Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? 12:19 - Jun 7 with 2790 viewschicoazul

Probably France innit.
My not-too-left field prediction; Italy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:31 - Jun 7 with 1342 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:28 - Jun 7 by noggin

Huh? 🤷‍♂️

I'm just pondering why the relative mental strength of, for example, the 1970 England World Cup squad, might be relevant to England's chances in the 2020 European Championship.

Football teams having eternal souls being one possible explanation.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:38 - Jun 7 with 1330 viewsnoggin

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:31 - Jun 7 by jayessess

I'm just pondering why the relative mental strength of, for example, the 1970 England World Cup squad, might be relevant to England's chances in the 2020 European Championship.

Football teams having eternal souls being one possible explanation.

You made a comment about there being big medal winners in the squad. I'm just saying England squads have often had European Cup/CL medal winners in them. Doesn't mean they have the mental strength as a squad, to win international tournaments.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:40 - Jun 7 with 1321 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland

will at least get a point somewhere along the way, probably at Wembley...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:44 - Jun 7 with 1310 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:38 - Jun 7 by noggin

You made a comment about there being big medal winners in the squad. I'm just saying England squads have often had European Cup/CL medal winners in them. Doesn't mean they have the mental strength as a squad, to win international tournaments.

but, and correct me if I'm wrong, your reason for believing they lack mental strength seemed to be simply that they "always" do so?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:46 - Jun 7 with 1305 viewscressi

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:31 - Jun 7 by MerseyBlue

France or Portugal for me. England are going to have to improve massively just to make it to the knock outs.

France, Portugal, outsider's
Italy and Spain
Don't know if Belgium have a winners mentally England simply Not good enough and pinning one's hope on Maguire really he would never have played before Ferdinand, Terry or Cambell in the day and England won nothing why now
Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:51 - Jun 7 with 1294 viewsnoggin

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:44 - Jun 7 by jayessess

but, and correct me if I'm wrong, your reason for believing they lack mental strength seemed to be simply that they "always" do so?

As a national team, which is what we're discussing, they do.

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:55 - Jun 7 with 1280 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:46 - Jun 7 by cressi

France, Portugal, outsider's
Italy and Spain
Don't know if Belgium have a winners mentally England simply Not good enough and pinning one's hope on Maguire really he would never have played before Ferdinand, Terry or Cambell in the day and England won nothing why now

Is it really that strange to see a team featuring 7 finalists from the biggest club competition in Europe as contenders for being the best team in Europe?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:00 - Jun 7 with 1270 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:51 - Jun 7 by noggin

As a national team, which is what we're discussing, they do.

so you see my point about "eternal souls", right?

Login to get fewer ads

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:02 - Jun 7 with 1267 viewsnoggin

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:00 - Jun 7 by jayessess

so you see my point about "eternal souls", right?

No. I said England always lack mental strength and that has been the case since 66.

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:35 - Jun 7 with 1235 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:02 - Jun 7 by noggin

No. I said England always lack mental strength and that has been the case since 66.

So, Phil Foden lacks mental strength because Peter Bonetti did?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:36 - Jun 7 with 1230 viewsBiGDonnie

It looks as though it's France's to lose, but Germany, not particularly fancied by many, will probably get to at least the final.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:44 - Jun 7 with 1208 viewstractordownsouth

Portugal to beat France in the final

England knocked out in the last 16

Wales out in the group stage

Denmark to reach the semis

Lukaku golden boot

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:46 - Jun 7 with 1203 viewsnoggin

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:35 - Jun 7 by jayessess

So, Phil Foden lacks mental strength because Peter Bonetti did?

No, that's a stupid comment, with respect. Your point was that England are mentally strong because some players have Champions League medals. I'm just saying that hasn't been the case in previous years.

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:53 - Jun 7 with 1187 viewsBLUEBEAT

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:07 - Jun 7 by SomethingBlue

Turkey are the dark horse.

My son, who is a major stat nerd, also says Turkey.

An England/Turkey final, no less.

Poll: W or W

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:56 - Jun 7 with 1186 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:46 - Jun 7 by noggin

No, that's a stupid comment, with respect. Your point was that England are mentally strong because some players have Champions League medals. I'm just saying that hasn't been the case in previous years.

Yes, it was a stupid comment, that was the point I was making.

We've still not got any closer to why you think all these English players lack mental strength.

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 16:10 - Jun 7 with 1174 viewsnoggin

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:56 - Jun 7 by jayessess

Yes, it was a stupid comment, that was the point I was making.

We've still not got any closer to why you think all these English players lack mental strength.

Oh dear, this isn't easy. My prediction was that England won't win the tournament because, as usual, they will lack the mental strength to win it. My reasoning is that England squads have lacked the mental strength to win a tournament over many years. Your reasoning for not agreeing with me, is that some of the players in the squad have won CL medals. Now here's the thing, I don't think that's a good reason because having European Cup/CL winners in the squad is not unique to this year.

I'll leave it at that as I don't think we're getting anywhere.

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 16:15 - Jun 7 with 1163 viewstractordownsouth

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 14:09 - Jun 7 by TractorCam

Christ if we came 2nd in our group and then went out to a fairly poor Spain side Southgate should leave on the spot like Hodgson did.

It's coming home!

I’d fancy us to beat Spain. Only teams I’m scared of are France, Portugal, Belgium and Italy. Which is why it’s annoying we’re likely to get one of the first two in the second round

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 16:36 - Jun 7 with 1146 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 15:44 - Jun 7 by tractordownsouth

Portugal to beat France in the final

England knocked out in the last 16

Wales out in the group stage

Denmark to reach the semis

Lukaku golden boot

I could see three of these happening, if not four.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 16:40 - Jun 7 with 1140 viewsjudespiveyg

Surprised to see so little belief in Germany. Results have been indifferent lately but they have a very strong squad on paper and a history of getting the job done when it matters.
World class keeper in Neuer.
Full backs are nothing to write home about but Hummels and Rudiger are quality centre halves with pretty good cover in Sule.
Superb midfield options of Kimmich, Kroos, Goretzka, Gundogan and Havertz.
Attacking options of Werner, Sane, Gnabry and of course the superstar Muller.
Hard to see many sides as good on paper, France yes, England, Portugal and Belgium maybe.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 18:16 - Jun 7 with 1096 viewsjayessess

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 16:15 - Jun 7 by tractordownsouth

I’d fancy us to beat Spain. Only teams I’m scared of are France, Portugal, Belgium and Italy. Which is why it’s annoying we’re likely to get one of the first two in the second round

Gotta be a way to beat a team that's lining up a back line as slow as Alderweireld-Vertonghen-Vermaelen.

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 19:01 - Jun 7 with 1079 views26_Paz

England! Only joking
Quite fancy Portugal
I’ve got Germany in the sweepstake so hoping they do one of their ‘never write off the Germans’ stories
[Post edited 7 Jun 2021 22:27]

The Paz Man

Who’s going to win Euro 2020 then boyos? on 19:01 - Jun 7 with 1079 viewsOldboy

France, Germany and Portugal all in the same group. Who ever wins the group, I think will win it. Outside shout for Turkey.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024