Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dominic raab on taking a knee 10:25 - Jun 18 with 6097 viewsDubtractor

We are governed by some of the scummiest people imaginable.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:31 - Jun 18 with 1779 viewsPlums

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:55 - Jun 18 by LankHenners

Because, sadly, as evidenced by a certain poster in this thread and pretty much every other one he's ever commented on, there are plenty of people with a fairly dim and sheltered view of the world who can't comprehend anything outside of their own lived experiences.

This means they have a rather warped view of what 'balance' means, which the likes of O'Neill, Grimes, Harwood et. al. have latched onto to pick up a paycheck for making a contrarian/reactionary view that does nothing other than to diminish whatever the actual argument is and should be about. The BBC is both full of and panders to these types of people all in the name of pointless, often damaging, bothsides-ism.

The 55 Tufton Street machine and all that hides behind it. Raab and the other cabinet drones are just social climbing, enthusiastic mouthpieces who are being played along with a huge chunk of the population. It’s truly terrifying.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:44 - Jun 18 with 1754 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 13:30 - Jun 18 by LankHenners

Quite, the 'well if they're getting abuse from both sides of the political divide then they must be doing something right' is a myth and a logical fallacy.

As you say, what it really means is that they haven't addressed things properly and are either just letting two people with their own opposing biases shout at each other or stop a genuine point from getting the attention it deserves because they get someone on to make a counter-point which only results in the original message getting lost.

Agreed. It *shouldn't* be that difficult to produce balanced, high-quality news.

But they have to deal with the market forces: A) resources are being squeezed and threatened by the government as a way of keeping the BBC in line. B) Rolling output demands they fill it with content which is where politicians and lobbyists supply a service in exchange for a platform and little formal challenge of their views. And C) they're as dependent on clickbait as most other modern news organisations given the real competition is online nowadays. As a result, these fringe and controversial views especially ones that are unedited and unchallenged make better headlines.

In theory, as a news source that can speak truth to power, the BBC should be independent and be able to hold itself to a higher public service standard. But in reality it isn't allowed to.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:07 - Jun 18 with 1729 viewsBluespeed225

wasnt there a Simpsons episode where Mr Burns asked his baseball team to 'take a knee boys'?
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:22 - Jun 18 with 1691 viewsSpruceMoose

Not only is Premier League football back, so is the Gibbers political point scoring roadshow.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:31 - Jun 18 with 1669 viewsBlueBadger

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:58 - Jun 18 by GlasgowBlue

That somebody as thick and clueless as Raab holds one of the three great offices of state is an utter embarrassment.

He IS a Tory. It's very common in that demographic...
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 15:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:31 - Jun 18 with 1663 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:22 - Jun 18 by SpruceMoose

Not only is Premier League football back, so is the Gibbers political point scoring roadshow.

I'm sure it won't be as transparent and dishonest as his last "middle class white boys" effort ...

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:38 - Jun 18 with 1648 viewsBlueBadger

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:40 - Jun 18 by sparks

I think that just about anyone with a brain who has paid any attention to the news and current affairs- whether online or via broadcast media for the last two years, ought to haev a better idea about it than Raab showed.

But I agree that if his obnoxious stupidity gets highlighted and wakes him and others up a bit, that is a positive of sorts.

As this thread has shown, what it actually does is offer carte blanche to idiots who feel that their unbounded ignorance is somehow Ok and that correcting it is tantamount to bullying it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:40 - Jun 18 with 1642 viewsTractorWood

For all the Tories (very many) failures in the last few months and beyond I honestly don't think he has any idea how naïve and condescending this comes across.

He simply doesn't get it and has led such a sheltered and privileged existence and that he comes from such a different frame of reference that it's ridiculous that he's in a government trying to respond to the movement.

This is exactly why we need tangible change to our systems and processes. It corroborates how necessary and important the movement is.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:48 - Jun 18 with 1621 viewsBlueBadger

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:40 - Jun 18 by TractorWood

For all the Tories (very many) failures in the last few months and beyond I honestly don't think he has any idea how naïve and condescending this comes across.

He simply doesn't get it and has led such a sheltered and privileged existence and that he comes from such a different frame of reference that it's ridiculous that he's in a government trying to respond to the movement.

This is exactly why we need tangible change to our systems and processes. It corroborates how necessary and important the movement is.

Nah, he's simply dog whistling to the grassroots to keep them on side whilst Boris does the whole 'We can't be racist, some of our best ministers are Priti Patel' thing.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:51 - Jun 18 with 1605 viewsBlueBadger

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:34 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Brendan O'Neill is a professional dickhead. His sole purpose is to be contrarian. He was a communist back when Labour were in power and now he's become some far right libertarian. He basically takes a position of opposing the current status quo by adopting a more extreme version of their position. He's also very ugly and probably has a small cock, two factors which I imagine go a long way to explaining the rest of his behaviour. He's also not half as clever as he seems to think he is, he only has a platform because he's prepared to espouse views that even many on the right find appalling.

So, he basically Elephantintheroom?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:54 - Jun 18 with 1609 viewsBlueBadger

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:49 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

At least he gave an honest answer, lol. Makes a change for an MP.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 12:49]

If you're that thick and ignorant, it's probably best to keep silent about it rather than open yourself up to ANOTHER round of people taking the piss out of you for it though, rather than crying yet again when they do it though.

There's a life lesson there.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 18:35]

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 15:29 - Jun 18 with 1541 viewspointofblue

I’m starting to feel the point of Dominic Raab is to make Boris Johnson look semi-intelligent.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 17:21 - Jun 18 with 1459 viewsGlasgowBlue

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:49 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

It's current use comes from Kaepernick using it in protest. It didn't come from Game of Thrones. Who knew?!

MLK took the knee in 1965. In this instance he was leading civil rights protesters into prayer.

It has it's origins in the 18th century when a painting of a slave on his knee was circulated by the British abolitionist movement.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 17:32 - Jun 18 with 1434 viewssparks

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 17:21 - Jun 18 by GlasgowBlue

MLK took the knee in 1965. In this instance he was leading civil rights protesters into prayer.

It has it's origins in the 18th century when a painting of a slave on his knee was circulated by the British abolitionist movement.

I am unconvinced, without more, that is the origin of what is going on now. MLK was kneeling in prayer which is rather different.

The use by BLM is fairly clearly the whole Kapeirnik thing.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 18:01 - Jun 18 with 1397 viewsHerbivore

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 17:21 - Jun 18 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not sure the link between the current use and MLK doing it is solid. Taking a knee is a well known thing in the NFL and taking a knee during the national anthem made a point. The link to MLK taking a knee in prayer seems a bit tenuous. I don't think Kaepernick had that in mind when he started his taking the knee protest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 18:50 - Jun 18 with 1307 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:55 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

It does. They've been doing it for decades which is why for Kaepernick it made sense to use it.

I've seen a number of American football documentaries and dramas and every team does it and way before Kaepernick's protest started. It's the equivalent of the huddle in football.

Whilst kneeling is common in American Football that’s not the reason at all actually

Kaepernick’s original protest was to sit on the bench during the anthem. It was only after initial furore that he changed to kneeling - following on from a discussion with a retired serviceman where it was suggested kneeling would be more respectful to veterans whilst still allowing him to make his point

So nothing to do with the general act in the NFL

Closer than GOT but it sounds like you need to join Raab in kneeling school

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 18:52 - Jun 18 with 1302 viewsreusersfreekicks

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 14:40 - Jun 18 by TractorWood

He is not very bright and a terrible example of the brexit troops getting the best jobs irrespective of ability. Lib dems nearly got rid of him....If he was a sixer at cub scouts he would be out of his depth. Useless. Shows Boris's contempt for the country when incompetent people like Raab and Pritti Patel get such crucial jobs. What a fecking mess and congrats to all tory voters. You have been conned.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 18:56]
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 18:57 - Jun 18 with 1283 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 18:50 - Jun 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Whilst kneeling is common in American Football that’s not the reason at all actually

Kaepernick’s original protest was to sit on the bench during the anthem. It was only after initial furore that he changed to kneeling - following on from a discussion with a retired serviceman where it was suggested kneeling would be more respectful to veterans whilst still allowing him to make his point

So nothing to do with the general act in the NFL

Closer than GOT but it sounds like you need to join Raab in kneeling school

Eh?

My point was that the down on one knee pose was already familiar in American football and nothing to do with deference. If you've seen any documentaries, films or drama series about US sport, you'd know it's long been the position for getting into a team huddle so a sign of respect and team solidarity if anything.

In that sense, it was an acceptable non-standing position. I get that.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:06 - Jun 18 with 1305 viewsjaykay

i know its american football link,but i might have misheard it wrong , but didn't some black americans also use it to copy what the cop did to george floyd.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:13 - Jun 18 with 1282 viewseireblue

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:24 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'll get slaughtered for this as usual. But this shows why taking to a knee is a good thing.

The BLM movement raises issues of injustice, but part of that is educating those with white privilege.

Raab is one example of many people who wont understand the background of taking to a knee and will learn from this.

It is an example of white privilege to assume it should be someone else that educates oneself about racism.

It is not difficult to educate oneself.
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:22 - Jun 18 with 1236 viewsSpruceMoose

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:13 - Jun 18 by eireblue

It is an example of white privilege to assume it should be someone else that educates oneself about racism.

It is not difficult to educate oneself.

I think the reason many White people refuse to accept that White privilege has a real impact is that it must be hard to admit that you've had all the advantages of White privilege but achieved very little with them.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:29 - Jun 18 with 1207 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:22 - Jun 18 by SpruceMoose

I think the reason many White people refuse to accept that White privilege has a real impact is that it must be hard to admit that you've had all the advantages of White privilege but achieved very little with them.

Indeed. It also doesn't mean that there isn't Male Privilege and Class Privilege on top of that which can trap a lot of white people too.

But it's typical of the predominantly white male establishment to get "lesser" white males fighting a race war rather than addressing those other privileges. Divide and conquer at its best.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:35 - Jun 18 with 1182 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 18:57 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

Eh?

My point was that the down on one knee pose was already familiar in American football and nothing to do with deference. If you've seen any documentaries, films or drama series about US sport, you'd know it's long been the position for getting into a team huddle so a sign of respect and team solidarity if anything.

In that sense, it was an acceptable non-standing position. I get that.

Nearly everything in that post about the tradition of kneeling In American Football is wrong, but even if it wasn’t that still misses the point

Kaepernick choosing to take a knee had absolutely nothing to do with it’s use in the NFL, it was suggested by an outside source

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:39 - Jun 18 with 1177 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 19:35 - Jun 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Nearly everything in that post about the tradition of kneeling In American Football is wrong, but even if it wasn’t that still misses the point

Kaepernick choosing to take a knee had absolutely nothing to do with it’s use in the NFL, it was suggested by an outside source

I can see you're on one this evening.

I'll leave you to it.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 23:12 - Jun 18 with 1081 viewsDubtractor

Cold War Steve on point as usual..

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024