Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Players of the Decade.... 07:27 - Jul 12 with 1541 viewsITFC_Forever

Following on from a minor debate last night on one of the McG threads, who would you class as the players of the decade?

1970’s: Kevin Beattie. Frequently lauded as our best ever, and this was the decade he played in.

1980’s: Terry Butcher. Quite a lot to choose from to be honest and John Wark would be an equally acceptable winner. Both played for us for longer than most of the rest of the legendary early 80s sides, and were two of our most important players. Paul Cooper could be another contender too.
The likes of Muhren, Thijssen, Mariner, Mills, Burley, Osman etc all left before the other three.

1990’s: Richard Wright. Quite a tough one, and the decade can be split in to two halves, Before Burley and After Burley. Wright made his debut in the Prem when he was only 17 and was established as first choice within a year, and was virtually ever-present for the rest of the decade.
Others that could be chosen include Dozzell, Wark, Johnson and Holland. There were others that were very good servants to the club in this decade as well; Stockwell, Marshall, Milton, Mathie.

2000’s: Jim Magilton. Classy player who also had a spell as manager in the same decade. A hard decade to choose from, as by the middle of the 00’s, there became a high turnover of players as administration took hold, so the likes of Stewart, Bramble, Holland, Herman, Reuser etc didn’t actually play that many seasons with us. You could possibly make cases for Kuqi and Pablo, but I’m not getting in to that debate!

2010: David McGoldrick. More quality than most of the dross that played in that decade put together, we missed him so much when he was out it was embarrassing. Other contenders could be Berra, Bart and possibly Murphy.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 9:34]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:31 - Jul 12 with 1094 viewsitfcjoe

I think McG has been our best player in recent years, but he couldn’t be player of the decade as couldn’t stay fit and subsequently achieve anything.

It has to be Murphy or Bart as both have more tangible achievements and longevity

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:41 - Jul 12 with 1074 viewstextbackup

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:31 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

I think McG has been our best player in recent years, but he couldn’t be player of the decade as couldn’t stay fit and subsequently achieve anything.

It has to be Murphy or Bart as both have more tangible achievements and longevity

You'd suggest Bart, even tho he admitted they gave up on staying up in November?

Surely that needs to be factored in when picking a club legend, player of the decade? Made a string of wonderful saves, no doubting that, but a weak mindset has set the tone and this club for years. Hi, and his admission, added to this.

My suggestion to get player of the decade, nobody. Not even a player remotely worthy of it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:44 - Jul 12 with 1056 viewsITFC_Forever

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:31 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

Murphy only really was a stand out performer in one season. McG did it every season, but I will concede his injury spells stop him winning the 2010 award by a landslide.

Bart’s final season doesn’t do him any favours, it before that he saved us a number of points every season.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:51 - Jul 12 with 1041 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:41 - Jul 12 by textbackup

You'd suggest Bart, even tho he admitted they gave up on staying up in November?

Surely that needs to be factored in when picking a club legend, player of the decade? Made a string of wonderful saves, no doubting that, but a weak mindset has set the tone and this club for years. Hi, and his admission, added to this.

My suggestion to get player of the decade, nobody. Not even a player remotely worthy of it

When I listened to that interview with him that wasn’t how I took what he said - same as the McGoldrick quote that gets wheeled out

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:01 - Jul 12 with 1022 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:44 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

Murphy only really was a stand out performer in one season. McG did it every season, but I will concede his injury spells stop him winning the 2010 award by a landslide.

Bart’s final season doesn’t do him any favours, it before that he saved us a number of points every season.

McG didn’t do it every season as never got through one, and I’m as big a McG ‘fan-boy’ as you can get.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:12 - Jul 12 with 1012 viewstextbackup

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:51 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

When I listened to that interview with him that wasn’t how I took what he said - same as the McGoldrick quote that gets wheeled out

No? Each to their own. I know what I heard, and how it came across to me.

If you refer to ‘at Ipswich it didn’t feel like we had to win every week’ I’m not sure how else that could be taken. Again, each to their own

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:17 - Jul 12 with 988 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:12 - Jul 12 by textbackup

No? Each to their own. I know what I heard, and how it came across to me.

If you refer to ‘at Ipswich it didn’t feel like we had to win every week’ I’m not sure how else that could be taken. Again, each to their own

He was talking about having something to play for at the end of the season, where the games mean something in the run in - realistically the only time here that it did was 14/15 when he was injured and 16/17 when he played well in the key games to ensure we were safe.

Other than that we had nothing to play for after Feb/March time which was when he was talking about

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:24 - Jul 12 with 961 viewstextbackup

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:17 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

He was talking about having something to play for at the end of the season, where the games mean something in the run in - realistically the only time here that it did was 14/15 when he was injured and 16/17 when he played well in the key games to ensure we were safe.

Other than that we had nothing to play for after Feb/March time which was when he was talking about

Professional pride?
Winning for the fans that turn up weekly?

I mean them things might be high on the list of ‘why we want to win this game’

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:30 - Jul 12 with 949 viewsHerbivore

I don't think Didz can be our player of the 2010s, and I loved Didz to bits. His first two seasons here he was great but thereafter injuries meant he was constantly playing catch up and he only ever showed glimpses of quality rather than sustained runs of games where he looked class. He made a similar number of appearances across 5 years here as Cresswell made in 3 years and I'd say Cresswell played at a better level more consistently over his appearances here than Didz. That said, I don't think either played enough to be our player of the decade. For me I lean towards Murphy as he scored a decent number of goals for us and played a lot of games for us in that decade. Honourable mention to Bart. Skuse and Chambers have been good servants but haven't consistently performed at a high enough level in comparison to the other contenders.

Basically, I possibly make Didz the best player we had in the 2010s on his day but he didn't have enough of his days to be our player of the decade. I think his form since leaving us is rather colouring people's judgement on this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:35 - Jul 12 with 934 viewsPJH

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:30 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

I don't think Didz can be our player of the 2010s, and I loved Didz to bits. His first two seasons here he was great but thereafter injuries meant he was constantly playing catch up and he only ever showed glimpses of quality rather than sustained runs of games where he looked class. He made a similar number of appearances across 5 years here as Cresswell made in 3 years and I'd say Cresswell played at a better level more consistently over his appearances here than Didz. That said, I don't think either played enough to be our player of the decade. For me I lean towards Murphy as he scored a decent number of goals for us and played a lot of games for us in that decade. Honourable mention to Bart. Skuse and Chambers have been good servants but haven't consistently performed at a high enough level in comparison to the other contenders.

Basically, I possibly make Didz the best player we had in the 2010s on his day but he didn't have enough of his days to be our player of the decade. I think his form since leaving us is rather colouring people's judgement on this.

I think that Didz is the best player that has played for us in that time so on that basis he would be the player of the decade and but for the injuries there would be no doubt in my mind that he was the player of the decade.

Don't know who else I would give it too though.
ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:37 - Jul 12 with 934 viewstextbackup

He’s found a club that match his own ambitions - fair play to him and Sheffield United for proving that there are still teams out there with a plan and ambition.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:40 - Jul 12 with 927 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:35 - Jul 12 by PJH

I think that Didz is the best player that has played for us in that time so on that basis he would be the player of the decade and but for the injuries there would be no doubt in my mind that he was the player of the decade.

Don't know who else I would give it too though.

I'd say Mings and Cresswell were better. Both have gone on to play for England. But for me, like with Didz, they didn't play for us enough to be in the discussion.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:41 - Jul 12 with 928 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:37 - Jul 12 by textbackup

He’s found a club that match his own ambitions - fair play to him and Sheffield United for proving that there are still teams out there with a plan and ambition.

Sheffield United have done great. They rebuilt from the kind of position we are currently in, but I can't see how we will do the same with Evans at the club.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:44 - Jul 12 with 919 viewstextbackup

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:41 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

Sheffield United have done great. They rebuilt from the kind of position we are currently in, but I can't see how we will do the same with Evans at the club.

We won’t. It really is that simple, unfortunately

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:50 - Jul 12 with 905 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:44 - Jul 12 by textbackup

We won’t. It really is that simple, unfortunately

Depressing times. Quite glad I won't be going to PR anymore to be honest.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:56 - Jul 12 with 893 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:24 - Jul 12 by textbackup

Professional pride?
Winning for the fans that turn up weekly?

I mean them things might be high on the list of ‘why we want to win this game’

They all have those, and I think you can see the difference between how Mick would get the players playing against better sides with regards to those - but there is always more on a game if there is that bit of edge to it that needing the 3 points more gives you

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:01 - Jul 12 with 882 viewsITFC_Forever

Too high a proportion of Murphy’s goals were in the one season, so there’s flaws in the argument for him too.

It’s tough to come to a conclusive answer.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:11 - Jul 12 with 863 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:01 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

Too high a proportion of Murphy’s goals were in the one season, so there’s flaws in the argument for him too.

Murphy managed double figures in the league for us three seasons in a row. Didz only managed that feat once. Much as I loved Didz, post 2014/15 you could count the number of really good performances he put I for us on one hand, maybe just about sneaking on to a second hand. Too often he wasn't fully fit or trying to get up to speed or trying too hard and nothing was coming off for him. Only 76 games in those 3 years and only 15 goals, a number of which were penalties. For all his talent I don't see how he's in the argument for our player of the decade. If it's on who is the best player we've had two left backs in that time who have gone on to win England caps. If it's on who made the biggest contribution over a decent chunk of time then it can't be Didz either. I'm struggling to see what the argument is for him, other than looking back with rose tinted glasses. And I say that as someone who loved Didz.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:14 - Jul 12 with 856 viewsITFC_Forever

Ok, we’ve done the McG argument to death now..... what about the rest of the decades?

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:15 - Jul 12 with 852 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:14 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

Ok, we’ve done the McG argument to death now..... what about the rest of the decades?

Stockwell for the 90s. Basically played the entire decade and was quality.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:18 - Jul 12 with 843 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:01 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

I don’t think it is, even if you take out all of Murphy’s goals in that season he finishes the decade as 2nd top scorer just 5 behind McG.

Ignoring that season makes it inconclusive, including that one and it is obvious.

It’s inconclusive between Murphy -67 goals including 27 in one year, and Bart - 3 times player of the year

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:19 - Jul 12 with 841 viewsFtnfwest

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 07:41 - Jul 12 by textbackup

No one qualifies as a legend from this period but it’s Bart if you’re giving a player of the decade award to anyone. Kept a side that got outplayed most weeks up for a couple of years and competitive briefly when they were a bit stronger before that. It’s not interviewee of the decade after all.
ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:26 - Jul 12 with 819 viewsMullet

It depends on how you define it as if it's just the best the contenders are very different to say player who gave longer service and were important over several teams/seasons.

There's an argument for Wark in the 80's and 90's based on either criteria certainly his European goals must put him up there. Also the Beat had plenty of layoffs and Didsy type gaps which could be factored in.

Likewise Stockwell or Milton in the 90's made huge contributions in shoring up sides and starring in them.

Chambers is clearly the player of the 10's though if you take the second definition. There in the best of times, there in the darkest trying to hold it all together despite the terrible management. Murphy takes it on quality given he was utterly unplayable for one season and MM didn't just stumble on that but brought it out of him over time.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 9:51]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:29 - Jul 12 with 818 viewsitfcjoe

Beattie
Wark
Johnson
Magilton
Murphy

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:35 - Jul 12 with 802 viewsITFC_Forever

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:29 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

Beattie
Wark
Johnson
Magilton
Murphy

Actually, you make an extremely valid point about Johnson (assume you mean David, not Gavin), I’d somehow managed to completely forget him, yet he was arguably the catalyst for the Burley years being as successful as they were.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024