Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New car needed 12:41 - Jan 7 with 4290 viewshype313

Torn between going Hybrid (due to limiting charge ports) and full electric (in the hope that more and more will be added)

Anyone else made the leap to full electric, and thoughts?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New car needed on 14:38 - Jan 7 with 792 viewsWeekender

I have a full electric Peugeot 2008. I’ve done easily 150 miles between charges with plenty left in the tank. This was a mixture of motorway and town driving. I know others who have teslas and Audis and their range is much more. once you start looking there is actually quite a few chargers around.

A big thing for me is the benefit in kind tax on full electric has been cut to 0%.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

New car needed on 14:44 - Jan 7 with 780 viewsMetal_Hacker

New car needed on 13:01 - Jan 7 by hype313

Looks a real possibility, obviously the cost for full electric is still quite steep, so I might have to opt for something in between.

One of the guys I work with (company car) has a Toyota self charging etc Rav 4

Not for me but he swears by it

Poll: If it were one or the other

New car needed on 14:55 - Jan 7 with 764 viewsemergencylime

New car needed on 13:04 - Jan 7 by IpswichKnight

This is interesting as we are probably going to go for Hybrid in a few months. We’re not quite confident enough around the range of electric vehicles ( Surrey to Ipswich and back seems to be just on the limit of most electric cars at the moment) and the supply of charge points. I’m pretty certain our car after this will be fully electric though as the points that are stopping us now will have been cleared in another 2-5 years!

That massive new EV Services at Braintree could be a good food/bladder break option there.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

New car needed on 15:39 - Jan 7 with 750 viewsKievthegreat

Been full electric 2 years and not looking to go back. I drive a Renault Zoe and before Covid my daily commute was 35 miles each way. The car has an advertised range of 186 miles and while I never get that, I'd normally get 120-150 depending on weather. If you're curious, the Renault website has a calculator where you can put your speed, whether you have heating or AC and the ambient temp to give a guide. Usually this was academic for me as we had 2 cars and I never did long trips, but because of car trouble, plus the fact the long trips are few and far between i have done some longer journeys.

If i drove from Leicester to Ipswich, I'd charge at Cambridge Services both times and stop for a long coffee or that delicious burrito place (45minutes) and that would do me. If possible I'd charge at destination too which while usually a much slower charge, you're there longer.

However when I picked my car, I picked the more powerful motor that had no quick charge at the time. I was looking at upgrading my car as my terms are up in October and the latest top spec would be the same price I'm paying now, but more powerful motor, 30% bigger battery and faster charging, so you could do the journey outlined and 2 very quick stops or just 1 longer.

For my daily commute (when I had one), I'd leave it plugged in overnight, it would turn it's heater on and warm (or cool) the car to the correct temperature using the mains. Then unplug, 50 minutes up the M1, 50 minutes back, and then plug it back in and press a button to say 'same time again tomorrow'. Used about £3 of electricity for the whole thing. For a diesel to match fuel costs it would need to do 120+ MPG.

Also when I got my car, renault paid for and installed my charger for me. You currently get a £500 grant from the government, but installation is typically a bit more. However Renault just suck it up and Chargemaster came and installed my charger a week before my car arrived and were very quick. Hassle free.
New car needed on 16:11 - Jan 7 with 732 viewsSouperJim

New car needed on 13:03 - Jan 7 by Basuco

I haven't gone electric myself but a mate's neighbour had an electric car on demo for a few days and found quite a few charging points not working, my neighbour has had an electric car for a year or two and said never again, not being able to rely on finding a charge point the main reason. That is with an affordable small EV. If your budget stretches to a Tesla, my boss has one and has looked at getting out of the lease agreement and get rid of it as soon as possible. He gets around 250 miles per charge in real time motoring for around £30 of electric. But to top up you do need a Tesla fast charger. I know these are not first hand reports but are from reliable reasonable people and not pure petrol heads.

I think electric cars are just a stop gap until hydrogen cars are developed and more hydrogen pumps are available, as battery technology does not appear to be making any progress at all, I am not sure if the battery charge drops off as the car gets older.

250 miles for £30 worth of electric??? That's worse fuel economy than my 13 year old CR-V!

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

New car needed on 16:23 - Jan 7 with 716 viewsbluefunk

New car needed on 13:44 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

I just don't understand why. Charge at home and pick one with a 200 mile plus range

Its really quite simple, the hybrid showed me that the quoted 30 miles was actually around 22 miles in summer and 18 miles in winter, ie at the worst around 60% of the quoted figure. Translate that to a full EV and the 220 miles range becomes a realistic 135 miles, which isnt really enough for a days driving without what I believe is called "range anxiety".
New car needed on 16:23 - Jan 7 with 716 viewsDurovigutum

I looked in depth last year.

Self charging? Adds five or ten miles to a gallon, but you go about 500 metres before you're done.

Plug in hybrid? Great for 30 or so miles, but when on battery you're hauling an engine and gearbox and fuel tank around, then when on dead dinosaur juice a battery and electric motor.

Pure EV? Range anxiety and the infrastructure gaps. And almost no EV can tow.

I almost went with a Kia E-Niro but didn't as the delivery lead time was a year (!) at the time, so instead bought a petrol Volvo XC40 with the view of keeping it six years - at which point EVs, or more importantly the charging infrastructure, will be "ready".
New car needed on 16:26 - Jan 7 with 712 viewsPendejo

Heard this advert on radio whilst making a delivery earlier

30,000 free home charge miles

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/cars/new-corsa/offers-finance/electric/personal-contr

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

New car needed on 16:52 - Jan 7 with 695 viewsBluefish

New car needed on 16:11 - Jan 7 by SouperJim

250 miles for £30 worth of electric??? That's worse fuel economy than my 13 year old CR-V!

And it is false

Electic is closer to 3p per mile

Look at the afr rates for more details. Electric rate is 4p but petrol and diesel are 8 - 17p

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New car needed on 17:50 - Jan 7 with 676 viewsBasuco

New car needed on 16:52 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

And it is false

Electic is closer to 3p per mile

Look at the afr rates for more details. Electric rate is 4p but petrol and diesel are 8 - 17p

Only repeating what I have been told by my boss who has had his Tesla for just over two years, this is his real driving time experience not salesman speak. It may not be super accurately true, his comment was something like Tesla quote 350 mile range I get nearer 250.
New car needed on 17:57 - Jan 7 with 666 viewsBluefish

New car needed on 17:50 - Jan 7 by Basuco

Only repeating what I have been told by my boss who has had his Tesla for just over two years, this is his real driving time experience not salesman speak. It may not be super accurately true, his comment was something like Tesla quote 350 mile range I get nearer 250.

There is no doubt the range has a fair bit of tolerance but this is no different to mpg being horrically wrong under nedc. It is miles better with wltp but you still have multiple readings to take into account the variables

Would be interesting to know where the numbers came fron and whether he had a sub meter

If he was paying for public charging his numbers might be closer but only an idiot would do that. Similar to only an idiot would get diesel from the motorway services

New car needed on 18:04 - Jan 7 with 667 viewsronnyd

My neighbour has a Nissan Leaf. It seems to have a good range but he found that some service areas charging facilities were a bit on the shabby side. Unless you have a Tesla of course. That made his family holiday drive er.. interesting.
New car needed on 20:17 - Jan 7 with 629 viewsBasuco

New car needed on 17:57 - Jan 7 by Bluefish

There is no doubt the range has a fair bit of tolerance but this is no different to mpg being horrically wrong under nedc. It is miles better with wltp but you still have multiple readings to take into account the variables

Would be interesting to know where the numbers came fron and whether he had a sub meter

If he was paying for public charging his numbers might be closer but only an idiot would do that. Similar to only an idiot would get diesel from the motorway services

He has a Tesla fast charging point at work and home, his commute is around 125 miles each way and only uses public charging points as a last resort. I get the impression he is not a particular economical driver.
New car needed on 22:44 - Jan 8 with 545 viewsMeadowlark

New car needed on 13:00 - Jan 7 by Reuser_is_God

Why not go self charging hybrid?

I have a self-charging hybrid. (Toyota) Its a nice car, but I now tend to think it's a little bit of a con. Sure in slow town traffic you're on electric, but the power has mostly initially been derived from the petrol engine.
I know this is a simplistic argument, but nevertheless..
Perhaps I should have thought it through....
The plug-in hybrids seem to have very limited electric range, so full electric or stick with ICE if you cannot charge overnight.
New car needed on 22:47 - Jan 8 with 538 viewsBluefish

New car needed on 22:44 - Jan 8 by Meadowlark

I have a self-charging hybrid. (Toyota) Its a nice car, but I now tend to think it's a little bit of a con. Sure in slow town traffic you're on electric, but the power has mostly initially been derived from the petrol engine.
I know this is a simplistic argument, but nevertheless..
Perhaps I should have thought it through....
The plug-in hybrids seem to have very limited electric range, so full electric or stick with ICE if you cannot charge overnight.

The big clue is what happened to them under the switch from nedc to wltp. The con was exposed

The phev con continues in the corporate world

The solution is a bev

New car needed on 23:17 - Jan 8 with 512 viewsMeadowlark

New car needed on 22:47 - Jan 8 by Bluefish

The big clue is what happened to them under the switch from nedc to wltp. The con was exposed

The phev con continues in the corporate world

The solution is a bev

I had to Google all the abbreviations, but yes, I agree.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024