Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Populism and Covid 23:28 - Apr 6 with 1011 viewsStokieBlue

Covid has really highlighted the dangerousness of populism as a political paradigm. The top 3 countries for deaths (USA, Mexico and Brazil) all have (had) populist presidents who downplayed the virus and refused to take the steps required and it's directly caused huge numbers of deaths.

Even now, more than a year into the pandemic Bolsonaro still insists on playing it down. There were 4195 deaths in Brazil today, they are struggling terribly with the new variant and will probably overtake the US weekly average for deaths in the next few days.

To this he says:

"In which country aren’t people dying?"

He's still resisting the implementation of a national lockdown. It's tragic, one would like to think that people will learn from this but I'm not that hopeful.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Populism and Covid on 23:49 - Apr 6 with 961 viewsfactual_blue

I found this a salutary reminder about health, covid and what's generally wrong.

Not directly about populism, but....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyKOnk6XIAEZway?format=jpg&name=large

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Populism and Covid on 07:31 - Apr 7 with 824 viewsChurchman

I am not hopeful either. The situation in Brazil and Mexico is far worse than the published figures (The Guardian in particular has focussed on these countries), yet their leaders are in complete denial, just as Trump was. It’s the people and their families that pay the ultimate price, yet the last people to care will be Bolsonaro and Obrador. The same applies to Trump. Scum of the earth.

On a wider note, I think when the story of the pandemic is written, few key politicians around the world are going to come out with any credit. If ever a problem required a collective response, it’s this but we are further away than ever from that. Shame on them.
Populism and Covid on 08:20 - Apr 7 with 786 viewsPendejo

In Latin America life is cheap and corruption rife, hence why migrant "trains" head toward USA heading, they believe, for a better safer life.

Maldonado is the embodiment of the rich not giving a duck about anybody other than themselves. He had covid didn't he? But like Trump and Johnson survived because he had access to excellent health care, in top of having lived a privileged life.

As I understand it, covid was called the middle class disease in Brazil as it was brought in by someone rich enough to holiday overseas who passed it on to their domestic staff and it spread from their. The middle class generally survive, their staff not so lucky... But are easily replaced.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Populism and Covid on 08:26 - Apr 7 with 774 viewsStokieBlue

Populism and Covid on 08:20 - Apr 7 by Pendejo

In Latin America life is cheap and corruption rife, hence why migrant "trains" head toward USA heading, they believe, for a better safer life.

Maldonado is the embodiment of the rich not giving a duck about anybody other than themselves. He had covid didn't he? But like Trump and Johnson survived because he had access to excellent health care, in top of having lived a privileged life.

As I understand it, covid was called the middle class disease in Brazil as it was brought in by someone rich enough to holiday overseas who passed it on to their domestic staff and it spread from their. The middle class generally survive, their staff not so lucky... But are easily replaced.

I would think that your final paragraph is pretty hard to prove. There are hundreds of flights into Brazil each day and thus it could just as easily been passed on by a tourist or someone working at the airport.

However calling it the "middle class disease" fits absolutely into the populist narrative which is probably why it's being called that. Bolsonaro would have pushed a title like that from the beginning because it suits exactly what he pushes and what he wants people to believe.

SB

Populism and Covid on 09:28 - Apr 7 with 719 viewsPendejo

Populism and Covid on 08:26 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

I would think that your final paragraph is pretty hard to prove. There are hundreds of flights into Brazil each day and thus it could just as easily been passed on by a tourist or someone working at the airport.

However calling it the "middle class disease" fits absolutely into the populist narrative which is probably why it's being called that. Bolsonaro would have pushed a title like that from the beginning because it suits exactly what he pushes and what he wants people to believe.

SB

Pretty sure saw that on BBC sometime last year, but that doesn't mean it doesn't come from Bolsonaro.

Have had a quick look back but can't find the article.

As for populist, I guess it depends on the election cycle in comparison with the economy, the public may forgive and forget one of the worst final outcomes... But if it is perceived he fiddled while Brazilians died, he's not gonna be popular.

uberima fides

Populism and Covid on 09:31 - Apr 7 with 710 viewsHerbivore

For much of the pandemic we've been right up there as well in terms of death rate. Populism for the win!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Populism and Covid on 09:34 - Apr 7 with 698 viewsfooters

Populism and Covid on 09:31 - Apr 7 by Herbivore

For much of the pandemic we've been right up there as well in terms of death rate. Populism for the win!

"It's inevitable that people will die."

"Take it on the chin."

Keep voting Tory, guys!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Populism and Covid on 09:35 - Apr 7 with 695 viewsPendejo

Populism and Covid on 09:28 - Apr 7 by Pendejo

Pretty sure saw that on BBC sometime last year, but that doesn't mean it doesn't come from Bolsonaro.

Have had a quick look back but can't find the article.

As for populist, I guess it depends on the election cycle in comparison with the economy, the public may forgive and forget one of the worst final outcomes... But if it is perceived he fiddled while Brazilians died, he's not gonna be popular.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/first-coronavirus-case-latin-america-confirme

First case in Brazil came from 61 year old who had made a two week business trip to Italy

uberima fides

Login to get fewer ads

Populism and Covid on 09:38 - Apr 7 with 686 viewsStokieBlue

Populism and Covid on 09:35 - Apr 7 by Pendejo

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/first-coronavirus-case-latin-america-confirme

First case in Brazil came from 61 year old who had made a two week business trip to Italy

First known case. It's almost impossible to find the first case in a country as large as Brazil with a huge population. It's even harder when previous cases could have been asymptomatic and passing it on without knowing. There could have been loads other vectors before that.

However citing someone like that fits into Bolsonaros narrative perfectly.

It could be he was the first case but that still doesn't make it a middle class disease, especially given he wants a booming economy and is prioritising that over the deaths in his country.

He's an awful human being.

SB

Populism and Covid on 09:41 - Apr 7 with 668 viewsStokieBlue

Populism and Covid on 09:31 - Apr 7 by Herbivore

Totally agree and thought about including us in the OP but I felt that at least we have had SAGE and whilst there has been many, many mistakes they have eventually been listened to.

Trump, Bolsonaro and Obrador haven't taken any scientific advice at all and continue to not do so. Brazil hasn't had a proper lockdown. When the excess deaths figures are released from there (if they ever are) it's going to be horrific and far higher than anywhere else.

With regards to our death rate, this is actually quite debatable (and this is no defence of the government). When you remove the differences in ascribing what is and isn't a C19 death by using just the excess deaths data then the UK isn't even in the top 10 per capita in Europe for death rate.

SB

Populism and Covid on 09:45 - Apr 7 with 659 viewswkj

Populism and Covid on 09:34 - Apr 7 by footers

"It's inevitable that people will die."

"Take it on the chin."

Keep voting Tory, guys!

And people will keep voting Tory because the misconceptions of the brown people coming over and getting handed houses and benefits from day one is MUCH more important than this government encouraging people to put themselves in harms way with EatOutToHelpOut and other such decisions that ignored scientific advice.

Also, funny how piss poor management of a global pandemic will have cost more lives in the UK than the combined number of lives lost from terrorist attacks in the UK... yet once the vaccine is fully deployed - the clowns will be seen as heroes.

Let that one sink in.

P.S. Not saying counter terrorism isn't important, it is.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 9:47]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Populism and Covid on 09:49 - Apr 7 with 644 viewsStokieBlue

Populism and Covid on 09:45 - Apr 7 by wkj

And people will keep voting Tory because the misconceptions of the brown people coming over and getting handed houses and benefits from day one is MUCH more important than this government encouraging people to put themselves in harms way with EatOutToHelpOut and other such decisions that ignored scientific advice.

Also, funny how piss poor management of a global pandemic will have cost more lives in the UK than the combined number of lives lost from terrorist attacks in the UK... yet once the vaccine is fully deployed - the clowns will be seen as heroes.

Let that one sink in.

"Also, funny how piss poor management of a global pandemic will have cost more lives in the UK than the combined number of lives lost from terrorist attacks in the UK."

To be fair though, that is the same in nearly every country. For instance, on some days in the US more people died of C19 than in 9/11.

Totally agree that the Tories shouldn't get away with their antics from the start of the pandemic, hopefully they won't but at the moment it's probably too early to expect the masses to have soaked it all in and processed it. It's important it's not forgotten though.

SB

Populism and Covid on 09:49 - Apr 7 with 641 viewsfooters

Populism and Covid on 09:45 - Apr 7 by wkj

Let that one sink in.

Counter-terrorism is an extremely dangerous offence. Thankfully we have a Home Secretary who's on point in tackling it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Populism and Covid on 09:54 - Apr 7 with 624 viewswkj

Populism and Covid on 09:49 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

"Also, funny how piss poor management of a global pandemic will have cost more lives in the UK than the combined number of lives lost from terrorist attacks in the UK."

To be fair though, that is the same in nearly every country. For instance, on some days in the US more people died of C19 than in 9/11.

Totally agree that the Tories shouldn't get away with their antics from the start of the pandemic, hopefully they won't but at the moment it's probably too early to expect the masses to have soaked it all in and processed it. It's important it's not forgotten though.

SB

The sickening thing is.. I don't even see this as a Tory government. I see it as the lunatic back bench government. I am no Tory voter at all, but May and her cabinet would have handled this crisis way more effectively and collaboratively.

I am not blaming the outcome of 'brexit' but rather the process of it - such a prolonged ignorance toward domestic policy (MPs and Civilians) because we wanted the end of the brexit saga more - has lead us toward a government unable to direct domestic policy efficiently when we need it the most.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Populism and Covid on 10:17 - Apr 7 with 594 viewsPinewoodblue

Populism and Covid on 09:54 - Apr 7 by wkj

The sickening thing is.. I don't even see this as a Tory government. I see it as the lunatic back bench government. I am no Tory voter at all, but May and her cabinet would have handled this crisis way more effectively and collaboratively.

I am not blaming the outcome of 'brexit' but rather the process of it - such a prolonged ignorance toward domestic policy (MPs and Civilians) because we wanted the end of the brexit saga more - has lead us toward a government unable to direct domestic policy efficiently when we need it the most.

Maybe but I doubt they would have chucked the money around as easily as Boris and co.

By funding research into vaccines, we gained a head start on vaccine distribution. The EU, for example, now admit they were, for financial reasons, too cautious with regards to vaccine development.

Think it also worth remembering that in the early days it was considered safe to move people out of hospitals without testing them. This wasn’t a political decision it followed the science.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024