Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug 16:58 - Mar 7 with 4383 viewshomer_123

Covid pandemic, Mr Johnson said.

No, wholly incorrect. You are 'chosing' to give as much as you and your colleagues wish.

Would anyone vote Conservative after the way the pandemic has been handled?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56313199

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:03 - Mar 7 with 1027 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:02 - Mar 7 by wkj

Do you still have that book I leant you - "The Art of the Swerve"

Donated it to the library. Which then shut down.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:04 - Mar 7 with 1008 viewswkj

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:03 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Donated it to the library. Which then shut down.

I thought that Library had loads of money?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:05 - Mar 7 with 1023 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:04 - Mar 7 by wkj

I thought that Library had loads of money?

You're thinking of water canons.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:06 - Mar 7 with 1014 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:02 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Nobody is getting shouty. I'm just asking your opinions on it as a member of the Conservative Party. I've been polite.

I don't think it's a stretch to link what you posted to what the thread is about. Your implication is clear - the country has coronavirus to pay for so you think 1% is all the country can afford. Why not just say that? Or if you don't think, that and believe the country can actually afford more, why not say that?

Wanting to get involved, and make hints about your thoughts on this thread without coming out with your actual position, only leads to confusion.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 21:06]

No hints on my thoughts at all. I’ve not really thought too much about the 1% thing. I simply wanted to challenge a view stated by another poster that the country had ‘tons of money’. Is that ok with you?

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:06 - Mar 7 with 1013 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:01 - Mar 7 by thebooks

Asset inflation was self-evidently a problem before 2008; the solution to unaffordable housing doesn’t have much to do with QE.

As I said, QE might not be the most effective method of putting money into the economy (perhaps a UBI or helicopter cash might be), but it obviously doesn’t cause the collapse of the British state.

Govt.s do print money to solve problems, as has been demonstrated by the 2008 and COVID crises — I’m not suggesting it, it’s what happens.

Your reasoning appears to be based on references to the past, which is fair enough, but the Weimar Republic collapsed in 1933. I dunno, that doesn’t sound that precise to me.

QE officially needs to be paid back with interest. It's not free money as you seem to think. Look into where the money went in the past. The banks used the money to prop themselves up and to fund writing off toxic assets which is why we saw no inflation.

Read this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15198789

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:09 - Mar 7 with 994 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:06 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

No hints on my thoughts at all. I’ve not really thought too much about the 1% thing. I simply wanted to challenge a view stated by another poster that the country had ‘tons of money’. Is that ok with you?

Of course you're allowed to say it. I don't think it's correct though.

You've not thought about the 1% thing too much? Neither have I to be honest. Instinctively though, I feel it's a slap in the face to the people who saved the PMs life, the same people the country spent all year applauding. Especially when there's plenty of money for pet projects and government contracts for mates.

What's your instinctive take on it?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 21:11]

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:10 - Mar 7 with 992 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Pay attention when MP pay next comes up.

MP pay has gone up 15% in the last decade whilst nurses (and most - probably all - public sector pay) have had real-terms cuts. There is always enough money to pay their own pay rises but never enough for public sector workers.

Boris said he hates the word austerity but it hasn't taken him long to reinstate it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:14 - Mar 7 with 976 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:09 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

You've not thought about the 1% thing too much? Neither have I to be honest. Instinctively though, I feel it's a slap in the face to the people who saved the PMs life, the same people the country spent all year applauding. Especially when there's plenty of money for pet projects and government contracts for mates.

I know you're not asking me but I want to make it clear that 1% is an insult. I'm not suggesting we can't afford more. I'm simply saying the idea we can print unlimited free money with no consequences is not true.

We can easily fund this. The Tories could fund it if they stopped wasting billions of taxpayer money on contracts for their mates. I would also be in favour of a tax rise to pay the front line staff their money. They have carried us all.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:18 - Mar 7 with 961 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:14 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

I know you're not asking me but I want to make it clear that 1% is an insult. I'm not suggesting we can't afford more. I'm simply saying the idea we can print unlimited free money with no consequences is not true.

We can easily fund this. The Tories could fund it if they stopped wasting billions of taxpayer money on contracts for their mates. I would also be in favour of a tax rise to pay the front line staff their money. They have carried us all.

I'm not really trying to get involved with your discussion with the other poster.

I'm asking for clarification on why Paz saw fit to bring up that the country was broke on a thread about the pay rise if not to suggest that was somehow a factor in it. Especially as now he's backtracking and trying to claim he meant it in a completely unrelated way.

It's clearly a lie based on ideology from the government that the country can't afford more than 1%.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 21:20]

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:19 - Mar 7 with 952 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:18 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

I'm not really trying to get involved with your discussion with the other poster.

I'm asking for clarification on why Paz saw fit to bring up that the country was broke on a thread about the pay rise if not to suggest that was somehow a factor in it. Especially as now he's backtracking and trying to claim he meant it in a completely unrelated way.

It's clearly a lie based on ideology from the government that the country can't afford more than 1%.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 21:20]

Fair enough.

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:20 - Mar 7 with 949 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:09 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

My instinct is that 1% is a bit stingy. I am, however, aware that the majority of people, myself included, will be getting 0%.
My gut would be that 1% is too low but some of the double digit figures being bandied around in some quarters are too high.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:22 - Mar 7 with 942 viewsthebooks

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:06 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

QE officially needs to be paid back with interest. It's not free money as you seem to think. Look into where the money went in the past. The banks used the money to prop themselves up and to fund writing off toxic assets which is why we saw no inflation.

Read this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15198789

As I’m sure you’re aware, that interest is literally nearly zero, and the govt. can comfortably afford to pay it back over a long period of time.

This is a long way from us being in a situation where we need to “pay the debt back” through cutting spending and can’t afford to give nurses a 1% pay increase.

I can only say this so many times: QE has been proven not to bring the state down or raise inflation. I do agree there are probably better ways to pump money into the economy, but I expect you’d think they would cause the UK to disintegrate.
The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:27 - Mar 7 with 933 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:20 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

My instinct is that 1% is a bit stingy. I am, however, aware that the majority of people, myself included, will be getting 0%.
My gut would be that 1% is too low but some of the double digit figures being bandied around in some quarters are too high.

Of course, you didn't risk your life for others during a pandemic, so I'm not sure why you think you, or me for that matter as I didnt do anything either, deserve a pay rise.

I presume that, like me, you're a private sector employee. If we have an issue with our pay, and feel that our performance merits a higher level, then we take that opinion to our employer. What a nurse earns in the UK is entirely unrelated to that matter.

I think this is a classic example of knowing the price of something but completely failing to appreciate its value. As pointed out by another poster, these double digit figures are probably not too high when a) you consider the last year and b) that their historical pay rises have been abysmal.

That's obviously all up for debate depending on your ideology. But surely we can agree here Paz, it's a lie from the government for them to say the country can't possibly afford any more?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:28 - Mar 7 with 930 viewsthebooks

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:20 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

Why does the fact you get 0% mean that a nurse shouldn’t get 1, 2, 5 or 15%?
The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:29 - Mar 7 with 928 viewsJ2BLUE

With respect mate I don't get the impression you've been on the front line of the covid fight.

NHS staff are underpaid as it is. After the year we've had they deserve a higher wage.

After my dad's heart attack he had a few scares where he thought it was happening again. One night as we sat up the hospital at 4am one of the nurses said she was nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, after which she needed to get back to Colchester by bus. That has stuck in my mind since then wondering how many others do 12 hour shifts or longer and then need to spend a long time getting home by public transport. I wonder how they've got on during the pandemic.

Our PM and Rishi the Snake stood in Downing Street clapping for the positive press it would get them and now they have put forward 1% knowing it's going to piss off not just the NHS but most of the country as well. They have nothing but contempt for most of us. Some of the money have wasted and some of the money they have given to their mates for nothing has been criminal and now they are crying the coffers are empty.

Where is Matt Hancock's resignation for the NHS that made him tear up in pride?

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:33 - Mar 7 with 911 viewsJ2BLUE

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:22 - Mar 7 by thebooks

As I’m sure you’re aware, that interest is literally nearly zero, and the govt. can comfortably afford to pay it back over a long period of time.

This is a long way from us being in a situation where we need to “pay the debt back” through cutting spending and can’t afford to give nurses a 1% pay increase.

I can only say this so many times: QE has been proven not to bring the state down or raise inflation. I do agree there are probably better ways to pump money into the economy, but I expect you’d think they would cause the UK to disintegrate.

Interest rates are going to stay at nearly zero until there is some sort of change in the financial system because the government couldn't afford to service the debt otherwise.

Sounds like you want to spend now and worry about it later.

I haven't said we can't afford the 1% rise.

I can only reply so many times that it has been 'proven' in recent years because the money went to the banks who used it to write off toxic assets and shore up their balance sheets. It never made it into the wider money supply.

I would expect unlimited free money creation to cause problems yes. Not targeted use of QE. You said we could literally print free money to pay for things and seemed to misunderstand what QE actually is.

Truly impaired.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:35 - Mar 7 with 906 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:28 - Mar 7 by thebooks

It doesn’t. I was just pointing out that there will be pay freezes pretty much across the board for most workers, which is fair enough. As my friend spruce has said I and many others didn’t do anything, nurses did, which is why they deserve a raise

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:37 - Mar 7 with 903 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:29 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

With respect mate I don't get the impression you've been on the front line of the covid fight.

NHS staff are underpaid as it is. After the year we've had they deserve a higher wage.

After my dad's heart attack he had a few scares where he thought it was happening again. One night as we sat up the hospital at 4am one of the nurses said she was nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, after which she needed to get back to Colchester by bus. That has stuck in my mind since then wondering how many others do 12 hour shifts or longer and then need to spend a long time getting home by public transport. I wonder how they've got on during the pandemic.

Our PM and Rishi the Snake stood in Downing Street clapping for the positive press it would get them and now they have put forward 1% knowing it's going to piss off not just the NHS but most of the country as well. They have nothing but contempt for most of us. Some of the money have wasted and some of the money they have given to their mates for nothing has been criminal and now they are crying the coffers are empty.

Where is Matt Hancock's resignation for the NHS that made him tear up in pride?

I haven’t done anything, correct. It was just a lazy way of saying that most people will get pay freezes, which is irrelevant to nurses pay, I will concede.

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:39 - Mar 7 with 897 views26_Paz

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:27 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Of course, you didn't risk your life for others during a pandemic, so I'm not sure why you think you, or me for that matter as I didnt do anything either, deserve a pay rise.

I presume that, like me, you're a private sector employee. If we have an issue with our pay, and feel that our performance merits a higher level, then we take that opinion to our employer. What a nurse earns in the UK is entirely unrelated to that matter.

I think this is a classic example of knowing the price of something but completely failing to appreciate its value. As pointed out by another poster, these double digit figures are probably not too high when a) you consider the last year and b) that their historical pay rises have been abysmal.

That's obviously all up for debate depending on your ideology. But surely we can agree here Paz, it's a lie from the government for them to say the country can't possibly afford any more?

I’m not sure it’s a lie. The country is in a pretty dire position financially. I would think they could find a bit more than 1% though, even if that means making cuts from other parts of public spending

The Paz Man

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:42 - Mar 7 with 882 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:39 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

I’m not sure it’s a lie. The country is in a pretty dire position financially. I would think they could find a bit more than 1% though, even if that means making cuts from other parts of public spending

That sounds a little like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 22:50 - Mar 7 with 849 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 21:28 - Mar 7 by thebooks

I quite certain he had no problem with the public sector pay freeze while the private sector and MPs were getting 1, 2, 5 or 15% either.

His views are to cut taxes for the middle and high earners and cut spending. His views are the very definition of austerity in even greater extreme than this Government.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 23:47 - Mar 7 with 819 viewsTangledupin_Blue

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:28 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

Quick question. Are you expecting the American economy to be crippled later this month when stimulus checks land in mailboxes across the land?

Ahem...

That would be "cheques"...

edit: ...and "letterboxes"...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 23:49]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 00:49 - Mar 8 with 806 viewsSpruceMoose

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 23:47 - Mar 7 by Tangledupin_Blue

Ahem...

That would be "cheques"...

edit: ...and "letterboxes"...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 23:49]

Ha! When they come in GBP and get stuck through my door instead of a box on a post then they can be those things!

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 01:30 - Mar 8 with 786 viewsRyorry

The government is giving workers "as much as we can" in the "toug on 20:05 - Mar 7 by 26_Paz

I don’t have any formal economic qualifications but I do know that you can’t just spend a shed load of money and then just print some more and everything will be ok ...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:06]

Talking of which, and returning to the OP -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024