Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very disappointed 17:23 - May 12 with 8588 viewsHalifaxBlue

that the club has given a contract to a man who barely two years ago was convicted of sending death threats to his wife.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Very disappointed on 18:07 - May 12 with 923 viewschrismakin

Very disappointed on 18:05 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I do also believe in people's chance to rehabilitate following punishment.

I would hope that the club may have further detail that gives them confidence in his character at this point in time.

Rehabilitate all he likes. In a none role model job.

You'll have kids on social media reading twtd confirmation of Jeffers joining and included in that is the lovely story behind the man.

It shouldn't happen at this level I'm afraid.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Very disappointed on 18:09 - May 12 with 924 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Very disappointed on 17:54 - May 12 by chrismakin

Where do you stand on mental abuse?

As a victim, his wife was genuinely scared for her life. So ignoring the 'intent' of jeffers to do anything. It was still mentally abusive towards here.

Do you know the full story? Do you know what she did to him re mental abuse?

Non of this is anything to do with us and not being there and knowing everything that went on suggests I shouldn't make aspersions on either side.

It's a domestic dispute that got out of hand and presumably has nothing to do with his ability to do his job.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Very disappointed on 18:10 - May 12 with 916 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Very disappointed on 17:54 - May 12 by Mullet

I think the timescale is as pertinent as the offences. There is every chance that moving to the other end of the country and very different environs is exactly what he needs.

But it is disappointing that the club will support all kinds of causes but not consider the optics behind this.

Those telling objectors to shut up, or being ironically more aggressive sort of the strengthen the argument don't they?

I'm lolling at Mullet calling people out for being aggressive.
[Post edited 12 May 2021 18:14]

Very disappointed on 18:11 - May 12 with 921 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 18:07 - May 12 by chrismakin

You'll have kids on social media reading twtd confirmation of Jeffers joining and included in that is the lovely story behind the man.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm not sure I would have appointed him.

But I also don't claim to know all the facts or have an insight into his rehabilitation thus far.

I'm not sure that kids genuinely hold first team football coaches as their role models.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Very disappointed on 18:13 - May 12 with 911 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 17:56 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'd imagine all of us have done and said some very silly things, including Halifax.

I can ensure you that, if death threats fall under the tier of "very silly things", I haven't done any very silly things.

Very disappointed on 18:14 - May 12 with 905 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I don't tend to see first team football coaches (not even the manager) as role models, but maybe that's just me.

Very disappointed on 18:18 - May 12 with 889 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 18:09 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Non of this is anything to do with us and not being there and knowing everything that went on suggests I shouldn't make aspersions on either side.

It's a domestic dispute that got out of hand and presumably has nothing to do with his ability to do his job.

See, the problem with this kind of statement, is that you can apply it to literally any domestic dispute. No matter what happened, you can always always make this argument. Of course we weren't there, and don't know both sides. This is why we look at actual evidence.

Very disappointed on 18:19 - May 12 with 882 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Very disappointed on 18:13 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

I can ensure you that, if death threats fall under the tier of "very silly things", I haven't done any very silly things.

You're using specifics to avoid the point. Have you never done anything you regretted? Have you never done anything that was wrong? Have you never done anything that's illegal?

It was a domestic. Things get said in the heat of the moment. I've not been involved in anything that bad but I can understand why such things get out of control. Should either party be vilified for life for it?

Login to get fewer ads

Very disappointed on 18:24 - May 12 with 865 viewsHalifaxBlue

Very disappointed on 18:11 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not saying it's right, I'm not sure I would have appointed him.

But I also don't claim to know all the facts or have an insight into his rehabilitation thus far.

I'm not sure that kids genuinely hold first team football coaches as their role models.

I think benefit of the doubt has to be earned, he has to show now that he has rehabilitated. Also, I see no reason to believe he has even taken steps towards rehabilitation. It was not part of his sentence. He was only fined and handed a restraining order.

On the coaches as role models point - surely if the players WANT to hold their coaches as role models, they should be able to?

Also, I am fine with this discussion and hope I'm not coming of snidey or aggressive. It's just a very important issue to me personally and it's important to actually talk about I think. I know most on here are coming from genuinely good places : )

Very disappointed on 18:25 - May 12 with 857 viewsgtsb1966

Very disappointed on 18:33 - May 12 with 830 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 18:24 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

I think benefit of the doubt has to be earned, he has to show now that he has rehabilitated. Also, I see no reason to believe he has even taken steps towards rehabilitation. It was not part of his sentence. He was only fined and handed a restraining order.

On the coaches as role models point - surely if the players WANT to hold their coaches as role models, they should be able to?

Also, I am fine with this discussion and hope I'm not coming of snidey or aggressive. It's just a very important issue to me personally and it's important to actually talk about I think. I know most on here are coming from genuinely good places : )

You are making a lot of assumptions relating to his rehabilitation, and that's why I said we don't have all the facts and I would hope that the club have satisfied themselves that he has moved on and improved.

It's a tough call for the club to make.

At the end of the day, none of us know enough detail to judge.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Very disappointed on 18:34 - May 12 with 826 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Very disappointed on 18:18 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

See, the problem with this kind of statement, is that you can apply it to literally any domestic dispute. No matter what happened, you can always always make this argument. Of course we weren't there, and don't know both sides. This is why we look at actual evidence.

I see you still haven't answered my question. I've asked you twice now.

What you've posted here - "No matter what happened, you can always always make this argument" - is why I stay out of it. I don't know the fully story. I don't know if he's changed. He paid the price for his crime and we move on.

I have a vested interest. I was accused of something by an ex. She even had the police turn up at my work to interview me. I was an absolute mess at what was happening... to such an extent that one of the officers said, "Look, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but she's well known to us for making such complaints. But we have to follow it up." It was all lies (I think she was a paranoid schizophrenic) but it was absolute hell for me.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but we don't know the full story, we don't know context, we don't know if he's changed, we don't know if she's forgiven him etc etc. I think this sort of stuff is nothing to do with us. The manager has deemed him fit enough for the job. He hasn't appointed a murderer. All this self-righteous judgement sits very badly with me.

i understand your distaste to an extent. I wouldn't want us to employ Ched Evans for example. But you have to draw a line and I guess our lines differ.

Very disappointed on 18:38 - May 12 with 806 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Very disappointed on 18:33 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

You are making a lot of assumptions relating to his rehabilitation, and that's why I said we don't have all the facts and I would hope that the club have satisfied themselves that he has moved on and improved.

It's a tough call for the club to make.

At the end of the day, none of us know enough detail to judge.

Is that enough details for you?

At the time, Lorraine Barton, prosecuting, said Jeffers was separated from his wife Lucy and an "incident" took place outside his flat."

Police attended the scene and found Jeffers holding a broomstick and Mr Boden with "some injuries".

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Very disappointed on 18:41 - May 12 with 801 viewsForza_Blue

Very disappointed on 18:18 - May 12 by HalifaxBlue

"This is why we look at actual evidence"... I'm guessing the courts already did that.

Whether you like it or not, his punishment has been served. I'm firmly in the second chance camp. It's not up to us to cast judgement on someone we don't know, about circumstances we don't fully know about.

He's made some mistakes, but I don't think we need some holier than thou, faceless, nameless upstarts on a football forum vilifying him for getting a job. I'm not actually sure why Phil felt the need to add his personal past to the story anyway to be honest.
Very disappointed on 18:46 - May 12 with 792 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 18:38 - May 12 by OriginalMarkyP

Is that enough details for you?

At the time, Lorraine Barton, prosecuting, said Jeffers was separated from his wife Lucy and an "incident" took place outside his flat."

Police attended the scene and found Jeffers holding a broomstick and Mr Boden with "some injuries".

You've missed the point entirely.

I wasn't disputing he had been found guilty of crimes (as have hall of famers Alan Brazil and Kevin beattie).

I was saying he has served his punishment, and we don't know the details of his rehabilitation.

Very disappointed on 18:59 - May 12 with 732 viewsMerseyBlue

I have no issue with Jeffers coming here to be a coach. I don't like this constant need for people to be judge, jury and executioner that goes under the guise of cancel culture.

I don't mean to be flippant as I know domestic abuse and drink driving is an emotive issue. I just don't believe indefinitely chastising someone to be an effective way of dealing with that.

The threats Jeffers made to his ex are abhorrent, but nobody knows what went before that. It doesn't excuse it, but nobody knows what events culminated in him making the threats he made.

Under extreme pressure, good people can do disgusting things - I have seen it first hand. Like I say, it doesn't excuse it but I do believe people should have a chance to improve themselves.

Life is never as clear-cut as a rag like the Liverpool Echo would have you believe. Jeffers now has an opportunity to get his head down with a change of scenery, if he has some sort of relapse into this kind of behaviour whilst working for us, then that is an issue we need to deal with.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Very disappointed on 19:02 - May 12 with 720 viewschrismakin

Very disappointed on 18:09 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Would you welcome a rapist then. As he may be good at his job tho.

Or a killer. Could be good too.

I dont need to know the ins and outs.

It's quite simple

Drink driving conviction and refused to even do the test
Domestic abuse case which included death threats to his wife with the victim in fear for her life.

I dont need to know why it happend.

Asking what she did to him is just like saying she wore a dress so she wanted it.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Very disappointed on 19:06 - May 12 with 703 views44_not_out

Very disappointed on 19:02 - May 12 by chrismakin

It's quite simple

Domestic abuse case which included death threats to his wife with the victim in fear for her life.

Asking what she did to him is just like saying she wore a dress so she wanted it.

I am in no way defending Jeffers..... but interested to hear your thoughts on club legends having statues built?
Very disappointed on 19:09 - May 12 with 686 viewschrismakin

Very disappointed on 19:06 - May 12 by 44_not_out

I am in no way defending Jeffers..... but interested to hear your thoughts on club legends having statues built?

Who and why is it relevant first

Very disappointed on 19:11 - May 12 with 674 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very disappointed on 19:09 - May 12 by chrismakin

Who and why is it relevant first

He is referring to Kevin Beattie.

Fellow hall of famer Alan Brazil also has a criminal record.

Very disappointed on 19:13 - May 12 with 664 viewschrismakin

Very disappointed on 19:11 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont know what they did.

Very disappointed on 19:15 - May 12 with 657 viewsForza_Blue

It's quite simple

He hasn't been convicted of domestic abuse. Have you even bothered to read any reports on the case?
Very disappointed on 19:16 - May 12 with 654 viewsMerseyBlue

It's quite simple

Why do you get to judge whether a person is allowed to be employed in their chosen profession? Do you not believe that people can be rehabilitated?

On your last point, it's actually quite different from that. Some years ago, two close friends of mine were in a relationship. It was a horrible, toxic relationship where the man would often ruin evenings spent together by constantly and persistently belittling his partner in front of the rest of us as a group of friends.

It ended up in a fight between us and him on many occasions, and although he had been our friend longer, we used to beg her to break up with him. She never would, she just used to take it and it got to the point where they stopped getting invited out.

Several months down the line, finally at her limit she ended up smashing him over the head with a dumbell.

Now that's not something that she ever would have done under normal circumstances, but she was pushed to it. Does that make it right? No, absolutely not.

Nobody knows the circumstances behind what happened with Jeffers - he might just be an absolute scumbag, or he might have acted like an absolute scumbag because he was provoked.

We don't know, so we shouldn't judge. If he comes here, keeps his nose clean and does his job well, that's OK in my book.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Very disappointed on 19:20 - May 12 with 639 views44_not_out

Very disappointed on 19:11 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Maybe we shouldn’t tell him
Very disappointed on 19:22 - May 12 with 627 viewschrismakin

Very disappointed on 19:15 - May 12 by Forza_Blue

He hasn't been convicted of domestic abuse. Have you even bothered to read any reports on the case?

I only said his drink drive was a conviction.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024