Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dominic raab on taking a knee 10:25 - Jun 18 with 6095 viewsDubtractor

We are governed by some of the scummiest people imaginable.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:28 - Jun 18 with 669 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:26 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Jesus wept.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:28 - Jun 18 with 669 viewssparks

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:24 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'll get slaughtered for this as usual. But this shows why taking to a knee is a good thing.

The BLM movement raises issues of injustice, but part of that is educating those with white privilege.

Raab is one example of many people who wont understand the background of taking to a knee and will learn from this.

No idea why you would be slaughtered for that.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:34 - Jun 18 with 644 viewsHerbivore

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:28 - Jun 18 by sparks

No idea why you would be slaughtered for that.

Probably (a) the suggestion that Raab will learn or is indeed capable of learning, and (b) the implication that the Foreign Secretary not knowing the origin of taking a knee and thinking it came from GoT isn't actually all that bad.

This is his usual attempt at 'balance'. It's b0llocks.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:38 - Jun 18 with 644 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:34 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Probably (a) the suggestion that Raab will learn or is indeed capable of learning, and (b) the implication that the Foreign Secretary not knowing the origin of taking a knee and thinking it came from GoT isn't actually all that bad.

This is his usual attempt at 'balance'. It's b0llocks.

I suspect a hell of a lot of MP's are currently keenly researching the origin of taking to a knee.

....along with many other people!

Should Raab known its historic origins? Maybe, but I bet most white people don't or didn't until recently.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:40 - Jun 18 with 643 viewssparks

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:38 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I suspect a hell of a lot of MP's are currently keenly researching the origin of taking to a knee.

Should Raab known its historic origins? Maybe, but I bet most white people don't or didn't until recently.

I think that just about anyone with a brain who has paid any attention to the news and current affairs- whether online or via broadcast media for the last two years, ought to haev a better idea about it than Raab showed.

But I agree that if his obnoxious stupidity gets highlighted and wakes him and others up a bit, that is a positive of sorts.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:41 - Jun 18 with 632 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:40 - Jun 18 by sparks

I think that just about anyone with a brain who has paid any attention to the news and current affairs- whether online or via broadcast media for the last two years, ought to haev a better idea about it than Raab showed.

But I agree that if his obnoxious stupidity gets highlighted and wakes him and others up a bit, that is a positive of sorts.

What is its history beyond the NFL protests?

Serious question.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:43 - Jun 18 with 627 viewsHerbivore

Should Raab have known it's origins? Yes, of course he should. You're creating a position of normalising ignorance even amongst those who should know in order to defend him. That's not balance, that's you being a bit of a jeb-end.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:45 - Jun 18 with 628 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:43 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Should Raab have known it's origins? Yes, of course he should. You're creating a position of normalising ignorance even amongst those who should know in order to defend him. That's not balance, that's you being a bit of a jeb-end.

Dont name call luv.

[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 12:45]

Login to get fewer ads

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:46 - Jun 18 with 617 viewssoupytwist

He didn't need to know its historic origins. He just needed to avoid displaying his massive ignorance and put his own rather white spin on it. He could have acknowledged that whatever its origins, the BLM movement has decided that this is one way that have decided to draw attention to its aims. And that's their choice, people choosing to do it are showing their support in the way that the movement has decided upon.

He can then answer the flipping question.

As I understand it Kaepernick, originally started out by sitting during the national anthem at NFL games and then changed to kneeling after a conversation with a white ex-serviceman. See here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._national_anthem_protests_(2016%E2%80%93presen
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:46 - Jun 18 with 605 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:45 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Dont name call luv.

It's what American football teams do at all ages. It's a sign of respect and team solidarity, not an act of deference.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:47 - Jun 18 with 608 viewsJakeITFC

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:40 - Jun 18 by sparks

I think it's actually offensive and insulting to the movement for the Foreign Secretary to almost take pleasure in his ignorance about it.
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:47 - Jun 18 with 601 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:46 - Jun 18 by soupytwist

He didn't need to know its historic origins. He just needed to avoid displaying his massive ignorance and put his own rather white spin on it. He could have acknowledged that whatever its origins, the BLM movement has decided that this is one way that have decided to draw attention to its aims. And that's their choice, people choosing to do it are showing their support in the way that the movement has decided upon.

He can then answer the flipping question.

As I understand it Kaepernick, originally started out by sitting during the national anthem at NFL games and then changed to kneeling after a conversation with a white ex-serviceman. See here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._national_anthem_protests_(2016%E2%80%93presen

His answer was sh1t and embarrassing, but its highlighted something that people will learn from. Ive never even watched GoT so not sure what he was relating to,

I knew that it came about in the NFL, but I had assumed that its origins were more historic than that.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:48 - Jun 18 with 600 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:46 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

It's what American football teams do at all ages. It's a sign of respect and team solidarity, not an act of deference.

I realise that, but I though it probably had a much longer history.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:49 - Jun 18 with 588 viewsHerbivore

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:45 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Dont name call luv.

It's current use comes from Kaepernick using it in protest. It didn't come from Game of Thrones. Who knew?!

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:49 - Jun 18 with 595 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:47 - Jun 18 by JakeITFC

I think it's actually offensive and insulting to the movement for the Foreign Secretary to almost take pleasure in his ignorance about it.

At least he gave an honest answer, lol. Makes a change for an MP.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 12:49]

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:50 - Jun 18 with 583 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:49 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

It's current use comes from Kaepernick using it in protest. It didn't come from Game of Thrones. Who knew?!

I had no idea it was such a modern act.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:50 - Jun 18 with 583 viewssparks

Absolutely.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:54 - Jun 18 with 564 viewsDanTheMan

This is what's more annoying for me. Sure, not knowing is a bit silly when it would probably be a good idea to do some research as a senior minister.

But then being so confidently wrong about it instead of just saying you don't understand it instead is just crazy.

Hopefully he learns from it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:55 - Jun 18 with 565 viewsLankHenners

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:06 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

I don't know why mainstream media give air to the likes of Grimes and O'Neill. They're not very bright, they're just willing to say controversial things. That Tom Harwood is another, he's such a parody posh Tory boy with not much between the ears and he's basically a blogger, but he's treated like a serious journalist by the Beeb in particular. No wonder our politics and political discourse are in such a state.

Because, sadly, as evidenced by a certain poster in this thread and pretty much every other one he's ever commented on, there are plenty of people with a fairly dim and sheltered view of the world who can't comprehend anything outside of their own lived experiences.

This means they have a rather warped view of what 'balance' means, which the likes of O'Neill, Grimes, Harwood et. al. have latched onto to pick up a paycheck for making a contrarian/reactionary view that does nothing other than to diminish whatever the actual argument is and should be about. The BBC is both full of and panders to these types of people all in the name of pointless, often damaging, bothsides-ism.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:55 - Jun 18 with 556 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:48 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I realise that, but I though it probably had a much longer history.

It does. They've been doing it for decades which is why for Kaepernick it made sense to use it.

I've seen a number of American football documentaries and dramas and every team does it and way before Kaepernick's protest started. It's the equivalent of the huddle in football.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:59 - Jun 18 with 535 viewssparks

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:54 - Jun 18 by DanTheMan

This is what's more annoying for me. Sure, not knowing is a bit silly when it would probably be a good idea to do some research as a senior minister.

But then being so confidently wrong about it instead of just saying you don't understand it instead is just crazy.

Hopefully he learns from it.

He should resign imo. To not have that basic knowledge in the midst of a massive worldwide movement which is front and centre at present, is breathtakingly incompetent.

To connect this with the other thread though- I just read Diane Abbots comments, which are correct in substance... but use the phrase "protesting police brutality". As far as sloppy americanisms go, leaving the word "against" out of that phrase, really irritates me and has become ubiquitous.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:00 - Jun 18 with 530 viewssoupytwist

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:46 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

So it's like a less annoying version of the haka?
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:02 - Jun 18 with 519 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:55 - Jun 18 by LankHenners

Because, sadly, as evidenced by a certain poster in this thread and pretty much every other one he's ever commented on, there are plenty of people with a fairly dim and sheltered view of the world who can't comprehend anything outside of their own lived experiences.

This means they have a rather warped view of what 'balance' means, which the likes of O'Neill, Grimes, Harwood et. al. have latched onto to pick up a paycheck for making a contrarian/reactionary view that does nothing other than to diminish whatever the actual argument is and should be about. The BBC is both full of and panders to these types of people all in the name of pointless, often damaging, bothsides-ism.

Indeed. People tend to say that if the BBC pisses people off on the left and the right then it's a sign that it's doing its job and providing balance.

That ignores the other option that it's just a bit sh!t. And their false balance lowers the level of debate when it should be raising it.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:19 - Jun 18 with 467 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:59 - Jun 18 by sparks

He should resign imo. To not have that basic knowledge in the midst of a massive worldwide movement which is front and centre at present, is breathtakingly incompetent.

To connect this with the other thread though- I just read Diane Abbots comments, which are correct in substance... but use the phrase "protesting police brutality". As far as sloppy americanisms go, leaving the word "against" out of that phrase, really irritates me and has become ubiquitous.

You really need the word "against" in there?

Then you don't understand the meaning of the word "protest".

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:30 - Jun 18 with 448 viewsLankHenners

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:02 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. People tend to say that if the BBC pisses people off on the left and the right then it's a sign that it's doing its job and providing balance.

That ignores the other option that it's just a bit sh!t. And their false balance lowers the level of debate when it should be raising it.

Quite, the 'well if they're getting abuse from both sides of the political divide then they must be doing something right' is a myth and a logical fallacy.

As you say, what it really means is that they haven't addressed things properly and are either just letting two people with their own opposing biases shout at each other or stop a genuine point from getting the attention it deserves because they get someone on to make a counter-point which only results in the original message getting lost.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024