Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you don't believe players down tools 07:48 - Apr 21 with 2420 viewsBobbychase

Norwich City

13-match unbeaten run when fighting for promotion, including one game where they scored seven goals. They (unfortunately) steamrollered everybody.

Promotion assured, they lose the next two.

Nobody wants to be sitting on a beach in Dubai with their WAG with a leg in plaster.

Job done, ease off.

Our shower are the same in a way. Almost all of them know they won't be here next season so why get injured or bust a gut in a cause you no longer believe in?

Which is shameful but that's the sport we support.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

If you don't believe players down tools on 09:21 - Apr 21 with 496 viewsjayessess

If you don't believe players down tools on 09:09 - Apr 21 by Bobbychase

It's not an "easy" explanation. It's infuriating. But I've watched every game this season and that's what I see. They do just enough to appear to be trying, but not enough to get results.

88 minutes last night, Northampton concede a corner. Their players are up in arms, surround the ref, they're livid. They think it came off a Town player. That's when 3-0 up and coasting to victory. That's caring.

When was the last time you ever saw our lot get worked up about anything.

Our players bemoan decisions against us constantly?

Concluding that effort is the problem makes it easier for you to hate the players and take your frustration out on them. That they're all mentally and physically beaten, that this is the best they can do, is too sympathetic and doesn't serve our need for someone to blame well enough.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If you don't believe players down tools on 09:25 - Apr 21 with 494 viewsjayessess

If you don't believe players down tools on 09:21 - Apr 21 by Bobbychase

I think they don't care. Players who care fill the air with curses when they get a simple pass wrong, or bawl out team-mates who give them a hospital pass.

I don't see any of that from our players now.

If you don't see our players berating themselves and each other in game after game then it's simply because you aren't looking for it. Watch after any of yesterday's goals and you'll see players screaming, punching the air in frustration.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If you don't believe players down tools on 09:29 - Apr 21 with 490 viewstractorboy1978

If you don't believe players down tools on 08:49 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

I think the players have had a tough time of things this year, I know they won't get any sympathy.

Lambert literally ignored them for months, they were ignored through covid - the manager spoke to the players 2 times in the extended March to July break. These were on calls arranged by the fitness coach.

From what I understand there wasn't a proper conditioning programme put in place, they were given spin bikes and basically told to keep themselves fit.

Most of Hurst's signings were signed on very low Championship wages when they signed, which were then subsequently cut in half so became big disparities in squad on who earns what - and players like Jackson who had interest from Bournemouth for a 7 figure fee is on a couple of grand a week, getting offered rubbish new contracts, and played (or not played) in a formation that doesn't suit him and just wasting a year of his career.

I've heard via one player that when PL was in charge it was the worse club he's ever been at, I mentioned this to someone else, they said they'd heard the same from someone else but realisticaly it couild have been from anyone

Lambert walked round the training ground, quite literally, not speaking to the players, no relationship with them at all then would do things like drag senior players along on away trips and then whe the team was put up on the projector they'd see they aren't playing and have to sit in stands before heading back on the subs bus with no one speaking to them to explain why.

The moral and spirit had been beaten out of these players by the previous regime, I think for those of any knowledge of the camp, the fact that when Gill and Walker effectively took over things seemed to turn quite quickly gave us hope that that was all it needed, and someone with the positivity of Cook as well as the great track record would be able to push us forwards to the play offs (even if we'd have likely lost)

But it was obviously far too far gone, and whatever Cook has tried to do hasn't worked. The change should have been made so much earlier though. Cook should have had the window to bring in 4 of his guys and it may have worked.

I don't like all this hating on the players now, that it is totally their fault, they've been brow beaten into submission by terrible ownership and terrible management, they've had to keep themselves going for months on end and keeping us in with a shot - the change hasn't worked, the manager will deservedly get time based on track record, but some of these players will still be here and we'll need to get more out of them next year

Agree with most of that. However would add the position we are in is far more their fault than Paul Cook's fault. He went into that training ground full of energy, excitement and ready to give a clean slate and none of them (except a couple of obvious ones) stepped up, delivered or showed they want to be here next year.

As you say, they are mentally done. And on top of that will now be more concerned about where their future lies next season. Hopefully the clean sweep over the summer and fresh voices coming in can re-invigorate the few that do remain here.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 9:32]
If you don't believe players down tools on 09:32 - Apr 21 with 478 viewsBobbychase

If you don't believe players down tools on 09:25 - Apr 21 by jayessess

If you don't see our players berating themselves and each other in game after game then it's simply because you aren't looking for it. Watch after any of yesterday's goals and you'll see players screaming, punching the air in frustration.

If it happens, it is similar to everything else they do. It's half hearted

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

If you don't believe players down tools on 11:21 - Apr 21 with 434 viewsBlueBadger

If you don't believe players down tools on 08:49 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

I think the players have had a tough time of things this year, I know they won't get any sympathy.

Lambert literally ignored them for months, they were ignored through covid - the manager spoke to the players 2 times in the extended March to July break. These were on calls arranged by the fitness coach.

From what I understand there wasn't a proper conditioning programme put in place, they were given spin bikes and basically told to keep themselves fit.

Most of Hurst's signings were signed on very low Championship wages when they signed, which were then subsequently cut in half so became big disparities in squad on who earns what - and players like Jackson who had interest from Bournemouth for a 7 figure fee is on a couple of grand a week, getting offered rubbish new contracts, and played (or not played) in a formation that doesn't suit him and just wasting a year of his career.

I've heard via one player that when PL was in charge it was the worse club he's ever been at, I mentioned this to someone else, they said they'd heard the same from someone else but realisticaly it couild have been from anyone

Lambert walked round the training ground, quite literally, not speaking to the players, no relationship with them at all then would do things like drag senior players along on away trips and then whe the team was put up on the projector they'd see they aren't playing and have to sit in stands before heading back on the subs bus with no one speaking to them to explain why.

The moral and spirit had been beaten out of these players by the previous regime, I think for those of any knowledge of the camp, the fact that when Gill and Walker effectively took over things seemed to turn quite quickly gave us hope that that was all it needed, and someone with the positivity of Cook as well as the great track record would be able to push us forwards to the play offs (even if we'd have likely lost)

But it was obviously far too far gone, and whatever Cook has tried to do hasn't worked. The change should have been made so much earlier though. Cook should have had the window to bring in 4 of his guys and it may have worked.

I don't like all this hating on the players now, that it is totally their fault, they've been brow beaten into submission by terrible ownership and terrible management, they've had to keep themselves going for months on end and keeping us in with a shot - the change hasn't worked, the manager will deservedly get time based on track record, but some of these players will still be here and we'll need to get more out of them next year

It smacks of a handy PR device at times, I have to say.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If you don't believe players down tools on 12:46 - Apr 21 with 405 views3_5_2

So you are comparing a team who have won promotion to the PL by a comfortable margin, to a bunch of tossers who have not laid a glove on anyone in weeks, in League 1?

There is enough bad news around our team already without having the need to go looking for something that is not there

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

If you don't believe players down tools on 13:45 - Apr 21 with 386 viewschrismakin

I maybe wrong, but I thought i read that they were missing 3/4 players like Pukki

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024