Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Booked NY for December 14:13 - Jan 19 with 2560 viewshype313

Am I being overly optimisitic or stupid?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Booked NY for December on 14:55 - Jan 19 with 351 viewsSpruceMoose

Booked NY for December on 14:53 - Jan 19 by Illinoisblue

I love America but, man, I got to get out of this place. I’m hoping border opens up for annual fishing trip to Canada in September. Then maybe a cheeky trip to blighty in November.

Same here mate, well and truly restless at this point.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Booked NY for December on 14:59 - Jan 19 with 347 viewsElderGrizzly

Official view is you should be fine, borders will likely open in September for 'regular' travel into the USA.

Just expect to still see some restrictions within NYC and other major US cities into 2022
Booked NY for December on 15:08 - Jan 19 with 334 viewsWallingford_Boy

Booked NY for December on 14:48 - Jan 19 by noggin

To be fair, you're happy with the state of ITFC right now, so....

I most certainly am not negative noggin!

The club is a right mess!!

Was simply taking the positives from the Burton game.

Big difference!

RIP Sir Bobby

Booked NY for December on 15:13 - Jan 19 with 327 viewsChurchman

Plan for success!! It’s not stupid at all. Last July August, my ski buddy and I booked a short ski trip to Finland for the end of January. That was optimistic/stupid!

It’s morphed into Italy in mid March. It probably won’t happen, but hey, it was worth a go and even if it goes pear shaped, we should get the money back or deferred to the next ski season somewhere.
Booked NY for December on 15:13 - Jan 19 with 325 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 14:40 - Jan 19 by SpruceMoose

I'm hoping you can come in December, because that means I'll be able to come the other way and visit the UK!

Given what we know right now, and providing nothing major develops that we are currently unaware of, I imagine by December you'll be fine to come over. In the industry I work in, the word is that autumn 2021 will be when offices etc. start to reopen, with spring 2022 feeling somewhat back to normal.

That's obviously all subject to change. Certain areas of the city are still Covid hotspots, but those areas are off the beaten track and unless you want to wander around largely residential neighbourhoods in Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn you'll be pretty safe in Manhattan (assuming that's where you'll mostly be)!

Be cautious believing too many doomsaying reports about the state of the city either. I don't know anyone who has left the city. Where would they go? Somewhere filled with people and politicians who think the virus is a hoax and mask wearing is a political act? People who live here and have family here aren't willing or able to just up sticks for somewhere random that probably will be less safe.

Honestly, there's nowhere else in the States I'd rather be right now, and the people I know all feel the same. The only folk who I've heard about leaving are the rich with second homes in the mountains or out on the coast - and they're just waiting it out, they'll be back.

Yes, restaurants and bars will close between now and then. But new ones will open up, and many will survive. The major tourist attractions are still here and still operating (Broadway may even be reopen in some form by then). You can still visit museums, parks, see the sights etc. It's a good city to just walk around in, and mask compliance is high and on the whole people are respectful of Covid regulations.

I wouldn't want you to come over right now, but if you did, I could still pull you together an itinerary that would fill every day and leave you pretty knackered! New York isn't dead, despite what Trump says!

I'd sincerely like to get home this year, so I'm willing you and your December trip on buddy!

Cheers Moose! Haven't been since 99 and I've no doubt this time will be different, for a start I climbed the Statue of Liberty which I believe isn't allowed post 9/11 (which isn't a bother as it was pretty hellish!)

I'm staying at a nice little place on Grand Street, my other half has never been and desperate to go, she wants to go at Xmas time which for me is probably the best, even with the cold, summertime in NY is probably as much of a mare as London in a hot August.

Do let me know some little gems, I'm all ears, obviously the wife will want to do the standard spots, but always nice to hear off the beat spots :)

Oh, and whereabouts are you Sprucey?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:39]

Booked NY for December on 15:15 - Jan 19 with 324 viewsIllinoisblue

Booked NY for December on 14:55 - Jan 19 by SpruceMoose

Same here mate, well and truly restless at this point.

Indeed. January is always a miserable month but it feels worse than normal right now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Booked NY for December on 15:30 - Jan 19 with 315 viewsRadlett_blue

Booked NY for December on 15:13 - Jan 19 by hype313

Cheers Moose! Haven't been since 99 and I've no doubt this time will be different, for a start I climbed the Statue of Liberty which I believe isn't allowed post 9/11 (which isn't a bother as it was pretty hellish!)

I'm staying at a nice little place on Grand Street, my other half has never been and desperate to go, she wants to go at Xmas time which for me is probably the best, even with the cold, summertime in NY is probably as much of a mare as London in a hot August.

Do let me know some little gems, I'm all ears, obviously the wife will want to do the standard spots, but always nice to hear off the beat spots :)

Do Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Centre) rather than the Empire State Building. Cheaper ,less crowded, better organised & a better viewing platform.
As it's December, MoMA is worth a visit even if you don't like modern art.
The Natural History Museum is very good of its kind.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Booked NY for December on 15:33 - Jan 19 with 307 viewsnoggin

Booked NY for December on 15:08 - Jan 19 by Wallingford_Boy

I most certainly am not negative noggin!

The club is a right mess!!

Was simply taking the positives from the Burton game.

Big difference!

Ok, it's just I didn't see any positives.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Booked NY for December on 15:38 - Jan 19 with 302 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 15:30 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

Do Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Centre) rather than the Empire State Building. Cheaper ,less crowded, better organised & a better viewing platform.

Cheers, funnily enough a friend mentioned exactly the same thing about Rockafeller, I did Empire last time, so be good to do something different.

Booked NY for December on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 296 viewsjaykay

want to go to singapore again for the wifes 70th in sept. not sure if this will happen although we should both had the jab by then. but the singapore government are pretty hot on their pandemic rules. which is a good thing

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Booked NY for December on 15:46 - Jan 19 with 296 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 15:44 - Jan 19 by jaykay

want to go to singapore again for the wifes 70th in sept. not sure if this will happen although we should both had the jab by then. but the singapore government are pretty hot on their pandemic rules. which is a good thing

If you have both had the vaccine then I can't see why that wouldn't be allowed.

Booked NY for December on 15:48 - Jan 19 with 292 viewsElderGrizzly

Booked NY for December on 15:46 - Jan 19 by hype313

If you have both had the vaccine then I can't see why that wouldn't be allowed.

It won't be about whether they have had the vaccine, but what the country they are heading to is doing.

Assumption in planning right now is those who have the vaccine can still transmit the virus
Booked NY for December on 15:52 - Jan 19 with 285 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 15:48 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

It won't be about whether they have had the vaccine, but what the country they are heading to is doing.

Assumption in planning right now is those who have the vaccine can still transmit the virus

Although today's news coming from Israel regarding the lack of transmission after the vaccine might mean that argument is eased.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:54]

Booked NY for December on 15:52 - Jan 19 with 285 viewsbluelagos

Booked NY for December on 15:48 - Jan 19 by ElderGrizzly

Which would suggest some countries might keep their borders closed and/or insist on strict quarantining for some time yet? Why would say Aus or NZ welcome brits who may be carrying the virus, vaccine or not?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Booked NY for December on 16:41 - Jan 19 with 271 viewsSpruceMoose

Booked NY for December on 15:13 - Jan 19 by hype313

We are over in South Brooklyn. Quiet residential areas away from the craziness. Lot's of parks, outdoor places. Not much cause to come over to our neck of the woods for unless you want to check out the graves of Jean-Michel Basquiat and Leonard Bernstein at Green-Wood Cemetery or enjoy the best South American food in Brooklyn! But on a short trip, probably not worth the trek! I work over around the Columbus Circle area though (in normal times at least!)

Personally, depending on your interests, I always recommend setting aside some time to come over to Brooklyn though. Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights could all be worth some time, especially if you're looking for the good food, breweries or even a bit of hip hop history. Besides, it's much more laid back than Manhattan, you may need a break. The best views of Manhattan are from the Brooklyn side of the river too. Brooklyn Bridge park is good for a walk for that.

Drop me a PM closer to the time with what you'll be up to and I'll see if there's anything I can add to your itinerary!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Booked NY for December on 16:42 - Jan 19 with 271 viewsnoggin

Booked NY for December on 15:52 - Jan 19 by hype313

Although today's news coming from Israel regarding the lack of transmission after the vaccine might mean that argument is eased.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:54]

Question is, how long will those antibodies remain in the circulation.

Booked NY for December on 16:44 - Jan 19 with 267 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 16:41 - Jan 19 by SpruceMoose

We are over in South Brooklyn. Quiet residential areas away from the craziness. Lot's of parks, outdoor places. Not much cause to come over to our neck of the woods for unless you want to check out the graves of Jean-Michel Basquiat and Leonard Bernstein at Green-Wood Cemetery or enjoy the best South American food in Brooklyn! But on a short trip, probably not worth the trek! I work over around the Columbus Circle area though (in normal times at least!)

Personally, depending on your interests, I always recommend setting aside some time to come over to Brooklyn though. Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights could all be worth some time, especially if you're looking for the good food, breweries or even a bit of hip hop history. Besides, it's much more laid back than Manhattan, you may need a break. The best views of Manhattan are from the Brooklyn side of the river too. Brooklyn Bridge park is good for a walk for that.

Drop me a PM closer to the time with what you'll be up to and I'll see if there's anything I can add to your itinerary!

Brilliant, thank you, I think after a couple of days of the madness I'll be looking for some rest bite and experience of other parts, away from the hustle and bustle.

I'll definitely drop you a PM nearer the time, once it is confirmed, or if, and if you need any help on places to visit in Ipswich then I'm happy to help

Booked NY for December on 16:45 - Jan 19 with 264 viewsSpruceMoose

Booked NY for December on 15:30 - Jan 19 by Radlett_blue

Yep to all this. The bar at the Top of the Rock is pretty nice too, and not all that expensive considering its location.

I've not been but there's also a newer public viewing platform over in the new Hudson Yards development, which I think is the highest outdoor deck in the city.

https://www.edgenyc.com/en

Booked NY for December on 16:46 - Jan 19 with 261 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 16:42 - Jan 19 by noggin

Question is, how long will those antibodies remain in the circulation.

That is the question, but if you look at Covid's cousin SARS then you'll find people with antibodies 17 years later, so there is hope.

Booked NY for December on 16:46 - Jan 19 with 260 viewsSpruceMoose

Booked NY for December on 16:44 - Jan 19 by hype313

Brilliant, thank you, I think after a couple of days of the madness I'll be looking for some rest bite and experience of other parts, away from the hustle and bustle.

I'll definitely drop you a PM nearer the time, once it is confirmed, or if, and if you need any help on places to visit in Ipswich then I'm happy to help

My main concern is if the Lipsmackers burger van still there?

Booked NY for December on 16:48 - Jan 19 with 258 viewsMonkeyAlan

Very! Why book stuff? Wait and see.
Booked NY for December on 16:50 - Jan 19 with 256 viewsnoggin

Booked NY for December on 16:46 - Jan 19 by hype313

That is the question, but if you look at Covid's cousin SARS then you'll find people with antibodies 17 years later, so there is hope.

Fingers crossed. Getting my 2nd dose in a fortnight.

Booked NY for December on 16:51 - Jan 19 with 255 viewsStokieBlue

Booked NY for December on 16:45 - Jan 19 by SpruceMoose

Yep to all this. The bar at the Top of the Rock is pretty nice too, and not all that expensive considering its location.

I've not been but there's also a newer public viewing platform over in the new Hudson Yards development, which I think is the highest outdoor deck in the city.

https://www.edgenyc.com/en

If the Hudson Yards is open now doesn't that mean the High Line has a number of good places to stop for some refreshment on the way? There used to be a hotel about half way along with a bar on the roof that was a good place to stop.

Last time I went the Hudson Yards was just starting to be built.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Booked NY for December on 16:52 - Jan 19 with 253 viewshype313

Booked NY for December on 16:46 - Jan 19 by SpruceMoose

My main concern is if the Lipsmackers burger van still there?

Don't think so, I remember it as Zebds shed before Perry took it over, but judging by his customer service I wouldn't be surprised if he had his license revoked.

Used to find it mildy amusing watching him put someone in a headlock whilst your "All in" was bubbling away.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 16:59]

Booked NY for December on 16:55 - Jan 19 with 248 viewsStokieBlue

Booked NY for December on 16:46 - Jan 19 by hype313

That would be excellent, lets hope it's the case than immunity is far longer than the researchers have thus far been prepared to say (they have no evidence to go on).

Need to be careful with this though, C19 is significantly different to SARS.

We will know a lot more in 6-12 months.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024