Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert 11:30 - Sep 27 with 1092 viewsnshearman1

There have been many on here who have heavily criticised Lambert - often quite rightly - but for now at least he seems to have tackled many of the mistakes he made last season. The rotation system has been abandoned for a settled team; the consistent 4-3-3-3 formation suits the players picked and gives a good balance; he's found a role for Dozzell and is getting the best out of him, as well as Bishop and Nolan. It will take longer than these few games to make a proper assessment but I think we should acknowledge what he has addressed. There are still issues in defence despite the record so far (is Nisiala really so great? Chambers is surely not our permanent RB and then what?) and most of our goals come from midfield rather than the central strikers, but we are genuinely playing some lovely football at times. There is a long-term management issue to be faced over Chambers (he's a fine leader but a very average player and there are better players now ahead of him), but we also have a squad of players with the right blend of age and youth who have the quality to get out of this division. I just wish he'd stop using the words 'brilliant' and 'incredible' to describe us in post-match interviews....we're not there yet by any means.
Lambert on 11:36 - Sep 27 with 1048 viewsBlueandTruesince82

No wonder we are winning with 13 players on the pitch

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Lambert on 11:43 - Sep 27 with 1029 viewsHerbivore

Chambers has been one of our better performers so far this season, I don't really get the desperation to phase him out at the first opportunity.

I'm pleased with our start but it's way too early to say that Lambert has definitely learnt from his mistakes. We started last season well largely keeping a settled side and then he started needlessly messing around with it, especially once we got some players back fit. Let's see how things look in a couple of months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert on 11:57 - Sep 27 with 991 viewsChrisd

He has certainly addressed a few issues from last season. It is still very much early days, but I do feel encouraged. I really want us to get a win against one of the favoured sides to instil some confidence especially with our inability to beat many of the top 8 last season, apart from Fleetwood away if memory serves me correctly. Lincoln and Doncaster look like they will provide that test in the next few weeks. Central defence still worries me greatly, although I must say Chambers is doing a grand job at RB in KVY's absence. Quick mention about Ward, he's proving to be a very astute signing by PL. Hopefully, we get our strikers scoring too, but I'm sure that will come, at least they are creating chances to miss. Great to see that our midfield is chipping in with goals as that hasn't happened for a considerable amount of the time at our club. On to the MK Dons, lets make it 4 wins out of 4 and build on this good start!!
[Post edited 27 Sep 2020 12:12]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Lambert on 12:10 - Sep 27 with 953 viewsnshearman1

Lambert on 11:43 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

Chambers has been one of our better performers so far this season, I don't really get the desperation to phase him out at the first opportunity.

I'm pleased with our start but it's way too early to say that Lambert has definitely learnt from his mistakes. We started last season well largely keeping a settled side and then he started needlessly messing around with it, especially once we got some players back fit. Let's see how things look in a couple of months.

Um...do read my post Herb, you niggling away again? No hint of desperation re Chambers, just pointing out a long-term management issue. And not suggesting at all Lambert's learnt from all his mistakes, note my last sentence, very similar to yours! Better go to Specsavers...
Lambert on 12:19 - Sep 27 with 917 viewsWacko

Lambert on 11:43 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

Every manager on the planet would pick KVY over Chambers. That's the OP's point

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Lambert on 12:20 - Sep 27 with 909 viewsHipsterectomy

This faster, playing out from the back on the counter seems to be working well (and is probably well suited to teams in this league which will be difficult to break down). However, we seem very vulnerable and panicky when we are being pressed.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Who's ahead of Chambers at centre back? (n/t) on 12:23 - Sep 27 with 894 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Lambert on 12:24 - Sep 27 with 892 viewsHerbivore

Lambert on 12:19 - Sep 27 by Wacko

He described Chambers as an average player with better players ahead of him. We all know Chambers isn't really a right back and of course KVY will come back into that role when fit but as things stand Chambers is still one of our best two CBs. Nsiala and Wilson have done okay, but Chambers is more reliable and better on the ball than both.

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert on 12:26 - Sep 27 with 878 viewsHerbivore

Lambert on 12:10 - Sep 27 by nshearman1

Um...do read my post Herb, you niggling away again? No hint of desperation re Chambers, just pointing out a long-term management issue. And not suggesting at all Lambert's learnt from all his mistakes, note my last sentence, very similar to yours! Better go to Specsavers...

You might want to reflect on which one of us is taking a needlessly confrontational tone here, Nick.

Lambert on 12:29 - Sep 27 with 864 viewsWacko

Lambert on 12:24 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

He described Chambers as an average player with better players ahead of him. We all know Chambers isn't really a right back and of course KVY will come back into that role when fit but as things stand Chambers is still one of our best two CBs. Nsiala and Wilson have done okay, but Chambers is more reliable and better on the ball than both.

True, he's better than the current two, but Woolf is better than him and McGuinness probably only needs a few games to surpass him too. Chambers' leadership qualities obviously comes into the reckoning, but I do think he's a few months away from being a back up. Matter of opinion of course

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Lambert on 12:33 - Sep 27 with 845 viewsHerbivore

Lambert on 12:29 - Sep 27 by Wacko

True, he's better than the current two, but Woolf is better than him and McGuinness probably only needs a few games to surpass him too. Chambers' leadership qualities obviously comes into the reckoning, but I do think he's a few months away from being a back up. Matter of opinion of course

Maybe. Let's be honest though, none of us know how good McGuiness is and how well he'll cope with the rigours of League 1 football. There's also a big question mark over playing a CB pairing with a combined age of 40, there needs to be a blend of youth and experience. For the most part last season the combination of Chambers and Woolfenden worked well.

Lambert on 12:59 - Sep 27 with 793 viewsPendejo

Work in progress - wait for end of term report in May

In the meantime COYB!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Lambert on 13:22 - Sep 27 with 741 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

I said I would judge him after 10 games, but so far 9/10.
Lambert on 13:26 - Sep 27 with 733 viewsMullet

Lambert on 12:19 - Sep 27 by Wacko

But they can't and when they do Chambers will go straight back to CB as he is our best player there too.

Anyone who has watched us this season and doesn't recognise how good/important Chambers has been is simply being biased/willfully ignorant of that.

People were slating Chambers as too old and then doing some sort of gymnastics with logic to suggest it was different for the older Ward on quality and consistency. Well we've seen it from both and still some people don't want to be even handed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024