Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Germany executing u turns faster than Boris 14:49 - Mar 24 with 2578 viewslongtimefan

That’s quite an achievement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56513366
Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 14:58 - Mar 24 with 2525 viewshype313

It's not just Covid that's contagious then...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:15 - Mar 24 with 2494 viewsBloots

....even the "strictest lockdown" that was originally proposed allowed 5 people to meet up.

They are seeing an average of 13,000 cases a day and 180 deaths.

Allowing a free for all over Easter is madness.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:29 - Mar 24 with 2459 viewsStokieBlue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:15 - Mar 24 by Bloots

....even the "strictest lockdown" that was originally proposed allowed 5 people to meet up.

Indeed.

After their excellent handling of the pandemic at the start with their test and trace, since numbers increased and that failed they have been in a total state of denial.

The UK variant isn't dominant there yet, allowing mixing like this is likely to end badly, especially with only ~10% of adults vaccinated with one shot in Germany.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:45 - Mar 24 with 2423 viewsellerblue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:15 - Mar 24 by Bloots

But a free for all is still happening over easter, i live in Düsseldorf but i cant travel and stay within Germany over the easter period because hotels are shut, but i can catch a flight and go over to Mallorca for the easter period, in fact all flights including extra ones are fully booked , total madness. Mutti has cancelled the proposed lockdown over easter period due to pressure from the church and employers re the thursday is it a public holiday? do i hve to pay my staff? etc etc but the biggest problem would have been food shops closed on Thursday, friday, sunday and monday the only day open would have been saturday and can you imagine the crowds. After initial success the german goverment and states are totally F......king it up re lockdowns and most of all vaccinations, mine is at the moment showing as being in late autumen and i am 70 , but fear not from April Doctors surgeries will be able to offer the vaccine at the great rate of 20 vaccines per week, German efficiency you are having a laugh.

Heinsberg Blue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 16:10 - Mar 24 with 2356 viewsChurchman

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:45 - Mar 24 by ellerblue

But a free for all is still happening over easter, i live in Düsseldorf but i cant travel and stay within Germany over the easter period because hotels are shut, but i can catch a flight and go over to Mallorca for the easter period, in fact all flights including extra ones are fully booked , total madness. Mutti has cancelled the proposed lockdown over easter period due to pressure from the church and employers re the thursday is it a public holiday? do i hve to pay my staff? etc etc but the biggest problem would have been food shops closed on Thursday, friday, sunday and monday the only day open would have been saturday and can you imagine the crowds. After initial success the german goverment and states are totally F......king it up re lockdowns and most of all vaccinations, mine is at the moment showing as being in late autumen and i am 70 , but fear not from April Doctors surgeries will be able to offer the vaccine at the great rate of 20 vaccines per week, German efficiency you are having a laugh.

Thank you for this interesting first hand perspective. I’m golfing next week with a buddy who works for a Bavarian company so I should get a little picture from him as to how things are in that part of Germany..

It is strange that beautiful (well a lot of it anyway) Germany seemed so ‘on it’ last year compared to the rest of Europe and especially the U.K. and now seem to be falling into such a mess. Is it partly because Merkel is old, tired and making mistakes? Is it because it has long borders? A few poor initial decisions like those over vaccine procurement leading to more poor decisions? Many factors I guess.

I hope you get your vaccination sooner than the forecast you have.
I saw the stories about Germans.... on 17:03 - Mar 24 with 2264 viewsBloots

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 15:45 - Mar 24 by ellerblue

....jetting off to Mallorca.

Madness.

When the Germans get something get something so basic, so totally wrong you know we are in a mess.

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 17:09 - Mar 24 with 2246 viewsellerblue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 16:10 - Mar 24 by Churchman

Thank you for this interesting first hand perspective. I’m golfing next week with a buddy who works for a Bavarian company so I should get a little picture from him as to how things are in that part of Germany..

It is strange that beautiful (well a lot of it anyway) Germany seemed so ‘on it’ last year compared to the rest of Europe and especially the U.K. and now seem to be falling into such a mess. Is it partly because Merkel is old, tired and making mistakes? Is it because it has long borders? A few poor initial decisions like those over vaccine procurement leading to more poor decisions? Many factors I guess.

Initially Frau Merkel had all the states agreeing a united response but as time has progressed different states have started doing different lockdown etc and as much as Merkel has tried the nationwide response is now very fractured and as time has progressed the conformity to regulations is not being enforced as in the initial stages. The country has borders to seven other countries with free movement between each which results in a very transient population with much cross border working it is an impossible task to halt this.In regards to the vaccination programme this has been horrific the government instilled in the population a fear of AZ and fiddled about whilst people died, in our state vaccination centres did not start till the 8th Feb and because of the german paranoia regarding personal data it has become a nightmare here you dont register with a doctor you are free to see who you want so there is no central register such as in the NHS and where personal data regarding age is kept it will not be released due to data protection so we had to log into a website with our details and keep checking this to find out when our age group are allowed to apply for the vaccination. The reckoning is that 70 per cent of population will be vaccinated by Sept 2022, it is so frustrating, German people are usually very accepting and do not criticise the government openly but elections are due in Sept and parties are very worried.

Heinsberg Blue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 17:11 - Mar 24 with 2234 viewspointofblue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 16:10 - Mar 24 by Churchman

Think it’s probably public pressure - especially when they’re looking at Britain opening up. States are starting to call the shots and looking more at the economic hit. It’s as though they’re making the same mistakes we were a year ago.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 17:12 - Mar 24 with 2228 viewsStokieBlue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 17:11 - Mar 24 by pointofblue

Think it’s probably public pressure - especially when they’re looking at Britain opening up. States are starting to call the shots and looking more at the economic hit. It’s as though they’re making the same mistakes we were a year ago.

Even with the appalling handling here at the start of the pandemic (and at other points) some European countries could easily come out of this far worse the way things are going.

Even now the UK isn't in the top 10 European countries for excess deaths per capita. It's a real worry what is going on in Europe at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 20:24 - Mar 24 with 2066 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't understand this. If the decision was made for good reasons, but there wasn't time to implement it, surely you just push it back a few days rather than scrap it altogether. Seems very odd.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 20:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 20:32 - Mar 24 with 2051 viewslongtimefan

Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 20:24 - Mar 24 by Swansea_Blue

I don't understand this. If the decision was made for good reasons, but there wasn't time to implement it, surely you just push it back a few days rather than scrap it altogether. Seems very odd.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 20:35]

“ If the decision was made for god reasons”

It was related to the timing of Easter, so yes, definitely God reasons.
Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 20:35 - Mar 24 with 2043 viewsSwansea_Blue

Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 20:32 - Mar 24 by longtimefan

“ If the decision was made for god reasons”

It was related to the timing of Easter, so yes, definitely God reasons.

Oops

God spot, now edited.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Germany executing u turns faster than Boris on 20:39 - Mar 24 with 2023 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

All I have to say is lol to the graph for Turkey in the link!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I saw the stories about Germans.... on 20:42 - Mar 24 with 2008 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I saw the stories about Germans.... on 17:03 - Mar 24 by Bloots

....jetting off to Mallorca.

Madness.

When the Germans get something get something so basic, so totally wrong you know we are in a mess.

Good for beach towel sales though.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 20:46 - Mar 24 with 1992 viewsLord_Lucan

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 17:12 - Mar 24 by StokieBlue

Even with the appalling handling here at the start of the pandemic (and at other points) some European countries could easily come out of this far worse the way things are going.

Even now the UK isn't in the top 10 European countries for excess deaths per capita. It's a real worry what is going on in Europe at the moment.

SB

The thing I like about Merkel (and actually Germany as a rule) is that they are relatively honest. Merkel says that her decision was wrong and she holds her hands up personally

https://www.thelocal.de/20210324/merkel-admits-easter-coronavirus-shutdown-plan-

Whether she is right or wrong though who knows, sometimes there are no rights or wrongs. There are valid cases for strict lockdowns and there are valid cases for ease of lockdowns - what with all that is associated with lockdowns, the upholding of them and the people who are at deaths door anyway who might later be classified as a Covid victim.

Re; your last point, I also wonder why UK PLC haven't made more light of the fact that our excess death are fewer compared to other countries worldwide including those within the EU. If I were head of PR I would be yelling that one out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I think even our governmemt realise.... on 20:54 - Mar 24 with 1971 viewsBloots

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 20:46 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

The thing I like about Merkel (and actually Germany as a rule) is that they are relatively honest. Merkel says that her decision was wrong and she holds her hands up personally

https://www.thelocal.de/20210324/merkel-admits-easter-coronavirus-shutdown-plan-

Whether she is right or wrong though who knows, sometimes there are no rights or wrongs. There are valid cases for strict lockdowns and there are valid cases for ease of lockdowns - what with all that is associated with lockdowns, the upholding of them and the people who are at deaths door anyway who might later be classified as a Covid victim.

Re; your last point, I also wonder why UK PLC haven't made more light of the fact that our excess death are fewer compared to other countries worldwide including those within the EU. If I were head of PR I would be yelling that one out.

....that trying to state that anything is positive will just be viewed as distasteful.

We've often been quoted as having the worst "performance" in the world when it comes to dealing with covid, whereas in reality our death rate is around the 8th worst in Europe.

It's difficult, nearly impossible, to actually measure what has and hasn't happened.

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 21:07 - Mar 24 with 1937 viewsChurchman

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 17:09 - Mar 24 by ellerblue

Initially Frau Merkel had all the states agreeing a united response but as time has progressed different states have started doing different lockdown etc and as much as Merkel has tried the nationwide response is now very fractured and as time has progressed the conformity to regulations is not being enforced as in the initial stages. The country has borders to seven other countries with free movement between each which results in a very transient population with much cross border working it is an impossible task to halt this.In regards to the vaccination programme this has been horrific the government instilled in the population a fear of AZ and fiddled about whilst people died, in our state vaccination centres did not start till the 8th Feb and because of the german paranoia regarding personal data it has become a nightmare here you dont register with a doctor you are free to see who you want so there is no central register such as in the NHS and where personal data regarding age is kept it will not be released due to data protection so we had to log into a website with our details and keep checking this to find out when our age group are allowed to apply for the vaccination. The reckoning is that 70 per cent of population will be vaccinated by Sept 2022, it is so frustrating, German people are usually very accepting and do not criticise the government openly but elections are due in Sept and parties are very worried.

Thank you for that. It’s good to hear what’s really happening rather than the lies and misinformation from the media. Thanks to their nonsense getting accurate info on anything is hard work. Having been across most of those borders and across Germany a few times I do appreciate the scale of what you are talking about with regard to the country. I also know how federal it is which is an advantage in many ways but also poses risks.
I think even our governmemt realise.... on 21:21 - Mar 24 with 1903 viewsLord_Lucan

I think even our governmemt realise.... on 20:54 - Mar 24 by Bloots

....that trying to state that anything is positive will just be viewed as distasteful.

We've often been quoted as having the worst "performance" in the world when it comes to dealing with covid, whereas in reality our death rate is around the 8th worst in Europe.

It's difficult, nearly impossible, to actually measure what has and hasn't happened.

I agree and disagree.

I think our jab success has been overplayed with regards to media hammering. When I hear ministers use this positive so much it kind of leaves me a bit cold.

I'm not saying that it isn't remarkable, I'm just saying that it's not always best to "Look at me". The coolest kinds are the understated kids - everyone should learn that lesson early on in life.

So I'm not saying we should go full nuclear on the excess deaths thing but (and I'm sorry but I do tend to look at most things in life through PR and marketing) we should drop that bomb in now and again.

I agree entirely with your last sentence. We still know diddly squat to a degree and I'm not sure we will ever know for a long time.

One day Cheltenham was a disaster and later on we are told that it really wasn't significant. The next day we have to be careful of surfaces that we touch and then we are told that they weren't as significant as first thought.

Then we thought we had a handle on everything and new strains scuppered that.

A few months back everyone was questioning why we ever went to work in offices because it was cheaper and more productive to work from home.

And now every office type worker is going mad.

We now think we can see the light because of the vaccines but we haven't encountered "Strain Motherfücker" yet
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 21:28]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 21:26 - Mar 24 with 1880 viewsellerblue

Terrible decision from Merkel..... on 21:07 - Mar 24 by Churchman

Thank you for that. It’s good to hear what’s really happening rather than the lies and misinformation from the media. Thanks to their nonsense getting accurate info on anything is hard work. Having been across most of those borders and across Germany a few times I do appreciate the scale of what you are talking about with regard to the country. I also know how federal it is which is an advantage in many ways but also poses risks.

Just read on deutche welt they are thinking of stopping foreign holidays. If you type in dw.com and tap germany you will see german reporting of today's events

Heinsberg Blue

We've found the Indian... on 21:33 - Mar 24 with 1845 viewsBloots

I think even our governmemt realise.... on 21:21 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

I agree and disagree.

I think our jab success has been overplayed with regards to media hammering. When I hear ministers use this positive so much it kind of leaves me a bit cold.

I'm not saying that it isn't remarkable, I'm just saying that it's not always best to "Look at me". The coolest kinds are the understated kids - everyone should learn that lesson early on in life.

So I'm not saying we should go full nuclear on the excess deaths thing but (and I'm sorry but I do tend to look at most things in life through PR and marketing) we should drop that bomb in now and again.

I agree entirely with your last sentence. We still know diddly squat to a degree and I'm not sure we will ever know for a long time.

One day Cheltenham was a disaster and later on we are told that it really wasn't significant. The next day we have to be careful of surfaces that we touch and then we are told that they weren't as significant as first thought.

Then we thought we had a handle on everything and new strains scuppered that.

A few months back everyone was questioning why we ever went to work in offices because it was cheaper and more productive to work from home.

And now every office type worker is going mad.

We now think we can see the light because of the vaccines but we haven't encountered "Strain Motherfücker" yet
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 21:28]

....double mutant though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56507988

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024