Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clive Lewis is right 13:41 - Jan 31 with 1251 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour under Starmer just aren’t inspiring enough on their own merits. But a progressive, electoral reform alliance would be a positive message AND most importantly give them the numbers they show no signs of getting otherwise.

Of course, if Starmer and the Labour Right would rather defend the establishment, police the opposition debate and control the party, then I hope there’s a leadership challenge sooner rather than later.

Pronouns: He/Him

Clive Lewis is right on 14:26 - Jan 31 with 1161 viewsKievthegreat

Is it the Labour right who are opposing overtures such as these? In my experience those that rail against "Yellow Tories" for instance and call them "Tory-lite scum", etc.... seem to be from the left of the labour party.

For what it's worth, such a plan works for everyone (except the tories). It's a no brainer until Labour think they can win without it, that's the risk.

Edit:posted too soon!
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 14:29]
Clive Lewis is right on 14:43 - Jan 31 with 1111 viewstractordownsouth

I’m all up for a Lab/Lib pact until a future Labour government can change the voting system, but many on the Labour left wouldn’t support that because they think the Lib Dems are just yellow Tories. We need the Lib Dems to sort themselves out because 18 of their target seats are Tory-held.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Clive Lewis is right on 14:54 - Jan 31 with 1072 viewsChurchman

Do they need to be ‘inspiring’. Tony Blair was inspiring enough and got a lot of people killed in Iraq and places. Trump? He was inspiring to a lot of Americans - let’s not go there. Macron. All fresh shiny and new. Shame he’s a little man in all definitions of the word. Johnson clearly has something about him. High intellect too, but catastrophic judgement in the last year will be his legacy, including clinging to that dreadful piece of work cummings.

I don’t care if Starmer has inspirational bypass. The question is does he have the courage of his convictions? Does his judgement match his obviously clever brain? Basically is he good enough? Is Labour? Does Labour appeal to a wide enough chunk of the electorate? I don’t think he or Labour have shone in the last year, but they really weren’t in a position too. I think the judgement is out on particularly Starmer until he’s had a lot more time, particularly time after this crisis is over. It’s not as if Labour is up against stiff opposition.
Clive Lewis is right on 15:03 - Jan 31 with 1033 viewsJ2BLUE

Clive Lewis is right on 14:54 - Jan 31 by Churchman

Do they need to be ‘inspiring’. Tony Blair was inspiring enough and got a lot of people killed in Iraq and places. Trump? He was inspiring to a lot of Americans - let’s not go there. Macron. All fresh shiny and new. Shame he’s a little man in all definitions of the word. Johnson clearly has something about him. High intellect too, but catastrophic judgement in the last year will be his legacy, including clinging to that dreadful piece of work cummings.

I don’t care if Starmer has inspirational bypass. The question is does he have the courage of his convictions? Does his judgement match his obviously clever brain? Basically is he good enough? Is Labour? Does Labour appeal to a wide enough chunk of the electorate? I don’t think he or Labour have shone in the last year, but they really weren’t in a position too. I think the judgement is out on particularly Starmer until he’s had a lot more time, particularly time after this crisis is over. It’s not as if Labour is up against stiff opposition.

Courage of his convictions? He isn't even telling us what he stands for. Just keeps opposing everything the Tories do with no plan of his own.

I'm not arguing that he wouldn't be an upgrade, he clearly would, but he needs to start doing something. Would anyone put it past Johnson to call a snap election on the back of the vaccine success?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Clive Lewis is right on 15:22 - Jan 31 with 994 viewsChurchman

Clive Lewis is right on 15:03 - Jan 31 by J2BLUE

Courage of his convictions? He isn't even telling us what he stands for. Just keeps opposing everything the Tories do with no plan of his own.

I'm not arguing that he wouldn't be an upgrade, he clearly would, but he needs to start doing something. Would anyone put it past Johnson to call a snap election on the back of the vaccine success?

I don’t disagree with you at all. I just think he needs a bit more time.

When the pandemic is over, in many ways I think the govt should hold an election to be judged on what they did. Another part of me thinks ‘god, please not another one. Spare me!’
Clive Lewis is right on 15:57 - Jan 31 with 957 viewsDarth_Koont

Clive Lewis is right on 14:54 - Jan 31 by Churchman

No, I agree with you.

I couldn’t really care less about slick presentation as more often than not that hides an empty, meaningless void – or something a bit nastier even.

Starmer’s ideas don’t inspire so far and the talking points seem regressive.

Clive Lewis is right on 16:41 - Jan 31 with 910 viewsMonkeyAlan

Starmer is a bad egg really.
Clive Lewis is right on 16:57 - Jan 31 with 870 viewsDarth_Koont

Clive Lewis is right on 14:26 - Jan 31 by Kievthegreat

Is it the Labour right who are opposing overtures such as these? In my experience those that rail against "Yellow Tories" for instance and call them "Tory-lite scum", etc.... seem to be from the left of the labour party.

For what it's worth, such a plan works for everyone (except the tories). It's a no brainer until Labour think they can win without it, that's the risk.

Edit:posted too soon!
[Post edited 31 Jan 2021 14:29]

Well, I’d much rather have a left or at least genuinely centre-left platform from the start, but that’s not going to happen under the current leadership.

But rather than pitch right for voters they could align more with the rest of the centre and the left to get the numbers. It’s also the only move that will see us solving the bigger, more long-term issue that FPTP hasn’t been fit for purpose for many decades – and the silly red-blue monolithic politics it results in has done more than anything else to destabilise, disenfranchise and disillusion the UK.

Login to get fewer ads

Clive Lewis is right on 17:03 - Jan 31 with 849 viewsWD19

Starmer need to string his ‘new manager bounce’ out for about 3 years, so won’t want to peak too soon. With the state of what he inherited he will need several transfer windows.
Clive Lewis is right on 17:43 - Jan 31 with 784 viewsthebooks

Clive Lewis is right on 16:57 - Jan 31 by Darth_Koont

Well, I’d much rather have a left or at least genuinely centre-left platform from the start, but that’s not going to happen under the current leadership.

But rather than pitch right for voters they could align more with the rest of the centre and the left to get the numbers. It’s also the only move that will see us solving the bigger, more long-term issue that FPTP hasn’t been fit for purpose for many decades – and the silly red-blue monolithic politics it results in has done more than anything else to destabilise, disenfranchise and disillusion the UK.

It’s very disappointing that the only lessons the Blairite wing of the party appears to have learned from the 2019 election is that vaguely radical policies are unpopular and appearing competent is all important.

Did they not see who got an 80 seat majority?

Not surpirsing, though, as Blairism is essentially about managing appearances. It’s just a shame that Corbyn didn’t actually purge the PLP and CLPs of Blairites quite as ruthlessly as Starmer has got rid of anyone who’s vaguely left.

Hard to see what coalition he’s trying to build to at least get a hung parliament. I suspect he thinks you can still triangulate a majority, just like in 1997.
Clive Lewis is right on 18:22 - Jan 31 with 755 viewsDarth_Koont

Clive Lewis is right on 17:43 - Jan 31 by thebooks

It’s very disappointing that the only lessons the Blairite wing of the party appears to have learned from the 2019 election is that vaguely radical policies are unpopular and appearing competent is all important.

Did they not see who got an 80 seat majority?

Not surpirsing, though, as Blairism is essentially about managing appearances. It’s just a shame that Corbyn didn’t actually purge the PLP and CLPs of Blairites quite as ruthlessly as Starmer has got rid of anyone who’s vaguely left.

Hard to see what coalition he’s trying to build to at least get a hung parliament. I suspect he thinks you can still triangulate a majority, just like in 1997.

Well said.

The so-called learnings from 2019 seem to be entirely self-serving and guaranteed to miss the real point of representative democratic politics. Even with the worst government in living memory, they’re trying to shadow them and be in a position to “pounce” in 2029.

In the words of Edwin Collins, it’s time to rip it up and start again.

Clive Lewis is right on 20:39 - Jan 31 with 679 viewstractordownsouth

Any early GE would have to be agreed by Labour, and Starmer won’t whip his MPs to vote for one if Labour are behind. The mistake of 2019, where the party walked into Johnson’s trap, won’t be repeated.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Clive Lewis is right on 18:45 - Feb 1 with 526 viewsGlasgowBlue

You'll like this

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Clive Lewis is right on 19:58 - Feb 1 with 469 viewsDarth_Koont

Clive Lewis is right on 18:45 - Feb 1 by GlasgowBlue

You'll like this

I expect the strategists around Starmer will be made up about that. The message is hitting home.

Presenting Starmer as a competent version of the the Tories will set them all up for life.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024