Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm confused, someone help. 11:29 - Oct 26 with 1836 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If Lambert has always wanted to play the way he is now, as he said in interviews at the start of the season, then why did we take Norwood who now doesn't seem to fit the formation?

And why was Jackson, who also doesn't seem to fit the formation, not sold in the summer?

Is anyone else waiting for Lambert to revert back to two up front?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I'm confused, someone help. on 11:33 - Oct 26 with 1792 viewsBluefish

It is best not trying to make sense of PRP, he is an utterly clueless fraud

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I'm confused, someone help. on 11:36 - Oct 26 with 1791 viewsVaughan8

I would also ask, why are you playing out from the back with the current personnel who cannot do it.....?

If we can't get other players in, surely we have to change to suit the players? Playing out from the back is fine, but as soon as we are pressured, we should be getting it away. I know, old school, but it might still work.....
I'm confused, someone help. on 11:36 - Oct 26 with 1786 viewsjayessess

Norwood played in this formation at Tranmere and supposedly met our need for an out-and-out goalscorer, plus he was available. Alas, he hasn't delivered on expectations.

No one offered us significant money for Jackson and by the time the window ended we were short on strikers. We likely wouldn't have been able to invest much of the money anyway. He also hasn't been fit enough to start a game in our new style of play, so Jury is still out on whether he'll fit it well or not.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:07 - Oct 26 with 1757 viewsPJH

I think that when Jackson is fit and available we would make far more use of our better players by playing two up front, doubt if it will happen though.
I'm confused, someone help. on 12:15 - Oct 26 with 1745 viewsitfcjoe

Norwood played on his own up top for Tranmere, so should be fine in this formation

Jackson presumably is a Plan B who we didn't get a good enough offer for and maybe more of a club decision to keep him?

But, we built the squad for this formation with our transfers in summer 2019 and then never played it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:19 - Oct 26 with 1716 viewsSparky85

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:15 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

Norwood played on his own up top for Tranmere, so should be fine in this formation

Jackson presumably is a Plan B who we didn't get a good enough offer for and maybe more of a club decision to keep him?

But, we built the squad for this formation with our transfers in summer 2019 and then never played it

Is it just me that thinks Jackson would do ok in our current 4-3-3?

Yes, I know he isn't going to hold the ball up and win the headers like Hawkins, but I look at the recent games and thought with the passers we have in the team, Jackson could really benefit from through balls and balls over the top.

We had so much possession and a lot of nice passing Saturday, but no end product or killer through passes, which I suspect Hawkins never shows for as that isn't his game.
I'm confused, someone help. on 12:27 - Oct 26 with 1692 viewsBluefish

How did their wide forwards compare to ours? Were they tucked in? Did they hold the ball up well or have pace? Were they direct?

Did they often spend time crossing to an empty box?

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:35 - Oct 26 with 1681 viewsjayessess

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:19 - Oct 26 by Sparky85

Is it just me that thinks Jackson would do ok in our current 4-3-3?

Yes, I know he isn't going to hold the ball up and win the headers like Hawkins, but I look at the recent games and thought with the passers we have in the team, Jackson could really benefit from through balls and balls over the top.

We had so much possession and a lot of nice passing Saturday, but no end product or killer through passes, which I suspect Hawkins never shows for as that isn't his game.

Not the only one. A lot of talk about his lack of hold-up play, but aren't we supposed to be playing out from the back, passing through the lines, getting midfielders into the box now? If we're regularly dependent on Hawkins holding the ball up under pressure with little support then we're going to struggle anyway.

Login to get fewer ads

I'm confused, someone help. on 13:33 - Oct 26 with 1582 viewsitfcjoe

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:27 - Oct 26 by Bluefish

How did their wide forwards compare to ours? Were they tucked in? Did they hold the ball up well or have pace? Were they direct?

Did they often spend time crossing to an empty box?

I think the biggest difference was a genuine number 10 to occupy the central space allowing Norwood to run the channels

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'm confused, someone help. on 13:36 - Oct 26 with 1573 viewsBluefish

I'm confused, someone help. on 13:33 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

I think the biggest difference was a genuine number 10 to occupy the central space allowing Norwood to run the channels

That is my issue with with Norwood in our system, he likes to roam in the same way that Will Keane and David McGoldrick did. You can't really build a team to accommodate a roaming forward with a roaming Judge, a wide spectator in Edwards and a Dozzell wanting to play deep in the hole.

You have to build teams to work, since PH we have been throwing players together to often that like to do their own thing

I'm confused, someone help. on 14:08 - Oct 26 with 1532 viewsVaughan8

Tranmere built their team around Norwood hence he scored loads of goals.

Watching games with my dad, sometimes it seemed like no-one else was allowed to shoot but Norwood haha

In all seriousness, I agree with you, Norwood should be able to play the 1 up front role.
I'm confused, someone help. on 14:35 - Oct 26 with 1476 viewsKeaneish

I'm confused, someone help. on 12:07 - Oct 26 by PJH

I think that when Jackson is fit and available we would make far more use of our better players by playing two up front, doubt if it will happen though.

Norwood and Jackson had a good partnership last season despite tinkering and injuries. 17 goals (ish) and at least half as many assists. I think people have lost sight of that given Norwood’s fitness and off field issue.

I’d set up the system to get our most attacking threat out there. A system with Edwards, Jackson, Norwood and Bishop is achievable.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I'm confused, someone help. on 18:52 - Oct 26 with 1322 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Because he is a clueless manager.
I'm confused, someone help. on 19:05 - Oct 26 with 1294 viewseddiespearitt03

Over the previous 10+ years we have seen various ideas come and go. Sadly though, every team is under mined by 1,2, and possibly 3 or 4 players who are basically far from being good enough. Marcus Evans owns this failure every season and the manager has to get by. A manager prepared to take all the flak. Nothing has changed. Players grabbing a wage and every season no sign of real progress of any consistency. Lets see what the next 15 games produce and where we are in League One.
I'm confused, someone help. on 19:30 - Oct 26 with 1261 viewsYallop

I really don't get why we can't play two up top. Hawkins alongside Sears would get us more opportunities than we've had in the last couple of games.
I'm confused, someone help. on 20:01 - Oct 26 with 1221 viewsjayessess

I'm confused, someone help. on 19:30 - Oct 26 by Yallop

I really don't get why we can't play two up top. Hawkins alongside Sears would get us more opportunities than we've had in the last couple of games.

Because every other team in the division would just pick 3 midfielders, easily take control of the game by sitting on whichever luckless pair we choose, forcing us to knock the ball long to a front pairing whose respective goalscoring records are pitiful?

I'm confused, someone help. on 20:06 - Oct 26 with 1210 viewsYallop

I'm confused, someone help. on 20:01 - Oct 26 by jayessess

Because every other team in the division would just pick 3 midfielders, easily take control of the game by sitting on whichever luckless pair we choose, forcing us to knock the ball long to a front pairing whose respective goalscoring records are pitiful?

Football is not that black and white. I don't believe you can't win matches playing two up front anymore.
I'm confused, someone help. on 20:22 - Oct 26 with 1186 viewsjayessess

I'm confused, someone help. on 20:06 - Oct 26 by Yallop

Football is not that black and white. I don't believe you can't win matches playing two up front anymore.

Some teams can win matches with 2 up front. Teams consisting of Oli Hawkins and Freddie Sears in front of any 2 midfielders from Dozzell, Bishop and Huws, do not.

Last season, all four of the top divisions in England were won by teams playing 3 in midfield and 1 up front.

I'm confused, someone help. on 20:32 - Oct 26 with 1172 viewsYallop

I'm confused, someone help. on 20:22 - Oct 26 by jayessess

Some teams can win matches with 2 up front. Teams consisting of Oli Hawkins and Freddie Sears in front of any 2 midfielders from Dozzell, Bishop and Huws, do not.

Last season, all four of the top divisions in England were won by teams playing 3 in midfield and 1 up front.

Oh well let's carry on as we have been for the last two away games and create nothing.
I'm confused, someone help. on 20:36 - Oct 26 with 1159 viewsPJH

I'm confused, someone help. on 20:32 - Oct 26 by Yallop

Oh well let's carry on as we have been for the last two away games and create nothing.

Got good possession stats though.
I'm confused, someone help. on 20:40 - Oct 26 with 1151 viewsRocky

I'm confused, someone help. on 11:36 - Oct 26 by Vaughan8

I would also ask, why are you playing out from the back with the current personnel who cannot do it.....?

If we can't get other players in, surely we have to change to suit the players? Playing out from the back is fine, but as soon as we are pressured, we should be getting it away. I know, old school, but it might still work.....

Holy's effortless kicking, with hardly any backlift, would be best served by kicking the ball directly out of touch for a defensive throw-in to the opposition within about five yards from their own goal line. Defending throw-ins near their own own goal lines isn't that easy.
Certainly far better than faffing about in our own half for about 15 passes.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 20:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024