Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Falling... Back in love with football?! 09:34 - Jun 29 with 1058 viewsRobTheMonk

Towards the end of last season I'd lost my love for watching the game. Ipswich games were a borefest, players were falling over when brushed and the game felt hollow without the crowds.

Suddenly ITFC are signing exciting looking players on paper and our squad looks younger and fresher.

The Euro games are showing an intensity not seen for quite a while. The refereeing for the most part has also been brilliant. Less pandering to players falling over and trying to play advantage ends up encouraging players to try to stay on their feet. I really hope this type of reffing continues. The Argentine last night was exceptional.

And of course, the crowds being back in some sort of form has hugely added to the atmosphere and intensity of games.

It's a wonderful game when things are done right.
Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:37 - Jun 29 with 1028 viewsMattinLondon

So you only like football when things are going well?
Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:40 - Jun 29 with 1014 viewsRobTheMonk

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:37 - Jun 29 by MattinLondon

So you only like football when things are going well?

Okay, I'll bite.

Last 10 games for us last season were so boring I stopped watching. Don't care if that makes me tinpot of whatever, it wasn't worth the money. The squad didn't care and we knew we were losing most of them.

All of the other stuff is nothing to do with ITFC.

EDIT - The Euro's have shown how good it can be when things are done well.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 9:42]
Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:44 - Jun 29 with 998 viewsTractorCam

These refs have definitely been 'no nonsense' in this euros, an approach the English refs need to inherit.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:45 - Jun 29 with 988 viewsSwansea_Blue

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:40 - Jun 29 by RobTheMonk

Okay, I'll bite.

Last 10 games for us last season were so boring I stopped watching. Don't care if that makes me tinpot of whatever, it wasn't worth the money. The squad didn't care and we knew we were losing most of them.

They might still be boring come the start of the season! I hope not obviously, but proof of the pudding is in the easting and all that. At least we are changing things behind the scenes now that should give us more of a chance to get things right on the pitch.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:45 - Jun 29 with 983 viewsRobTheMonk

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:44 - Jun 29 by TractorCam

These refs have definitely been 'no nonsense' in this euros, an approach the English refs need to inherit.

It's genuinely been refreshing to see.

Someone being physically stronger is not a foul and it's great to see the refs saying 'get up, no foul'.
Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:46 - Jun 29 with 981 viewsMattinLondon

No nonsense referees and the players don’t argue as much - who would have thought that
Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:47 - Jun 29 with 967 viewsGarv

An embarrassment that it's taken until now for refereeing standards to change.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:50 - Jun 29 with 950 viewsN2_Blue

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:40 - Jun 29 by RobTheMonk

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm exactly the same, completely lost love of football, and watched so little on TV throughout the pandemic whether it be Ipswich or the PL.

Ipswich could lose every game but if there was effort, determination, team spirit and a cohesive game plan (whatever style/formation the manager lines up) I'd watch every game and give the lads my full backing. So it's nothing to do with things going right or being successful but Ipswich over recent times have been one of the most boring teams to watch and some of the players should have been ashamed and picking up a wage. At times certain players have mugged off the fans with their performances..i don't think they'd have got away with some of those had there been fans at PR.

Even the two good runs of form under Lambert at the start of each of the last two seasons didn't do much for me...so i hate it when people say oh you only like things when it's going well...its a cheap statement.

I have however renewed my ST and am looking forward with optimism to the new season and the Euros has certainly whetted my appetite for football again.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2021 9:51]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:52 - Jun 29 with 930 viewsSwansea_Blue

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:47 - Jun 29 by Garv

An embarrassment that it's taken until now for refereeing standards to change.

And ironic that it's Europeans leading the way given it was us that used to have the reputation for non nonsense football. It's gone full circle now and it's the PL that's full of diving prima donnas. Our use of VAR doesn't help either - spending 2 minutes trying to prove that there was the slightest bit of contact in order to justify a penalty isn't really what it should be used for.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 10:01 - Jun 29 with 906 viewsJimmyJazz

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 09:52 - Jun 29 by Swansea_Blue

And ironic that it's Europeans leading the way given it was us that used to have the reputation for non nonsense football. It's gone full circle now and it's the PL that's full of diving prima donnas. Our use of VAR doesn't help either - spending 2 minutes trying to prove that there was the slightest bit of contact in order to justify a penalty isn't really what it should be used for.

The use of VAR has been good in the Euros, not least the Swiss penalty last night. Player is fouled in the box, but tries to stay on his feet - still a penalty given. None of this if you're touched you have to go down otherwise you won't get a penalty nonsense, which pundits in our game accept is now the right thing to do

It's up to the Premier League to see how VAR can be used and try to replicate.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 10:09 - Jun 29 with 869 viewsclive_baker

The refereeing has been brilliant at the Euros. Of course anything unsafe or unsavoury is reprimanded, but it's so nice to see that they aren't all whistle happy and they're letting the games flow.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 12:05 - Jun 29 with 751 viewsRyorry

Bit of a sidetrack, but one very revealing aspect of the pandemic has for me been that without the presence of crowds, sport just isn't the same & actually holds little appeal for me - even racing, which I used to love watching. It's all about the atmosphere, noise, smells (burgers, hotdogs & onions anyone?!) & shared, live experiences - even if we never did get the SmellyVision we were once promised!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 12:57 - Jun 29 with 697 viewsRobTheMonk

Falling... Back in love with football?! on 12:05 - Jun 29 by Ryorry

Bit of a sidetrack, but one very revealing aspect of the pandemic has for me been that without the presence of crowds, sport just isn't the same & actually holds little appeal for me - even racing, which I used to love watching. It's all about the atmosphere, noise, smells (burgers, hotdogs & onions anyone?!) & shared, live experiences - even if we never did get the SmellyVision we were once promised!

For big events, the crowd really do help with the intensity. Those Swiss lads last night must have got a boost from the atmosphere.
Falling... Back in love with football?! on 13:04 - Jun 29 with 676 viewswkj

I think I am with you here. Since Roy Keane, supporting Ipswich felt like it was something I had to do, rather than I wanted to do.

I really don't feel any connection to the Euros this year though, I have no idea why. Maybe it's because of the new format of the Tourno being held all over the shop. I do love the World Cup feeling like we're getting a little glimpse into another world, especially the Japan/Korea tournament (one of my fave world cups over all)

Maybe it is just covid hangover.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024