Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! 23:26 - Apr 21 with 2238 viewsunstableblue

We finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd in the Premier League, we won the UEFA cup when it was basically the runners up of all the major leagues... we had the Dutch duo, 5 or 6 England regulars, Portman Road rammed and rocking

I’m just old enough to remember flashes of it

But I just thought those star players... in 78/79 season when we finished 6th in the top flight and that new guard started transitioning and taking over from the older guard

Butcher was 19
Osman 19
Burley 22
Wark 20
Gates 23
Brazil 19!!!

They were performing to a very very high standard week in week out, some in only their first full season.

Such a contrast to our current inconsistent and limp crop

Also if interest is that we had proven pedigree, seasoned internationals in:

Mills, 29
Muhren, 27
Thijssen, 26
Mariner, 25

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 00:20 - Apr 22 with 2150 viewsBlueBadger

Probably worth pointing out that a crop of young players like that is generally a once-a-generation thing.

There's been very few Man Utd youth team players of note since Scoles, Beckham, et al that all made up a team at one point.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:23 - Apr 22 with 1955 viewsChurchman

Our scouting was great in those days and the north / Scotland were a good source of players.

Robson rarely failed in the transfer market and didn’t sign that many players. Even ones who were a bit second rate (Rod Belfitt and Frank Clarke for example) did a job for a while. In 78, Bobby Robson was still only 45 and had been manager 8 or 9 years.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:27 - Apr 22 with 1945 viewstractor_lady

You forgot the Beat!
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:38 - Apr 22 with 1914 viewsGeoffSentence

Premier League!

You can't be old enought to remember that it was the First Division back then.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:46 - Apr 22 with 1887 viewsunstableblue

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:38 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

Premier League!

You can't be old enought to remember that it was the First Division back then.

Of course I knew it was Div. 1, I was on a milk crate in the lower churchmans with my dad. Watching us thrash Man U and Liverpool

I tend to use Premier League to emphasise how high the club were in the pecking order

Jeeze you had people in the North supporting Ipswich

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:50 - Apr 22 with 1879 viewsunstableblue

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:27 - Apr 22 by tractor_lady

You forgot the Beat!

Hadn’t forgotten him, and he was also young, but he was making handfuls of appearances- 7 in 80/81 compared to butchers 40

But yes he was definitely a young player able to step up as a reliable premier league quality player at a young age

Shame of the injuries

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:56 - Apr 22 with 1862 viewsunstableblue

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 00:20 - Apr 22 by BlueBadger

Probably worth pointing out that a crop of young players like that is generally a once-a-generation thing.

There's been very few Man Utd youth team players of note since Scoles, Beckham, et al that all made up a team at one point.

I suppose a different level of quality,,, but picking up my point about young players coming into the first team and playing consistently and to a high standard - being reliably good

Unlike our current batch (so disappointed in Downes last few games)

Wright, scowcroft, naylor, then dyer, bramble, ambrose, bent ... all performed consistently in premier league / top of championship....

Take Mings... relatively young... first team regular....

All the above had character I think

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 07:58 - Apr 22 with 1852 viewsmikeybloo88

At the time I didn't think we could lose players like Beattie, Hunter, Talbot, Whymark and Woods over essentially the course of a season and move so seamlessly to being the great team we were. Testimony to just how good Sir Bobby, and all those players, were...a far cry indeed from the shower we've got now.
Login to get fewer ads

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:19 - Apr 22 with 1834 viewsPJH

In 1978/79 Brazil was not an established first team player, 14 starts and 5 subs in the League and nor were Gates and Butcher in as much as they played in about 50% of the games.

Butcher basically played when Beattie did not, which regrettable from The Beat's point of view was quite often.

There was certainly a wonderful crop of young players that came through from the early to mid 1970's there though.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:35 - Apr 22 with 1805 viewsChurchman

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:19 - Apr 22 by PJH

In 1978/79 Brazil was not an established first team player, 14 starts and 5 subs in the League and nor were Gates and Butcher in as much as they played in about 50% of the games.

Butcher basically played when Beattie did not, which regrettable from The Beat's point of view was quite often.

There was certainly a wonderful crop of young players that came through from the early to mid 1970's there though.

Mid 70s saw Brian Talbot emerge too. A real box to box player. Not the best passer, couldn’t head, goal scoring wasn’t his strongest attribute, but not what an important player he became. A sort of 1970s Kante. I was sad when he left for Arsenal but that paved the way for a change of style with the Dutchmen so we got the best end of it really.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:41 - Apr 22 with 1793 viewsPJH

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:35 - Apr 22 by Churchman

Mid 70s saw Brian Talbot emerge too. A real box to box player. Not the best passer, couldn’t head, goal scoring wasn’t his strongest attribute, but not what an important player he became. A sort of 1970s Kante. I was sad when he left for Arsenal but that paved the way for a change of style with the Dutchmen so we got the best end of it really.

Yes, we won the F.A. Youth Cup in 1973 and 1975 and several from those two sides went on to be top players. It is strange that our more recent F.A. Youth Cup win did not have the same success with producing outstanding players.

Brian Talbot came through slightly before that 1973 Youth Cup winning team though.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 09:03 - Apr 22 with 1761 viewsRadlett_blue

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:41 - Apr 22 by PJH

Yes, we won the F.A. Youth Cup in 1973 and 1975 and several from those two sides went on to be top players. It is strange that our more recent F.A. Youth Cup win did not have the same success with producing outstanding players.

Brian Talbot came through slightly before that 1973 Youth Cup winning team though.

1. football is now a global game & English clubs trawl the global markets.
2. In the old days, Town recruited youth players from all over Britain, notably Scotland & the North East. Now, we are restricted to local players. We are also Category 2 so our best prospects get poached.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 09:17 - Apr 22 with 1743 viewsPJH

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 09:03 - Apr 22 by Radlett_blue

1. football is now a global game & English clubs trawl the global markets.
2. In the old days, Town recruited youth players from all over Britain, notably Scotland & the North East. Now, we are restricted to local players. We are also Category 2 so our best prospects get poached.

That is all true, we did quite well out of the North West too with The Beat, David Geddis, Steve McCall and Robin Turner all coming from Carlisle.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:23 - Apr 22 with 1689 viewsblueislander

Mariner was not a seasoned international when he joined us from Plymouth.At the time it was something of a punt.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:45 - Apr 22 with 1652 viewsChurchman

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:23 - Apr 22 by blueislander

Mariner was not a seasoned international when he joined us from Plymouth.At the time it was something of a punt.

It didn’t feel a punt at the time. His exploits and abilities at Plymouth were well known. I just hoped he’d be as good as David Johnson. West Ham were also after him. I think the fee was £200k. What a player he turned out to be.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:48 - Apr 22 with 1649 viewsblueislander

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:45 - Apr 22 by Churchman

It didn’t feel a punt at the time. His exploits and abilities at Plymouth were well known. I just hoped he’d be as good as David Johnson. West Ham were also after him. I think the fee was £200k. What a player he turned out to be.

I am pretty sure that it was the highest fee we had ever paid when we signed him. It was a big step up from Plymouth to Town , but he proved that the gamble was a good one.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:52 - Apr 22 with 1641 viewsitfcjoe

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:48 - Apr 22 by blueislander

I am pretty sure that it was the highest fee we had ever paid when we signed him. It was a big step up from Plymouth to Town , but he proved that the gamble was a good one.

RObson broke our transfer record 6 times in his 13 years here....

Frank Clarke - £40k
Jummy Robertson - £54k
Allan Hunter - £60k
David Johnson - £100k
Paul Mariner - £220k
Kevin O'Callaghan - £250k

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 11:18 - Apr 22 with 1595 viewsblueislander

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:52 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

RObson broke our transfer record 6 times in his 13 years here....

Frank Clarke - £40k
Jummy Robertson - £54k
Allan Hunter - £60k
David Johnson - £100k
Paul Mariner - £220k
Kevin O'Callaghan - £250k

And the most expensive was the least effective.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 11:19 - Apr 22 with 1590 viewsRadlett_blue

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 10:45 - Apr 22 by Churchman

WBA were in for him too so he was well touted, but still something of a risk to spend so much on a 2nd division player e.g. Derek Hales. However, that's what a good manager or scouting network does.
The most impressive thing about SBR's transfer record was that very few players whom he let go did much after leaving Town & most of them were sold for decent fees.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 11:19 - Apr 22 with 1589 viewsGeoffSentence

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 11:18 - Apr 22 by blueislander

And the most expensive was the least effective.

Still a very good player though, I really liked O'Callaghan.

Apparently he was an excellent goalkeeper too, when fit.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 12:19 - Apr 22 with 1527 viewsPJH

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 11:19 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

I know that he was supposedly 'signed for the future' but still a rather strange signing at the time in as much we were signing a winger for a team that played without wingers.

He did make some useful contributions and was certainly handy to have as a substitute (when there was only one sub in domestic football) but overall he turned out to be a bit disappointing for me.

Over his five years at PR he started 88 games and came on as a sub 59 times, scoring 5 goals.
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 12:27 - Apr 22 with 1494 viewsBluespeed225

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 08:35 - Apr 22 by Churchman

Yup, couldn’t head, but when he did, he did ok! The Semi final goal was almost identical to the one against Barcelona..
I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 12:32 - Apr 22 with 1476 viewschicoazul

I think Ipswich had its best team from 79-82.... their ages!! on 11:19 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

Shame they broke his arm in Escape to Victory in that case, and replaced him with some bloody Yank.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024