't suffice, take some of the responsibly
Lack of joined up thinking on 16:32 - May 15 with 1266 viewsSpruceMoose

Lack of joined up thinking on 16:05 - May 15 by BloomBlue

Correct Crossrail did start then but the targets being missed now are the targets Khan set, I remember sitting in that building when Khaq was running for Mayor and he gave the targets and what he would do to hit the targets and he missed them and it's on his watch the additional funding was required because of the missed targets.

If you're going to say you will hit this and that target and you don't and it leads to additional borrowing which reduces the overall revenue, then when that revenue isn't suffice, take some of the responsibly

You seem desperate to divert attention from the Conservatives. if you were FAR more even handed in your attempts to attribute blame I'd have SLIGHTLY more faith in your genuineness.

But you're not, and I don't.

Lack of joined up thinking on 16:53 - May 15 with 1257 viewsCoastalblue

As I understand it a lot of the major roads are going to be seeing no drivers anyway, at least for the immediate future.

Covered here, following a quick search

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/15/large-areas-of-london-to-be-made

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Lack of joined up thinking on 17:10 - May 15 with 1238 viewsbrogansnose

Down voted by accident.
Lack of joined up thinking on 19:40 - May 15 with 1196 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:32 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Fair enough. I wasn’t aware that it was part of the bail out.

Then it would be sensible for the government to subsidise the loss of income from the congestion charge and reduced parking charges.

Otherwise we will see over crowded trains.

Yep.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lack of joined up thinking on 19:43 - May 15 with 1191 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:41 - May 15 by jaykay

good job you did fact checking , otherwise it would have been something to beat khan with.
you should get all them uppies the o.p. got. mind you you gave it a uppie lol.

I gave it an uppie before I read the full story, so I redressed the balance with my post.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lack of joined up thinking on 20:17 - May 15 with 1181 viewsmrshallisfit

Lack of joined up thinking on 16:32 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

You seem desperate to divert attention from the Conservatives. if you were FAR more even handed in your attempts to attribute blame I'd have SLIGHTLY more faith in your genuineness.

But you're not, and I don't.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king. Problem with Bloom Blue is the one 'good' eye is completely f##ked.
Lack of joined up thinking on 20:37 - May 15 with 1174 viewssyntaxerror

Lack of joined up thinking on 15:42 - May 15 by BlueBadger

'Yes, but her EMAILS'.

And his religion of course...
Lack of joined up thinking on 20:44 - May 15 with 1173 viewsOldsmoker

The govt have just bunged Tfl 1.5billion to help them stay afloat and Khan says keep off the tube and buses. Ummm...errrr...words fail me.
The congestion charge coming back is at least a source of income.

From my provincial viewpoint, who cares, they're Londoners. If we don't give a hoot about the people in care homes who we have a responsibilty to provide for BY LAW then why care about the general public who put themselves in harms way when told not to.

As Trumpy says, 100,000 deaths is way less than what the USA were expecting so its a win. Trumps doing a great job.

There's a line in the sand of what's acceptable and what's not.
Joined-up thinking determines that acceptable line.
Where's your line?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Lack of joined up thinking on 10:55 - May 16 with 1120 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 20:44 - May 15 by Oldsmoker

The govt have just bunged Tfl 1.5billion to help them stay afloat and Khan says keep off the tube and buses. Ummm...errrr...words fail me.
The congestion charge coming back is at least a source of income.

From my provincial viewpoint, who cares, they're Londoners. If we don't give a hoot about the people in care homes who we have a responsibilty to provide for BY LAW then why care about the general public who put themselves in harms way when told not to.

As Trumpy says, 100,000 deaths is way less than what the USA were expecting so its a win. Trumps doing a great job.

There's a line in the sand of what's acceptable and what's not.
Joined-up thinking determines that acceptable line.
Where's your line?

I think your view of "who cares, they're Londoners" crosses a line. I don't even know what it means. Not all Londoners are the same.

Lack of joined up thinking on 11:00 - May 16 with 1111 viewspointofblue

The instruction should be public transport is for use by key workers only - those who were travelling to work before last Sunday’s statement. If you can work from home continue to do so. If you can get to work by walking or cycling, cannot work at home, and are in agreement with the provisions the employer has put in place to safeguard social-distancing then do so. If none of the above is possible then continue to be furloughed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Lack of joined up thinking on 11:28 - May 16 with 1105 viewsOldsmoker

Lack of joined up thinking on 10:55 - May 16 by BrixtonBlue

I think your view of "who cares, they're Londoners" crosses a line. I don't even know what it means. Not all Londoners are the same.

I'm playing devils advocate.
There seems to be a disconnect with some people. They're not showing symptons so why should they obey the lockdown rules. It appears to me that some have interpreted the rules (wrongly) to justify their selfishness.
The "who cares, they're Londoners" comment of mine could be thrown at the government.
eg. Why bother protecting patients in Care homes because they're going to die soon anyway. They're not called Gods waiting room for nothing.
eg. Let's get the workers back to work because they create the wealth. The directors and senior managers can stay away and work from home and use the phone because they're not involved in the day-to-day running of the company.
If you're wealthy and have influence you can choose how to deal with the virus but if you're at the other end - vunerable, disabled, live pay-check to pay-check then you live by other peoples decisions, even though those decisions may be not in your best interests and if you complain then you're a wrongun.

..and not all Londoners are the same.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 11:29]

Lack of joined up thinking on 12:36 - May 16 with 1084 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lack of joined up thinking on 11:28 - May 16 by Oldsmoker

I'm playing devils advocate.
There seems to be a disconnect with some people. They're not showing symptons so why should they obey the lockdown rules. It appears to me that some have interpreted the rules (wrongly) to justify their selfishness.
The "who cares, they're Londoners" comment of mine could be thrown at the government.
eg. Why bother protecting patients in Care homes because they're going to die soon anyway. They're not called Gods waiting room for nothing.
eg. Let's get the workers back to work because they create the wealth. The directors and senior managers can stay away and work from home and use the phone because they're not involved in the day-to-day running of the company.
If you're wealthy and have influence you can choose how to deal with the virus but if you're at the other end - vunerable, disabled, live pay-check to pay-check then you live by other peoples decisions, even though those decisions may be not in your best interests and if you complain then you're a wrongun.

..and not all Londoners are the same.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 11:29]

All that's great and fair points, I just don't get where "Londoners" comes into it.

Surely it's just "people" or "lower class people."

Lack of joined up thinking on 20:56 - May 16 with 1058 viewsOldsmoker

Lack of joined up thinking on 12:36 - May 16 by BrixtonBlue

All that's great and fair points, I just don't get where "Londoners" comes into it.

Surely it's just "people" or "lower class people."

Most of the cabinet school their children in private schools and those schools have already decided not to open until September. The Govt. have pushed for state schools to open because thats SEP*.
Most of the people who run businesses don't need to be 'in the office' to run their companies as they can delegate. The people that they delegate to have to be 'in the office'.SEP*
The cabinet don't work in the NHS so they can insist that all NHS staff work whether its safe or not to do so.SEP*
So, my point about Londoners was that I live in Bristol so why should I care about Londoners.SEP*
Do you get my drift.
Selfishness rules and if you disagree then you're just being selfish.
I'm not looking for an argument with you Dollers, you're one of the sane ones on here. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that is being demonstarted not just by the government but anyone who thinks that's it's OK for others to take the hit as long as it's not them.
*SEP - Somebody elses problem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024