Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Players of the Decade.... 07:27 - Jul 12 with 1542 viewsITFC_Forever

Following on from a minor debate last night on one of the McG threads, who would you class as the players of the decade?

1970’s: Kevin Beattie. Frequently lauded as our best ever, and this was the decade he played in.

1980’s: Terry Butcher. Quite a lot to choose from to be honest and John Wark would be an equally acceptable winner. Both played for us for longer than most of the rest of the legendary early 80s sides, and were two of our most important players. Paul Cooper could be another contender too.
The likes of Muhren, Thijssen, Mariner, Mills, Burley, Osman etc all left before the other three.

1990’s: Richard Wright. Quite a tough one, and the decade can be split in to two halves, Before Burley and After Burley. Wright made his debut in the Prem when he was only 17 and was established as first choice within a year, and was virtually ever-present for the rest of the decade.
Others that could be chosen include Dozzell, Wark, Johnson and Holland. There were others that were very good servants to the club in this decade as well; Stockwell, Marshall, Milton, Mathie.

2000’s: Jim Magilton. Classy player who also had a spell as manager in the same decade. A hard decade to choose from, as by the middle of the 00’s, there became a high turnover of players as administration took hold, so the likes of Stewart, Bramble, Holland, Herman, Reuser etc didn’t actually play that many seasons with us. You could possibly make cases for Kuqi and Pablo, but I’m not getting in to that debate!

2010: David McGoldrick. More quality than most of the dross that played in that decade put together, we missed him so much when he was out it was embarrassing. Other contenders could be Berra, Bart and possibly Murphy.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 9:34]

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:44 - Jul 12 with 440 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:35 - Jul 12 by ITFC_Forever

Actually, you make an extremely valid point about Johnson (assume you mean David, not Gavin), I’d somehow managed to completely forget him, yet he was arguably the catalyst for the Burley years being as successful as they were.

He had 4 seasons scoring week in and week out for us, there were other big contributors like Scowy, but for me likes of Holland improved after the end of the decade with regards to that first season in PL.

Johnno never really got that chance and isn’t one whose career straddled two decades and so doesn’t lose out in that respect

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:50 - Jul 12 with 432 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:44 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

He had 4 seasons scoring week in and week out for us, there were other big contributors like Scowy, but for me likes of Holland improved after the end of the decade with regards to that first season in PL.

Johnno never really got that chance and isn’t one whose career straddled two decades and so doesn’t lose out in that respect

He joined us fairly late in 1997, so only played just over 2 years of that decade for us. He was excellent during that time, but not sure that's a big enough contribution to be player of the decade.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 10:05 - Jul 12 with 415 views66notout

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:40 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

I'd say Mings and Cresswell were better. Both have gone on to play for England. But for me, like with Didz, they didn't play for us enough to be in the discussion.

Mings? Most over-rated player of the decade, incredibly fortunate to be an England international and one of the main reasons for Villa’s current plight. Cresswell is a good shout though.
ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 10:07 - Jul 12 with 406 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 10:05 - Jul 12 by 66notout

Mings? Most over-rated player of the decade, incredibly fortunate to be an England international and one of the main reasons for Villa’s current plight. Cresswell is a good shout though.

That's a laughable shout.

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 18:14 - Jul 12 with 360 viewsGarv

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:11 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

Murphy managed double figures in the league for us three seasons in a row. Didz only managed that feat once. Much as I loved Didz, post 2014/15 you could count the number of really good performances he put I for us on one hand, maybe just about sneaking on to a second hand. Too often he wasn't fully fit or trying to get up to speed or trying too hard and nothing was coming off for him. Only 76 games in those 3 years and only 15 goals, a number of which were penalties. For all his talent I don't see how he's in the argument for our player of the decade. If it's on who is the best player we've had two left backs in that time who have gone on to win England caps. If it's on who made the biggest contribution over a decent chunk of time then it can't be Didz either. I'm struggling to see what the argument is for him, other than looking back with rose tinted glasses. And I say that as someone who loved Didz.

And the year before that Murphy was playing as a left midfielder.

Murphy is the clear answer for me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 18:33 - Jul 12 with 349 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 18:14 - Jul 12 by Garv

And the year before that Murphy was playing as a left midfielder.

Murphy is the clear answer for me.

Garv, we bloody agree on something!

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 18:51 - Jul 12 with 343 viewshoppy

Not giving him my vote, but just to make a mention for Fabian Wilnis, as he contributed over a fairly long stretch, which I think makes him worthy of at least a mention.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 22:52 - Jul 12 with 316 viewsGarv

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 09:19 - Jul 12 by Ftnfwest

No one qualifies as a legend from this period but it’s Bart if you’re giving a player of the decade award to anyone. Kept a side that got outplayed most weeks up for a couple of years and competitive briefly when they were a bit stronger before that. It’s not interviewee of the decade after all.

It's Murphy if anyone. Consistent whether he was on loan or after he became permanent. Six goals in 18 under Keane, 4 goals plus assists under Jewell playing left wing - he was basically our focal point from that side during the second half of 2011/12. Then seven goals, 13, 27, and finally 10 when he was clearly on the way down.

Pretty much a constant performer for the six seasons in total he spent with us. I'm still irked that he missed that header against Norwich in front of the North Stand, but I can't see past him for the 2010 award.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 23:29 - Jul 12 with 305 viewsbournemouthblue

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:40 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

I'd say Mings and Cresswell were better. Both have gone on to play for England. But for me, like with Didz, they didn't play for us enough to be in the discussion.

Not our player but Ryan Fraser is probably the best player we have had in the last decade

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 23:35 - Jul 12 with 303 viewsbournemouthblue

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 10:05 - Jul 12 by 66notout

People can overate him however much they like but that doesn't change the fact he was very good for us and very important to the way we played

We are still yet to properly replace him

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 08:47 - Jul 13 with 255 viewsHerbivore

ITFC Players of the Decade.... on 23:29 - Jul 12 by bournemouthblue

Not our player but Ryan Fraser is probably the best player we have had in the last decade

Quite possibly, but as you say he was never out player.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024