Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bret Pitman keen on a return? 10:44 - Aug 3 with 10087 viewsSwailsey

Yes please.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:10 - Aug 3 with 1820 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:05 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

Can't be a real account can it? We shouldnhave picked this up before after the Mcgoldrick nonsense

I'd have thought a certified "football man" like yourself would understand how a work horse battering ram of a player like Frank could have some value in a squad and be useful to bring on in certain situations or against specific opposition.

Not too much value in weak full backs who aimlessly punt the ball into the channels and struggle to play 8 - 12 yard passes to another players feet.

As for the McGoldrick dig that you just will not let go, you I rated him as a very good player with beautiful technical ability, I just don't rate him as the messiah as a good proportion of our fan base does.

We spoke at length about it on a thread previously before you and texters came steaming in and I churlishly let you get under my skin on a bad day.
McGoaldrick by vapour_trail 11 Jul 2020 17:50
Great to see him finally a top flight goal scorer.

I appreciate you love a reaction but I ask you kindly, please stop purposefully misrepresenting me on this subject. It is most certainly triggering.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 14:13]
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:14 - Aug 3 with 1786 viewsEnigma_Blue

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 13:56 - Aug 3 by Libero

You might think I'm exaggerating but sincerely Jonas showed an incredible lack of footballing intelligence for a player that has played to the level he has achieved.

When I said "god awful footballer" I mean it in terms of technical ability, yes there's a bit of hyperbole in there, but you get me, I think he's crap. Ineffective. weak. poor. etc.

Conversely Frank Nouble is a player who despite having very poor technical ability I actually rate, his work rate, strength, athleticism and footballing intelligence is strong! He brings a value that not many players can bring, I'd welcome him back here as a bit part player with open arms, very useful battering ram to bring off the bench or play against full backs that really struggle against a physical challenge.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 14:03]

To be fair to Knudsen I actually think he would have made a better centre back, the few times he did play there he actually looked more comfortable than he did as a LB. if he had been given a run at being a centre back I think he could have become solid.

Nouble was a nuisance for defenders I will give you that but you can only really judge strikers by the amount of goals they score. Kuqi played in a very similar way to Nouble but he was a much better and far more effective striker than Nouble because he could actually score goals.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:15 - Aug 3 with 1783 viewsBluefish

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:10 - Aug 3 by Libero

I'd have thought a certified "football man" like yourself would understand how a work horse battering ram of a player like Frank could have some value in a squad and be useful to bring on in certain situations or against specific opposition.

Not too much value in weak full backs who aimlessly punt the ball into the channels and struggle to play 8 - 12 yard passes to another players feet.

As for the McGoldrick dig that you just will not let go, you I rated him as a very good player with beautiful technical ability, I just don't rate him as the messiah as a good proportion of our fan base does.

We spoke at length about it on a thread previously before you and texters came steaming in and I churlishly let you get under my skin on a bad day.
McGoaldrick by vapour_trail 11 Jul 2020 17:50
Great to see him finally a top flight goal scorer.

I appreciate you love a reaction but I ask you kindly, please stop purposefully misrepresenting me on this subject. It is most certainly triggering.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 14:13]

OK we will forget the mcgoldrick comments and just focus on the fact that you would rather have Frank Nouble at the club than Jonas Knudsen

Since leaving us let's compare their career histories

2015Coventry City19(3)
2015—2016Tianjin Songjiang15(3)
2016→ Nei Mongol Zhongyou (loan)0(0)
2016—2017Gillingham12(1)
2017Southend United5(0)
2017—2018Newport County45(9)
2018—2020Colchester United79(14)

Vs

Jonas playing top flight for Malmo and playing in the Europa League. We won't mention international caps
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 14:16]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:25 - Aug 3 with 1762 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 12:07 - Aug 3 by Garv

Surprising to learn he's keen, any ideas why? Liked the area? Not as if he was a fan favourite.

Why is it a surprise. He's out of contract, 32 years old and wants a knew club. Why wouldn't he be keen on us, he'll want the money.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:31 - Aug 3 with 1752 viewsGarv

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:25 - Aug 3 by TheTrueBlue1878

Why is it a surprise. He's out of contract, 32 years old and wants a knew club. Why wouldn't he be keen on us, he'll want the money.

I doubt he'll be short of offers, although you're right money-wise we would probably be the ones able to offer the most.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:33 - Aug 3 with 1748 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:15 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

OK we will forget the mcgoldrick comments and just focus on the fact that you would rather have Frank Nouble at the club than Jonas Knudsen

Since leaving us let's compare their career histories

2015Coventry City19(3)
2015—2016Tianjin Songjiang15(3)
2016→ Nei Mongol Zhongyou (loan)0(0)
2016—2017Gillingham12(1)
2017Southend United5(0)
2017—2018Newport County45(9)
2018—2020Colchester United79(14)

Vs

Jonas playing top flight for Malmo and playing in the Europa League. We won't mention international caps
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 14:16]

Sincerely appreciate that.

Aye, but again, as a "football man" you'll appreciate that sometimes bang average players manage to bag themselves careers that frankly it's a bit perplexing how they managed it.
Sometimes it's their agent playing a blinder, sometimes it's a case of right place/right time or that they have mates well positioned to help them out.
Occasionally there are players who make entire careers out of their "potential" even when well into their 20's.

I'm not suggesting that's the case with Jonas, he's a perfectly proficient player to be playing in the Swedish/Danish top division, he just didn't cut it in British football, his various deficiencies were highlighted by the Championship.
I suspect the highest level that he could achieve without having his weaknesses exposed would be playing in the Dutch top flight potentially?

I don't know why Frank's had so many clubs, if I was to speculate I'd assume it's because he was considered quite a prospect as a youngster but has never really nailed down a starting position anywhere due to the fact he is a limited player technically and an acquired taste.
It's also fair to say that when he's not at the races he is absolutely f*cking pony.
My comment on Nouble is that despite his limitations he would be a useful squad player for a League One club and that as a player I fancy him for specific situations/games/roles/etc.
There aren't many around like him these days, Luke Varney and Connor Salmon were Mick's other two battering ram options, Nouble probably isn't as technically proficient as either but he has a much greater footballing intelligence and mobility in my opinion.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:35 - Aug 3 with 1741 viewsBluefish

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:33 - Aug 3 by Libero

Aye, but again, as a "football man" you'll appreciate that sometimes bang average players manage to bag themselves careers that frankly it's a bit perplexing how they managed it.
Sometimes it's their agent playing a blinder, sometimes it's a case of right place/right time or that they have mates well positioned to help them out.
Occasionally there are players who make entire careers out of their "potential" even when well into their 20's.

I'm not suggesting that's the case with Jonas, he's a perfectly proficient player to be playing in the Swedish/Danish top division, he just didn't cut it in British football, his various deficiencies were highlighted by the Championship.
I suspect the highest level that he could achieve without having his weaknesses exposed would be playing in the Dutch top flight potentially?

I don't know why Frank's had so many clubs, if I was to speculate I'd assume it's because he was considered quite a prospect as a youngster but has never really nailed down a starting position anywhere due to the fact he is a limited player technically and an acquired taste.
It's also fair to say that when he's not at the races he is absolutely f*cking pony.
My comment on Nouble is that despite his limitations he would be a useful squad player for a League One club and that as a player I fancy him for specific situations/games/roles/etc.
There aren't many around like him these days, Luke Varney and Connor Salmon were Mick's other two battering ram options, Nouble probably isn't as technically proficient as either but he has a much greater footballing intelligence and mobility in my opinion.

someone who is not as technically proficient as Connor Sammon? Is that possible? Harsh on Varney to include him with those 2

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:35 - Aug 3 with 1742 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:14 - Aug 3 by Enigma_Blue

To be fair to Knudsen I actually think he would have made a better centre back, the few times he did play there he actually looked more comfortable than he did as a LB. if he had been given a run at being a centre back I think he could have become solid.

Nouble was a nuisance for defenders I will give you that but you can only really judge strikers by the amount of goals they score. Kuqi played in a very similar way to Nouble but he was a much better and far more effective striker than Nouble because he could actually score goals.

Yes, Jonas looked almost up to standard playing on the left of a back three, I think having protection either side of him was useful for him.
I remember a couple of games where he featured as centre back in a back four and it was nail biting stuff...

You're not wrong re: Nouble's goal scoring, huge downside, yet he's scored more professional goals than Will Keane, who we were happy to waste money on last season despite offering next to nothing.
Login to get fewer ads

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:35 - Aug 3 with 1741 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:31 - Aug 3 by Garv

I doubt he'll be short of offers, although you're right money-wise we would probably be the ones able to offer the most.

I don't think he'll be short of offers. But I Can't see him signing for one of the financially bigger clubs in League 1 (Sunderland/Portsmouth/Ipswich). I think he's just putting out the feeler to try and get another well paid contract, but I think he'll end up at someone like Burton for example.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:38 - Aug 3 with 1740 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:35 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

someone who is not as technically proficient as Connor Sammon? Is that possible? Harsh on Varney to include him with those 2

Shots fired :')
Yeah, I hear you on both accounts, I'm probably giving Salmon a bit too much credit and Varney not enough (although he was thick as mince) but hopefully you understand the point I'm illustrating.

"Different horses for different courses"
Not that it matters, there's little to no chance of Nouble coming back here.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:55 - Aug 3 with 1718 viewsHerbivore

Jonas was a perfectly capable Championship full back whose main flaw was that he wasn't as good as his two predecessors. Given that his two predecessors went on to have careers in the Prem and win England caps, Jonas was always going to struggle to fill their boots. He only cost us £350k or something.

Jonas was a solid enough defender, and whilst he was technically limited he had a good engine and got up and down well. He contributed a decent enough number of goals and assists over his time here for a full back. I really don't get why a few fans still give him pelters. He'd have improved us last season and he's gone on to do far better than us since we parted ways. Nobody is claiming he was the Danish Roberto Carlos, but he was a steady performer for us when we were a significantly better side than we are now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:00 - Aug 3 with 1707 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 14:55 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

Jonas was a perfectly capable Championship full back whose main flaw was that he wasn't as good as his two predecessors. Given that his two predecessors went on to have careers in the Prem and win England caps, Jonas was always going to struggle to fill their boots. He only cost us £350k or something.

Jonas was a solid enough defender, and whilst he was technically limited he had a good engine and got up and down well. He contributed a decent enough number of goals and assists over his time here for a full back. I really don't get why a few fans still give him pelters. He'd have improved us last season and he's gone on to do far better than us since we parted ways. Nobody is claiming he was the Danish Roberto Carlos, but he was a steady performer for us when we were a significantly better side than we are now.

Yeah, you've said before.
I'm glad he's gone, but I've been disappointed at our recruitment for a longggg time, probably ever since Jonas was signed tbh.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:02 - Aug 3 with 1697 viewsHerbivore

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:00 - Aug 3 by Libero

Yeah, you've said before.
I'm glad he's gone, but I've been disappointed at our recruitment for a longggg time, probably ever since Jonas was signed tbh.

Except for that wonderful moment when we snapped up Nouble on a free.

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:04 - Aug 3 with 1689 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:02 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

Except for that wonderful moment when we snapped up Nouble on a free.

Frank Nouble was signed in 2013, Jonas Knudsen in 2015.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:09 - Aug 3 with 1674 viewsHerbivore

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:04 - Aug 3 by Libero

Frank Nouble was signed in 2013, Jonas Knudsen in 2015.

I'd tried to erase the Nouble signing to be fair, so struggled to place it. Thanks for correcting me. I thought we did some good business after 2015 to be fair. Webster, Waghorn and Garner were all very good signings for the money.

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:17 - Aug 3 with 1632 viewsJakeITFC

The assessment that he didn’t cut it in English football isn’t right.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:43 - Aug 3 with 1610 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:17 - Aug 3 by JakeITFC

The assessment that he didn’t cut it in English football isn’t right.

If he really cracked it mate he wouldn’t be playing in Sweden right now.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:45 - Aug 3 with 1606 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 15:09 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

I'd tried to erase the Nouble signing to be fair, so struggled to place it. Thanks for correcting me. I thought we did some good business after 2015 to be fair. Webster, Waghorn and Garner were all very good signings for the money.

Very true, I was on,y saying the other day how impressive in retrospect Mick’s Garner/Waghorn rebuild was when compared with Royle’s Forster/Parkin rebuild.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:51 - Aug 3 with 1597 viewsPositivelyPortman

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:53 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

Err no thanks. We would need a target man, someone to hold the ball up for the players that we have coming through. This is definitely not Pitman. Just because he is big doesn't make him a target man or a hold up player.

He’s not even big actually.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:56 - Aug 3 with 1590 viewsHerbivore

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 16:45 - Aug 3 by Libero

Very true, I was on,y saying the other day how impressive in retrospect Mick’s Garner/Waghorn rebuild was when compared with Royle’s Forster/Parkin rebuild.

It really was. He had about a million to spend and brought in some good players. If only Huws and Adeyemi hadn't been crocked for all of that season we may have gone on to achieve something. We had a flying start and looked a really good side going forward for the first time in a while. Sadly it probably came a year too late, Mick had lost too many of the fans and they wanted him gone regardless by that point. Hard to argue that Mick did anything other than a great job when given a small amount of cash to spend. Sears for £100k was pretty ridiculous business as well.

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 17:32 - Aug 3 with 1567 viewsjudespiveyg

Sounds tempting, complete polar opposite of our other senior strikers. Sears, Norwood and Jackson are all hard workers but are all awful finishers. Pitman can finish and was always good off the bench. His playing style also lends itself to entertaining football.

On the other hand though I'd like to see Morris and Folami especially get more minutes this season so wouldn't lose any sleep if we didn't sign another striker.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 17:35]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 18:22 - Aug 3 with 1529 viewsreusersfreekicks

You want someone less proficient than Conor Salmon!!!!
Nouble is a very poor footballer
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 18:37 - Aug 3 with 1513 viewsShawsey

I would have him back. Could teach the kids a lot on the training ground. Sound footballer.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 18:44 - Aug 3 with 1501 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 18:22 - Aug 3 by reusersfreekicks

You want someone less proficient than Conor Salmon!!!!
Nouble is a very poor footballer

Yeah, thank Christ we had Will Keane to supplement our attack last season.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 18:46 - Aug 3 with 1499 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 18:37 - Aug 3 by Shawsey

I would have him back. Could teach the kids a lot on the training ground. Sound footballer.

I like Pitman as a player, but he’s not a great influence on the youngsters, he got one of the by the throat in the changing room after a disagreement once.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024