Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is Marcus persevering with PL? 10:30 - Jul 20 with 3426 viewsChocorange

If anyone needs a reminder of how strongly Ipswich fans felt about Lamberts ineptitude , take a look at Alex GRiffin’s video on you tube of the Portsmouth v ipswich game last season, watch the match highlights (such a season they are) , enjoy a team selection with Norris Nsiala Judge etc , and then go to 13mins onwards to be reminded of just how badly Lambert did... made me shudder.

So why is he still here?

At a time when when salary cap is seemingly coming this season or next which means the bigger teams will have no income advantage , we must get out of league 1, before the trapdoor closes and we are stuck here for ever. So why trust that important task to a manager with his record here over a season and a half? There’s not been any green shoots of progress or year on year progress... we are going backwards...too easy to blame Hurst when Lambert has been here 5 or 6 times as long.

His PR skills at getting the crowds back will not work any more. Evans will see crowds and income reduce hugely ( even without a Covid effect) , if more of the same the same is served up next season , and the season after does not bare thinking about.

So why ?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 10:53 - Jul 20 with 2849 viewsFacefacts

The problem is bigger than Paul Lambert. There is a leadership vacuum. I don't think Marcus could handle PL's outburst after the Boxing Day performance at Portman Road, and at that stage, said, look, sign the contract extension ffs, thinking 'I don't need the hassle of finding another manager right now.' Behind the scenes there was stuff going on that we didn't get to hear about. Fist pump having young players at his house meaning it's harder to rebuild the spine of the team, etc. A new manager, as Paul Hurst found out, has to keep Chambers as club captain. Don't get me wrong, I like Chambers, but he's been allowed to take root at the club almsot by osmosis and it affects the manager succession planning.

Not that I want MM back, but he was trusted to run the ship when Marcus wasn't around. I know Marcus said he would be around the place more, but in reality he is too busy to be 24/7 hands on, which you need to be, constantly 'online'. Like Darragh McAnthony on YouTube/Twitter, if the buck stops with you, you have to make use of every minute of every transfer window to get the best outcome possible for the team/squad.

I know he has a job, but I would prefer someone like Michael Appleton (Lincoln City) who always handles the press really well, is passionate but realistic, and shows a kind of humility at the circumstances he works within.
Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 10:58 - Jul 20 with 2828 viewsitfcjoe

He's obviously very good at managing upwards, not hard to understand why as is good at getting people onside.

He's had a long managerial career, so clearly knows what he is doing to some extent, but I fear it will be another wasted season with him here.

I just hope (and pray!) he settles down to something and sticks with it - go back to what we tried when he first came in of playing through the back, one up front, wide forwards pushing on in behind etc, just give us some identity and if that fails then so be it, we are failing with no identity currently

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 11:16 - Jul 20 with 2773 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 10:58 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

He's obviously very good at managing upwards, not hard to understand why as is good at getting people onside.

He's had a long managerial career, so clearly knows what he is doing to some extent, but I fear it will be another wasted season with him here.

I just hope (and pray!) he settles down to something and sticks with it - go back to what we tried when he first came in of playing through the back, one up front, wide forwards pushing on in behind etc, just give us some identity and if that fails then so be it, we are failing with no identity currently

Agree with a lot of that. He is experienced and is a good shield for ME. He also rejuvenated the mood around the place when he case in let's not forget. If anything, he may be a better option in the FD role with someone like Dyer given a chance to take the first team; the answer to improvement could well be staring us in the face. He may not want that of course, and it would throw up the question of what to do with O'Neil.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 11:16 - Jul 20 with 2774 viewsCokeIsKey

It's because Lambert's stuck with the 5-year deal that Evans foolishly gave him just as we were slipping into mid-table. I would assume that due to the huge financial loss of both the club and Evans' businesses from Covid, Lambert's massive deal is just not worth paying off.

Also wouldn't be surprised if there was a release clause in the contract that didn't get triggered due to the season ending early. All speculation but you'd think a clever businessman like Evans wouldn't just blindly hand out a deal with no clauses.

In terms of strategy, Lambert promised Evans a long term plan going forward involving playing the youth which meant that Evans wouldn't have to spend much money on new players for the next few seasons.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:09 - Jul 20 with 2687 viewsIllinoisblue

He hasn’t been a good manager for a decade. Get rid now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:23 - Jul 20 with 2646 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:09 - Jul 20 by Illinoisblue

He hasn’t been a good manager for a decade. Get rid now.

We aren't going to get rid now though, as much as I'd like to see it.

I think the job he did at Villa was fine, they had an owner just stopping funding and he was keeping them up - they soon went down after he left, Blackburn and Wolves fine but then Stoke a failure, but what has happened since shows that was a job with big problems.

That's not to say he's been a massive success anywhere since Norwich, but he's not been a massive failure either

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:46 - Jul 20 with 2602 viewsBlueBadger

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:23 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

We aren't going to get rid now though, as much as I'd like to see it.

I think the job he did at Villa was fine, they had an owner just stopping funding and he was keeping them up - they soon went down after he left, Blackburn and Wolves fine but then Stoke a failure, but what has happened since shows that was a job with big problems.

That's not to say he's been a massive success anywhere since Norwich, but he's not been a massive failure either

He got Stoke relegated..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:51 - Jul 20 with 2579 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:46 - Jul 20 by BlueBadger

He got Stoke relegated..

Which I said

Login to get fewer ads

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:55 - Jul 20 with 2567 viewsBlueBadger

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:51 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

Which I said

You did also say he hasn't been a massive failure. I'd class two relegations and achieving little else as a pretty big failure..
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 12:58]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:00 - Jul 20 with 2547 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:55 - Jul 20 by BlueBadger

You did also say he hasn't been a massive failure. I'd class two relegations and achieving little else as a pretty big failure..

He clearly hasn't been a massive failure in the last 10 years, if he had been he wouldn't be near a job still

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:07 - Jul 20 with 2528 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

This is the biggest issue, he needs to settle on something. We cannot go through another season of rotation, both personnel and formation.

You need a settle 11, and with rotation coming accordingly to injuries and slight fatigue, but not 6/7 changes every game, you can't build consistent or fluid performances like that.

He won't be going anywhere now, I'm not interested in rolling the dice again yet, but he needs to get it right this season.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:08 - Jul 20 with 2524 viewsBlueBadger

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:00 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

He clearly hasn't been a massive failure in the last 10 years, if he had been he wouldn't be near a job still

Roy Keane still gets offered jobs...

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:12 - Jul 20 with 2494 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:08 - Jul 20 by BlueBadger

Roy Keane still gets offered jobs...

The Azerbaijan national job? It's hardly front line

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:14 - Jul 20 with 2483 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:07 - Jul 20 by TheTrueBlue1878

This is the biggest issue, he needs to settle on something. We cannot go through another season of rotation, both personnel and formation.

You need a settle 11, and with rotation coming accordingly to injuries and slight fatigue, but not 6/7 changes every game, you can't build consistent or fluid performances like that.

He won't be going anywhere now, I'm not interested in rolling the dice again yet, but he needs to get it right this season.

Personnel shouldn't matter too much in my view, if all the players know what they are doing when they come in for games then it shouldn't hinder things.

But if you are Edwards and you are coming in at RB, RWB, LWB, one of the front 3, in a formation that is differing every week then you don't really have a chance. Even someone like Chambers played in every role across a central pairing and back 3 last season which is just mental

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:16 - Jul 20 with 2475 viewsCoco

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:12 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

The Azerbaijan national job? It's hardly front line

They wear blue.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:20 - Jul 20 with 2463 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:14 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

Personnel shouldn't matter too much in my view, if all the players know what they are doing when they come in for games then it shouldn't hinder things.

But if you are Edwards and you are coming in at RB, RWB, LWB, one of the front 3, in a formation that is differing every week then you don't really have a chance. Even someone like Chambers played in every role across a central pairing and back 3 last season which is just mental

No I think personnel must be interchangeable throughout the course of the season. But I meant you can't be changing 6/7 players every game and expected consistency, especially if you are changing shape as well.

Bilic indicates he has 15 first 11 players at WBA, and then a group fighting to get into that 15. I think that's about par for the course.

I mean Edwards is your prime example there. Dozzell could another example, seems to be selected into random team selections out of the blue, play back to back games and then isn't seen for another month, you think well he's really up against it there then in terms of finding form.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:39 - Jul 20 with 2417 viewsGarv

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 11:16 - Jul 20 by CokeIsKey

It's because Lambert's stuck with the 5-year deal that Evans foolishly gave him just as we were slipping into mid-table. I would assume that due to the huge financial loss of both the club and Evans' businesses from Covid, Lambert's massive deal is just not worth paying off.

Also wouldn't be surprised if there was a release clause in the contract that didn't get triggered due to the season ending early. All speculation but you'd think a clever businessman like Evans wouldn't just blindly hand out a deal with no clauses.

In terms of strategy, Lambert promised Evans a long term plan going forward involving playing the youth which meant that Evans wouldn't have to spend much money on new players for the next few seasons.

Presumably the supposed 'play off' clause that is often talked about would still be relevant because we haven't made it there, whether it was down to PPG or not.

I don't imagine the caveat of Covid-19 was included in the clause.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:51 - Jul 20 with 2389 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 11:16 - Jul 20 by CokeIsKey

'All speculation but you'd think a clever businessman like Evans wouldn't just blindly hand out a deal with no clauses'

So what? We heard the same thing last January after Lambert had been 'rewarded' with a new deal.

We have failed to make top 6. Where are those 'mysterious' clauses?
Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:17 - Jul 20 with 2340 viewsBLUEBEAT

marcus loves the yes men

Poll: W or W

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:19 - Jul 20 with 2333 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 13:51 - Jul 20 by Mach_foreignBlue

'All speculation but you'd think a clever businessman like Evans wouldn't just blindly hand out a deal with no clauses'

So what? We heard the same thing last January after Lambert had been 'rewarded' with a new deal.

We have failed to make top 6. Where are those 'mysterious' clauses?

They've obviously not been activated as Evans somehow thinks Lambert is the right man

We have to hope he is right

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:23 - Jul 20 with 2321 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:19 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

They've obviously not been activated as Evans somehow thinks Lambert is the right man

We have to hope he is right

Or...

They have not been activated as Evans isn't interested in paying Lambert off.
Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:24 - Jul 20 with 2317 viewsGarv

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:46 - Jul 20 by BlueBadger

He got Stoke relegated..

Mick McCarthy got Sunderland relegated..

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:26 - Jul 20 with 2300 viewsitfcjoe

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:23 - Jul 20 by Mach_foreignBlue

Or...

They have not been activated as Evans isn't interested in paying Lambert off.

Same difference

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 17:52 - Jul 20 with 2164 viewstextbackup

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 12:55 - Jul 20 by BlueBadger

I don’t think he’s great at all, but you’ve not mentioned the promotions he did achieve.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 17:54 - Jul 20 with 2163 viewstextbackup

Why is Marcus persevering with PL? on 14:24 - Jul 20 by Garv

Mick McCarthy got Sunderland relegated..

And wolves, well pretty much no way back when he left, if memory serves me correct

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024