Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tartan army appreciation thread 07:40 - Jun 18 with 2744 viewsbluelagos

Genoa in Italia 90 was the port to get a ferry to Sardinia where England were playing. Having just missed a ferry (one a day) I had the pleasure of spending a day with the tartan army in all their glory.

Some lads filled supermarket trollies with beer and lowered them into the fountains to keep the beer cool. Plenty of footie games vs the locals, the plod and the few England fans (was on way to 2nd match so most were already in Sardinia)

Favourite moment was a local Sampdoria pestering the fans to swap a Scotland shirt for a Sampdoria one (Sounness was a link) and getting thrown in the fountain. He wasn't happy but a couple of cans calmed him down.

Not a hint of bother 48 hours before the infamous England v Holland clashes. They sort of self police without the overt aggression you sometimes get with England.

Trust today is a fun if losing day for them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:22 - Jun 18 with 379 viewsMattinLondon

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:19 - Jun 18 by noggin

I believe a few thousand English 'lads' are banned from leaving the country when the national team are playing.

Should be banned from travelling abroad full-stop.
Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:22 - Jun 18 with 379 viewschicoazul

Tartan army appreciation thread on 07:42 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sounds different to the Rangers fans I witnessed in Manchester.

I suspect 99% of England fans are fine too, let's not tar them all with the same brush.

Rangers fans are a different breed.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:23 - Jun 18 with 377 viewsbrazil1982

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:13 - Jun 18 by giant_stow

With Scotland supporting, how do rangers and celtic fans rub along?

Celtic fans support Ireland, Rangers generally dont support Scotland.
Not all obviously but that's the general way it goes.

The Jocks are generally well behaved although not so much when I went to Hampden in 1999!
Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:24 - Jun 18 with 377 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:19 - Jun 18 by noggin

I believe a few thousand English 'lads' are banned from leaving the country when the national team are playing.

Maybe that's played a role?

In Japan, at the airport I witnessed a couple of nutters refused entry and put on planes home. That does help am sure.

The other thing is the numbers. At Italia 90 you had maybe 1500 of 2000 were genuine hardcore nutters. Now there might be 30-50k England fans in European awaydays so they are diluted in number.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:26 - Jun 18 with 364 viewsMattinLondon

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:16 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

Massively tbf

I went of World Cups in Italia 90, France 98 and Japan 02.

In Italia 90, I'd say 75% of fans (There were only ever 3k max there) were hardcore and ready for a fight. A chunk of them would instigate it and a load more jump in.

Contrast that now where it's probably less than 10% looking for a fight. So massive improvements imho.

So things take time to change? I’m not excusing bad behaviour, and those bell ends are still around, but hopefully in ten years or so that ten percent cent will be lower and lower.

Think England fans will have to simply live with having a bad reputation until trouble decreases and decreases.
Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:26 - Jun 18 with 360 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 08:05 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Although many Scotland fans you meet will also tell you how much they hate the English.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 8:06]

Maybe that's just you ;-)

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:29 - Jun 18 with 353 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:09 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

Given the levels of sectarianism at old firm matches, it's some contrast to how the TA conduct themselves, absolutely.

Some of that will be that many of the Rangers and Celtic fans more extreme fans won't follow Scotland. Plus there will be many fans from smaller clubs enjoying a chance for travel. But the overall point is they have managed to get a culture of fun, first and foremost.

Couple of Scottish mates put it thus "The problem with you lot is you actually convince yourselves you are going to win. We have no such illusions so simply go to enjoy ourselves"

You're prob right.

Not sure about convincing ourselves we are going to win, I think a lot of England fans are more nervous about losing.

Given the resources available, England should win, and I guess thats what raises the stakes for the fans.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:31 - Jun 18 with 356 viewsbluelagos

Login to get fewer ads

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:32 - Jun 18 with 352 viewsbluelagos

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:29 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

You're prob right.

Not sure about convincing ourselves we are going to win, I think a lot of England fans are more nervous about losing.

Given the resources available, England should win, and I guess thats what raises the stakes for the fans.

It's a b*gger, cos we win and no one blinks. We lose and we get grief off the Scots for ever.

I reckon a draw leaves everyone happy, but I'd grab a one goal win with both hands.

Tartan army appreciation thread on 09:49 - Jun 18 with 323 viewsbluelagos

Found these. That was the actual match the Scots were in Genoa for (The Sweden one)

Enjoy :-)

Tartan army appreciation thread on 11:30 - Jun 18 with 276 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. I wasn’t there at the time but a couple of years later I was working at a bar further along the coast from Genoa in a little place called Alassio.

The Tartan Army made quite an impression on the locals and was one of their fondest memories. In fact, that’s as much as anything why I got the job.

Bizarre to think of drunk men in skirts in that way but there’s always been a special atmosphere.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024