Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holidays in the UK - Dorset 07:46 - Mar 31 with 1566 viewsLesta_Tractor

Got an Airbnb booked near Cerne Abbas, any tips for places to go and things to do?

Planning to see the Giant and a day around the Lulworth area

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 11:52 - Mar 31 with 1449 viewsEatonBlue

Swanage - old fashioned seaside town with heritage railway - good cliff-top walks.
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 11:56 - Mar 31 with 1436 viewsStokieBlue

Fossil hunting surely?

Lulworth cover and Durdle Door are lovely but will be totally rammed I expect.

There is a Fawlty Towersesque hotel on Lulworth Cove which is quite amusing. Whilst I was there the owner/chef kept coming in the bar and getting more wine and then throwing wine glasses against the wall. Later he came along and insulted the guests.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 11:59 - Mar 31 with 1432 viewsMookamoo

Head down to the Jurassic coast/Lyme Regis way and go fossil hunting.

Its that same feeling of anticipation when opening a Panini sticker pack and getting a shiny badge, but you get an ammonite.
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:28 - Mar 31 with 1395 viewsSteve_M

Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door are nice but will be crowded, depending on fitness of the party walking that whole stretch of coastline is a stretching walk and much more pleasant than the tourist hotspots. We stayed at Ringstead which is a few miles along the coast.

Also Corfe Castle is nice, a few decent looking pubs in the village too. I liked the Tank Museum but that might not be for everyone. There's Portland Bill too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:33 - Mar 31 with 1387 viewsbristolblue

I live a couple of miles from Cerne Abbas now. The brewery in the village is brilliant - they’ve got some great beers in there. Loads of nice country walls between there and Dorchester. Loads of great pubs too. Happy to give you some more suggestions if you want.
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:35 - Mar 31 with 1384 viewsMookamoo

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:28 - Mar 31 by Steve_M

Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door are nice but will be crowded, depending on fitness of the party walking that whole stretch of coastline is a stretching walk and much more pleasant than the tourist hotspots. We stayed at Ringstead which is a few miles along the coast.

Also Corfe Castle is nice, a few decent looking pubs in the village too. I liked the Tank Museum but that might not be for everyone. There's Portland Bill too.

We've walked from the Smugglers Inn to Durdle Door. Beautiful part of the country - loads of unusual butterflies and slow worms. Its a bit uppy-downy so you feel it, but you avoid the car park and the path down to Durdle Door which is normally heaving.
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:40 - Mar 31 with 1374 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 11:52 - Mar 31 by EatonBlue

Swanage - old fashioned seaside town with heritage railway - good cliff-top walks.

Second that. Branksome Chine is a nice spot next to Bournemouth to sit on the beach if the weather is favourable, and has a nice restaurant.
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 13:56 - Mar 31 with 1324 viewsLesta_Tractor

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:33 - Mar 31 by bristolblue

I live a couple of miles from Cerne Abbas now. The brewery in the village is brilliant - they’ve got some great beers in there. Loads of nice country walls between there and Dorchester. Loads of great pubs too. Happy to give you some more suggestions if you want.

Thanks all, lots of ideas there...

Would love some suggestions on decent walks near Cerne Abbas

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Login to get fewer ads

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 14:14 - Mar 31 with 1313 viewschicoazul

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 11:56 - Mar 31 by StokieBlue

Fossil hunting surely?

Lulworth cover and Durdle Door are lovely but will be totally rammed I expect.

There is a Fawlty Towersesque hotel on Lulworth Cove which is quite amusing. Whilst I was there the owner/chef kept coming in the bar and getting more wine and then throwing wine glasses against the wall. Later he came along and insulted the guests.

SB

Everywhere is going to be rammed this summer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 14:21 - Mar 31 with 1305 viewsSteve_M

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 12:35 - Mar 31 by Mookamoo

We've walked from the Smugglers Inn to Durdle Door. Beautiful part of the country - loads of unusual butterflies and slow worms. Its a bit uppy-downy so you feel it, but you avoid the car park and the path down to Durdle Door which is normally heaving.

Yes, far more undulation that I was expecting and a couple of fairly steep sections - Swyre Head and Bats Head - that made it a little more than a relaxing Sunday morning walk. It's stunning though isn't it?

https://www.coastingbritannia.co.uk/lulworth-cove-wykes-regis-dorset

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 15:57 - Mar 31 with 1220 viewsfactual_blue

Lulworth Castle (if open) is worth a visit. Corfe Castle even more so. There's a steam railway at Corfe as well.

We had a nice meal at The Wimborne Pig. Again worth a visit, if open.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 16:24 - Mar 31 with 1207 viewsunstableblue

If your more East Devon then the coast walks around Swanage and as someone said Corfe Castle are really good.

The Square and Compass at Worth Matravers is quirky, with a fossil museum, simple food and sometimes music on... but has become quite an attraction

Nearby is the Scott Arms in Kingston which is a good pub, nice garden, good food

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 16:27 - Mar 31 with 1205 viewsbristolblue

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 13:56 - Mar 31 by Lesta_Tractor

Thanks all, lots of ideas there...

Would love some suggestions on decent walks near Cerne Abbas

https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/sport-leisure/walking/documents/cernevalleyleaf
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 16:44 - Mar 31 with 1187 viewsMedwayTractor

Be prepared for crowds & unusually unfriendly locals.

One of my wife's cousins farms on the Isle of Purbeck. His comments are unprintable about non-locals en masse where they shouldn't be.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 22:48 - Mar 31 with 1111 viewsthecheek

There's a village not too far away called Milton Abbas. It's "main road" if you can call it that is probably the prettiest street I've ever seen. Has a decent pub on it too.

https://www.dorsetaonb.org.uk/location/milton-abbas/
[Post edited 31 Mar 2021 22:49]
Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 23:36 - Mar 31 with 1082 viewsMVBlue

monkeyworld

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Holidays in the UK - Dorset on 10:47 - Apr 1 with 993 viewsfarkenhell

Do the coastal drive from Weymouth to Bridport. Beautiful scenery. Stop off at Abbotsbury and visit the swannery if it's open. Fossil hunting from West Bay - I think you can book a guide at the TIC who will show you the ropes at a very reasonable price - again if its open. If you can stomach the drive to Portland, drive to the top of the hill and have lunch/drink at the Portland heights hotel - fantastic views over the coast and Chesil Beach. If you do go to Weymouth, don't miss the harbour just around the corner from the beach - but be warned parking can be a nightmare in Weymouth.

Milton Abbas, as someone else mentioned, is very picturesque. Also Corfe Castle - you can get the steam train from Swanage to Corfe . And Studland for some nuddy bathing!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024