Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers 21:58 - Aug 5 with 4158 viewsWickwar_Blue

I’m sure the club have a scouting department although of late (and by late I mean over the past 20 years) I’m not sure how successful it’s been but here’s a tip. We need a left back. Forest Green skipper Joseph Mills has turned down a new contract and is now a free agent. At League 2 level he’s a cracking attacking full back.... he’d do a job for us.

I know because I watched him play 10 odd times last season.

I’m sure the Portman Road hierarchy check TWTD for such tips :-)
Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 22:22 - Aug 5 with 4048 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

One thing we can certainly agree on is our scouting system hasn’t been consistent enough.

Not the first poster to bring this individual up, and all seem to rate him so could be something in him.

I was mentioning on a different thread my preferred option would be Declan John, higher pedigree, 25 would have to be 12 month loan with contract expiring 2021.

However, in regards to Mills, he is a free agent, former captain of FGR? Would certainly be in our financial capabilities and possibly realities over someone like Declan John. My argument was his the fact he hasn’t had a great career and fast approaching 31, maybe you could shed some light?. If we are looking for a player for possibly 2 year before we bed in Tommy Smith for example he could be the right shout.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 22:24 - Aug 5 with 4025 viewsbournemouthblue

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 22:22 - Aug 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

One thing we can certainly agree on is our scouting system hasn’t been consistent enough.

Not the first poster to bring this individual up, and all seem to rate him so could be something in him.

I was mentioning on a different thread my preferred option would be Declan John, higher pedigree, 25 would have to be 12 month loan with contract expiring 2021.

However, in regards to Mills, he is a free agent, former captain of FGR? Would certainly be in our financial capabilities and possibly realities over someone like Declan John. My argument was his the fact he hasn’t had a great career and fast approaching 31, maybe you could shed some light?. If we are looking for a player for possibly 2 year before we bed in Tommy Smith for example he could be the right shout.

It worked for Wycombe with Jacobson?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 22:26 - Aug 5 with 4033 viewsPhilTWTD

They restructured the scouting system last season, hopefully that will pay dividends going forwards.

O'Neill: We've Restructured Our Recruitment 17th Dec 2019 16:10
Town general manager of football operations Lee O’Neill has revealed that the club refreshed its scouting set-up over the summer as part of wider restructuring, which also included redundancies following relegation from the Championship. 6

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 23:58 - Aug 5 with 3866 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 22:24 - Aug 5 by bournemouthblue

It worked for Wycombe with Jacobson?

What do you mean it worked for you Jacobson and Wycombe?

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 00:06 - Aug 6 with 3854 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 22:26 - Aug 5 by PhilTWTD

They restructured the scouting system last season, hopefully that will pay dividends going forwards.

O'Neill: We've Restructured Our Recruitment 17th Dec 2019 16:10
Town general manager of football operations Lee O’Neill has revealed that the club refreshed its scouting set-up over the summer as part of wider restructuring, which also included redundancies following relegation from the Championship. 6

Yeah, it’s an interesting read, he says a lot without saying a lot.
Doesn’t really outline any strategy in terms of the actual recruitment process other than people are looking in the UK and Europe.

I’m sure there is a plan there in place for long term dividends, and LO has been involved in developing an outstanding academy here along with Klug etc, so I do look and hope he can make similar strides with first team operations and in particular the recruitment aspect.

As I said, I’m sure there is a more thorough plan and process going on behind closed doors.

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 00:15 - Aug 6 with 3840 viewsBlueBadger

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 00:06 - Aug 6 by TheTrueBlue1878

Yeah, it’s an interesting read, he says a lot without saying a lot.
Doesn’t really outline any strategy in terms of the actual recruitment process other than people are looking in the UK and Europe.

I’m sure there is a plan there in place for long term dividends, and LO has been involved in developing an outstanding academy here along with Klug etc, so I do look and hope he can make similar strides with first team operations and in particular the recruitment aspect.

As I said, I’m sure there is a more thorough plan and process going on behind closed doors.

I'm sure this plan will have around five points to it...
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 0:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 01:28 - Aug 6 with 3787 viewsBLUEBEAT

The young Colchester LB would be a good option.

Impressed as much as KVY did during last years pre-season friendly. Seen him a few times since on TV and never stops running and very attack minded.

Poll: W or W

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 02:48 - Aug 6 with 3757 viewsbournemouthblue

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 23:58 - Aug 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

What do you mean it worked for you Jacobson and Wycombe?

He's about 34 but delivered all their set pieces and was a key part in their success last season

If someone is good enough for the timebeing, that's what we need

We're in League One, beggars can't be choosers

Declan John does sound a good option as well in fairness and is the right age

I'd agree, it would be great to sign a player at a better age who could be here a while but it isn't always as easy as that, especially in the strangr CoVid times

Marcus Evans works in hospitality so I can't imagine he has been doing brilliantly during the Pandemic?
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 2:55]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 06:34 - Aug 6 with 3662 viewsWickwar_Blue

Looks like he’s suffered with injuries throughout his career (another reason why he’d be a good fit at Portman Road!) but he had a couple of relatively uninterrupted seasons with FGR.

I just hope if we sign someone to play left back that it’s their natural position and not a left sided centre half that Lambert moves out there or winger.
Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 07:48 - Aug 6 with 3560 viewsportmanking

I did recommend this signing a week or two ago as a cheaper replacement to Garbutt.

I agree with you that he's got all the tools, experience and leadership to play an effective role at PR, at least for a couple of seasons.
Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 08:25 - Aug 6 with 3475 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 02:48 - Aug 6 by bournemouthblue

He's about 34 but delivered all their set pieces and was a key part in their success last season

If someone is good enough for the timebeing, that's what we need

We're in League One, beggars can't be choosers

Declan John does sound a good option as well in fairness and is the right age

I'd agree, it would be great to sign a player at a better age who could be here a while but it isn't always as easy as that, especially in the strangr CoVid times

Marcus Evans works in hospitality so I can't imagine he has been doing brilliantly during the Pandemic?
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 2:55]

Joe Jacobson is ok, he’s an excellent dead ball taker, probably the best in L1, but he’s not the best defender I’ve seen, similar to Garbutt in that respect.

We are where we are financially, and possibly someone like John is something we can’t financially do right now, some we probably should be looking for talent further down at the smaller clubs.

He could be a really good shout, especially with the long term plan of him being replaced by a Tommy Smith/Bailey Clements etc in a few years.

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 08:54 - Aug 6 with 3409 viewsArnieM

Daft as it sounds why don’t you ( OP), send a note to Lambert telling him of this player And the need to check him out . We can all do our but for the Club by bring the Clubs attention to players . Nothing wrong with that . I doubt they’d dismiss your suggestion without checking the player out. I’d definitely do it if I’d seen or knew if a player . 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 09:01 - Aug 6 with 3392 viewsTIB

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 06:34 - Aug 6 by Wickwar_Blue

Looks like he’s suffered with injuries throughout his career (another reason why he’d be a good fit at Portman Road!) but he had a couple of relatively uninterrupted seasons with FGR.

I just hope if we sign someone to play left back that it’s their natural position and not a left sided centre half that Lambert moves out there or winger.

Whereas, it looks like John has had a knee injury crop up a few times the last two seasons. A Rangers fan I know also said he was great at going forward but poor at defending...admittedly that was a few seasons back.

As for other left backs, Brad Smith has been released by Bournemouth and Jordan Obita from Reading.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 09:21 - Aug 6 with 3342 viewsWickwar_Blue

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 08:54 - Aug 6 by ArnieM

Daft as it sounds why don’t you ( OP), send a note to Lambert telling him of this player And the need to check him out . We can all do our but for the Club by bring the Clubs attention to players . Nothing wrong with that . I doubt they’d dismiss your suggestion without checking the player out. I’d definitely do it if I’d seen or knew if a player . 👍

Tweet sent! Maybe I’ll end up ITFC’s SW scout! :-)
Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 09:38 - Aug 6 with 3301 viewsArnieM

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 09:21 - Aug 6 by Wickwar_Blue

Tweet sent! Maybe I’ll end up ITFC’s SW scout! :-)

Attaboy 😁👍 ......a job in the pipeline for you I think.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 09:52 - Aug 6 with 3255 viewsitfcjoe

Full back wise our scouts haven't done a bad job - Cresswell, Mings, Knudsen on the left who have all gone onto become full internationals and JK playing in World Cup knockout rounds......and at RB managed to get Vincent-Young in

I'm not sos ure it is our scouting that has been ropey, generally under Mick we picked up good players from the base he liked to shop in.

Under Hurst it was poor players signed on the whole as he totally misjudged the quality required in the Championship and the step up

Under Lambert our permanent recruitment has been good again for me.

Take out that one mad window of Hurst and we've generally recruited well for a small budget team

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joseph Mills - Forest Green Rovers on 11:27 - Aug 6 with 3165 viewshoppy

Wouldn't be the first 'Mills' we've had that managed to do a job for us... one called Mick was pretty decent and played a few games for us as I recall.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024