Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lance 23:44 - Jan 31 with 1302 viewsBent_double

Just watching the Lance Armstrong doc on BBC2.....what an utter cunit that guy was/is.

Never really followed cycling, but always thought that there was something dodgy about all those TDF wins, but the way he used/abused people to get his way, unbelievable.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lance on 23:53 - Jan 31 with 1267 viewsbluelagos

Amazing that he thought he would come out of the documentary with an improved public image. Your description was exactly what I thought when I first saw it. Well worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen it and wants an insight into exactly how he went about things and how he was happy to throw anyone under the bus who stood in his way.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Lance on 07:39 - Feb 1 with 1089 viewsthebooks

Yeah, it was good, but annoyed me a bit.

Any documentary that looks into this again without focusing on Armstrong’s victims runs the risk of contextualising what he did and providing some sort of excuse... He’s just very driven (which he obviously is), everyone was doping (which they were/are), he’s admitted it all now (which he has)... but this misses just how bullying and threatning he was, and how much he actually cheated, used his chartitable foundation as a cover/reputation laundering operation.

Still, definitely worth watching, but there are a couple of really good docus about the cheating itself which are brilliant.
Lance on 08:12 - Feb 1 with 1028 viewsHerbivore

Pretty sure he's right on the borderline of being a full blown sociopath.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lance on 08:21 - Feb 1 with 1002 viewsBluefish

I read his book before all of the doping stuff came out and at that time he was supposed to be a hero and a wonderful human being. He came across as a complete prick

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lance on 08:26 - Feb 1 with 984 viewsitfcjoe

I thought it was really good, watched some months ago, but just shows him for what it is - incredibly driven, but at the expense of others well being

He almost killed himself by taking drugs which seemingly led to his cancer with a minimal survival chance, and had to live with that. Nearly everyone cheated in cycling back then, and that's not to excuse his actions, but there was always going to be someone that pushed it further, and there was a lot of people enabling and excusing that because of the success it brought them.

Fascianting watch, and a number of fascinating reads out there, for what is a hugely flawed person

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lance on 08:46 - Feb 1 with 931 viewsLeoMuff

Great watch, hugely charismatic figure, but literally no moral compass and would stop at nothing to achieve his will.

In a Parallel universe he seems the sort of personality type who would pop up in one of those serial killer docs !

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Lance on 09:09 - Feb 1 with 901 viewsartsbossbeard

Was a proper sporting hero of mine, loved his drive, passion and how he overcame an illness that would've killed most people.

When I start to scratched the surface and saw how many cycling writers and fellow cyclists ITK knew/guessed what he was up to, I actually felt cheated (if that makes sense).

I've taped this documentary and there's another one on Sky that worth watching. His treatment of fellow cyclists/team mates was horrendous - and also not sustainable if you're looking to cheat the cycling world..

I'd still love to meet him though...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Lance on 10:15 - Feb 1 with 814 viewsbluelagos

Around 2007 I met an American semi-pro cyclist who had just given up cycling. He said the next step for him would have been to be a "grunt" on one of the TDF teams. He said he didn't want to because of the prevalence of drugs.

I probed a bit and he asserted that every rider on the tour was taking drugs. Without exception. And that to join the tour that was what he would have to do.

At the time, there were rumours of drug taking, but I still thought he was exaggerating maybe covering for his failure to step up. Really wish I could meet him again. I wouldn't say the guy's life was ruined but his chances of being an honest pro were stolen from him.

Echo all the words typed on this thread. Particularly that Armstrong comes across as a sociopath.

Login to get fewer ads

Lance on 10:34 - Feb 1 with 786 viewsbrazil1982

Is this a one off? I thought it ended incredibly abruptly.
Lance on 10:37 - Feb 1 with 771 viewsbluelagos

Lance on 10:34 - Feb 1 by brazil1982

Is this a one off? I thought it ended incredibly abruptly.

There were 2 episodes. Sure it's on catch up.

Lance on 10:41 - Feb 1 with 760 viewsBent_double

If I wasn't aware of him and his reputation, I would honestly have thought that was one of those 'docudramas' - made up for TV - knowing that it is what actually happened beggars belief.

He's not a borderline sociopath, he's a full-blown one, saying he hasn't forgiven one of his former teammates for initially blowing the whistle on the doping scandal. Even the part in the doc where he was at home with his partner, preparing a meal - he was using a kitchen utensil (very badly) to shave some hard cheese into a salad, and proceeded to slice the end of his finger off. Seemed a bit staged to me.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lance on 10:47 - Feb 1 with 749 viewschicoazul

Lance on 08:12 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Pretty sure he's right on the borderline of being a full blown sociopath.

Every person who reaches the absolute top of their field, whatever it is, is a psychopath who has trampled over people to get to where they are.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lance on 10:49 - Feb 1 with 739 viewsbluelagos

Lance on 10:47 - Feb 1 by chicoazul

Every person who reaches the absolute top of their field, whatever it is, is a psychopath who has trampled over people to get to where they are.

Do you really think that?

I think that is true of many areas, business, politics.

Lance on 10:51 - Feb 1 with 735 viewschicoazul

Lance on 10:49 - Feb 1 by bluelagos

Do you really think that?

I think that is true of many areas, business, politics.

It’s true of all fields. To get to the very top of any field - sport business politics industry the public sector - you have to possess faculties which the vast majority of people would find utterly abhorrent.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024