Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambers ... 23:26 - May 11 with 3088 viewstimmy2guns

The recognition of long tenure - accepted
The state we are in under his captaincy - undeniable
The comparisons to the clubs greats - deluded

Take those blue tinted specs off - just because someone is here along time does not automatically qualify them as a great.

How many of you have colleagues who have served a long time and took the company to a worse place than it was when they were in partly responsible, to then be seen off with an award. Long servant.... = time to get paid... because lets face it - rate that against performance of this team (of which he is one man not the whole, but still a part of) leaves much to be desired.

We all love our club, but lets not be deluded about it. Some players are better than others, the more of the better ones we have the better we will progress. Chambers was not part of a team that progressed, but worse than stood still, regressed...

Chambers ... on 09:44 - May 12 with 484 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Chambers ... on 08:47 - May 12 by BlueySwede

I have just realised that a small portion (but very vocal) part of our fan base need to find scape goats for everything, and for some of them they have come in the form of Chambers (and to some extent Skuse). I am not comparing Chambers to Terry Butcher. Why should I? Different time, different state(s) of our beloved club.
One thing that has spoken for itself is that Chambers have been first on the teamsheet for several different managers during his time at the club. Yes, he makes the odd mistake and his legs have gone these last two seasons, but in general he has been very reliable, always giving his very best. I just hope we have many more players in the future with his commitment.

I am not looking for a scapegoat, he was one of many players who really did not achieve much, I am not singling him out.

Fact it, he tried hard but did not achieve. Those are the facts.
Chambers ... on 09:48 - May 12 with 478 viewsBlueBadger

Chambers ... on 09:18 - May 12 by chrismakin

You need to think before you post.

Whole lotta people in this thread(including the OP)have been looking at you and thinking 'if he can make the step up from New Comments, So Can I' and it turns out it's harder than it looks!
[Post edited 12 May 2021 9:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Chambers ... on 09:52 - May 12 with 460 viewsRadlett_blue

Chambers ... on 23:28 - May 11 by J2BLUE

Who exactly are you arguing against? Most people are saying similar. Great servant and great man but not a legend.

It's good these days to have had a player of such longevity, given the number of mediocre, forgettable players who have flitted in & out of Ipswich Town in the last 10 years. However, the word "servant" is anachronistic in the extreme in the days of highly paid professional footballers.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Chambers ... on 10:00 - May 12 with 450 viewsBlueBadger

Chambers ... on 09:05 - May 12 by EdwardF

I will say and think whatever I f in want to. You, and your views, have absolutely no leverage with me

I've never seen this 'Brave' Blue do anything other than cry about stuff. I'm starting to think he may not have chosen his username very well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Chambers ... on 10:05 - May 12 with 436 viewsdirtyboy

Chambers ... on 09:44 - May 12 by BlueBlueBluex2

I am not looking for a scapegoat, he was one of many players who really did not achieve much, I am not singling him out.

You're not singling him out, but it's a team game.

You can't achieve much when a) manager wasn't very good b) players around you weren't much cop either
Chambers ... on 10:35 - May 12 with 409 viewsBlueBadger

Chambers ... on 07:59 - May 12 by Pendejo

Anyone care to comment?

Luke Chambers arrived at Town in 2012, a year after Skuse - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

I should also state that I’ve got no reason to go all out on the defensive for these guys.

You can probably count on one hand the number of people who have seen them both play live for Ipswich more times than me. I started covering Ipswich Town in 2011, with Luke arriving in 2012 and Cole rocking up a year later. We were all born within 15 months of each other.

Typical Archant poor proof reading.

What came first?
The Chambers or the Skuse?

On the basis that Jewell signed him, Chambers.

Chambers ... on 11:10 - May 12 with 380 viewsBlueySwede

Chambers ... on 09:44 - May 12 by BlueBlueBluex2

Strange logic in my opinion.
So according to you every player that never wins promotion or titles during his or her time at a club isn´t achieving much? Regardless the state of the club, quality of team mates, etc? Chambers have been playing football at a higher level than many boys and girl around the globe ever will, and only dream about. That is an achievement according to me.
Chambers ... on 11:15 - May 12 with 382 viewsBiGDonnie

Proper harsh on Chambo this one.

I'd class him as a legend. Never gave less than 110% and has worked bloody hard at Ipswich for a long time. Never has he even been close to being the worst player we've got on the field at any one time.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Chambers ... on 11:24 - May 12 with 372 viewsjonbull88

Based on your assessment we will no longer create new legends. The amount of people who have spoken out about what chambers is like is good enough for me. He might not have lifted the championship trophy or any trophy during his time here but I think that speaks volumes for the whole state of the team which people know overall haven’t been good enough. Hence bar a few seasons we’ve been lower down the pecking order.

I consider myself luck to have met the bloke several times and I hope he goes off to either complete the last few years of his playing career or makes a decent step in to management. I just wish he’d played with a better overall team. Not many come in the form of chambers, and I doubt we’ll see many more for a while.
Chambers ... on 11:30 - May 12 with 357 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Chambers ... on 11:10 - May 12 by BlueySwede

Strange logic in my opinion.
So according to you every player that never wins promotion or titles during his or her time at a club isn´t achieving much? Regardless the state of the club, quality of team mates, etc? Chambers have been playing football at a higher level than many boys and girl around the globe ever will, and only dream about. That is an achievement according to me.

Yes, that's about right.

You play sport to win. If you don't win anything, then harsh as it may be, you have failed. Failed to achieve and failed to deliver what you set out to do.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. Passionate and loyal and I can vividly remember him crashing through the security gate at the Churchmans end and badly damaging his wrist. Quick bit of tape and he is back at it, snapping at heels and crunching into tackles, lovely stuff.

It does not detract from the fact that he did not win a thing. It could be because he was not very good, was surrounded by dross or was badly managed. We will never know, but it was likely a bit of all three.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024