Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow 09:32 - Mar 12 with 5526 viewsbluelagos

Not going to put details up here but anyone interested pm me and I'll share what I know.

Edit: Pretty sure it's cancelled now.

Fundraiser here
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/reclaimthesestreets
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 8:38]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:42 - Mar 12 with 910 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:37 - Mar 12 by Swansea_Blue

Super important issue. If it's acceptable to open up schools and have people crammed on commuter trains because they have been told they have to be in work, surely we can find a way to try and raise awareness of violence against women?

I do worry about the idiots who don't seem to understand the concept of social distancing and personal space. Also public transport could be a problem. But an outside, socially distanced gathering should be fine based on what we know. Keeping it socially distanced is the challenge.

Absolutely. Which is why it's so disappointing that the police who engaged constructively with the BLM protests in June are this time choosing to go to court to stop a vigil for Sarah.

Why they are taking this route I have no idea, but a vigil will be taking place anyway. So they either engage and help make it as safe as possible or they chose the route they have.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:52 - Mar 12 with 898 viewsSwansea_Blue

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:42 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

Absolutely. Which is why it's so disappointing that the police who engaged constructively with the BLM protests in June are this time choosing to go to court to stop a vigil for Sarah.

Why they are taking this route I have no idea, but a vigil will be taking place anyway. So they either engage and help make it as safe as possible or they chose the route they have.

It does seem unnecessarily heavy handed. It's not a protest and should be very passive and easy to police, shouldn't it? I'm sure they could find a way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:11 - Mar 12 with 874 viewsDecageBruce

Serious question from me, and there are far more informed people on here than me so may be a stupid one.

Jess Phillips stood in parliament and read out the names of 180 women killed in the last year by men. Why has there not been such large scale responses to the majority of these other tragedies?

Is it because their is a Police Officer involved? Is it because of her age/background/appearance?

Not looking for any arguments as I appreciate this feels like a loaded question but I am interested.
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:34 - Mar 12 with 851 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:11 - Mar 12 by DecageBruce

Serious question from me, and there are far more informed people on here than me so may be a stupid one.

Jess Phillips stood in parliament and read out the names of 180 women killed in the last year by men. Why has there not been such large scale responses to the majority of these other tragedies?

Is it because their is a Police Officer involved? Is it because of her age/background/appearance?

Not looking for any arguments as I appreciate this feels like a loaded question but I am interested.

One woman's view.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/sarah-everard-vigil-reclaim-the-night-march-1977-org

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:38 - Mar 12 with 848 viewsvapour_trail

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:11 - Mar 12 by DecageBruce

It’s a good question.

I think there are many factors to this particular case that resonate with an awful lot of young women, and friends and families of young women. They recognise the particular events around what happened to Sarah, because they’re familiar on their own lives.

As a result, it’s subsequently started a much wider conversation on socials.

Most of the women referenced by Jess Phillips - equally tragic - separate circumstances in the main, and most were killed by someone they knew well, such as a partner.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:41 - Mar 12 with 837 viewsPinewoodblue

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:52 - Mar 12 by Swansea_Blue

It does seem unnecessarily heavy handed. It's not a protest and should be very passive and easy to police, shouldn't it? I'm sure they could find a way.

Finding ways around Covid restrictions shouldn’t really be encouraged and it does seem that anyone who does so is breaking a law which is there to protect the majority.

There are lots of things I would like to do, seeing grandchildren, going out for a meal, seeing a game at Portman Road etc. but I can no more do any of those than I can meet others to draw attention to something that really does need sorting.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:46 - Mar 12 with 829 viewsSteve_M

Because many of the others are low-profile, everyday even, escalations of domestic violence. There's hardly even a local press to report that in much of the country these days.

Not many people on here were interested when I posted about that on IWD:

As it's International Women's Day today something for us all to think about by Steve_M 8 Mar 2021 15:03
"Every year, two women a week are murdered by partners or ex-partners in England and Wales alone"

"There was a 34 per cent increase in calls from women logged by Refuge’s National Domestic Abuse Helpline in 2020 compared with 2019."

"Two words came up every time I spoke to anyone about domestic abuse: “control” and “entitlement”."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gq-hype/article/domestic-abuse-lockdown

This is well-written but a thoroughly miserable article because of the subject matter; it's no less important for all that. The prevalence of domestic abuse is high, as the article says it "crosses ethnicity, culture, religion and class" and the impact on the victims is immense and long-lasting.

In this case, the public disappearance, the fact it was in London and the occupation of the suspect all add to the fascination unfortuantely.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:47 - Mar 12 with 828 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:41 - Mar 12 by Pinewoodblue

Finding ways around Covid restrictions shouldn’t really be encouraged and it does seem that anyone who does so is breaking a law which is there to protect the majority.

There are lots of things I would like to do, seeing grandchildren, going out for a meal, seeing a game at Portman Road etc. but I can no more do any of those than I can meet others to draw attention to something that really does need sorting.

They are in court now. I'll go with Lochlinn's view, unless the judge rules otherwise.

[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 16:48]

Login to get fewer ads

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:55 - Mar 12 with 812 viewsfooters

This is a more macro take on it. Essentially, some lives and deaths are more 'news-worthy' than others. There is in general a far higher interest in white women being killed in the Western press. I think someone once put out a table rating the newsworthiness ranked by age, race, nationality and so on, but I can't seem to find it at the minute.

The press lead the country by the nose, and what they want you to know about they will push. It's sexy, it sells. She was young, white - how could this happen? "If it bleeds, it leads."

It's a toxic culture really, but Leveson 2 never came to be and isn't looking likely any time soon.

P.S. I'm obviously not saying it isn't an event worthy of coverage, just answering your point about its prevalance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/09/which-deaths-matter-me
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 16:58]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 17:14 - Mar 12 with 784 viewsbluelagos

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/12/organisers-sarah-everard-vigil-c

From the map attached it looks like there are a fair few vigils planned, including 8 in London. (court case permitting)

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 17:24 - Mar 12 with 757 viewsmikeybloo88

It is a good question...a few years ago not far from me in Hull there was a similar case, that of young student Libby Squire. It was mentioned in the national news but not to the extent of this current incident. There were no national calls for male education, no mass vigils and rallies. But other than differences in the suspects occupations, they were essentially the same crime. Emotions in the population definitely seem to be running high on many issues at the minute..
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 18:17 - Mar 12 with 752 viewsRadlett_blue

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 16:38 - Mar 12 by vapour_trail

It’s a good question.

I think there are many factors to this particular case that resonate with an awful lot of young women, and friends and families of young women. They recognise the particular events around what happened to Sarah, because they’re familiar on their own lives.

As a result, it’s subsequently started a much wider conversation on socials.

Most of the women referenced by Jess Phillips - equally tragic - separate circumstances in the main, and most were killed by someone they knew well, such as a partner.

Exactly. A woman being killed by her partner, while still a tragedy, isn't anything as attention catching as a woman being killed by a stalker. Unsurprisingly, the former is far more common than the latter, but media attention might make you think differently.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 18:26 - Mar 12 with 739 viewsgtsb1966

I've said this on here before and been shot down and expect I'll be shot down again but i think everyone should have their dna taken and recorded. So many murderers and rapists are serial offenders.
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 18:28 - Mar 12 with 734 viewsRadlett_blue

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 18:26 - Mar 12 by gtsb1966

I've said this on here before and been shot down and expect I'll be shot down again but i think everyone should have their dna taken and recorded. So many murderers and rapists are serial offenders.

Not very likely when the civil liberties activities prevented the government from even introducing ID cards.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:10 - Mar 12 with 696 viewsbluelagos

So the high court judge refused to rule the vigil was legal, but didn't rule it illegal. Indeed they stated that "blanket bans on protest" would not be legal.

So talks (between the police and RTS) are apparently on going according to media reports.

So it's not clear at the moment if the protests are banned or not and/or are going ahead or not...

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:21 - Mar 12 with 678 viewsgtsb1966

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:10 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

So the high court judge refused to rule the vigil was legal, but didn't rule it illegal. Indeed they stated that "blanket bans on protest" would not be legal.

So talks (between the police and RTS) are apparently on going according to media reports.

So it's not clear at the moment if the protests are banned or not and/or are going ahead or not...

They should be banned... For now... Full stop
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 19:22]
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:43 - Mar 12 with 651 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:10 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

A bit more clarity on the ruling.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:49 - Mar 12 with 643 viewsgtsb1966

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:43 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

Do you not think it's wrong for any large gathering whilst we are in this situation with covid.
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:57 - Mar 12 with 632 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:49 - Mar 12 by gtsb1966

Do you not think it's wrong for any large gathering whilst we are in this situation with covid.

Not if it is done in a CV secure manner no.

The organisers of the one in Ipswich are giving out masks and doing all they can to ensure social distancing. It is also an outdoor event that is static (unlike a march).

So no, I don't think it is wrong as I don't believe there will be much risk of spreading CV from an outdoor event with such CV aware and responsible organisers.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:59 - Mar 12 with 627 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:57 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

The organisers of the one in Ipswich are giving out masks and doing all they can to ensure social distancing. It is also an outdoor event that is static (unlike a march).

So no, I don't think it is wrong as I don't believe there will be much risk of spreading CV from an outdoor event with such CV aware and responsible organisers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-52951826

This is the drone footage of the BLM protest in June. That was also done in a CV secure way and did not result in any spike of infections.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:00 - Mar 12 with 626 viewsborge

I don't post much on here but I do read a lot and your posts are always thoughtful and of sound reason. This one isn't though.

Your intent is well placed, but it is so wrong to put at risk all the sacrifices everyone has made over the past year. These vigils are clearly very well intentioned but many people (of all genders) are absolutely terrified of COVID for a multitude of reasons. I can't agree that the importance of this outweighs the importance of containing a global pandemic.

If this cause is that important (and it is) then it can wait. If it does I will gladly join, as I am sure will many, many more people. I suspect many more people will support it if it is postponed until lockdown is over.
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:01 - Mar 12 with 622 viewsvapour_trail

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:43 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

Not a great look for the met to be taking this up to the high court.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:03 - Mar 12 with 619 viewsgtsb1966

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 19:57 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

Sorry but we have a situation here where it's all or nothing. You simply cannot deviate from the present rules to suit one cause. Try telling the people sitting at home who are losing ,at least, twenty percent of their income that it's ok for one but not the other.
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:04 - Mar 12 with 616 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:00 - Mar 12 by borge

I don't post much on here but I do read a lot and your posts are always thoughtful and of sound reason. This one isn't though.

Your intent is well placed, but it is so wrong to put at risk all the sacrifices everyone has made over the past year. These vigils are clearly very well intentioned but many people (of all genders) are absolutely terrified of COVID for a multitude of reasons. I can't agree that the importance of this outweighs the importance of containing a global pandemic.

If this cause is that important (and it is) then it can wait. If it does I will gladly join, as I am sure will many, many more people. I suspect many more people will support it if it is postponed until lockdown is over.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as I am mine.

As I literally just posted, the BLM protest in June were organised to minimise CV and am sure these ones (which I think will be far smaller) will be too.

It is possible to gather safely outside and that is exactly what people intend to do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-52951826

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:04 - Mar 12 with 614 viewsvapour_trail

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 20:03 - Mar 12 by gtsb1966

Sorry but we have a situation here where it's all or nothing. You simply cannot deviate from the present rules to suit one cause. Try telling the people sitting at home who are losing ,at least, twenty percent of their income that it's ok for one but not the other.

What about the people sitting at home losing 20% of their income, who will be going out to reclaim the streets tomorrow?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024