Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? 18:55 - Jun 26 with 3524 viewsGOSBTS

Hi all,

History Indoors is an organisation run by researchers from the University of Essex providing free history talks to the general public during the lockdown on Zoom. Our next talk on Wednesday looks at whether the pre-Premier League 1970s and 80s was a golden era or not. Terracing and affordable ticket prices versus racism and hooliganism?

This might be particularly enjoyable for Town fans. Do you look back on pre-PL football with fondness?

The talk is at 2pm and 7pm on Wednesday 1st July. You can find out more and sign up here: https://historyindoors.co.uk/talk/the-golden-age-english-football-before-the-pre

EDIT: Talk is now on the History Indoors YouTube channel:

[Post edited 3 Jul 2020 12:23]
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:03 - Jun 26 with 3484 viewsvapour_trail

Nah.

The Evans years, are truly the golden era.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:20 - Jun 26 with 3461 viewsMoriarty

fka omuircheartaigh

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:28 - Jun 26 with 3437 viewsPJH

The answer to your question in your headline is, in my opinion, most certainly yes.

You could add the 60's to it as well if you want.
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:36 - Jun 26 with 3429 viewsfactual_blue

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:28 - Jun 26 by PJH

The answer to your question in your headline is, in my opinion, most certainly yes.

You could add the 60's to it as well if you want.

A 'golden age' tends to be a period some 20-30 years before the present day, whenever you're talking about.

it's the notion that everything was better in the past.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:40 - Jun 26 with 3425 viewsShawsey

60s 70s and 80s for Ipswich, otherwise I would say that with all sports, the quality and pace is far better now.
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 20:14 - Jun 26 with 3392 viewsPJH

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:40 - Jun 26 by Shawsey

60s 70s and 80s for Ipswich, otherwise I would say that with all sports, the quality and pace is far better now.

The pace is,the quality is not.
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 21:22 - Jun 26 with 3355 views66notout

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 20:14 - Jun 26 by PJH

The pace is,the quality is not.

Hear hear. I’m with you PJH. Essentially Town had a 20-year purple patch, even allowing for relegation under Jackie Milburn.
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 07:03 - Jun 27 with 3245 viewsShawsey

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 21:22 - Jun 26 by 66notout

Hear hear. I’m with you PJH. Essentially Town had a 20-year purple patch, even allowing for relegation under Jackie Milburn.

Not talking about Ipswich, football and other sports in general. The quality of the Premier League is far higher than when we were last in it. Tennis, Golf, Athletics, Rowing etc. Almost all if not all sports are better now than they were back in the day. I am not talking about from a fans view, but from a sports view.
Login to get fewer ads

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 08:37 - Jun 27 with 3209 viewsPJH

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 07:03 - Jun 27 by Shawsey

Not talking about Ipswich, football and other sports in general. The quality of the Premier League is far higher than when we were last in it. Tennis, Golf, Athletics, Rowing etc. Almost all if not all sports are better now than they were back in the day. I am not talking about from a fans view, but from a sports view.

I don't agree that sports are better now than back then.

The participants (no not them from Norfolk) are fitter,faster and stronger but I do not see that the quality is better and in the case of football at least I do not think that it is as good to watch now.

I do not watch much Premier League football but I think football as a spectator sport was far better when players were allowed to tackle.

Possession stats are good now though so that is what really matters.
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 09:43 - Jun 27 with 3174 viewsRadlett_blue

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:20 - Jun 26 by Moriarty

The 1980s were the absolute nadir for football as a spectator sport. Crumbling stadia plus hooliganism meant that the average attendance in England's top division fell below 19,000, compared with nearly 30,000 in the 1970s. Similar falls were seen across the Football League.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:17 - Jun 27 with 3147 viewsElephantintheRoom

From a Brit perspective the 60s were the golden era of football... England were world champs, they could and should have won it again in Mexico in 1970.... English clubs were beginning to win in Europe and European teams seemed glorious exotic.... there was even the mystery of the Iron Curtain.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:31 - Jun 27 with 3145 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 09:43 - Jun 27 by Radlett_blue

The 1980s were the absolute nadir for football as a spectator sport. Crumbling stadia plus hooliganism meant that the average attendance in England's top division fell below 19,000, compared with nearly 30,000 in the 1970s. Similar falls were seen across the Football League.

As evidenced here ...

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

Lots of variables to account for in explaining those attendance figures I guess but it is interesting that attendances over the four professional divisions are only recently approaching the highs last seen in the 1950's.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:37 - Jun 27 with 3139 viewsbournemouthblue

Footballwise, English Football appeared to be strong, did the England side underperform in this era?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:47 - Jun 27 with 3122 viewsRadlett_blue

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:37 - Jun 27 by bournemouthblue

Footballwise, English Football appeared to be strong, did the England side underperform in this era?

England failed to qualify for the 74 & 78 World Cups, plus the 76 Euros. Qualification was harder in those days e.g. in 1974 England unluckily lost out to Poland, who were good enough to reach the semi finals & in 1978 England were pipped by Italy. In 1976 England lost out to Czechoslovakia, who went on to win the tournament. England again failed to qualify for the 1984 Euros, but only 8 teams qualified in those days (which I think made for a more exciting qualification period, now an absolute yawn).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 11:02 - Jun 27 with 3111 viewsElephantintheRoom

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 07:03 - Jun 27 by Shawsey

I'm sorry but that is complete baloney - based on media hype and short term memory.

Rose-tinted glasses come into it no doubt - but the 60s were most definately a golden age of sport..... Cassius Clay/Ali - global icon.... Jack Nicklaus who hit golf balls with a driver little more than a walnut on a stick compared to the cannons they use now.....tennis became a professional sport with players that probably havent been equalled since apart from perhaps Federer..... Mexico Olympics 1968..... England having some of the world's best footballers..... as did Scotland and Northern Ireland..... and there wasnt saturation coverage of sport - so it was all rather exciting and relatively unknown.

The same is true for music of course.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 14:23 - Jun 28 with 2994 viewsGOSBTS

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:31 - Jun 27 by You_Bloo_Right

As evidenced here ...

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

Lots of variables to account for in explaining those attendance figures I guess but it is interesting that attendances over the four professional divisions are only recently approaching the highs last seen in the 1950's.

On a similar thread on another forum somebody mentioned the declining attendances too. Many thanks for the graph - it's really interesting to see that reflected in the numbers. I'm in my late 20s and thus wasn't around in that era. Was the decline in attendances directly due to football matches not being a safe place to be? Was there a decline in attendance at Portman Road too during that time?
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:01 - Jun 28 with 2929 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 14:23 - Jun 28 by GOSBTS

On a similar thread on another forum somebody mentioned the declining attendances too. Many thanks for the graph - it's really interesting to see that reflected in the numbers. I'm in my late 20s and thus wasn't around in that era. Was the decline in attendances directly due to football matches not being a safe place to be? Was there a decline in attendance at Portman Road too during that time?

As I said probably a number of factors to take into account but at the start of the 80's average attendances at PR were about 25K. By the end of the decade less than half that.

Of course the 1980/81 season may have skewed the figures a bit.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 20:15 - Jun 28 with 2889 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I agree, particularly from an ITFC point of view it was the golden age. A time before money really ruled in the way it has done increasingly.

However, terracing was not always a positive thing - it had its problems that hopefully the modern versions of it will have gone a long way to mitigate.

Also, due to rule changes, I think it was a far slower and more physical game then whereas now (at the top level at least) there is far more skill on show, the pace of the game is far quicker and the players are far fitter.

Sorry to spoil your talk by giving all the answers in advance!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 22:47 - Jun 28 with 2845 viewsArnieM

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 20:15 - Jun 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

I agree, particularly from an ITFC point of view it was the golden age. A time before money really ruled in the way it has done increasingly.

However, terracing was not always a positive thing - it had its problems that hopefully the modern versions of it will have gone a long way to mitigate.

Also, due to rule changes, I think it was a far slower and more physical game then whereas now (at the top level at least) there is far more skill on show, the pace of the game is far quicker and the players are far fitter.

Sorry to spoil your talk by giving all the answers in advance!

Does a sport which is played at break neck pace therefore become “ better”?
So many sports are now guided and backed by state of the art science . All to achieve that extra millimetre in distance achieved or millisecond faster . But is it necessarily “ better”? It could be argued that tennis is now all about the Ace serve. Delivered at over 100mph- un returnable. Less rallies. Just a slog it out spectical from the base line ( yaaawn). Or the Snooker player who once at the table clears it without the opposition ever getting another chance because players now practice 12 hrs every day and are essentially flawless ( another yawn) .
Then there’s our beautiful game : football. The ball is now the weight of a ping pong ball. The game is as you say quicker . Players rarely “ on the ball” got more than a micro second. If you can’t sprint a 100m in 10 seconds you deemed it good enough for the PL top clubs. The game has become a joke. Practically non contact these days. Players dive and fein in an attempt to get an opponent sent off. Yes the players are super fit. Perhaps technically better , but the modern game seems so plastic, superficial , and largely about money first and foremost these days .

Give me a muddy pitch , honest hard crunching tackles and flying headers anyway . You youngsters have missed some classic games tbh where certain Clubs had their style of play. Now it’s all “ much of a muchness”. I can remember games I’d watched 40 years ago like I’d seen them yesterday , but in truth I could describe to you any of the games I’ve watched in the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I’d prefer to watch the games in the 70’s, 80’s any day .

COYBs 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 23:08 - Jun 28 with 2821 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 22:47 - Jun 28 by ArnieM

Does a sport which is played at break neck pace therefore become “ better”?
So many sports are now guided and backed by state of the art science . All to achieve that extra millimetre in distance achieved or millisecond faster . But is it necessarily “ better”? It could be argued that tennis is now all about the Ace serve. Delivered at over 100mph- un returnable. Less rallies. Just a slog it out spectical from the base line ( yaaawn). Or the Snooker player who once at the table clears it without the opposition ever getting another chance because players now practice 12 hrs every day and are essentially flawless ( another yawn) .
Then there’s our beautiful game : football. The ball is now the weight of a ping pong ball. The game is as you say quicker . Players rarely “ on the ball” got more than a micro second. If you can’t sprint a 100m in 10 seconds you deemed it good enough for the PL top clubs. The game has become a joke. Practically non contact these days. Players dive and fein in an attempt to get an opponent sent off. Yes the players are super fit. Perhaps technically better , but the modern game seems so plastic, superficial , and largely about money first and foremost these days .

Give me a muddy pitch , honest hard crunching tackles and flying headers anyway . You youngsters have missed some classic games tbh where certain Clubs had their style of play. Now it’s all “ much of a muchness”. I can remember games I’d watched 40 years ago like I’d seen them yesterday , but in truth I could describe to you any of the games I’ve watched in the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I’d prefer to watch the games in the 70’s, 80’s any day .

COYBs 👍

I would say the bit that has sped up the game and made it better is the rule change to prevent a goal keeper picking up a back pass. There was an awful lot of time taken out of games by that.

As I say, some things were better, but I think the skills on show now are generally better. Of course, there are some exceptions and I would love to have seen Muhren and Thijssen play.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 23:32 - Jun 28 with 2796 viewsHerbivore

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 10:17 - Jun 27 by ElephantintheRoom

From a Brit perspective the 60s were the golden era of football... England were world champs, they could and should have won it again in Mexico in 1970.... English clubs were beginning to win in Europe and European teams seemed glorious exotic.... there was even the mystery of the Iron Curtain.

1970 wasn't in the 60s, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 17:21 - Jun 30 with 2659 viewsGOSBTS

Amongst all of the excitement over the rather lush looking new kit, just a reminder that the talks are on at 2pm and 7pm tomorrow (Wednesday) via Zoom, and there's still time to sign up for free here: https://historyindoors.co.uk/talk/the-golden-age-english-football-before-the-pre

Great to see the discussion the topic has sparked already, thanks for your contributions everybody. They'll certainly be reflected in my question to the speaker during the Q&A session after the talk!
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:03 - Jun 30 with 2644 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 19:40 - Jun 26 by Shawsey

Faster and more athletic today, but quality wise I'm not so sure. English domestic football was a far better watch 1995-2005.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 13:48 - Jul 1 with 2594 viewsGOSBTS

Here are the links for today’s talks if anyone has spare time on their hands and wants to tune in:

2pm: https://essex-university.zoom.us/j/96556342241

7pm: https://essex-university.zoom.us/j/91758479512
Were the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? on 12:23 - Jul 3 with 2533 viewsGOSBTS

Hi all,

For anyone who missed it, the talk is now on the History Indoors YouTube channel. Features a fair bit of Town in it!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024