Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arsenal 19:07 - Oct 22 with 1959 viewsWickets

Just made a pigs ear playing out from the back , is it worth the risk ??
Arsenal on 19:22 - Oct 22 with 1918 viewsHeadWestBlue

The truth is that if Klopp or Guadiola tell their keepers to lump the ball forward we will all be doing it within a short period of time.

Hurd mentality!
Arsenal on 19:30 - Oct 22 with 1893 viewswaveneyblue

Arsenal on 19:22 - Oct 22 by HeadWestBlue

The truth is that if Klopp or Guadiola tell their keepers to lump the ball forward we will all be doing it within a short period of time.

Hurd mentality!

Douglas ?
Arsenal on 19:49 - Oct 22 with 1858 viewsHeadWestBlue

Arsenal on 19:30 - Oct 22 by waveneyblue

Douglas ?

Cheers, Herd Mentality.
But even at the age of 90 after being in lock down Douglas may fancy a kick about.
Arsenal on 19:51 - Oct 22 with 1856 viewsNthQldITFC

Arsenal on 19:30 - Oct 22 by waveneyblue

Douglas ?

Johnathan?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Arsenal on 19:57 - Oct 22 with 1842 viewsScuzzer

No its not.
The whole thing is b*ll*cks.
Does not gain anything apart from increasing possession stats. And we all know possession does not win games.

Established 1968

Arsenal on 20:00 - Oct 22 with 1830 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Goalkeepers should just do that, keep goal. Lump it forward every time keeper.
Arsenal on 20:25 - Oct 22 with 1802 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably yes. Everything’s analysed to death, so if a team has the players capable of hitting certain success rates of playing out, it’ll be preferable to a long clearance with a higher chance of losing possession. After all, you can’t score if you haven’t got the ball. Mistakes playing out are relatively rare.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Arsenal on 08:54 - Oct 23 with 1671 viewsWickets

Arsenal on 20:25 - Oct 22 by Swansea_Blue

Probably yes. Everything’s analysed to death, so if a team has the players capable of hitting certain success rates of playing out, it’ll be preferable to a long clearance with a higher chance of losing possession. After all, you can’t score if you haven’t got the ball. Mistakes playing out are relatively rare.

I think it works if you have the players to do it and not be paranoid about it mix it up and make sure their is enough midfield movement . So i suppose the next question should be have we at Ipswich got those players who can make it a success ?
Login to get fewer ads

Arsenal on 09:08 - Oct 23 with 1657 viewsMonkeyAlan

Arsenal on 19:57 - Oct 22 by Scuzzer

No its not.
Does not gain anything apart from increasing possession stats. And we all know possession does not win games.

Agreed. This playing out from the back is just trendy now because Liverpool do it and Man C do it, doesnt mean the rest of the clubs have to follow. Our players arnt good enough to do it. Play to your strength, not what is the trend.
Arsenal on 09:22 - Oct 23 with 1649 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Arsenal on 09:08 - Oct 23 by MonkeyAlan

Agreed. This playing out from the back is just trendy now because Liverpool do it and Man C do it, doesnt mean the rest of the clubs have to follow. Our players arnt good enough to do it. Play to your strength, not what is the trend.

Yeah, what do the best clubs in the country know about how to play football anyway?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Arsenal on 09:29 - Oct 23 with 1639 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

On a serious note - yes it is if you have good enough players to do it. Goals conceded from this type of approach will always stand out and the benefits, especially as the benefits are less tangible. However keeping possession at the very top level does allow you to dictate the game, tire the opposition and ultimately prevent them scoring if you’re keeping the ball from them

However if you haven’t got the talent to do it it’s pretty worthless - there’s not much point risking it at the back if you’re not good enough to move it further up the field too and asking a League One CB to play intricate passes is just asking for trouble

As an aside, one thing I’ve noticed in the PL since football has resumed in empty stadiums is the number of goals conceded in these circumstances seems to have increased massively. Not sure if that’s a training ground type feel to matches with defenders getting sloppy or more teams trying to play this way - but it’s certainly not working in some cases!

Arsenal on 09:29 - Oct 23 with 1639 viewsclive_baker

And to be fair, Arsenal look better now than they have been for a while. Liverpool have been better for the past 2 years than they have been for a long time. Man City have had enormous success since Pep went in there and set them playing this way. Mistakes will happen, but you have to mitigate that risk by having the right players who are comfortable in the system. I don't think Town the side we've seen this season is all that comfortable on the ball at the back. Speaking of Pep, the first thing he did was drop Joe Hart as he saw the need for a footballing goalkeeper. It's all very well having a way of playing but you need to have the players to execute it. We're smoking crack if we think Holy, Wilson, Toto and Kenlock will be popping around anyone half decent at this level.

I think also all fixtures aren't born equal. There's nothing wrong with having options and alternative approaches. At home to Gillingham, why not? If we're at Peterborough or Hull then perhaps we can take a more pragmatic approach. It doesn't have to be a 1 size fits all.

I hope Lambert takes the opportunity to make changes for tomorrow and get towards a first XI. He's been right to stick with a winning team despite it not, on paper, appearing to be the preferred one.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Arsenal on 09:44 - Oct 23 with 1617 viewsSouperJim

Arsenal on 08:54 - Oct 23 by Wickets

I think it works if you have the players to do it and not be paranoid about it mix it up and make sure their is enough midfield movement . So i suppose the next question should be have we at Ipswich got those players who can make it a success ?

I think we have got the players to do it, the issue is they're not the ones on the pitch at the moment.

It does also pose the question is it wise to almost exclusively adopt this approach when a considerable chunk of the squad is ill equipped to do it successfully?

I'd much rather see the players capable of keeping the ball do so and those who aren't, stick to what they do best. As you say, mix it up.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Arsenal on 10:01 - Oct 23 with 1609 viewsSamWhiteUK

Arsenal on 19:57 - Oct 22 by Scuzzer

No its not.

Opens up space. Pulls the oppo forwards and therefore the midfield forward. If the other team know you're going to lump it long, they can all get in their own half
Arsenal on 13:16 - Oct 23 with 1561 viewsMonkeyAlan

Arsenal on 09:22 - Oct 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah, what do the best clubs in the country know about how to play football anyway?

I said they play it because they have the players to do it. We clearly don't after watching us completely fcku it up against Doncaster. I didn't say they hadn't a clue. I was saying we don't have a clue how to play that system.
Arsenal on 13:18 - Oct 23 with 1551 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Arsenal on 13:16 - Oct 23 by MonkeyAlan

I said they play it because they have the players to do it. We clearly don't after watching us completely fcku it up against Doncaster. I didn't say they hadn't a clue. I was saying we don't have a clue how to play that system.

I’ll hold my hands up here and admit that response was intended for the poster you replied to, not yours

Arsenal on 13:45 - Oct 23 with 1531 viewsHullblue

Arsenal on 13:16 - Oct 23 by MonkeyAlan

But we've won 5 out of 7 games this season. Granted it went wrong on Tuesday, but why are people so quick to forget where playing out from the back has got us so far?

I think it's because it's obvious when it goes wrong, whereas the benefits of playing out from the back are more subtle and felt over the course of the game.

Love your avatar btw.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Arsenal on 13:48 - Oct 23 with 1524 viewsSwansea_Blue

Arsenal on 08:54 - Oct 23 by Wickets

In an ideal world (for me) yes we should. And a coaching team with that mentality and approach. We nearly had it when Brendan Rodgers was about to join as Keane's assistant (although I'm not sure how that clash of styles would have played out).

Approaches work though. I was quite happy with Burley's slightly more direct approach - it was still strongly based around good movement and passing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Arsenal on 17:02 - Oct 23 with 1469 viewsMonkeyAlan

Arsenal on 13:18 - Oct 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’ll hold my hands up here and admit that response was intended for the poster you replied to, not yours

Fair enough
Arsenal on 17:04 - Oct 23 with 1468 viewsMonkeyAlan

Arsenal on 13:45 - Oct 23 by Hullblue

But we've won 5 out of 7 games this season. Granted it went wrong on Tuesday, but why are people so quick to forget where playing out from the back has got us so far?

I think it's because it's obvious when it goes wrong, whereas the benefits of playing out from the back are more subtle and felt over the course of the game.

Love your avatar btw.

Yes, when we have played weaker teams. The moment we play a half decent team our keeper and defence look like they are juggling a hot potato. I dont personally think we have the right personal to play this system.
Arsenal on 17:18 - Oct 23 with 1458 viewsWickets

Arsenal on 09:44 - Oct 23 by SouperJim

I think we have got the players to do it, the issue is they're not the ones on the pitch at the moment.

It does also pose the question is it wise to almost exclusively adopt this approach when a considerable chunk of the squad is ill equipped to do it successfully?

I'd much rather see the players capable of keeping the ball do so and those who aren't, stick to what they do best. As you say, mix it up.

Yes thats my take on it in a nutshell .
Arsenal on 17:19 - Oct 23 with 1456 viewsWickets

Arsenal on 10:01 - Oct 23 by SamWhiteUK

Opens up space. Pulls the oppo forwards and therefore the midfield forward. If the other team know you're going to lump it long, they can all get in their own half

So get your best players on the pitch and mix it up ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024