Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else got shares in Tesla? 15:54 - Jul 13 with 9886 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:09 - Jul 13 with 5233 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yeah, I have got one more share than Elon Musk, just to keep him on his toes.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:16 - Jul 13 with 5208 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:09 - Jul 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yeah, I have got one more share than Elon Musk, just to keep him on his toes.

[content removed at owner's request]

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:18 - Jul 13 with 5190 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:16 - Jul 13 by BryanPlug

Give or take.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:19 - Jul 13 with 5179 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:18 - Jul 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Give or take.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:23 - Jul 13 with 5169 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:19 - Jul 13 by BryanPlug

Yes, I thought about buying Ipswich, but I dont want to jeopardise my popularity on the forum. You cant put a price on some things.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:29 - Jul 13 with 5129 viewsBluefish

I work in the industry and I am a big fan of what Tesla have done but I would be looking st an exit strategy soon for shares. The cars are incredible but the big names will have caught up but next year and Tesla just can't get close to the finished product for the driver, the build quality and the driver comfort is miles off

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:38 - Jul 13 with 5109 viewsclive_baker

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:29 - Jul 13 by Bluefish

I work in the industry and I am a big fan of what Tesla have done but I would be looking st an exit strategy soon for shares. The cars are incredible but the big names will have caught up but next year and Tesla just can't get close to the finished product for the driver, the build quality and the driver comfort is miles off

I have some money in a fund that is in part made up with Tesla shares, so needless to say that's done very well and long may it continue. That said, I am inclined to agree with you with regards to their current valuation. Todays SP gives a market cap of c. $330bn which is 13x revenue, and a P/E ratio of 400x vs an industry average of about 25x. It's a bonkers valuation, especially given we're likely heading into a deep recession.

Another way of looking at it is it's valued at more than Toyota despite turning over <10%. Tesla has also never demonstrated an ability to make a profit.

I'm not saying there's no more upside for Tesla, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it pull back from these highs over coming months / years.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:49 - Jul 13 with 5075 viewsBryanPlug

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:54 - Jul 13 with 5051 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:38 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

I have some money in a fund that is in part made up with Tesla shares, so needless to say that's done very well and long may it continue. That said, I am inclined to agree with you with regards to their current valuation. Todays SP gives a market cap of c. $330bn which is 13x revenue, and a P/E ratio of 400x vs an industry average of about 25x. It's a bonkers valuation, especially given we're likely heading into a deep recession.

Another way of looking at it is it's valued at more than Toyota despite turning over <10%. Tesla has also never demonstrated an ability to make a profit.

I'm not saying there's no more upside for Tesla, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it pull back from these highs over coming months / years.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:02 - Jul 13 with 5026 viewsmidastouch

Wow, they are having a a hell of a year! I'd be tempted to cash some of those in after that sort of breakneck move. It's almost parabolic in nature.

The key line in the sand this year is where I've drawn a ring on the chart. Right there it hit the key 200 day moving average and it held the line (just) and it's been moving in the right direction ever since. They have had a spectacular run this month. Not sure what is driving it exactly (as I have not looked into it).

Things will always revert back to the mean in the end though. The price can't just keep on moving up and up at that sort of insane pace indefinitely. Brace yourself for a possible correction (perhaps in the not too distant future). Sooner or later the price will likely work its way back to the 50 day moving average (the black line). Shrewd traders always wait patiently for the pullbacks and trade in accord with the long-term trend.

Well done to any of you lucky enough to have some of those. :-)

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:12 - Jul 13 with 4991 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:02 - Jul 13 by midastouch

Wow, they are having a a hell of a year! I'd be tempted to cash some of those in after that sort of breakneck move. It's almost parabolic in nature.

The key line in the sand this year is where I've drawn a ring on the chart. Right there it hit the key 200 day moving average and it held the line (just) and it's been moving in the right direction ever since. They have had a spectacular run this month. Not sure what is driving it exactly (as I have not looked into it).

Things will always revert back to the mean in the end though. The price can't just keep on moving up and up at that sort of insane pace indefinitely. Brace yourself for a possible correction (perhaps in the not too distant future). Sooner or later the price will likely work its way back to the 50 day moving average (the black line). Shrewd traders always wait patiently for the pullbacks and trade in accord with the long-term trend.

Looking at that chart again from a technical trading analysis I can spot another key line in the sand. See where I have drawn the ring here:

Well that horizontal (black line) level acted as key resistance in the past, but once it broke it's since acted as support. Ever since it broke that level properly it's been on the up and up in a big way.

Key horizontal support and resistance levels can act as very important levels on the charts and play a massive part in sending price flying up or crashing down.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:42 - Jul 13 with 4930 viewsEwan_Oozami

It's the battery technology innit...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:44 - Jul 13 with 4930 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:50 - Jul 13 with 4917 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:44 - Jul 13 by BryanPlug

And didn't he light up a joint on Joe Rogan's podcast and that caused a sell-off as well at some point? He's certainly a colourful character!
This might be worth a listen:
https://blog.mywallst.com/stock-club-podcast-teslas-biggest-threat-elon-musk/
It came up as a link in the bottom right hand corner of my Tradingview chart.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:56 - Jul 13 with 4895 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:50 - Jul 13 by midastouch

And didn't he light up a joint on Joe Rogan's podcast and that caused a sell-off as well at some point? He's certainly a colourful character!

This is the one:
https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-smoking-joe-rogans-weed-somehow-ended-up-cost-1839

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:57 - Jul 13 with 4894 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:50 - Jul 13 by midastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:58 - Jul 13 with 4889 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:57 - Jul 13 by BryanPlug

He can't help himself lol!

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:02 - Jul 13 with 4877 viewshampstead_blue

I'm in Automotive as well.
Tesla are a client of ours.

One of their priorities is to move their popularity away from the early adopters and into the mainstream.

I don't have shares in them but do invest in technology funds so indirectly probably do.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:43 - Jul 13 with 4750 viewsmidastouch

Timber!

Price has currently dipped below $1540 which is a fair bit down from its high of around $1800 earlier today.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 22:34 - Jul 13 with 4584 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:43 - Jul 13 by midastouch

Timber!

Price has currently dipped below $1540 which is a fair bit down from its high of around $1800 earlier today.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 23:27 - Jul 13 with 4544 viewsCoastalblue

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 17:12 - Jul 13 by midastouch

Looking at that chart again from a technical trading analysis I can spot another key line in the sand. See where I have drawn the ring here:

Well that horizontal (black line) level acted as key resistance in the past, but once it broke it's since acted as support. Ever since it broke that level properly it's been on the up and up in a big way.

Key horizontal support and resistance levels can act as very important levels on the charts and play a massive part in sending price flying up or crashing down.

The analysis was interesting, and unexpected. Being a bit of a thickie I looked at the picture first and saw that you'd drawn a man sleeping on a sunbed, I spent a good couple of minutes trying to work out what this implied for the share price before moving on to your analysis part

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 23:42 - Jul 13 with 4524 viewsflimflam

One of the funds I am invested in has 7% Tesla, 8% Shopify, 8% Amazon, 5% Netflix and others obviously.

Its up 60% in 3 months. Other funds I am in are 20 - 40% up over 3 months.

For anyone who cares Billie Gifford American.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 23:45 - Jul 13 with 4517 viewsGodzilla

Me, just the girls though, should I be concerned?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 14:35 - Jul 14 with 4327 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 22:34 - Jul 13 by BryanPlug

I wouldn't sweat too much, they have still had a fantastic month (so far at least!) despite the pullback yesterday. Always best to look at the markets from a long-term perspective and not get too caught up in shorter time frame moves. I expect what happened yesterday is some people cashed out part of their positions (looking to lock in some nice gains) and this ultimately put some downward pressure on the price.

My advice is set targets on the chart (in Tradingview you can set it to send you email alerts when certain price levels have been reached) and then whenever the price reaches the next target you have in mind, then cash out a portion of your position so you are locking in some of the gains as you go along.

The only time I'd start to get worried is if the price drops below the 200 day moving average (the sloping yellow line). When price drops below the 200 day moving average, if it doesn't get back above it within a fairly reasonable time, then sentiment can shift from a bull to bear market and this can often lead to long-term pain! But if you've been cashing out upward moves bit by bit (during a nice bull run), then you are locking in nice guaranteed gains along the way well before market sentiment can turn against you. Most people don't do this though. Rather most tend to leave their entire position hanging in the market (hoping the price just keeps on rolling up and up indefinitely) and this means they can get badly burnt if the market suddenly hits a really nasty crash. Greed in the market is a dangerous thing!

What the most patient traders do is wait for pullbacks to the 100 day or 200 day moving average and then buy into the direction of the long-term trend. Here is such an example:

So it pulled back to the sloping 200 day moving average yellow line (the fact it's sloping upwards means the long-term trend is up rather than down).

And here is another example but this time on the 100 day moving average blue line (this time on a weekly chart of Halma):

That is as good an uptrend as I could possibly show.

Where I've drawn the two rings on the chart (on the Halma chart above) it shows two examples of where traders would have been looking to buy into the direction of the trend on a retrace to a key moving average.

The markets often move up in a staircase fashion or think of it as a zigzag type move.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 14:39]

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 15:00 - Jul 14 with 4298 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 14:35 - Jul 14 by midastouch

I wouldn't sweat too much, they have still had a fantastic month (so far at least!) despite the pullback yesterday. Always best to look at the markets from a long-term perspective and not get too caught up in shorter time frame moves. I expect what happened yesterday is some people cashed out part of their positions (looking to lock in some nice gains) and this ultimately put some downward pressure on the price.

My advice is set targets on the chart (in Tradingview you can set it to send you email alerts when certain price levels have been reached) and then whenever the price reaches the next target you have in mind, then cash out a portion of your position so you are locking in some of the gains as you go along.

The only time I'd start to get worried is if the price drops below the 200 day moving average (the sloping yellow line). When price drops below the 200 day moving average, if it doesn't get back above it within a fairly reasonable time, then sentiment can shift from a bull to bear market and this can often lead to long-term pain! But if you've been cashing out upward moves bit by bit (during a nice bull run), then you are locking in nice guaranteed gains along the way well before market sentiment can turn against you. Most people don't do this though. Rather most tend to leave their entire position hanging in the market (hoping the price just keeps on rolling up and up indefinitely) and this means they can get badly burnt if the market suddenly hits a really nasty crash. Greed in the market is a dangerous thing!

What the most patient traders do is wait for pullbacks to the 100 day or 200 day moving average and then buy into the direction of the long-term trend. Here is such an example:

So it pulled back to the sloping 200 day moving average yellow line (the fact it's sloping upwards means the long-term trend is up rather than down).

And here is another example but this time on the 100 day moving average blue line (this time on a weekly chart of Halma):

That is as good an uptrend as I could possibly show.

Where I've drawn the two rings on the chart (on the Halma chart above) it shows two examples of where traders would have been looking to buy into the direction of the trend on a retrace to a key moving average.

The markets often move up in a staircase fashion or think of it as a zigzag type move.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 14:39]

This is the point I'm making about the 200 day moving average. When market structure breaks below this key level (and doesn't get back above it in reasonable time) it can spell big long-term pain.

See here for example:

So the above chart broke below the key 200 day level back in 2008, and it's never managed to get back above it since. It's tried several times to get back above (see where I've drawn black rings) but each time that key level has firmly held the downtrend in place. So for those that didn't cash out back in 2008 or 2009 after the 200 day moving average level was seriously breached, it's been a long slow depressing retreat with some big losses.

Short traders would have been looking to go short each time the price came back to the 200 day moving average (at each place I've drawn a black ring) confident it wouldn't break the level and carry on its downward retreat.

So as long as you're not below there, no need to panic just yet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024