Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug 16:58 - Mar 7 with 4379 viewshomer_123

Covid pandemic, Mr Johnson said.

No, wholly incorrect. You are 'chosing' to give as much as you and your colleagues wish.

Would anyone vote Conservative after the way the pandemic has been handled?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56313199

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:30 - Mar 7 with 756 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:29 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

I’m not sure what will happen. Probably a short term boost to markets followed by a period of high inflation.

Was there high inflation following the last round of stimulus checks accompanied by a swiftly crippled economy?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:32 - Mar 7 with 749 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:29 - Mar 7 by thebooks

Of course. But the Weimar and the UK in 2021 are different places. There is absolutely no sign of anyone losing confidence in sterling.

They’re a bunch of different assets whose inflation have been caused by wealth being moved into the hands of a few mega-rich or the state selling of its housing stock for next to nothing and subsiding landlords. Nothing to do with QE.

If we start doing mega rounds of QE then yields will go up and we'll make it harder to borrow in the future. Eventually your plan would mean that only the central bank was buying our bonds. It would be a matter of time. I'm amazed you think we can endlessly print our way to prosperity. Might as well give everyone a £2000 a month UBI and stop worrying about life!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:32 - Mar 7 with 743 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:30 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Was there high inflation following the last round of stimulus checks accompanied by a swiftly crippled economy?

No, there wasn’t. What I was implying would be crippling was if we were to ‘print’ the entire costs of Covid which I though somebody was suggesting when they said we ‘paid’ for Covid by QE.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:38 - Mar 7 with 731 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:32 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

If we start doing mega rounds of QE then yields will go up and we'll make it harder to borrow in the future. Eventually your plan would mean that only the central bank was buying our bonds. It would be a matter of time. I'm amazed you think we can endlessly print our way to prosperity. Might as well give everyone a £2000 a month UBI and stop worrying about life!

Sounds good. Let's give that a go.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:40 - Mar 7 with 724 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:32 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

No, there wasn’t. What I was implying would be crippling was if we were to ‘print’ the entire costs of Covid which I though somebody was suggesting when they said we ‘paid’ for Covid by QE.

So a greater than 1% pay rise isn't the most the country can afford, and would be unlikely to cripple to the economy then?

If not economic in nature, what do you think the motivation for such a miserly offering might be?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:40]

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:42 - Mar 7 with 714 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:38 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Sounds good. Let's give that a go.

It would be great for a while.

There was a man put in charge of the money supply in France centuries ago and he was considered a genius. Until it went wrong.

The BofE could buy government debt and never redeem it for a limited period. Until it hits a certain point and tips the balance. The idea we can just create money from nowhere with no consequences is just laughable. It's great pointing to the last rounds of QE which just inflated asset prices. That doesn't mean it will work forever.

I'm sure you know all this, you just want to oppose Paz whatever the issue!

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:42 - Mar 7 with 710 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:40 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

So a greater than 1% pay rise isn't the most the country can afford, and would be unlikely to cripple to the economy then?

If not economic in nature, what do you think the motivation for such a miserly offering might be?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:40]

I wasn’t saying that a greater than 1% pay rise for nurses would cripple the economy. I was saying that attempting to ‘pay’ the entire costs of Covid via quantitive easing would cripple the economy.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:43 - Mar 7 with 706 viewsthebooks

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:32 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

It’s not that we “print our way to prosperity”, more that we stop seeing any govt. spending as a bad thing that will have to be paid for in the same way you might have to pay a credit card bill. That is simply wrong and creates huge problems, as we have seen when the state has to deal with an emergency.

We won’t have any prosperity without the govt. intervening, and govt.’s don’t have to pay debt in the same way you and I do.

We have done mega rounds of QE already, and the economy hasn’t collapsed. Inflation is 0.7%.

I really don’t see a problem with the state underwriting a decent standard of living — what else is it for? I’m not sure a UBI is the best way of achieving that, but why be so dismissive? At least show your workings :-)
Login to get fewer ads

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:44 - Mar 7 with 700 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:42 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

It would be great for a while.

There was a man put in charge of the money supply in France centuries ago and he was considered a genius. Until it went wrong.

The BofE could buy government debt and never redeem it for a limited period. Until it hits a certain point and tips the balance. The idea we can just create money from nowhere with no consequences is just laughable. It's great pointing to the last rounds of QE which just inflated asset prices. That doesn't mean it will work forever.

I'm sure you know all this, you just want to oppose Paz whatever the issue!

It would be helpful to your case if Paz had a track record of occasionally being right about something! He's like the old you but without the prospect of ever improving!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:44]

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:46 - Mar 7 with 697 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:42 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

I wasn’t saying that a greater than 1% pay rise for nurses would cripple the economy. I was saying that attempting to ‘pay’ the entire costs of Covid via quantitive easing would cripple the economy.

That's weird. One of your first posts on the thread was to say that the country doesn't have much money. Was it not your intention to suggest that as the reason for the 1% pay rise?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:47 - Mar 7 with 691 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:43 - Mar 7 by thebooks

It’s not that we “print our way to prosperity”, more that we stop seeing any govt. spending as a bad thing that will have to be paid for in the same way you might have to pay a credit card bill. That is simply wrong and creates huge problems, as we have seen when the state has to deal with an emergency.

We won’t have any prosperity without the govt. intervening, and govt.’s don’t have to pay debt in the same way you and I do.

We have done mega rounds of QE already, and the economy hasn’t collapsed. Inflation is 0.7%.

I really don’t see a problem with the state underwriting a decent standard of living — what else is it for? I’m not sure a UBI is the best way of achieving that, but why be so dismissive? At least show your workings :-)

My working is the multiple times throughout history that your idea has failed miserably.

The idea of printing to pay our bills is so discredited that I can't believe you're seriously suggesting it.

As i've said the last rounds of QE inflated asset prices.

There's no doubt borrowing to invest can be extremely worthwhile but printing to pay bills is not credible.

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:47 - Mar 7 with 681 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:46 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

That's weird. One of your first posts on the thread was to say that the country doesn't have much money. Was it not your intention to suggest that as the reason for the 1% pay rise?

Nope. I said I wasn’t getting involved in that debate.
I just wanted to point out it is ridiculous to suggest that a country with 2 trillion worth of debt has ‘tons of money’.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:48 - Mar 7 with 682 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:44 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

It would be helpful to your case if Paz had a track record of occasionally being right about something! He's like the old you but without the prospect of ever improving!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:44]

Put him on ignore then. He's done nothing wrong in this thread.

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:49 - Mar 7 with 674 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:47 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

Nope. I said I wasn’t getting involved in that debate.
I just wanted to point out it is ridiculous to suggest that a country with 2 trillion worth of debt has ‘tons of money’.

Saying 'I'm not getting involved in the debate" prior to getting involved in the debate doesn't really work Paz.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:50 - Mar 7 with 663 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:48 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

Put him on ignore then. He's done nothing wrong in this thread.

If you don't mind, Officer J2, I'm having a fairly decent and polite discussion with him. For once.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:51 - Mar 7 with 648 viewswkj

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:50 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

If you don't mind, Officer J2, I'm having a fairly decent and polite discussion with him. For once.

Sell out

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:51 - Mar 7 with 650 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:49 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Saying 'I'm not getting involved in the debate" prior to getting involved in the debate doesn't really work Paz.

None of my comments in this thread are about the NHS pay dispute.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:52 - Mar 7 with 647 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:51 - Mar 7 by wkj

Sell out

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:54 - Mar 7 with 631 viewsfooters

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:47 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

My working is the multiple times throughout history that your idea has failed miserably.

The idea of printing to pay our bills is so discredited that I can't believe you're seriously suggesting it.

There's no doubt borrowing to invest can be extremely worthwhile but printing to pay bills is not credible.

Yeah, it's not like anyone else is printing money at the minute.

We must be a special case.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:54 - Mar 7 with 625 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:51 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

None of my comments in this thread are about the NHS pay dispute.

You can see my confusion though, surely, seeing as that's what this thread is about? Why did you use this thread to randomly try to point out that the country is broke? You can see why I might think you're linking that claim to the pay rise issue, seeing as you said it... in a thread about the pay rise?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:56 - Mar 7 with 621 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:54 - Mar 7 by footers

Yeah, it's not like anyone else is printing money at the minute.

We must be a special case.

Every country is doing it. In an emergency there wasn't much choice. Officially the money is owed back with interest though.

We cannot fund the government for eternity by creating free money from the BofE, you must surely agree with this?

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:57 - Mar 7 with 612 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:54 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

You can see my confusion though, surely, seeing as that's what this thread is about? Why did you use this thread to randomly try to point out that the country is broke? You can see why I might think you're linking that claim to the pay rise issue, seeing as you said it... in a thread about the pay rise?

Somebody else said the country had ‘tons of money’ I simply pointed out that this is a falsehood. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m sorry to disappoint you but there is nothing here to give you a reason to get on your moral high horse and get all shouty at me with your mates.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:01 - Mar 7 with 597 viewsthebooks

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:47 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

Asset inflation was self-evidently a problem before 2008; the solution to unaffordable housing doesn’t have much to do with QE.

As I said, QE might not be the most effective method of putting money into the economy (perhaps a UBI or helicopter cash might be), but it obviously doesn’t cause the collapse of the British state.

Govt.s do print money to solve problems, as has been demonstrated by the 2008 and COVID crises — I’m not suggesting it, it’s what happens.

Your reasoning appears to be based on references to the past, which is fair enough, but the Weimar Republic collapsed in 1933. I dunno, that doesn’t sound that precise to me.
The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:02 - Mar 7 with 594 viewswkj

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:54 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Do you still have that book I leant you - "The Art of the Swerve"

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:02 - Mar 7 with 594 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:57 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

Somebody else said the country had ‘tons of money’ I simply pointed out that this is a falsehood. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m sorry to disappoint you but there is nothing here to give you a reason to get on your moral high horse and get all shouty at me with your mates.

Nobody is getting shouty. I'm just asking your opinions on it as a member of the Conservative Party. I've been polite.

I don't think it's a stretch to link what you posted to what the thread is about. Your implication is clear - the country has coronavirus to pay for so you think 1% is all the country can afford. Why not just say that? Or if you don't think, that and believe the country can actually afford more, why not say that?

Wanting to get involved, and make hints about your thoughts on this thread without coming out with your actual position, only leads to confusion.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 21:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024