Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure how to feel about the new season 08:54 - May 10 with 1343 viewsitfc_bucks

I remember sitting in the pre-season friendly, as Hurst started the job. Got interviewed by Look Norwich and remember saying that he had a track record of success and sounded like a winner. We had an exciting summer of ins and outs on the horizon.

Now we know how that worked out.

And where are we now? We have an exciting manager, track record of success and sounds like a winner, with an exciting summer of ins and outs ahead.
Not sure how to feel about the new season on 08:56 - May 10 with 1298 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The slight difference of decent managerial experience and Evans not trying to slash the wage bill might come into play this time.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:04 - May 10 with 1251 viewsDarth_Koont

I think League One and a manager who knows who and what he’s dealing with are massive differences.

But yeah, we’ve had a LOT more false dawns than real ones.

Pronouns: He/Him

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:06 - May 10 with 1239 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Let’s hope we do the reverse and acquire championship quality players whilst a league one side.
Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:08 - May 10 with 1221 viewsGuthrum

I think we'll have a clearer idea over the next day or so, once we've found out exactly who is staying and who leaving. What the real scale of the squad changes will be.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:14 - May 10 with 1172 viewsSteve_M

Yes, it's wise to be cautious and, despite a more positive end to the season, I remain a bit disappointed with Cook so far.

With Hurst though, I had major doubts before the season started because we had lost so much Championship experience (it was only a year earlier we went through the season badly after failing to replace Murphy) and replaced those players with more optimistic signings. Those were compounded when it all fell apart 20 minutes into the first match of the season, Hurst never got going again after that.

I think Cook has more experience, League 1 is far weaker than the attractional Championship and, with the new owners, we'll bring players in far more quickly than Evans managed in Summer 2018.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:17 - May 10 with 1148 viewsChiefXL

The significant difference now is the ownership and infrastructure that is being embedded behind Cook giving him a much greater chance of success than Hurst ever had.
The league is going to be hard... on 09:25 - May 10 with 1101 viewsunstableblue

... yes the league was 'easy' to get into the play-offs this year, no one pulling away, some poor form all round

See my other post on likely teams

But next season feels different...
League One Competition 21/22 Season - thoughts? by unstableblue 10 May 2021 9:18
See below potential make-up of the league and our competition, in CAPITALS, those who look likely promotion challengers (9-11 teams will push us)

3 will remain from the teams in the Championship Play-offs:
BLACKPOOL
SUNDERLAND
LINCOLN
OXFORD

Coming down from the Championship:
WYCOMBE
ROTHERHAM
SHEFF WEDS

Remaining in league:
CHARLTON
PORTSMOUTH
Gillingham
Accrington Stanley
Crewe Alexandra
MK DONS
DONCASTER ROVERS
Fleetwood Town
Burton Albion
Shrewsbury Town
Plymouth Argyle
AFC Wimbledon
WIGAN

Coming up from League Two
Cheltenham
Cambridge
Bolton

Potentially coming up from League Two (1 from these four):
Morecombe
Newport
Forest Green
Tranmere

One things for sure if you thought it was embarassing texting mates saying you've just played Fleetwood Town.... Forest Green Rovers, Morecombe, Cheltenham shall increase THE SHAME!

Oxford started poorly, but they're back into playing their great brand of football.. and may remain

Lincoln bedded in a lot of players and have made the play-offs and may remain

Rotherham were a good side and should have stayed in the Championship

Charlton have a good manager and set-up and are improving already

MK Dons with a 20 goal striker

etc etc

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:31 - May 10 with 1040 viewsclive_baker

The proof is in the pudding of course, but the noises are promising in terms of what we're looking to do. I can see the comparisons with Hurst and the 'new dawn' he promised, but I do think the new owners have already started putting their money where their mouths are by way of 'structure', and had Cook not had the reasons to believe we'll do something in the transfer market I don't think he would've been quite so aggressive in his demolition man releasing of the likes of Chambers. They're promising signs, and the whispers are encouraging in terms of the willingness to invest.

If I'm honest I don't think Cook has gone about his stint in the best way since he's joined. It felt like he had written off a lot of this squad quite early which inevitably led to some limp performances, as they knew their days were numbered. This season was still firmly alive when he joined, I never saw it as a 'free hit' and personally I would've told the players what they wanted to hear about lucrative new contracts if we're promoted to try and get a tune from them. It's all ifs and but's, but had we snuck into 6th I wouldn't have been too afraid of a playoff semi against Blackpool then final vs. either Lincoln or Sunderland. 19 points from a possible 48 is dire. Extrapolate that PPG over a season and we're about 17th. I appreciate the circumstances are difficult, but however you cut that it's a poor return and so frustrating when you look at some of those missed opportunities.

I don't think Cook has become a bad manager overnight though, and think he can only really be judged 10-15 games into next season if we're to be fair on him. He has my full backing, what's done is done and I hope he takes the drastic action needed to correct the malaise that we're all so tired of witnessing.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:48 - May 10 with 948 viewsGarv

I'm fully behind Cook but we've again recruited a manager based on previous success and, I suspect, not much forward planning/thinking. That's not to say he won't be successful again but it won't go on forever. Getting the positions above the manager filled is huge, so if we get those right that'll be a big step.

Exciting times ahead as you say, and that's what football's about!

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:54 - May 10 with 909 viewschrismakin

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:48 - May 10 by Garv

I'm fully behind Cook but we've again recruited a manager based on previous success and, I suspect, not much forward planning/thinking. That's not to say he won't be successful again but it won't go on forever. Getting the positions above the manager filled is huge, so if we get those right that'll be a big step.

Exciting times ahead as you say, and that's what football's about!

Again recruited a manager on previous success

Erm.... what did you want. Someone who was successful in 2024?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:58 - May 10 with 875 viewschrismakin

Difference for me

With all the off field stuff going on, the oversized squad. Injuries to our main players and unavailability of our better ones.. PC had still only lost 5 of his 16 games in charge.

PC has yet to lose at home

Downes and dozzell have shown they can play in a midfield the way PC wants them too
Dobra has shown he can come into the picture

PC also has experience in bringing in changes for this level. Hurst didnt have any experience at the level he found himself in.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 10:09 - May 10 with 830 viewsclive_baker

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 09:58 - May 10 by chrismakin

Difference for me

With all the off field stuff going on, the oversized squad. Injuries to our main players and unavailability of our better ones.. PC had still only lost 5 of his 16 games in charge.

PC has yet to lose at home

Downes and dozzell have shown they can play in a midfield the way PC wants them too
Dobra has shown he can come into the picture

PC also has experience in bringing in changes for this level. Hurst didnt have any experience at the level he found himself in.

I'm sorry but that's some straw clutching right there. We've also only won 4 out of 16. We've drawn blanks against Wimbledon (twice), Rochdale, Northampton, Wigan, Fleetwood, MK Dons, Shrewsbury.

It's been absolute dross, lets not let a couple of dead rubber wins paper over that.

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 10:26 - May 10 with 767 viewschrismakin

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 10:09 - May 10 by clive_baker

I'm sorry but that's some straw clutching right there. We've also only won 4 out of 16. We've drawn blanks against Wimbledon (twice), Rochdale, Northampton, Wigan, Fleetwood, MK Dons, Shrewsbury.

It's been absolute dross, lets not let a couple of dead rubber wins paper over that.

No straw clutching, we know, PC knows, everyone knows we have been utterly toothless, at the end of the day, the season is over, so rather than keep the negativity going, take the positives and move on.

i've seen plenty to see what PC wants from HIS squad, PC has experience of doing what he is about to do at town

Trying to compare Hurst and PC is pointless as they both joined at different times, both have different experiences at the level they have been appointed.

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 10:28 - May 10 with 751 viewsclive_baker

Not sure how to feel about the new season on 10:26 - May 10 by chrismakin

No straw clutching, we know, PC knows, everyone knows we have been utterly toothless, at the end of the day, the season is over, so rather than keep the negativity going, take the positives and move on.

i've seen plenty to see what PC wants from HIS squad, PC has experience of doing what he is about to do at town

Trying to compare Hurst and PC is pointless as they both joined at different times, both have different experiences at the level they have been appointed.

Yeah, I think Cook would be the first to admit its been absolutely garbage. I don't think he'll be taking any solace from only losing 5.

Still, it's done now. We can all draw a line under that dross and remain cautiously optimistic for next season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024