Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... 11:06 - Aug 11 with 6594 viewsLibero

If you're the owner of a business that's participating in the "eat out to help out" scheme, what exactly is stopping you from putting through a bunch of fictional meal receipts, dropping the requisite amount of your own money into the till and claiming back the percentage due from the government?

Free money, no?

[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 11:06]
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 12:34 - Aug 11 with 2243 viewsGlasgowBlue

Corporation tax and VAT. You’d have to double your real takings to make it worth while. Let’s say you wanted to Nick £250 a day off the government. You’d have to put in an extra £500 a day on your takings to get that £250 of HMRC.

HMRC aren’t stupid. They know what your annual turnover is.

Now if you were a tiny back street greasy spoon taking a couple hundred quid a day, which keeps you under the VAT threshold, you could join the scheme, not bother opening your doors, sit on your arse and claim takings of £250 a day of HMRC. But again, what’s the point of risking jail just to get £500 a week of HMRC for a few weeks.

A decent legitimate business would be mad to try and fiddle this system.

Edit. Facters already addressed this.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 12:42]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 12:35 - Aug 11 with 2239 viewsbluelagos

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 12:27 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

I'm tempted to reply to them and offer to re-write their proposal in better English with correct spelling for a 10% cut of future scam earnings.

Ah, the 419.

The beautiful thing about those, is that most dont even get reported. The proposition is "help me money launder some stolen money, you can have 10% cut".

So most (not all) of those who fall for it are stupid, greedy and dishonest. So would you go to the police to report your attempt at money laundering failed and you got scammed? Most don't.

There are a 101 other ways of ripping businesses off, my favourite being the marketing guy who changed the advert in the paper to make his winning number win. (Numbers on a bottle cap)

What he never knew was the Brewery had about a million botttles with the same number and just 10 (winning ones) were different. So the advert meant a million people thought they had won top prize.

The local police had to calm the crowd who were trying to storm the brewery for their prizes.

Twtd.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:04 - Aug 11 with 2195 viewsbluelagos

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 12:30 - Aug 11 by Libero

Sounds really interesting, I'd love to do investigation/detective work like that, I assume you've got to have some kind of police or criminology background.

Either that or solve some kind of super secret off the books puzzle set up by a secret organisation. xoxo

Police background? Pmsl

Nah, I just studied accountancy (evening courses) at work and ended up in Nigeria. You kind of pick it up pretty quickly in an environment like that.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:08 - Aug 11 with 2190 viewsGaryCooper

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 11:22 - Aug 11 by Libero

Surely if you're using cash from your personal account(s) into your business account(s) that's irrelevant? You're essentially investing the cash into the business surreptitiously in order to dishonestly gain the benefit from the "eat out to help out" scheme.

It looks like a bit of an obvious loophole to me, I'm sure someone's exploiting it, somewhere.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 11:25]

The other scam is to delay putting the meals through the till until Monday-Wednesday.
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:09 - Aug 11 with 2183 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:08 - Aug 11 by GaryCooper

The other scam is to delay putting the meals through the till until Monday-Wednesday.

Yeah, BL just mentioned this also, I think that's a much more watertight move that I imagine plenty are doing.
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:10 - Aug 11 with 2177 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:04 - Aug 11 by bluelagos

Police background? Pmsl

Nah, I just studied accountancy (evening courses) at work and ended up in Nigeria. You kind of pick it up pretty quickly in an environment like that.

Blimey, I'll go buy a trench-coat and hat then.
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:41 - Aug 11 with 2141 viewsKeno

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 12:11 - Aug 11 by Libero

Great link that, fair play to that fella.

how about this guy then Playstation for £8

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/31/thief-got-ps4-8-self-service-checkout-scanning-fr
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 13:41]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:43 - Aug 11 with 2132 viewsKeno

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:10 - Aug 11 by Libero

Blimey, I'll go buy a trench-coat and hat then.

to the best of my knowledge BL wasn't a flasher

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:46 - Aug 11 with 2127 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:43 - Aug 11 by Keno

to the best of my knowledge BL wasn't a flasher

Go go gadet... actually... no...
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:47 - Aug 11 with 2123 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:41 - Aug 11 by Keno

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/31/thief-got-ps4-8-self-service-checkout-scanning-fr

I'd say that's somewhat less bright...
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:50 - Aug 11 with 2118 viewsitfcjoe

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:41 - Aug 11 by Keno

When I worked at Tesco there was a guy who got sacked for reducing the price of thjings and having his mate by them

He was incredulous, as his mate was buying them for the price stated and that it wasn't stealing.....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:52 - Aug 11 with 2113 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:50 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

When I worked at Tesco there was a guy who got sacked for reducing the price of thjings and having his mate by them

He was incredulous, as his mate was buying them for the price stated and that it wasn't stealing.....

Lad I know that used to work in Asda did a similar thing, he'd purposefully break CD's/DVD's/Game's cases so they would be significantly reduced, he'd then purchase them.
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:54 - Aug 11 with 2112 viewsitfcjoe

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:52 - Aug 11 by Libero

Lad I know that used to work in Asda did a similar thing, he'd purposefully break CD's/DVD's/Game's cases so they would be significantly reduced, he'd then purchase them.

This was things like reducing a big bag of kettle chips which had 3 months before they went out of date to 1p, and a can of coke to 10p. He was, quite obviously, thick as sh*t.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:58 - Aug 11 with 2106 viewsCoco

I know of at least three self employed trades people who have worked flat out during the pandemic but are gleefully claiming the government help. One has fitted his new kitchen from the proceeds and still moans how the gov have left him high and dry.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:04 - Aug 11 with 2091 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:58 - Aug 11 by Coco

I know of at least three self employed trades people who have worked flat out during the pandemic but are gleefully claiming the government help. One has fitted his new kitchen from the proceeds and still moans how the gov have left him high and dry.

Yep, this is very similar to some of the behaviour I've witnessed.
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:20 - Aug 11 with 2066 viewsfactual_blue

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 11:57 - Aug 11 by Libero

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:22 - Aug 11 with 2059 viewsfactual_blue

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 13:58 - Aug 11 by Coco

bloody benefit scroungers.

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:22 - Aug 11 with 2060 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:20 - Aug 11 by factual_blue

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:27 - Aug 11 with 2050 viewsfactual_blue

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:22 - Aug 11 by Libero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:47 - Aug 11 with 2032 viewsLibero

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 14:27 - Aug 11 by factual_blue

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 16:11 - Aug 11 with 1997 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 11:57 - Aug 11 by Libero

Bloody hell, looked like someone was going to punch me' in the face like!
Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 16:19 - Aug 11 with 1991 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Here's one for all you business owners/potential fraudsters... on 12:17 - Aug 11 by bluelagos

Far more likely is businesses will not ring through for meals paid for Thur to Sunday and then ring them through Mon to Wed.

The idea that Hmrc has the capacity to be checking is essentially nonsense. There will be a number of smaller businesses doing this and their chances of getting caught are very low.

However the consequences if caught will be quite high, plus most people are actually honest(ish).

I think the bigger issue will from people taking the loans and then liquidating. I heard of one bloke who is now in Spain with no intention of repaying the loan he took. Chances of him getting caugnt...well am not holding my breath.

Quick on the hoof policy will always lead to poor legislation. Tbf the govt had little choice but I do think there will be frauds both detected and more often, not.

Yes I thought that too. Also putting a higher number of heads through could be another option although clearly any transaction with 2 mains and say 5 heads would cause suspicion. Plus the £10 per head is actually a reasonable amount against the 50% max so only mid-end and above places that could actually do this (and are probably the type of places less likely to do so)

I’m sure there will be the odd instance with staff or close family/friends where that happens but not likely to be on a large scale

And as you say, the repercussions are serious so not like somewhere can actively advertise that sort of thing!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024