Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst ever Town manager 10:17 - Nov 30 with 3450 viewsHerbivore

Thought it might be interesting to revisit this topic. Back in the day it used to be, for most of us, a straight fight between Keane and Jewell, but then Hurst came along and rendered that debate somewhat pointless by being demonstrably terrible. That said, after 2 years of Lambert it's hard to not consider him a genuine challenger for this crown. Some nice words and deeds in his first 6 months in charge aside, he's proved to be an absolute car crash in every way.

So who edges it for you? It's a tough one. Hurst was clearly a catastrophe but he was only in the job a very short time and his record in the Championship was no worse than Lambert's was. Lambert's statute as a contender has been cemented by him being allowed to damage the club over a much longer period. He's overseen relegation, a midtable League 1 finish, and just over a quarter of a season of further midtable League 1 performances. That's a lengthy record of being terrible. Hurst at least was gone after 4 months and arguably we couldn't be in any worse a state now had we persevered with him. I probably still just about lean towards Hurst because he achieved so much damage in such a short space of time, but it's a tight race now and I never thought that would be possible given how poor Hurst was.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Worst ever Town manager on 13:26 - Nov 30 with 436 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Everyone saying it's not Hurst has recency bias i think. Lambert is not great but you cannot overstate the damage Hurst did to us in such a short time. Basically rip up the fabric of a squad, alienate everyone, leave us relegated in October and without any chance whatsoever.

Lambert suffers from just being a bad manager at this point, but he did great work in putting the pieces back together initially - but he has been found out as a manager at this point.

Hurst is our worst ever, followed closely by Keane for me.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Worst ever Town manager on 13:34 - Nov 30 with 425 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Worst ever Town manager on 13:26 - Nov 30 by JammyDodgerrr

Everyone saying it's not Hurst has recency bias i think. Lambert is not great but you cannot overstate the damage Hurst did to us in such a short time. Basically rip up the fabric of a squad, alienate everyone, leave us relegated in October and without any chance whatsoever.

Lambert suffers from just being a bad manager at this point, but he did great work in putting the pieces back together initially - but he has been found out as a manager at this point.

I agree with the recency bias point, but I think you've got a bit yourself not saying Keane. If Hurst had the millions Keane had to spend he wouldn't have been bothering with those lower league signings in the first place.

All a much of a muchness though. When you take a step back we really have signed a crock of sh!t when it comes to managers under Evans.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Worst ever Town manager on 13:40 - Nov 30 with 418 viewsvapour_trail

Keane
Hurst
Lambert
Jewell

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Worst ever Town manager on 13:42 - Nov 30 with 415 viewsHerbivore

Think it's important to state that any pieces he put back together has never really translated to anything on the pitch. PPG wise he was as bad as Hurst in the Championship, since then things haven't really improved either in terms of performances. I have him second behind Hurst but he's rapidly closing the gap.

Worst ever Town manager on 13:43 - Nov 30 with 406 viewshaynes_toe1

I think Lambert is the most inept manager i've ever seen in charge of Ipswich.

He's one of the rare managers who came into a championship club and couldn't even deliver a new-manager bounce for a few games.

Hurst was awful, make no mistake about it but I think had we kept with him we'd have lost the senior players and had a weaker side, but one which then listened to him and there's every possibility at that point he could have made us competitive in this division (he'd done it very recently for Shrews of course).

I say Lambert over Hurst because it was clear Lambert was no good almost immediately so had to cling onto the fan-love PR rubbish which too many bought into. The cringe of that sending off which our fans lapped up at those lot down the road - despite losing 3-0 and not laying a glove on them - was one of my lowest points where I felt so, so disconnected from our fanbase.

Overall, Lamberts had the opportunity to rectify and not vaguely been able to do so. Hurst was never afforded that opportunity (rightly so). Lambert edges it.
Worst ever Town manager on 13:50 - Nov 30 with 393 viewsjayessess

We weren't anywhere near relegated in October, we'd played 12 games and were 4 points from safety.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Worst ever Town manager on 14:53 - Nov 30 with 370 viewsBlueBadger

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert by BlueBadger 29 Nov 2020 10:50
From worst to least-worst:

1) Keane -

Laid the foundation for all that was to follow. Dismantled a number of club structures, tore apart team morale, wasted untold millions.
The after-effects of his reign are still being felt in Marcus Evans' apparent reluctance to invest in anything ITFC-wise.

2) Lambert - he could have quite easily been at the bottom of the list had he actually achieved one of his targets. As it is, thanks to his efforts we're staring down the barrel of being condemned to the lower leagues for a long, long time, unable to to compete thanks to the salary cap, should we actually somehow achieve promotion despite his efforts. Time wil only tell if he overtakes Keane.

3) Hurst - Could have easily swapped places with Lambert were it not for the short space of time his tenure lasted. Whilst he did a LOT of damage in a short space of time, that could have been mitigated had his successor either somehow kept us up(unlikely but not impossible) or achieved a swift promotion back to the Championship.

4) Jewell - he was crap, but that's about it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Worst ever Town manager on 08:23 - Dec 1 with 315 viewsdavblue

Worst ever Town manager on 13:34 - Nov 30 by The_Flashing_Smile

I agree with the recency bias point, but I think you've got a bit yourself not saying Keane. If Hurst had the millions Keane had to spend he wouldn't have been bothering with those lower league signings in the first place.

All a much of a muchness though. When you take a step back we really have signed a crock of sh!t when it comes to managers under Evans.

Hurst spent about 5 million quid.
Login to get fewer ads

Worst ever Town manager on 08:30 - Dec 1 with 305 viewsBeckets

Worst ever Town manager on 14:53 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert by BlueBadger 29 Nov 2020 10:50
From worst to least-worst:

1) Keane -

Laid the foundation for all that was to follow. Dismantled a number of club structures, tore apart team morale, wasted untold millions.
The after-effects of his reign are still being felt in Marcus Evans' apparent reluctance to invest in anything ITFC-wise.

2) Lambert - he could have quite easily been at the bottom of the list had he actually achieved one of his targets. As it is, thanks to his efforts we're staring down the barrel of being condemned to the lower leagues for a long, long time, unable to to compete thanks to the salary cap, should we actually somehow achieve promotion despite his efforts. Time wil only tell if he overtakes Keane.

3) Hurst - Could have easily swapped places with Lambert were it not for the short space of time his tenure lasted. Whilst he did a LOT of damage in a short space of time, that could have been mitigated had his successor either somehow kept us up(unlikely but not impossible) or achieved a swift promotion back to the Championship.

4) Jewell - he was crap, but that's about it.

Lambert is woeful and has had more games to demonstrate his ineptitude than the others. The majority of which are in a lower Division so he gets my vote for the worst ever and I go back to early SBR.
Worst ever Town manager on 08:39 - Dec 1 with 298 viewsKeaneish

The front contenders have to be those with the worst win percentage, surely. That would be Lambert, Hurst, Lyall, Forsyth or Milburn (excluding caretaker managers). Lyall is obviously exempt for his noteable success so it’s squarely between the other four. Only then can Jewell, Keane and surprisingly, McCarthy be thrown into the ring.

Noteable isn’t it that the large swathe of this is under the ME era.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Worst ever Town manager on 08:44 - Dec 1 with 287 viewsPJH

Worst ever Town manager on 08:39 - Dec 1 by Keaneish

The front contenders have to be those with the worst win percentage, surely. That would be Lambert, Hurst, Lyall, Forsyth or Milburn (excluding caretaker managers). Lyall is obviously exempt for his noteable success so it’s squarely between the other four. Only then can Jewell, Keane and surprisingly, McCarthy be thrown into the ring.

Forsyth was only caretaker manager.
Worst ever Town manager on 08:52 - Dec 1 with 279 viewsKeaneish

Worst ever Town manager on 08:44 - Dec 1 by PJH

Forsyth was only caretaker manager.

Oh yeah. Mis-read it. Thought it said 25 games not 25 days!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Worst ever Town manager on 08:57 - Dec 1 with 273 viewsHerbivore

Worst ever Town manager on 08:39 - Dec 1 by Keaneish

Context is important though when considering win percentage. Lyall took us into the Prem and his win percentage will reflect that a chunk of his games were in charge of Town as a top flight side. By contrast, most of Lambert's reign here has been in the third tier where we should rightly expect to be winning a higher proportion of our games. Keane and Jewell were managing Town as a well funded tier two side that was expected to be challenging for promotion, the same hasn't been true for other managers. Win percentage alone doesn't tell the full story.

Worst ever Town manager on 09:12 - Dec 1 with 262 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Worst ever Town manager on 08:23 - Dec 1 by davblue

Hurst spent about 5 million quid.

Yeah but he raised most of it himself by selling players.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Worst ever Town manager on 09:13 - Dec 1 with 261 viewsSwailsey

It cannot possibly be anyone other than Lambert.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Worst ever Town manager on 09:45 - Dec 1 with 245 viewswoiii

I do think Lamberts a very average manager, but I don't think anyone could have kept the team he inherited in the Championship. Also, most of his signings have done well and we're lucky to have players like Ward and KVY. He also seems to be able to get performances out of the young players.

Hurst (obvs), Jewell and Keane all worse than Lambert in my opinion.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2020 9:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024