Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wage Cap 12:05 - Jun 19 with 1604 viewsdanbaker007

I think that the new wage cap shouldn't be a fixed sum, but possibly a percentage of revenue, because clubs like Accrington with under 3000 average attendance with the same wages as us is unfair and just increases the gap between the Premier League and the EFL.
Wage Cap on 12:08 - Jun 19 with 1587 viewsLibero

You've heard of FFP, right?
Wage Cap on 14:06 - Jun 19 with 1517 viewsBlueBadger

17th June 2020 - The Day Ipswich Town FC Died by BlueBadger 17 Jun 2020 17:07
Are you suggesting that without the advantage of a generous-for-the-division budget we may be uncompetitive?

I hate to break the news..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Wage Cap on 15:10 - Jun 19 with 1482 viewsSuperCoops

So because you're a small club you get penalised?

So in the Prem, clubs like Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal with the bigger stadiums could massively outdo a Bournemouth or club with smaller crowds?
Wage Cap on 12:21 - Jun 20 with 1401 viewsbluebare

Wage Cap on 15:10 - Jun 19 by SuperCoops

So because you're a small club you get penalised?

So in the Prem, clubs like Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal with the bigger stadiums could massively outdo a Bournemouth or club with smaller crowds?

So you should be penalised for being successful? Clubs like Bournemouth have made money from being in the prem so they can improve their ground etc like other clubs have done and increase the revenue of the club so greater spending power
Wage Cap on 21:38 - Jun 20 with 1321 viewsglasso

Wage Cap on 12:21 - Jun 20 by bluebare

So you should be penalised for being successful? Clubs like Bournemouth have made money from being in the prem so they can improve their ground etc like other clubs have done and increase the revenue of the club so greater spending power

But if you bring it in at a point when certain clubs are already bigger than others, all you're doing is making sure you keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small.

United, Liverpool, Man City etc will have more to spend, attract the bigger players, get more fans because of those bigger players, win more, get bigger players, attract more fans... is that the football you really want? I mean, we already have that to a degree, but you're arguing for more of that?
Wage Cap on 01:26 - Jun 21 with 1289 viewsSuperCoops

Wage Cap on 12:21 - Jun 20 by bluebare

I think you're looking at Bournemouth's example too simplistically. Firstly, they can't redevelop Dean Court (Vitality Stadium or whatever) much further because of the land restrictions around the stadium.

Secondly, Bournemouth could win the Premiership for the next 5 years but would never get the crowds of say Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc because of the small area it represents. Yes, it would pick up new fans (capacity permitting), but wouldn't get the draw a city team could attract.

But without levelling the playing field so all can live a bit more equal, it will just continue to be ladies) leagues within leagues and new) 'newer' sides will find it harder and harder to compete.
Wage Cap on 10:05 - Jun 21 with 1257 viewstractorboy1978

Wage Cap on 01:26 - Jun 21 by SuperCoops

I think you're looking at Bournemouth's example too simplistically. Firstly, they can't redevelop Dean Court (Vitality Stadium or whatever) much further because of the land restrictions around the stadium.

Secondly, Bournemouth could win the Premiership for the next 5 years but would never get the crowds of say Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc because of the small area it represents. Yes, it would pick up new fans (capacity permitting), but wouldn't get the draw a city team could attract.

But without levelling the playing field so all can live a bit more equal, it will just continue to be ladies) leagues within leagues and new) 'newer' sides will find it harder and harder to compete.

There will never be a cap in the PL so it's a pointless debate but the purpose of this proposal is about making it more financially sustainable rather than a more even playing field. And what is sustainable for a club like Ipswich is much higher than it is for a club like Accrington.
Wage Cap on 10:25 - Jun 21 with 1230 viewsSimonds92

Of course the larger teams should have a larger salary cap. The point in all this is to have sustainability so that there's not another Bolton. They were in the prem for years and still were on the verge of going bust.
Your recommendation for a level playing field effectively encourages the US model and we'll end up with no relegation or promotion.
Login to get fewer ads

Wage Cap on 21:11 - Jun 21 with 1155 viewsblueconscience

Wage Cap on 12:08 - Jun 19 by Libero

You've heard of FFP, right?

Is that the rule that a lot of clubs just ignored?

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Wage Cap on 21:14 - Jun 21 with 1151 viewsLibero

Wage Cap on 21:11 - Jun 21 by blueconscience

Is that the rule that a lot of clubs just ignored?

...and we’re punished for? Yeah, that one.
Wage Cap on 21:18 - Jun 21 with 1145 viewsblueconscience

Wage Cap on 21:14 - Jun 21 by Libero

...and we’re punished for? Yeah, that one.

I only thought a few were punished, not all. But I take your word for it.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Wage Cap on 21:44 - Jun 21 with 1128 viewsLibero

Wage Cap on 21:18 - Jun 21 by blueconscience

I only thought a few were punished, not all. But I take your word for it.

QPR and Derby from the top of my head, not sure if there were others but both clubs really took the p1ss financially.

Some will say the punishments don’t do enough to stop that kind of behaviour but what’s the alternative to ensure clubs live within their means? If it’s wage cap for League One only then I don’t want it. Especially as majority of clubs pushing their finances are Championship clubs.
Wage Cap on 21:55 - Jun 21 with 1117 viewstractorboy1978

Wage Cap on 21:44 - Jun 21 by Libero

QPR and Derby from the top of my head, not sure if there were others but both clubs really took the p1ss financially.

Some will say the punishments don’t do enough to stop that kind of behaviour but what’s the alternative to ensure clubs live within their means? If it’s wage cap for League One only then I don’t want it. Especially as majority of clubs pushing their finances are Championship clubs.

I struggle to see how a system which allows Championship clubs to lose up to £39m over 3 seasons can be looked at with any credibility. The cat seems out of the bag in the Championship and there isn't much if any desire to do anything about it.
Wage Cap on 10:19 - Jun 22 with 1034 viewsIpswichKnight

I might be wrong on this but don't Bournemouth have some FFP sanctions heading there way if they get relegated?
Wage Cap on 11:33 - Jun 22 with 1000 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I think you may be underestimating the size of Bournemouth. With Poole and Christchurch it is part of a conurbation with a population of more than half a million and there are other small towns close by.

I am not suggesting that the football club will ever match Manchester United, Arsenal etc for size. But if ever they capture, fully, the local market, then there is no reason why they should not prosper among the next group.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 11:35]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Wage Cap on 16:40 - Jun 22 with 920 viewsGeoffSentence

Wage Cap on 11:33 - Jun 22 by Tangledupin_Blue

I think you may be underestimating the size of Bournemouth. With Poole and Christchurch it is part of a conurbation with a population of more than half a million and there are other small towns close by.

I am not suggesting that the football club will ever match Manchester United, Arsenal etc for size. But if ever they capture, fully, the local market, then there is no reason why they should not prosper among the next group.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 11:35]

Yes, I don't think people realise quite how big the Bournemouth urban area is, it is considerably bigger than Derby for instance.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024