Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Common Misconceptions 22:54 - Feb 15 with 2827 viewsChris_ITFC

1. It doesn’t matter if it’s a quiet footpath or if you want to call it a protest. Damage or no damage, two metres or not, being out setting flares is a clear breach of current COVID regulations.

2. Despite the media attention, a small group of fans setting flares outside the ground does not make it more likely that PL will lose his job. It plays into the club narrative and into ME’s stubbornness not to bow to fan pressure, particularly those acting in this way.

That’s no comment on my view of the protest. There is anger, and a need to vent it. It’s ironic, and rather sad, that our club misses its fans as they’re needed in the stadium to express displeasure, not support, for the good of its future.
Common Misconceptions on 01:02 - Feb 16 with 2493 viewsEireannach_gorm

Another one is that people thing being cross ( or not ) on the internet will get rid of Lambert.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 11:03]
Common Misconceptions on 01:16 - Feb 16 with 2463 viewsmonytowbray

BLM protests likely won’t achieve racial equality overnight either. Best tell everyone to all go home and sit around waiting for nothing to happen.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Common Misconceptions on 06:43 - Feb 16 with 2368 viewsgordon

That's a footpath misconception, not a common misconception.
Common Misconceptions on 06:46 - Feb 16 with 2338 viewsjeera

Common Misconceptions on 06:43 - Feb 16 by gordon

That's a footpath misconception, not a common misconception.

Is that concrete or just speculation?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Common Misconceptions on 07:20 - Feb 16 with 2273 viewsBryanPlug

Common Misconceptions on 01:16 - Feb 16 by monytowbray

BLM protests likely won’t achieve racial equality overnight either. Best tell everyone to all go home and sit around waiting for nothing to happen.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Common Misconceptions on 07:42 - Feb 16 with 2220 viewsChris_ITFC

It’s not really comparing apples with apples. The ultimate aim for BA is to change the views of an individual who publicly supports an alternative view (i.e. supports PL). The equivalent would be for BLM to target an ardent racist by turning up outside his house with pitchforks. It might achieve something - e.g. the venting anger point - but it is only likely to make the individual further entrenched in his views.

As with BLM, there’s an argument than any publicity is good publicity, but I think that’s also been proved wrong in their case in certain instances (not generally). And, if the aim is ultimately to get PL sacked, ME is not going to be seen to bow to this sort of action, even if he was ready to sack PL today. That would harm his reputation far more than the media coverage, which comes across as a vocal minority acting recklessly (not my view, but the tabloid take). In the world of people like ME, you don’t see that as an influential protest, and you certainly wouldn’t want others to perceive that you do, in the same way violent BLM protests are derided by those with power and privilege.

The opposite to being sceptical about the protest isn’t a) being anti BA’s intentions or b) supporting doing absolutely nothing. To effectively influence ME, you have to communicate on his level. That’s why other ideas raised on this board, such as cancelling season tickets (financial impact) and the red card idea (PR impact of discontent in large numbers, being promoted by local business / national media / prominent ITFC figures) feel more likely to have success to me. It’s about the individual, particularly at this club - it’s all about how ME sees it.
Common Misconceptions on 08:22 - Feb 16 with 2142 viewsmonytowbray

Common Misconceptions on 07:20 - Feb 16 by BryanPlug

Not so much about a direct comparison as it is little has changed for the better throughout history without civil disobedience.

Yet people act like protesting and direct action to raise awareness do little.

Don’t project your poor understanding of reality onto me.

TWTD never forgets…

Common Misconceptions on 08:26 - Feb 16 with 2122 viewsmonytowbray

Common Misconceptions on 07:42 - Feb 16 by Chris_ITFC

It’s not really comparing apples with apples. The ultimate aim for BA is to change the views of an individual who publicly supports an alternative view (i.e. supports PL). The equivalent would be for BLM to target an ardent racist by turning up outside his house with pitchforks. It might achieve something - e.g. the venting anger point - but it is only likely to make the individual further entrenched in his views.

As with BLM, there’s an argument than any publicity is good publicity, but I think that’s also been proved wrong in their case in certain instances (not generally). And, if the aim is ultimately to get PL sacked, ME is not going to be seen to bow to this sort of action, even if he was ready to sack PL today. That would harm his reputation far more than the media coverage, which comes across as a vocal minority acting recklessly (not my view, but the tabloid take). In the world of people like ME, you don’t see that as an influential protest, and you certainly wouldn’t want others to perceive that you do, in the same way violent BLM protests are derided by those with power and privilege.

The opposite to being sceptical about the protest isn’t a) being anti BA’s intentions or b) supporting doing absolutely nothing. To effectively influence ME, you have to communicate on his level. That’s why other ideas raised on this board, such as cancelling season tickets (financial impact) and the red card idea (PR impact of discontent in large numbers, being promoted by local business / national media / prominent ITFC figures) feel more likely to have success to me. It’s about the individual, particularly at this club - it’s all about how ME sees it.

In case you haven’t noticed, doing it your preferred way is arguably why we’re f**cked in L1.

Evans has had all the rope he could have and more from us. We’re becoming (if not already) a Blackpool/Coventry and some people still think a well worded letter whilst renewing their ST out of loyalty is the way forward.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Common Misconceptions on 08:32 - Feb 16 with 2095 viewsIpswichKnight

ME would be left in no doubt what our feelings are if we were allowed in the ground. Currently he is letting that fraud dictate the narrative with only 5 points from 6th with3 games in hand etc..... the more people who get to shine a light on that frauds dismal and appalling record of failure the more likely they will be asking the club why hasn’t he been fired and the more who do that the more likely it is that ME will realise he’s been done over by a fraud.
Common Misconceptions on 08:34 - Feb 16 with 2083 views44_not_out

Regardless of legality and effectiveness, as I said on a previous post, it seemed to really annoy Stuart Taylor, so job done! And no doubt it ruined Lambert’s day, so every cloud.
Common Misconceptions on 08:36 - Feb 16 with 2071 viewsitfcjoe

Re point 2 - how could you possibly know what ME is thinking?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Common Misconceptions on 08:43 - Feb 16 with 2030 viewsBryanPlug

Common Misconceptions on 08:22 - Feb 16 by monytowbray

Not so much about a direct comparison as it is little has changed for the better throughout history without civil disobedience.

Yet people act like protesting and direct action to raise awareness do little.

Don’t project your poor understanding of reality onto me.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Common Misconceptions on 08:51 - Feb 16 with 1995 viewsChris_ITFC

Common Misconceptions on 08:26 - Feb 16 by monytowbray

In case you haven’t noticed, doing it your preferred way is arguably why we’re f**cked in L1.

Evans has had all the rope he could have and more from us. We’re becoming (if not already) a Blackpool/Coventry and some people still think a well worded letter whilst renewing their ST out of loyalty is the way forward.

Having said “cancelling season tickets” in my post, I’m not sure why you’ve nearly implied my preferred way is renewing season tickets out of loyalty. We’re on the same page there.
Common Misconceptions on 08:55 - Feb 16 with 1973 viewsChris_ITFC

Common Misconceptions on 08:36 - Feb 16 by itfcjoe

Re point 2 - how could you possibly know what ME is thinking?

No-one does. But it’s a fair assumption that the corporate response to this sort of thing is to batten down the hatches. Previous references to “be careful what you wish for” and public backing being given in response to calls to sack PL suggest a degree of stubbornness.

If (big if) ME was planning to sack PL, I would expect that would be less likely to happen in the immediate future for fear of people conflating the two events and suggesting he reacted to the protest. People are welcome to disagree. And that isn’t the same as being dismissive of the protest.
Common Misconceptions on 08:58 - Feb 16 with 1959 viewsitfcjoe

Common Misconceptions on 08:55 - Feb 16 by Chris_ITFC

No-one does. But it’s a fair assumption that the corporate response to this sort of thing is to batten down the hatches. Previous references to “be careful what you wish for” and public backing being given in response to calls to sack PL suggest a degree of stubbornness.

If (big if) ME was planning to sack PL, I would expect that would be less likely to happen in the immediate future for fear of people conflating the two events and suggesting he reacted to the protest. People are welcome to disagree. And that isn’t the same as being dismissive of the protest.

So what you seemingly stated as a fact is just your opinion?

Is it any more valid than the opinion that Evans hates being in the public eye, is quite happy to ignore local media and fans but will not like having the light shone on what was happening here by the national media, and rather than make him dig in could push him over the edge?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Common Misconceptions on 08:59 - Feb 16 with 1941 viewsMonkeyAlan

All of this will just mean Evans will dig his heels in even more. He is adamant that he isn't going to listen to supporters anymore after the MM debacle. People need to get used to this. Regardless of ticket sales Lambert will start next season. He really doesn't care what the fans think anymore.
Common Misconceptions on 09:16 - Feb 16 with 1905 viewsChris_ITFC

Common Misconceptions on 08:58 - Feb 16 by itfcjoe

So what you seemingly stated as a fact is just your opinion?

Is it any more valid than the opinion that Evans hates being in the public eye, is quite happy to ignore local media and fans but will not like having the light shone on what was happening here by the national media, and rather than make him dig in could push him over the edge?

The national media report it as fans throwing flares, causing a small fire, with the group later apologising for it. I think you’re over-egging the pudding.
Common Misconceptions on 09:26 - Feb 16 with 1886 viewsEwan_Oozami

Common Misconceptions on 09:16 - Feb 16 by Chris_ITFC

The national media report it as fans throwing flares, causing a small fire, with the group later apologising for it. I think you’re over-egging the pudding.

Next it'll be described as a full-blown Antifa riot with fans storming the fences and threatening people....all for the clicks...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Common Misconceptions on 09:47 - Feb 16 with 1839 viewshoppy

Common Misconceptions on 06:46 - Feb 16 by jeera

Is that concrete or just speculation?

I don’t think you’re understanding the route of the problem.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Common Misconceptions on 11:00 - Feb 16 with 1759 viewsmonytowbray

Common Misconceptions on 08:43 - Feb 16 by BryanPlug

Well there is, because your argument is stupid.

TWTD never forgets…

Common Misconceptions on 11:06 - Feb 16 with 1738 viewsmonty_radio

Common Misconceptions on 09:16 - Feb 16 by Chris_ITFC

If it's true that M.E. doesn't like a light shone (and there is long-standing evidence for this) then the accuracy or inaccuracy of the reports is irrelevant.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Common Misconceptions on 11:10 - Feb 16 with 1689 viewsmonytowbray

Common Misconceptions on 09:26 - Feb 16 by Ewan_Oozami

Next it'll be described as a full-blown Antifa riot with fans storming the fences and threatening people....all for the clicks...

Nah I’ve not shown up yet...

TWTD never forgets…

Common Misconceptions on 11:13 - Feb 16 with 1676 viewsjeera

Common Misconceptions on 09:47 - Feb 16 by hoppy

I don’t think you’re understanding the route of the problem.

And I think you're surface dressing the issue.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Common Misconceptions on 13:42 - Feb 16 with 1581 viewshoppy

Common Misconceptions on 11:13 - Feb 16 by jeera

And I think you're surface dressing the issue.

Admittedly, the signs were there a long while...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Common Misconceptions on 13:47 - Feb 16 with 1560 viewslambchoppywaters

Being in a particular football league DOESN'T matter you absolute fool!
Nobody died!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024