Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trade Bill 22:57 - Jul 20 with 2505 viewstractordownsouth

So the Tories have voted against Parliament being able to scrutinise any future trade deals. This whole thing was never about our elected MPs taking back control was it?

Brexiters on here, I assume you're as annoyed as I am

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Trade Bill on 23:31 - Jul 20 with 2109 viewsMattinLondon

They can’t blame someone else for this so they’ll simply ignore it.
Trade Bill on 08:15 - Jul 21 with 2013 viewsMeadowlark

NHS put up for sale to the US. As predicted.
Trade Bill on 09:17 - Jul 21 with 1967 viewsSwansea_Blue

It was always about slashing regulation and not having to be accountable for the dodgy deals they wanted to do.

You won't get any Brexiteers now banging on about sovereignty, because they haven't been told to. There won't be a single mention on the front pages today of this move to circumvent much needed parliamentary scrutiny.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trade Bill on 09:26 - Jul 21 with 1953 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So blame people for voting Tory not Brexit!
Edit....by equating the two you play into their hands.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 9:27]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Trade Bill on 09:42 - Jul 21 with 1935 viewsmonytowbray

Project Fear, Had Enough Of The Experts, Etc.

So long as the foreigners are all thrown out a large chunk of those who voted for this won't care. Xenophobia being weaponised as per normal in human history.

We are far more primitive as a specie than we think we are. If we had any level of a collective brain we'd be coming together to stop the planet becoming uninhabitable for mainstream societies within the next century. But nah.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Trade Bill on 10:03 - Jul 21 with 1906 viewsClapham_Junction

Trade Bill on 09:26 - Jul 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Lexiteers were fully aware that leaving would almost certainly result in the Tories using it as an opportunity to push for more deregulation, privatisation etc. You own this just as much as Rees Mogg and co
Trade Bill on 10:29 - Jul 21 with 1871 viewstractordownsouth

I haven't blamed anyone for voting for anything - just pointing out that the main campaign slogan was nonsense.

Trade Bill on 12:15 - Jul 21 with 1818 viewstractordownsouth

I've written to my MP about the votes last night

Dear Mr Thomas

I was concerned when I read about your voting record when the Trade Bill was raised again in Parliament on Monday 20th July. According to the House of Commons website, you chose to vote for the following;

1) Against giving parliament the ability to scrutinise future trade deals
2) Against NHS contracts being excluded from future trade deals
3) Against maintaining food standards post-Brexit

On the first point, I am confused. As a prominent Brexit campaigner in Cornwall during the 2016 referendum, you will be aware that the core Vote Leave campaign message was for our Parliament to "Take Back Control" of our trading arrangements, among other matters. Although I understand the Conservative whip instructed you to vote against the amendment, why could you not support our elected representatives having the opportunity to scrutinise and debate our future trading relationships? At best, this seems like a careless decision and at worst it is deliberately deceptive - it appears you have hoodwinked those who put their trust in the leave campaign to deliver more control to their local representatives, by voting to grant more power to the executive, which is not directly accountable.

Secondly, I am aware that hyperbole was thrown around during the election regarding the potential sale of the NHS during the 2019 General Election, however the Tories were adamant that the NHS was safe in their hands. Whilst your vote doesn't mean we will embrace a private insurance system, it does lead to the potential for companies from the US and elsewhere to gain access to these contracts add more bureaucracy to the NHS system. Despite the theory of more private involvement driving efficiency, I am aware of NHS staff who have claimed that the reforms introduced by your party have actually made the service less efficient, despite the valiant efforts of healthcare workers. As well as this being an example of misleading those who put their trust in the Tories last year, it is a million miles away from the rhetoric about doing away with bureaucracy, which featured heavily in 2016.

I find the third vote, regarding food standards, the most concerning. Although I appreciate that cutting regulation was one of Vote Leave's promises, how does opening up our markets to low-quality produce help either Britain's farmers or the environment? This is particularly damaging in the likely case of a no deal Brexit (something which you appear comfortable with, as you voted against the transition), where our farmers will struggle to sell abroad, why should we flood our domestic markets with cheap (and potentially unhealthy) produce, which will undercut the prices our agricultural workers are able to offer? I understand that the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg have argued for consumers to be able to choose, but it will not be your parliamentary colleagues who are eating chlorinated chicken, it will be many of your constituents, who may not be able to afford the alternatives. I am also aware of Tory MPs arguing that we can actually increase our standards post- Brexit, in which case, why not enshrine this commitment into law?

If you are unable to articulate why you believe this course of action to be beneficial to agricultural workers, perhaps you could raise it with Environment Secretary and Neighbouring MP George Eustice? He was quoted on a 2016 Vote Leave leaflet, saying "If we have the courage to vote leave and take back control, we would be free to think again and could achieve so much more for farmers and our environment"

https://www.nfuonline.com/nfu-online/news/vote-leave-ge/

As the MP for St Ives, a largely rural constituency, you will be aware that agriculture is one of our biggest industries. Many of those workers backed Brexit and voted for you as their local representative. Your job as an MP is to represent your constituents, not to simply toe the party line. Perhaps I am unaware of the wider economic strategy the government is pursuing, but I really struggle to see how any of these votes you cast were either honest or beneficial to those who have put their trust in you, and I would appreciate an explanation.

King Regards,

TDS

Login to get fewer ads

Trade Bill on 12:28 - Jul 21 with 1786 viewsitfcjoe

Trade Bill on 12:15 - Jul 21 by tractordownsouth

Dear Mr Thomas

I was concerned when I read about your voting record when the Trade Bill was raised again in Parliament on Monday 20th July. According to the House of Commons website, you chose to vote for the following;

On the first point, I am confused. As a prominent Brexit campaigner in Cornwall during the 2016 referendum, you will be aware that the core Vote Leave campaign message was for our Parliament to "Take Back Control" of our trading arrangements, among other matters. Although I understand the Conservative whip instructed you to vote against the amendment, why could you not support our elected representatives having the opportunity to scrutinise and debate our future trading relationships? At best, this seems like a careless decision and at worst it is deliberately deceptive - it appears you have hoodwinked those who put their trust in the leave campaign to deliver more control to their local representatives, by voting to grant more power to the executive, which is not directly accountable.

Secondly, I am aware that hyperbole was thrown around during the election regarding the potential sale of the NHS during the 2019 General Election, however the Tories were adamant that the NHS was safe in their hands. Whilst your vote doesn't mean we will embrace a private insurance system, it does lead to the potential for companies from the US and elsewhere to gain access to these contracts add more bureaucracy to the NHS system. Despite the theory of more private involvement driving efficiency, I am aware of NHS staff who have claimed that the reforms introduced by your party have actually made the service less efficient, despite the valiant efforts of healthcare workers. As well as this being an example of misleading those who put their trust in the Tories last year, it is a million miles away from the rhetoric about doing away with bureaucracy, which featured heavily in 2016.

I find the third vote, regarding food standards, the most concerning. Although I appreciate that cutting regulation was one of Vote Leave's promises, how does opening up our markets to low-quality produce help either Britain's farmers or the environment? This is particularly damaging in the likely case of a no deal Brexit (something which you appear comfortable with, as you voted against the transition), where our farmers will struggle to sell abroad, why should we flood our domestic markets with cheap (and potentially unhealthy) produce, which will undercut the prices our agricultural workers are able to offer? I understand that the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg have argued for consumers to be able to choose, but it will not be your parliamentary colleagues who are eating chlorinated chicken, it will be many of your constituents, who may not be able to afford the alternatives. I am also aware of Tory MPs arguing that we can actually increase our standards post- Brexit, in which case, why not enshrine this commitment into law?

If you are unable to articulate why you believe this course of action to be beneficial to agricultural workers, perhaps you could raise it with Environment Secretary and Neighbouring MP George Eustice? He was quoted on a 2016 Vote Leave leaflet, saying "If we have the courage to vote leave and take back control, we would be free to think again and could achieve so much more for farmers and our environment"

As the MP for St Ives, a largely rural constituency, you will be aware that agriculture is one of our biggest industries. Many of those workers backed Brexit and voted for you as their local representative. Your job as an MP is to represent your constituents, not to simply toe the party line. Perhaps I am unaware of the wider economic strategy the government is pursuing, but I really struggle to see how any of these votes you cast were either honest or beneficial to those who have put their trust in you, and I would appreciate an explanation.

King Regards,

TDS

Excellently put, I might do similar to mine.

An NHS worker in a rural constituency:

speaker:Daniel Poulter : 5 votes
================================

Trade Bill - New clause 4 - Parliamentary approval of trade agreements (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-78-commons
Voted no (division #78; result was 259 aye, 320 no)

Trade Bill - New Clause 11 - Import of agricultural goods after IP completion day (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-79-commons
Voted no (division #79; result was 249 aye, 335 no)

Trade Bill - New Clause 17 - International trade agreements: health or care services (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-80-commons
Voted no (division #80; result was 248 aye, 336 no)

Trade Bill - Clause 2 - Implementation of international trade agreements (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-81-commons
Voted no (division #81; result was 240 aye, 342 no)

Trade Bill - Clause 8 - Disclosure of Information By HMRC (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-82-commons
Voted aye (division #82; result was 332 aye, 242 no)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Trade Bill on 13:44 - Jul 21 with 1722 viewssparks

Trade Bill on 12:28 - Jul 21 by itfcjoe

Excellently put, I might do similar to mine.

An NHS worker in a rural constituency:

speaker:Daniel Poulter : 5 votes
================================

Trade Bill - New clause 4 - Parliamentary approval of trade agreements (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-78-commons
Voted no (division #78; result was 259 aye, 320 no)

Trade Bill - New Clause 11 - Import of agricultural goods after IP completion day (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-79-commons
Voted no (division #79; result was 249 aye, 335 no)

Trade Bill - New Clause 17 - International trade agreements: health or care services (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-80-commons
Voted no (division #80; result was 248 aye, 336 no)

Trade Bill - Clause 2 - Implementation of international trade agreements (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-81-commons
Voted no (division #81; result was 240 aye, 342 no)

Trade Bill - Clause 8 - Disclosure of Information By HMRC (20 Jul 2020)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2020-07-20-82-commons
Voted aye (division #82; result was 332 aye, 242 no)

I am sure he has a special filing tray for such letters. Much easier than answering honestly.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Trade Bill on 14:04 - Jul 21 with 1678 viewsmonytowbray

Trade Bill on 12:15 - Jul 21 by tractordownsouth

Dear Mr Thomas

King Regards,

TDS

You'll get a generic "ok pleb" response I imagine.

TWTD never forgets…

Trade Bill on 14:04 - Jul 21 with 1678 viewsmidastouch

The EU is also in a gigantic hole according to Yanis Varoufakis:

"While the media are reporting the news of the deadlocked EU Summit negotiations over the so-called ‘Recovery Fund’, an eerie silence prevails regarding the Elephant in the Room: The huge wave of austerity the Eurozone is sleepwalking towards. Let’s look at the facts."
See this article for his full take on the subject:
https://www.yanisvaroufakis.eu/2020/07/18/while-eu-leaders-squabble-the-elephant

And his most recent Tweet:
What should Europe do? (As opposed to the comedy of errors coming out of Brussels, Frankfurt & Berlin) Here is DiEM25's videoed answer:

Not that we're sitting any prettier currently in the UK (trade deals or no trade deals)!
The world economy is headed for disaster and there's nowhere to hide.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Trade Bill on 18:47 - Jul 21 with 1526 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Trade Bill on 10:03 - Jul 21 by Clapham_Junction

Lexiteers were fully aware that leaving would almost certainly result in the Tories using it as an opportunity to push for more deregulation, privatisation etc. You own this just as much as Rees Mogg and co

Nope...that baby is in the hands of those that rejected a proper 'left' option at the ballot box and spent the previous 3 years or whatever it was equating supporting Brexit with being right wing rather than pushing for a left wing form of leaving. So that would essentially be the entitled middle classes.

Trade Bill on 18:53 - Jul 21 with 1517 viewsmonytowbray

Trade Bill on 14:04 - Jul 21 by midastouch

"While the media are reporting the news of the deadlocked EU Summit negotiations over the so-called ‘Recovery Fund’, an eerie silence prevails regarding the Elephant in the Room: The huge wave of austerity the Eurozone is sleepwalking towards. Let’s look at the facts."
https://www.yanisvaroufakis.eu/2020/07/18/while-eu-leaders-squabble-the-elephant

What should Europe do? (As opposed to the comedy of errors coming out of Brussels, Frankfurt & Berlin) Here is DiEM25's videoed answer:

Not that we're sitting any prettier currently in the UK (trade deals or no trade deals)!

Man, these bleak reminders really do mess with me. I’d managed to block it out for a week!

But we must live as the market dictates. The market is the only way. The market decides if we get to enjoy life or not.

TWTD never forgets…

Trade Bill on 18:53 - Jul 21 with 1517 viewsMattinLondon

Trade Bill on 18:47 - Jul 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Nope...that baby is in the hands of those that rejected a proper 'left' option at the ballot box and spent the previous 3 years or whatever it was equating supporting Brexit with being right wing rather than pushing for a left wing form of leaving. So that would essentially be the entitled middle classes.

It’s not my fault, honesty it’s not.
Trade Bill on 19:04 - Jul 21 with 1502 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

An interesting watch .... so, more Europe genuinely serving the interests of the citizens rather than the current QE model for banks and big business...good luck with that Yanis. He is right it is going to implode rather than that be allowed to happen.

Trade Bill on 19:05 - Jul 21 with 1498 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Trade Bill on 18:53 - Jul 21 by MattinLondon

It’s not my fault, honesty it’s not.

You'll be one of those business as usual remain voters then.

Edit...you must be so proud of how the welfare interests of cheap migrant eastern European workers in abbatoirs and the fields of Europe have been in the forefront of our European political elites concerns!
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 19:10]

Trade Bill on 19:07 - Jul 21 with 1492 viewsClapham_Junction

You're not stupid enough to believe or be certain that the Great British electorate would vote for a proper left leave option at a subsequent general election. You were knowingly voting for what was highly likely to end up being a deregulation free-for-all.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 19:09]
Trade Bill on 19:15 - Jul 21 with 1470 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Trade Bill on 19:07 - Jul 21 by Clapham_Junction

You're not stupid enough to believe or be certain that the Great British electorate would vote for a proper left leave option at a subsequent general election. You were knowingly voting for what was highly likely to end up being a deregulation free-for-all.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 19:09]

You think so....in a country that came within a gnats piss of a green/left/liberal alliance 2 elections ago....if the so called left intelligentsia had devoted a fraction of the energy arguing for such (i.e...a left leave option) as they did trying to rerun the referendum then who knows!!
But Jeremy Corbyn doesn't cut it with me!

Trade Bill on 19:20 - Jul 21 with 1455 viewsMattinLondon

Trade Bill on 19:05 - Jul 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

You'll be one of those business as usual remain voters then.

Edit...you must be so proud of how the welfare interests of cheap migrant eastern European workers in abbatoirs and the fields of Europe have been in the forefront of our European political elites concerns!
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 19:10]

Have they been on the forefront of British politicians?

You talk and good talk about workers rights and such like. But, your vote to leave the EU will help pull the UK further and further down. Well done you and your loud ethics.
Trade Bill on 19:24 - Jul 21 with 1450 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Trade Bill on 18:53 - Jul 21 by monytowbray

Man, these bleak reminders really do mess with me. I’d managed to block it out for a week!

But we must live as the market dictates. The market is the only way. The market decides if we get to enjoy life or not.

Contained in those bleak reminders us the evidence for why Europe is doomed...that it's leaders responded to the financial crisis in the manner they did should tell you all you need to know about staying in that particular club. The Euro was where it all started to go really wrong. Yanis seems to think it can be reformed....I think he is wrong...that supertanker ain't turning in a hurry!
[Post edited 21 Jul 2020 19:39]

Trade Bill on 21:06 - Jul 21 with 1372 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

...and their decision involved fudge and long grass!!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/21/eu-summit-deal-what-has-been-agree

Trade Bill on 21:10 - Jul 21 with 1361 viewstractordownsouth

Trade Bill on 19:15 - Jul 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

You think so....in a country that came within a gnats piss of a green/left/liberal alliance 2 elections ago....if the so called left intelligentsia had devoted a fraction of the energy arguing for such (i.e...a left leave option) as they did trying to rerun the referendum then who knows!!
But Jeremy Corbyn doesn't cut it with me!

The Brexit position clearly lost the party seats, but the idea that we'd have won with the same leader, same manifesto and AS accusations is for the birds.

Trade Bill on 21:30 - Jul 21 with 1337 viewsgiant_stow

Blaming people who voted remain for this brexit is bonkers, and especially coming from someone who voted leave!

You were warned this would happen.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Trade Bill on 22:41 - Jul 21 with 1291 viewsmidastouch

Trade Bill on 21:06 - Jul 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

...and their decision involved fudge and long grass!!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/21/eu-summit-deal-what-has-been-agree

I had the above the wrong way round. The top article came from his most recent tweet. The other one came from a pinned tweet dating back to earlier in the year.

Will have a look at that Guardian link now cheers.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024