Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
38C in the Arctic circle, apparently 18:16 - Jun 22 with 1251 viewsNthQldITFC

Average temperature about 10C above normal for March, April and May.
That's some nasty sh1t, don't know what effect that will be having upon permafrost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53140069

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 18:21 - Jun 22 with 1232 viewsfactual_blue

That'll be China's doing.

#trumpknowsthescore

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 19:06 - Jun 22 with 1177 viewseastangliaisblue

I just can't get my head round the fact, the Arctic circle is getting to 38C. That is mental.
38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 20:06 - Jun 22 with 1117 viewsmonytowbray

Jeez.

It’s worrying that recent reports say we may have missed some factors with climate change and could have less time to mitigate the risk.

Climate change is terrifying and it amazes me people keep spitting out kids whilst paying no attention to the world. We need drastic action to fix it and soon. I dread to think what world my daughter will experience.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:31 - Jun 22 with 1053 viewsStokieBlue

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 20:06 - Jun 22 by monytowbray

Jeez.

It’s worrying that recent reports say we may have missed some factors with climate change and could have less time to mitigate the risk.

Climate change is terrifying and it amazes me people keep spitting out kids whilst paying no attention to the world. We need drastic action to fix it and soon. I dread to think what world my daughter will experience.

Welcome back.

There is no chance of mitigating the first tranche of risk, we are too far along the path. Further tranches could be mitigated given the will but it remains to be seen if that will happen. I think the most likely way it will happen isn't through political will but the fact that technology is making it cheaper and thus preferable to move away from some of the most polluting solutions.

I saw this the other day and thought it did give a small tinge of hope for the future:

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-change-global-energy-de

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/12/wind-and-solar-plants-will-s

Business will gravitate towards the cheapest solution and that is quickly becoming renewables.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:39 - Jun 22 with 1050 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One of the comments on the Yahoo news article claiming BLM was a hard left movement said:

"now that climate change has been debunked the hard left need another hobby horse and BLM is it." or words to that effect.

There is no cure for stupid is there? Unfortunately that level of stupid is far too prevalent and affects us all - in both cases.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:44 - Jun 22 with 1041 viewsStokieBlue

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:39 - Jun 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

One of the comments on the Yahoo news article claiming BLM was a hard left movement said:

"now that climate change has been debunked the hard left need another hobby horse and BLM is it." or words to that effect.

There is no cure for stupid is there? Unfortunately that level of stupid is far too prevalent and affects us all - in both cases.

Well I think there is a cure for stupid in this context and that's better critical thinking taught in schools. The next generation need to be able to critically appraise the sources of information they are receiving because they are going to be bombarded with nonsense from every angle.

That would take a large shift in education though so unlikely unfortunately.

SB

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 23:02 - Jun 22 with 1004 viewsPlums

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:44 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

Well I think there is a cure for stupid in this context and that's better critical thinking taught in schools. The next generation need to be able to critically appraise the sources of information they are receiving because they are going to be bombarded with nonsense from every angle.

SB

You’re spot on but of course critical thinking is all too easily labelled as lefty nonsense. I’m very grateful to have studied David Hare’s Pravda at school. It should be compulsory reading as it lays bare the issues in an accessible way.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 23:40 - Jun 22 with 974 viewsNthsuffolkblue

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:44 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Sorry, I disagree. Perhaps more focus should be put on it but critical thinking is taught. The problem is with a refusal to accept it. Many of the customers of education leave without having learnt a large proportion of what they should have done. Unfortunately much of it is set up to gain qualifications above developing skills too.

Login to get fewer ads

38C in the Arctic cihttps://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/rcle, apparently on 23:53 - Jun 22 with 958 viewsStokieBlue

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 23:40 - Jun 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sorry, I disagree. Perhaps more focus should be put on it but critical thinking is taught. The problem is with a refusal to accept it. Many of the customers of education leave without having learnt a large proportion of what they should have done. Unfortunately much of it is set up to gain qualifications above developing skills too.

It's not taught as a core across many subjects which is what it should be otherwise the youngsters of tomorrow are emerging into a world they aren't prepared for.

It's not a slight at teachers, it's a fundamental point about the curriculum and what is required in our current world.

"The problem is with a refusal to accept it."

Why would children refuse to accept it? I am genuinely interested to know.

SB

38C in the Arctic cihttps://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/rcle, apparently on 00:17 - Jun 23 with 943 viewsmonytowbray

38C in the Arctic cihttps://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/rcle, apparently on 23:53 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

It's not taught as a core across many subjects which is what it should be otherwise the youngsters of tomorrow are emerging into a world they aren't prepared for.

It's not a slight at teachers, it's a fundamental point about the curriculum and what is required in our current world.

SB

I think I see the point. He’s saying school in itself is an indoctrination into the system rather than the ability to think critically of it.

If so, it’s a solid point. School in hindsight to me felt like pressure I was no where near ready for and basic knowledge that is rather redundant now.

My favourite teacher was the Humanities one who was the trajectory to whatever the hell I am now. That and media studies taught me early on about news bias. And the headteacher decided not to let me sit my Media Studies GCSE in the end as he seemed to take great pride in destroying a 16 year old’s future because he was a little bit of a cocky smart ass (still am but doing alright).

School is little more than collecting grades to make the area look more desirable and get funding these days. Was when I was there.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 06:45 - Jun 23 with 883 viewseastangliaisblue

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 20:06 - Jun 22 by monytowbray

Jeez.

Population growth is a massive problem that gets overlooked IMO. Trouble is the world only measure's success through economic growth, which goes hand in hand with population growth.
38C in the Arctic cihttps://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/rcle, apparently on 16:49 - Jun 23 with 757 viewsNthsuffolkblue

38C in the Arctic cihttps://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/rcle, apparently on 23:53 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

SB

The refusal to accept is about conditioning from outside school.

Most youngsters take a lot of their worldview from their parents, the media and friends. If they accepted PSHEE teaching from schools we wouldn't have the drug and teenage pregnancy statistics we do have.

I also accept the curriculum could do a lot better as I did note too. It is taught just not enough and not well enough, I accept that.

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 17:12 - Jun 23 with 740 viewsSwansea_Blue

38C in the Arctic circle, apparently on 22:39 - Jun 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

"There is no cure for stupid is there?"

They certainly haven't found one for me yet

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024